PDA

View Full Version : Josh The Douchebag Beckett

TealTank
04-12-2009, 06:06 PM
What a chicken **** thing for Beckett to do. He should have been ejected. Stupid umpires.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4062693

Rdy2PlayBall
04-12-2009, 06:28 PM
That article doesn't explain to me why you are so pissed at him. :scratch:

Brian26
04-12-2009, 06:31 PM
Its hard to judge who's at fault without seeing what happened within the context of the game. A lot of batters call-time at the last second to upset the pitcher's rhythm. Doing that repeatedly is an unwritten rule. Sounds to me like there was some gamesmanship going on, and that's not necessarily a bad thing. That's old-time baseball.

Hell, Juan Marachial would have probably pulled out an axe and cut Abreu's head off for doing something like that.

As for Beckett, he's got a free-pass from me for the rest of his career based on what he did in October 2003. :thumbsup:

BadBobbyJenks
04-12-2009, 06:48 PM
I love me some Josh Beckett

asindc
04-12-2009, 06:50 PM
Its hard to judge who's at fault without seeing what happened within the context of the game. A lot of batters call-time at the last second to upset the pitcher's rhythm. Doing that repeatedly is an unwritten rule. Sounds to me like there was some gamesmanship going on, and that's not necessarily a bad thing. That's old-time baseball.

Hell, Juan Marachial would have probably pulled out an axe and cut Abreu's head off for doing something like that.

As for Beckett, he's got a free-pass from me for the rest of his career based on what he did in October 2003. :thumbsup:

Beckett was in his stance for more than 11 seconds before Abreu called time, which was not granted. When Beckett finally threw the pitch, it sailed right at Abreu's head even though the catcher was set up outside. When Abreu yelled at Beckett, Beckett rushed off the mound at Abreu and started jawing with him. Benches cleared, three Angels kicked out, Beckett stayed in the game.

Two innings later, Sciosca is still upset and jawing at umps, gets tossed. Joe West was the home plate umpire, btw. I've always thought he was one of the worst umpires in the league.

Sox
04-12-2009, 07:23 PM

I agree...you really can't get too much information without seeing some video of the incident to determine intent. At least it sounds good.:wink:

manders_01
04-12-2009, 08:53 PM
Beckett was in his stance for more than 11 seconds before Abreu called time, which was not granted. When Beckett finally threw the pitch, it sailed right at Abreu's head even though the catcher was set up outside. When Abreu yelled at Beckett, Beckett rushed off the mound at Abreu and started jawing with him. Benches cleared, three Angels kicked out, Beckett stayed in the game.

Two innings later, Sciosca is still upset and jawing at umps, gets tossed. Joe West was the home plate umpire, btw. I've always thought he was one of the worst umpires in the league.

The time out was granted. In fact, I watched the inning and I can't tell that Abreu says anything. It appears the ump calls time without being asked.

DirtySox
04-12-2009, 08:55 PM
Anyone know what inning this took place in? I don't want to watch the entire game.

manders_01
04-12-2009, 08:55 PM
Anyone know what inning this took place in? I don't want to watch the entire game.

Bottom of the first.

DumpJerry
04-12-2009, 08:56 PM
According the article, the first inning.

DirtySox
04-12-2009, 08:59 PM
Thanks

palehozenychicty
04-12-2009, 09:50 PM
I'll take Josh Beckett on this team in a nanosecond.

WhiteSox1989
04-12-2009, 10:21 PM
I saw the video.

Beckett comes off like a douche bag, in my opinion. I would have been pissed if I was Scioscia.

Hunter got tossed for arguing with an ump.

TealTank
04-12-2009, 10:25 PM
Time was called by the umpire. Look at the video.

Beckett is a douchebag for throwing at Abreau's head. That's bush league bull****.

Somebody on the Angels should have thrown at Ortiz.

Total bull****.

doublem23
04-12-2009, 10:58 PM
I don't know, its hard for me to say that Beckett was out of line; the ump was getting up to call time just as he was starting to deliver the pitch and it's already been mentioned how easily a pitcher's mechanics can be altered with horrible results on location, though, his credibility takes a plummet as he comes down from the mound to jaw with Abreu.

TealTank
04-12-2009, 11:38 PM
I don't know, its hard for me to say that Beckett was out of line; the ump was getting up to call time just as he was starting to deliver the pitch and it's already been mentioned how easily a pitcher's mechanics can be altered with horrible results on location, though, his credibility takes a plummet as he comes down from the mound to jaw with Abreu.

He only talking talking ****, after the umpire and catcher held Abreu. What a tough guy, Beckett is.

BadBobbyJenks
04-12-2009, 11:48 PM
I bet Josh prefers the nickname Josh "World Series MVP" Beckett.

guillen4life13
04-13-2009, 12:16 AM
Just saw it. What a jerk.

04-13-2009, 12:45 AM
I bet Josh prefers the nickname Josh "World Series MVP" Beckett.

Or Josh "World Series of douchebags MVP" Beckett

TommyJohn
04-13-2009, 07:56 AM
Doesn't surprise me at all. I still remember Beckett antagonizing Kenny Lofton in the 2007 ALCS. Granted, it was total jerkoff vs. total jerkoff, but Beckett just seems to invite those situations.

Madscout
04-13-2009, 08:05 AM
No reason for Beckett to be in the game after that. Not after he throws at a guys head, and escalates a situation that the umpire would have had under control otherwise.

SoxFan78
04-13-2009, 08:07 AM
I'm thinking if Beckett threw that pitch on accident, he would of motioned some sort of sign to Abreau to show that it was truly an accident because he had to finish throwing the ball.

Instead, he jaws at Abreau afterwards, showing he is a *******.

EndemicSox
04-13-2009, 10:39 AM
I wish the pitchers had to bat...screw the DH.

thedudeabides
04-13-2009, 10:54 AM
I was watching the game. Beckett should have been tossed and it was a classless move. Time was granted and he threw at a guy's head that is already moving outside the box. Then he is so offended that Abreau is pissed that he starts walking towards him, which causes the benches to clear.

No idea how they allowed him to remain in the game.

RockyMtnSoxFan
04-13-2009, 11:07 AM
Not sure whether he was throwing at Abreu's head or not (though how could he miss that badly?), but either way he's an incredibly arrogant jerk. After Scioscia ordered his players to return to the dugout to ease the tension, Beckett comes over and starts yelling at Scioscia. Even if the pitch was an accident, he acted like it wasn't or he just didn't care. He thinks he's so good that he doesn't have to show any sportsmanship at all.

Dickie Kerr
04-13-2009, 11:15 AM
I don't know if he was intentionally throwing at Abreu or not, but as soon as he rushed towards the plate he should have been tossed. If the situation was reversed, and Abreu charged the mound, he would have been thrown out immediately.

TealTank
04-13-2009, 11:38 AM
If you look at where the catcher is set up, low and away, the douchebag not only missed the target, he didn't come anywhere close.

He maybe a great postseason pitcher, but he is a douchebag for what he did.

Gammons Peter
04-13-2009, 12:36 PM

That makes no sense. Do you mean that is against an unwritten rule, that make no sense either. What is this rule that has been unwritten?