PDA

View Full Version : Manny to return to Cleveland?

chisoxfanatic
04-13-2009, 01:39 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4063800

Although I highly doubt Thome would return...

DumpJerry
04-13-2009, 01:48 PM
Earth to Manny, Earth to Manny: The Tribe has to want you back to make it happen.

soltrain21
04-13-2009, 01:48 PM
I'm going to guess Thome retires after this year, unless he has a better than decent year. I could see it pretty hard for Thome to find work with how teams are now spending money.

Hitmen77
04-13-2009, 01:55 PM
I'm going to guess Thome retires after this year, unless he has a better than decent year. I could see it pretty hard for Thome to find work with how teams are now spending money.

If Thome comes close to last year's HR total, that'll put him tantalizingly close to reaching 600 HRs during the 2010 season. Barring a significant injury or significant drop off from his current level of production, I don't see him retiring at the end of this year.

soxinem1
04-13-2009, 01:58 PM
If it was so great there, why did he leave?

I know why:

$$$$$$

BleacherBandit
04-13-2009, 07:33 PM
Why Manny would say such a thing is a mystery to me. Boy can he hit the ball, but boy is he an idiot.

Noneck
04-13-2009, 10:45 PM
If Thome would return to Clev the way the fans have treated him since he left, I will lose respect for him. Please don't tell me it would be for money.

southside rocks
04-14-2009, 12:15 PM
Take a look at what Jim Thome said, in that linked story:

"Manny was very sincere when he brought that up to me," Thome said, according to the newspaper. "Manny was saying how special that would be for us to both go back together. He was very passionate. Baseball's such a weird thing. You never know what's going to happen."

Nowhere did Thome say that he had the slightest interest or intention of returning to Cleveland. In fact, the comment "he was very passionate" reads to me like nice-guy Jim saying "the guy was completely nuts and made no sense whatsoever."

JMO. Never say never, but the odds that Thome would go back to the Indians are about the same as the odds that Manny will stop being a goofball in this lifetime.

jabrch
04-14-2009, 12:25 PM
JMO. Never say never, but the odds that Thome would go back to the Indians are about the same as the odds that Manny will stop being a goofball in this lifetime.

The Indians already have Hafner and Victor Martinez. Add in Manny and Thome. You'd have an awful defense. Martinez would have to catch. Thome would DH. Manny would stay in LF and Hafner would be forced to play 1B every day. I can't see how that would be good for the Indians.

Konerko is a serviceable 1B - way better than Hafner would be. Dye is about average in RF - much better defensively of an OF than Manny. Has a strong arm, and is smart, just lacks speed/range. AJ is average to below average, but better than Victor. We gripe about the defense our older guys play...can you imagine if Cleve added Thome and Manny?

I don't see it. My bet is that Manny plays out this contract in LA. And I could see Thome sticking around in Chicago for another two years at a reduced price off his current deal.

Chez
04-14-2009, 01:10 PM
I don't see it. My bet is that Manny plays out this contract in LA. And I could see Thome sticking around in Chicago for another two years at a reduced price off his current deal.

I agree with you about Manny, but I don't see Thome coming back for two more years (even at a a reduced price) unless both Dye and Konerko are moved during or after this season. They need to open some slots for Viciendo and Becks. And you are right, no way Thome returns to Cleveland.

Red Barchetta
04-14-2009, 01:38 PM
Heck, why stop there? Call up Albert Belle and get him out of retirement. I heard the Cubs have a stock of corked bats in the clubhouse from Sosa that they could send to Cleveland.

I really, really, really, disliked that Cleveland team. The fans were obnoxious as well as I witnessed a few altercations at Comiskey II during that time.

CWSpalehoseCWS
04-14-2009, 02:30 PM
If Thome comes close to last year's HR total, that'll put him tantalizingly close to reaching 600 HRs during the 2010 season. Barring a significant injury or significant drop off from his current level of production, I don't see him retiring at the end of this year.

Yep. Currently he only needs 57 HR's to 600. If he can still produce like he did last year, then I actually wouldn't mind seeing the Sox sign him for next season to see if he can do it. Entirely depends on where we finish too though. If Thome ends up blocking someone from getting called up, then sorry Jim.