PDA

View Full Version : Joe Cowley Interview

Lip Man 1
04-13-2009, 11:02 AM
He has been known to stir the emotions of the fans at White Sox Interactive...he's Joe Cowley the latest individual to agree to a lengthy interview with WSI.

Joe is now in his 12th year as a Sox beat writer and has seen a lot in that time.

He talks about how he got into the business, his thoughts on the legacy of Kenny Williams and how the 2009 season might go a long way towards shaping it and the business of covering major league baseball, with some comments on subjects as diverse as "dollgate" to fan sites like White Sox Interactive.

I hope you'll enjoy reading it.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=11&id=3744

Lip

jackbrohamer
04-13-2009, 11:38 AM
Once again an excellent interview, thanks for posting it. Did he say why covering the cubs for a month-and-a-half put a bad taste in his mouth?

I was somewhat impressed that he confessed to being a troll on this board a few years ago and admitted that it was stupid; he could have denied it was him (though it was pretty clear at the time that it was). He didn't apologize, but then again I'm not one of the guys he needed to apologize to!

Lip Man 1
04-13-2009, 11:46 AM
Jack:

He didn't say why and I never asked him the follow up question because I didn't want the conversation to steer away from the Sox and start getting into areas where the Cubs were the main topic of discussion.

Lip

esbrechtel
04-13-2009, 11:48 AM
Nice job as usual Lip

Dibbs
04-13-2009, 12:09 PM
Great interview.

Could you imagine having your dad as owner of the White Sox, but having no desire to run the team when he steps down? Some people have it made!

chisox77
04-13-2009, 12:13 PM
Another great interview "score", Lip. I enjoy your work, and keep it up!

Irishsox1
04-13-2009, 01:14 PM
Given the current status of newspapers, beat writers like Crowley are important in that they get actual quotes from the players, so I'm hoping the beat writer doesn't get wiped out.

I don't always agree with Crowley's points of view and maybe others could do a better job, but he's there day in an day out with the Sox which is something that Mariotti, Couch or any blogger can't provide.

The Immigrant
04-13-2009, 01:25 PM
Nicely done, Lip. We appreciate the effort.

Hitmen77
04-13-2009, 01:49 PM
Thanks for the interview, Lip. I know Cowley gets a lot of flack on this site, but I like him for the most part. That doesn't mean I agree with everything he writes, but I generally like reading both him and Mark Gonzalez.

Goose
04-13-2009, 02:21 PM
Good interview. Thanks.

I was wondering if anyone can point me to the thread discussed in the article where he "went off". I'd like to read that.

thedudeabides
04-13-2009, 03:25 PM
Thanks Lip! Great interview.

NLaloosh
04-13-2009, 04:52 PM
You are a great interviewer, Mark ! Thanks.

34 Inch Stick
04-13-2009, 05:49 PM
Good interview. Thanks.

I was wondering if anyone can point me to the thread discussed in the article where he "went off". I'd like to read that.

We had a few angry personal messages between each other back in the day. I don't remember him posting too often in an open forum.

If he lurked in the past, he is still lurking. It would not make sense to stop.

Frater Perdurabo
04-13-2009, 09:05 PM
Another great piece of journalism, Lip!

russ99
04-13-2009, 09:11 PM
Great interview, Lip.

Cowley's had his run-ins with Sox fans over the years, but it's good to see his side of the story.

And as for Jerry' son, I can totally see that. I'd think he'd build his own success rather than pick up for his dad.

And I think that someone else from the ownership group would step forward if Jerry had to step down. They don't necessarily have to sell the team.

Frater Perdurabo
04-13-2009, 09:12 PM
Great interview, Lip.

Cowley's had his run-ins with Sox fans over the years, but it's good to see his side of the story.

And as for Jerry' son, I can totally see that. I'd think he'd build his own success rather than pick up for his dad.

And I think that someone else from the ownership group would step forward if Jerry had to step down. They don't necessarily have to sell the team.

Would Jerry like to adopt me? :D:

kaufsox
04-14-2009, 02:58 PM
Thanks Lip! Great interview. I really enjoy reading the "inside" information on the sportswriters profession.

Lundind1
04-14-2009, 02:59 PM
Nice article as always. Keep up the great work. Nice view into the thoughts of someone closely related to Soxdom.