PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Chicago Website - kicks off with Cool Sox Article...

SoxGirl4Life
04-12-2009, 08:06 PM
This ESPNChicago.com experiment is starting tomorrow. Its going to be interesting..

(Its a pretty long piece, fyi)

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/columns/story?columnist=greenberg_jon&id=4062352

:gulp:

oeo
04-12-2009, 08:18 PM
Somebody's been reading WSI. :tongue:

nedlug
04-12-2009, 08:19 PM
I liked it.

nedlug
04-12-2009, 08:19 PM
Somebody's been reading WSI. :tongue:

Wouldn't be a bad place to start :D:

soxfan43
04-12-2009, 08:20 PM
This ESPNChicago.com experiment is going to be something else..

I don't even know what to say...

(Its a pretty long piece, fyi)

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/columns/story?columnist=greenberg_jon&id=4062352

:gulp:

Some of it wasn't that bad. When did the espnchicago thing launch?

manders_01
04-12-2009, 08:24 PM
I liked it. :shrug:

SoxGirl4Life
04-12-2009, 08:26 PM
Oh I liked it too. I had the same feeling that they must be reading WSI!

SoxGirl4Life
04-12-2009, 08:27 PM
Some of it wasn't that bad. When did the espnchicago thing launch?

It launches tomorrow, but they're putting out random pieces. I don't know exactly what to expect from them, tho.

hi im skot
04-12-2009, 08:28 PM
I loved it.

Thanks for linking.

chisox77
04-12-2009, 08:34 PM
I liked it, too. And I did't feel patronized, which is even better.

manders_01
04-12-2009, 08:34 PM
Oh I liked it too. I had the same feeling that they must be reading WSI!

Whoops, sorry. I got the impression that you didn't. :redface:

thomas35forever
04-12-2009, 08:37 PM
A great piece. It sets the mindset of a true White Sox fan just about perfectly. Major props to the author.

guillensdisciple
04-12-2009, 08:37 PM
There is an ESPN Chicago? Will it be online?

Loved the article, thanks a lot for the link!

rowand33
04-12-2009, 09:09 PM
Loved this.

october23sp
04-12-2009, 09:10 PM
I too, got the feeling, that was written after he did some research on these boards.:D:

Gavin
04-12-2009, 09:21 PM
That was awesome.

guillensdisciple
04-12-2009, 09:27 PM
I am a hundred percent positive I met the bad-ass sox fan before at a Walgreen's near Depaul. He was tattooed White Sox everywhere and had that Bears logo on his forearm. I find that kind of cool now that I think about it.

SoxGirl4Life
04-12-2009, 09:32 PM
Whoops, sorry. I got the impression that you didn't. :redface:

Oh, nothing to be sorry for! I'm sure I didn't write my thoughts clearly. I work with numbers for that exact reason!

Huisj
04-12-2009, 09:35 PM
I liked the last line.

whitesox901
04-12-2009, 09:40 PM
that article pwns

Thatguyoverthere
04-12-2009, 09:59 PM
I attended two playoff games in 2005, the one where "AJ deked the entire Angels team" and the one where "Paulie hit that grand slam!" I was there! Great article, Greenberg absolutely nailed it.

RadioheadRocks
04-12-2009, 10:00 PM
That article kicked ass! :cool:

palehozenychicty
04-12-2009, 10:01 PM
I got chills reading that thing. Well done. :tongue:

Jjav829
04-12-2009, 10:04 PM
That was actually a very well done piece. :thumbsup:

WhiteSox1989
04-12-2009, 10:24 PM
Fantastic article. I'm impressed. I specifically like the last part.

WhiteSox5187
04-12-2009, 10:25 PM
That was a great article.

Zisk77
04-12-2009, 10:25 PM
I liked the article as well. But as he was running down the list of of favorites by generation he did have one major omission IMO...the 77' southside hitmen, the team that got me hooked.

polishsoxfan23
04-13-2009, 12:17 AM
Its up and running, check it out :D:

http://espn.go.com/chicago/

Boondock Saint
04-13-2009, 01:21 AM
While I thought Scoop Jackson's "Intro column" was pretty cheesy and tried too hard to stroke the Chicago ego, I thought it was pretty cool overall.

Because we got Mike Ditka, fool.

SpartanSoxFan
04-13-2009, 01:54 AM
Kinda ironic considering all the disrespect we all complain about coming from ESPN. AND...don't look now, but...

http://espn.go.com/chicago/columns/story?columnist=greenberg_jon&id=4062352

:o:

LITTLE NELL
04-13-2009, 05:05 AM
For a change, someone got it right.

chisoxfanatic
04-13-2009, 07:53 AM
Kinda ironic considering all the disrespect we all complain about coming from ESPN. AND...don't look now, but...

:o:
I try not to go to ESPN-sponsored links; but, wow, that was a pleasant article to read! Thanks for posting the link.

GoSox2K3
04-13-2009, 08:15 AM
On the main page, I count links to 7 Cubs articles and only 1 Sox article (a link to the AP summary of yesterday's game).

Fantastic!

asindc
04-13-2009, 08:37 AM
The author nailed it. Loved the section on Ozzie entitled, "Pure Honesty."

I want Mags back
04-13-2009, 08:41 AM
better article (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/155111-dr-jon-greenberg-or-how-i-learned-to-write-a-generic-southside-article?just_published=1)

chisoxfanatic
04-13-2009, 09:02 AM
Great article, SF4L!

The part where they were talking about Ozzie was the best!

Eddo144
04-13-2009, 09:08 AM
better article (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/155111-dr-jon-greenberg-or-how-i-learned-to-write-a-generic-southside-article?just_published=1)
:thumbsup:

That whole Greenberg piece is just filled with stereotypes. I'm looking forward to ESPN Chicago, but not if it's full of crap like that.

asindc
04-13-2009, 09:12 AM

I respectfully disagree.

I want Mags back
04-13-2009, 09:18 AM
:thumbsup:

That whole Greenberg piece is just filled with stereotypes.

exactly. I don't know why everyone here is praising that trash.

SoxGirl4Life
04-13-2009, 09:23 AM

i think that's good too! Quick turnaround by the Bleacher report. Impressive. And hilarious!

hi im skot
04-13-2009, 09:31 AM

Fire Joe Morgan is/was light years ahead of that.

esbrechtel
04-13-2009, 10:04 AM
On the main page, I count links to 7 Cubs articles and only 1 Sox article (a link to the AP summary of yesterday's game).

Fantastic!

:scratch:
"Hope on Southside" "Buehrle Dazzles" "Thome HR gives Sox edge in Pitching Duel" is more that 1 "article"...that said it is also the Home opener at Wrigley today...

Giving a website one day to decide whether it is good or not is not fair....

thomas35forever
04-13-2009, 10:09 AM

Fantastic!
Hangar, get out of GoSox2K3's account.

Seriously though, that site looks good.

DaveFeelsRight
04-13-2009, 01:14 PM
http://espn.go.com/chicago/index

I don't know where to put this since it contains everything but this is interesting. I wonder if any other city got a site.

akingamongstmen
04-13-2009, 01:54 PM
While I thought Scoop Jackson's "Intro column" was pretty cheesy and tried too hard to stroke the Chicago ego, I thought it was pretty cool overall.

Because we got Mike Ditka, fool.

Yeah, that was pretty terrible, but I like the site. It's good to see ESPN acknowledging cities beyond New York and Boston on a large scale. I'm sure that this will lead to other city-sites, which could be pretty cool.

Nellie_Fox
04-13-2009, 02:01 PM
We had three different threads in three different forums on this topic. I've merged them all here.

BainesHOF
04-13-2009, 02:41 PM
I found the column patronizing. Really, the whole blue-collar stuff is lame. White Sox fans, and smart and loyal ones at that, come from all walks of life.

chisoxfan4life
04-13-2009, 04:43 PM
Sorry if this article has already been linked, but as part of the new ESPNChicago.com site, Jon Greenberg wrote this article:

Boondock Saint
04-13-2009, 05:05 PM
I was just browsing the site, and I noticed a "Chicago sportscenter" link. Apparantly, there will be a daily video (todays was about 6:30) highlighting the day in Chicago sports, including in depth analysis from ESPN columnists.

Awesome.

The not so awesome, todays highlights were called by Chris Berman. I hope this isn't the daily plan.

chaerulez
04-13-2009, 05:07 PM
I found the column patronizing. Really, the whole blue-collar stuff is lame. White Sox fans, and smart and loyal ones at that, come from all walks of life.

Man, finally someone with some sense.

That article sucked. It was a generic article that did nothing but perpetuate stereotypes. It was the same thing as if another ESPN clown, Gene Wojowhateverski wrote another typical Cub column he writes about Wrigley, Cub tradition and sticking with you team for 100 years and the curse and **** that the typical meatball mouthbreather in the Chicagoland area love. It's no ****ing different. If that article had been written, people on this board would have flipped out. Yet, somehow this article is great?

Bobby Jenks doesn't look anything like my cousin, which would be troubling if he did since I'm Korean. I don't know anyone who lives in Bridgeport, I've been to a couple parties in the area, but I don't personally know anyone who lives there. I went to Jimbo's and it sucked. I sure as hell didn't order a grilled cheese after I paid $5 for a CAN of Miller Lite.

What's with this blue collar stuff? Yeah, I'm sure the mechanic is the one buying season tickets in the 100 level, 9 rows away from the dugout. Nope, not the lawyer, or the engineer, or the some vice president of a company. How about we ignore the study the Tribune published a few years ago about how Cubs and Sox fans incomes were almost identical. But yeah, we're BLUE COLLAR TOUGH. What's with this city and trying to romance the blue collar image? What being an architect isn't hard work? Or working in the advertising industry?

The whole stuck up suburbanite thing about Wrigley really made me laugh. I know some "bro/Chad" like Sox fans and I've seen plently at the games or at bars in the city and suburbs. So while it may seem like more of those type of people are Cubs fans, here's a novel idea: the Cubs have more fans overall. And I love how Konerko is the like the voice of the fan in the article. Yeah, his ability to throw teammates under the bus is the sign of a true leader. I'll take note of how blue collar tough that is. And that reference to someone getting arrested every day was idiotic. Yeah, three dip****s, two of them being Cub fans got arrested for attacking people on the field. But yeah we play in THE CELL because it's full of blue collar thugs/criminals. I don't even know what the point of bringing that up was.

And this "Da Mayor" crap, yeah it's not endearing at all. Infact it's a bit annoying. I don't say "sammich" either. I'm sorry I say "The Mayor" and "sandwich", again I guess I'm not blue collar Chicago tough. The article sucked people. White Sox fans are from all different sort of race, socio-economic background and personality. But I guess it's funnier if ESPN thinks we're white, poor, loud mouthed and tattooed.

OldRomanPizza
04-13-2009, 05:20 PM

That article sucked. It was a generic article that did nothing but perpetuate stereotypes. It was the same thing as if another ESPN clown, Gene Wojowhateverski wrote another typical Cub column he writes about Wrigley, Cub tradition and sticking with you team for 100 years and the curse and **** that the typical meatball mouthbreather in the Chicagoland area love. It's no ****ing different. If that article had been written, people on this board would have flipped out. Yet, somehow this article is great?

Bobby Jenks doesn't look anything like my cousin, which would be troubling if he did since I'm Korean. I don't know anyone who lives in Bridgeport, I've been to a couple parties in the area, but I don't personally know anyone who lives there. I went to Jimbo's and it sucked. I sure as hell didn't order a grilled cheese after I paid $5 for a CAN of Miller Lite.

What's with this blue collar stuff? Yeah, I'm sure the mechanic is the one buying season tickets in the 100 level, 9 rows away from the dugout. Nope, not the lawyer, or the engineer, or the some vice president of a company. How about we ignore the study the Tribune published a few years ago about how Cubs and Sox fans incomes were almost identical. But yeah, we're BLUE COLLAR TOUGH. What's with this city and trying to romance the blue collar image? What being an architect isn't hard work? Or working in the advertising industry?

The whole stuck up suburbanite thing about Wrigley really made me laugh. I know some "bro/Chad" like Sox fans and I've seen plently at the games or at bars in the city and suburbs. So while it may seem like more of those type of people are Cubs fans, here's a novel idea: the Cubs have more fans overall. And I love how Konerko is the like the voice of the fan in the article. Yeah, his ability to throw teammates under the bus is the sign of a true leader. I'll take note of how blue collar tough that is. And that reference to someone getting arrested every day was idiotic. Yeah, three dip****s, two of them being Cub fans got arrested for attacking people on the field. But yeah we play in THE CELL because it's full of blue collar thugs/criminals. I don't even know what the point of bringing that up was.

And this "Da Mayor" crap, yeah it's not endearing at all. Infact it's a bit annoying. I don't say "sammich" either. I'm sorry I say "The Mayor" and "sandwich", again I guess I'm not blue collar Chicago tough. The article sucked people. White Sox fans are from all different sort of race, socio-economic background and personality. But I guess it's funnier if ESPN thinks we're white, poor, loud mouthed and tattooed.

Amen!

The best moment in Chicago blue collar irony came a few years ago during a FOX broadcast of a Bears game. They were panning the crowd and the color guy was like "and the great thing about Chicago is all these loyal blue collar Bears fans". He said this as they zoomed into some guy with a Bears jacket and hat.

The next day on Boers and Bernstein, they were making fun of that type of statement and to top it off, a caller says that the guy the cameras were zooming in on was his dermatologist from Deerfield.

guillensdisciple
04-13-2009, 05:20 PM

While I agree with a LOT of what you wrote- you can't say that there are differences between White Sox fans and Cubs fans. Perhaps we can't point it out, but it is there, there is more loyalty and there is more pride.

I don't think he ever said they were white, as he said that it began with Italians or whatever, and then went on to say that it is now a very diverse set of races.

It does make us out to be poor, which kinda drew me off a little, but other than that I thought it was a pretty good article. Maybe we aren't blue collar or Chicago "tough", but I think the White Sox have always represented Chicago as a city more than any other sporting franchise here.

chaerulez
04-13-2009, 05:23 PM
Amen!

The best moment in Chicago blue collar irony came a few years ago during a FOX broadcast of a Bears game. They were panning the crowd and the color guy was like "and the great thing about Chicago is all these loyal blue collar Bears fans". He said this as they zoomed into some guy with a Bears jacket and hat.

The next day on Boers and Bernstein, they were making fun of that type of statement and to top it off, a caller says that the guy the cameras were zooming in on was his dermatologist from Deerfield.

I think he was a pediatrician, but that's just semantics. I remember that game clearly because it was so funny hearing I think it was Baldinger talk about how blue collar Chicago Bears fans are... then they profile some die hard Bear fan whose profession was white collar as could be.

CHICAGO TOUGH!

MarySwiss
04-13-2009, 08:44 PM
I liked it. At least, it attempted to bring a spotlight to the Sox. What could be wrong with that?

Standing Ovation
04-13-2009, 08:56 PM
I thought the article sucked. I guess I'm "white collar tough", mother****a! I used to live 3 blocks from Wrigley and now live in Geneva. I don't have a tattoo either. Stereotypes, in general, blow.

voodoochile
04-13-2009, 10:53 PM
Not every part describes every fan, but it's got the main idea right.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/story?columnist=greenberg_jon&id=4062352

Madscout
04-13-2009, 10:56 PM
Did you not see this in the other thread?

Rohan
04-13-2009, 10:59 PM
Yeah there was another thread on this..
But it's a pretty good article. I enjoyed reading it. So a double thread for emphasis isn't a terrible idea :).

voodoochile
04-13-2009, 10:59 PM
Did you not see this in the other thread?

Obviously not or I wouldn't have posted it. I did a search for greenberg and for passion but neither gave me a valid link. What thread?

fed ex 4 pasqua
04-13-2009, 11:12 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=110867

UChicagoHP
04-14-2009, 12:15 AM
I'll never click on an ESPN sponsored link. Too many ridiculous ads/commericals/clutter/etc...

Jimmy John
04-15-2009, 08:29 PM
I apologize if this is "old" news, but this is one of the best White Sox articles I've seen in some time... it's hard to believe considering the source (ESPN), but Jon Greenberg did a great job.

Taliesinrk
04-15-2009, 08:33 PM
I apologize if this is "old" news, but this is one of the best White Sox articles I've seen in some time... it's hard to believe considering the source (ESPN), but Jon Greenberg did a great job.

It was posted a couple of days ago. It's nice to have such an "in-depth" article, but I didn't feel that it was award-winning.

cheezheadsoxfan
04-15-2009, 08:44 PM
I really enjoyed it. Kinda gave me shivers.:cool:

Britt Burns
04-15-2009, 09:56 PM
That was a good article. It made me want to watch my 2005 Series DVD for the thousandth time.

Konerko05
04-15-2009, 09:59 PM
I was a little offended Greenberg feels White Sox fans probably couldn't afford a World Series ticket.

BoysMom3
04-15-2009, 10:04 PM
I like this. :thumbsup:

Nellie_Fox
04-16-2009, 12:28 AM
And the fourth thread on this gets merged with the first three.

ode to veeck
04-16-2009, 01:16 AM
I'll never click on an ESPN sponsored link. Too many ridiculous ads/commericals/clutter/etc...

turn your pop offs off on your browser