PDA

View Full Version : *** OFFICIAL *** Sox take series from Twins Postgame thread

doublem23
04-12-2009, 03:39 PM
You know, as bad as we've played at times this first week, we're .500 and 1/2 game back of Detroit.

Good win.

whitesox901
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i170/WHITESOX901/bobby-jenks.jpg

:bandance::bandance::gulp::gulp:

And thats a TWINS LOSER!

SoxGirl4Life
Good game, 'cept for Richard. But Bobby? Mercy!

WhiteSox5187
04-12-2009, 03:40 PM
I could get used to the way we've played the past two games. Good pitching all around, and it seems like our offense isn't just waiting for the home run anymore.

whitesoxfan
04-12-2009, 03:40 PM
You know, as bad as we've played at times this first week, we're .500 and 1/2 game back of Detroit.

Good win.

Yep, you can definitely see the flashes that this team can have over the course of the season from these last two games.

Great job by Jenks getting out of that jam. That has to help his confidence after the KC game. Another good start from our starter as Buehrle was dominant, Thome had the big blast, Wise had a solid game, and Dotel and Linebrink were good out of the pen.

Soxman219
04-12-2009, 03:41 PM
I LOVE beating the Twins.

Let's own the Detoilet Kitties again starting tomorrow.:bandance:

Thatguyoverthere
04-12-2009, 03:41 PM
Great pitching by Bobby to get out of the bases loaded nobody out jam. I thought the Twins never did that. My favorite part of that was the "amazing" Delmon Young ending the game with a double play.

DaveFeelsRight
04-12-2009, 03:42 PM
good win. way to take the series after that horrible game friday

whitesox901
100% of the time this season, when Mark Pitches, Jim Homers

HomeFish
I love how they didn't allow the Twins to score in the 9th inning. They not only made them pay, they humiliated them. Very 2005esque game, as somebody mentioned in the game thread.

Still, it is April, and we always beat the Twins early and lose to them late.

whitesox901
04-12-2009, 03:43 PM
I LOVE beating the Twins.

Let's own the Detoilet Kitties again starting tomorrow.:bandance:

don't we usually pwn them? :cool:

Railsplitter
First winning streak of the season!
:bandance::bandance:

longtimesoxguy
Good weekend. Let's get hot on the road!!!!

Shoeless_Jeff
04-12-2009, 03:44 PM
Great game. Hopefully they can bring this momentum to Detroit.

Go tame the kitties tommorow, boys.

palehozenychicty
04-12-2009, 03:47 PM
They've played well these last few games. Even on Friday, it was a tight contest until MacDougal and Carrasco got on the bump.

Anyway, here's a great quote I heard today in the papers:

"Trying to make judgements about a baseball season in the first week is like having an opinion of a movie during the opening credits."

We have a different perspective as fans, but this team has enough quality elements to be in the race all year.

Bobby getting Crede to stare at strike three was golden!

Evman5
04-12-2009, 03:47 PM
Great win...I am skipping classes to go to the game tomorrow...anybody else going? Looking to the White Sox running their record to 2-0 when I am in attendance at Comerica!

SoxSpeed22
04-12-2009, 03:50 PM
Great job by Buehrle and the bullpen (for the most part). The Sox use small ball and long ball to score their runs. Even though they didn't score, that hit-and-run by Wise and Alexei was done very well. The Sox don't have to wait until May to win on Sunday.

asindc
04-12-2009, 03:56 PM
They've played well these last few games. Even on Friday, it was a tight contest until MacDougal and Carrasco got on the bump.

Anyway, here's a great quote I heard today in the papers:

"Trying to make judgements about a baseball season in the first week is like having an opinion of a movie during the opening credits."

We have a different perspective as fans, but this team has enough quality elements to be in the race all year.

Bobby getting Crede to stare at strike three was golden!

Here's a toast to you, my fellow Sox fan, for you have spoken truth.:gulp:

Very good weekend. The last couple of days, the offense has worked the way it is designed. Nice balance of speed and power, good execution (Wise laid down a bunt!), and good swings. The starters have been exceptional so far!:gulp:

If you told me that the Sox would go 1-2 in one of the two opening series and 2-1 in the other, I would have definitely chosen the 2-1 against the Twinkees. Always feels a bit better beating them!:bandance:

Frankfan4life
04-12-2009, 03:57 PM
I'm extremely encouraged by the way the Sox played the last two games. I can tell that this team believes it can win every game by using a variety of weapons like speed, bunts, defense, pitching and, of course, the long ball. You have to have the tools in order to win and this team is showing that it has the tools.

Stellar pitching by Mark and Jenks and great control and determination by the hitters despite the bad ball/strike calls.

Foulke You
04-12-2009, 03:58 PM
Great win...I am skipping classes to go to the game tomorrow...anybody else going? Looking to the White Sox running their record to 2-0 when I am in attendance at Comerica!
Bring back a winner. I'll be listening at work on my radio. Any reason why all of the games in this Detroit series are day games? :?:

Good to see the Twins kicking the ball all over the yard. (3 errors in the game) We out "Twinned" the Twins today. We played great defense, nice pitching, and scratched out some runs along with Thome's HR. Nice to see some of the added athleticism in the lineup help win a game today. Without the speed of Lillibridge, Quentin doesn't get that run from 3rd on that sac fly. Also, Getz beating out that booted ball from Cuddyer helped. Hope Getz is ok, he took a nasty fastball to the elbow.

Bucky F. Dent
04-12-2009, 04:11 PM
Second week of April or not, that was an important series to win.
We overcame a meltdown on Friday.
Saw great pitching from Bartolo on Saturday.
And closed the twinkies out with our ace on Sunday

Tragg
04-12-2009, 04:11 PM
The pitching's been fantastic.

Good game for Wise. He got a couple of hits before the other hitters kicked in. He got his bunt down today, too.

Looks like Richard got a little rattled from a couple of Twin cheapies.

Jenks proves again he's the anti-MacDougal....he's at his best in tight situations.

palehozenychicty
04-12-2009, 04:16 PM
Here's a toast to you, my fellow Sox fan, for you have spoken truth.:gulp:

Very good weekend. The last couple of days, the offense has worked the way it is designed. Nice balance of speed and power, good execution (Wise laid down a bunt!), and good swings. The starters have been exceptional so far!:gulp:

If you told me that the Sox would go 1-2 in one of the two opening series and 2-1 in the other, I would have definitely chosen the 2-1 against the Twinkees. Always feels a bit better beating them!:bandance:

Much appreciated. It just cracks me up when people get all hot about the first week. Nobody's running away in this division. I'd rather see this team finish strong. The Sox seem to get into bad streaks late in the year, and it's cost us a few times this decade. We were able to hang on in 2005 and sneak in for 08, but in 04, 06, and 03, we missed opportunities.

Evman5
04-12-2009, 04:18 PM
Bring back a winner. I'll be listening at work on my radio. Any reason why all of the games in this Detroit series are day games? :?:

I don't know why they are all day games....I could have gone to any of the games if they were at night. But since they are all day games, i guess i am going to have to play hookie...maybe they were worried about cold night games?

Sidenote I am also going to Bulls at Pistons for the nightcap, so hopefully I can watch a Chicago sweep on the day!

asindc
04-12-2009, 04:24 PM
I don't know why they are all day games....I could have gone to any of the games if they were at night. But since they are all day games, i guess i am going to have to play hookie...maybe they were worried about cold night games?

Sidenote I am also going to Bulls at Pistons for the nightcap, so hopefully I can watch a Chicago sweep on the day!

Probably to take advantage of any sunshine they get this early in the season. It is probably about 10-15 degrees cooler at night this time of year.

DickAllen72
04-12-2009, 04:35 PM
Any update on Chris Getz???

Frater Perdurabo
04-12-2009, 04:42 PM
I'll never complain about winning a series, especially against a division rival.

The Sox are an exceptionally rare home Jenks HR blown save away from being 4-2.

Although the Sox don't have a 2005 Pods-like SB threat leading off, it's good that both Getz and Fields can make things happen with the bat and with their legs.

Wise seems much more comfortable at the bottom of the order, as well.

White City
04-12-2009, 04:48 PM
Any update on Chris Getz???

Getz seems like he is getting dinged up a bit this week. Grinders get ground up, I guess.

Maybe Getz, for all his promise, ends up being this year's Owens, getting injured early on to making way for a breakout season by a future White Sox All-Star.

Not sure what color to use on that statement, as I don't want Becks up this early, or taking Getz's spot (DeWayne or MacDougal, I'm looking at you). And I certainly don't want Getz to be hurt.

Maybe, though, the timing now would be better than when Nix is healthy.

russ99
04-12-2009, 04:57 PM
Excellent game today, well, other than a slightly nervous 9th inning. But anytime you beat the Twins is a good day. :D:

Great day to be in the sun at the ballpark. It was still a little chilly at times, but finally felt like spring.

Let's take care of biz in Detroit!

voodoochile
04-12-2009, 04:58 PM
I'll never complain about winning a series, especially against a division rival.

The Sox are an exceptionally rare home Jenks HR blown save away from being 4-2.

Although the Sox don't have a 2005 Pods-like SB threat leading off, it's good that both Getz and Fields can make things happen with the bat and with their legs.

Wise seems much more comfortable at the bottom of the order, as well.

Just to be picky, Thursday wasn't a save situation. The game was tied when Jenks came in to pitch the top of the 9th.

BadBobbyJenks
04-12-2009, 04:59 PM
Good to see the Sox scoring runs with out the long ball in the 7th inning. I was amazed to see how easily Lillibridge scored on that shallow fly to right field. It was not like he was running on a noodle arm either.

I am going to keep repeating myself, but this offense is not going to hold us back, the back end of the rotation is going to determine how good we will be.

Frater Perdurabo
04-12-2009, 05:03 PM
Just to be picky, Thursday wasn't a save situation. The game was tied when Jenks came in to pitch the top of the 9th.

I was in meetings all day and couldn't watch/hear/follow any of Thursday's game.

Actually, since Jenks tends to poop his pants in tie games, perhaps I should have written,

"The Sox are just one bad bullpen move away from being 4-2." :tongue:

C-Dawg
04-12-2009, 05:21 PM
Just got home, it was a great game and broke a personal 4 game losing streak for me. Felt great in section 157; completely out of the wind too and I have the beginnings of a sunburn on my arms.

Rohan
04-12-2009, 05:37 PM
Bring on those tigers! and bring on those away games!

kevingrt
04-12-2009, 05:37 PM
Just got home, it was a great game and broke a personal 4 game losing streak for me. Felt great in section 157; completely out of the wind too and I have the beginnings of a sunburn on my arms.

I cannot wait till I get some sun at a game. Monday I was in the shade and Friday night was just so damn cold.

And now they are gone for a couple weeks.

Lets hope we can come home versus the Bluejays over .500.

All-around solid game today, just like yesterday.

Lip Man 1
04-12-2009, 05:40 PM
Nice recovery this afternoon from the middle of the first week.

Starting pitching has been very, very good...hitting is still inconsistent but has looked better. The bullpen ? well...O.K. save for Richard and Ol' MacDougal (e-i-e-i-oh no!)

Hard to complain about 3-3 the first week considering everything but you still wish the Sox had gotten one more against Kansas City. 4-2 starting a long road trip would have looked a lot better.

Detroit, I think has won four of five since starting 0-2.

Lip

LITTLE NELL
04-12-2009, 05:53 PM
With some hitting we should be 5-1, but after Friday night, 3-3 is ok.
Tough to go on a 10 game road trip this early in the season. If we come back at 9-7 or even 8-8 with 6 games at home at the end of April we should be ok heading into May.

DirtySox
04-12-2009, 06:59 PM
Getz questionable for Monday. Doesn't sound like anything serious though.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-13-white-sox-bits-chicago-apr13,0,421017.story

Jurr
04-12-2009, 07:15 PM
Nice recovery this afternoon from the middle of the first week.

Starting pitching has been very, very good...hitting is still inconsistent but has looked better. The bullpen ? well...O.K. save for Richard and Ol' MacDougal (e-i-e-i-oh no!)

Hard to complain about 3-3 the first week considering everything but you still wish the Sox had gotten one more against Kansas City. 4-2 starting a long road trip would have looked a lot better.

Detroit, I think has won four of five since starting 0-2.

Lip

I agree that 4-2 would be awesome right now. Chalk that up to having
to experiment with the lineup in search of some type of leadoff production. Kudos to the pitching staff for being absolutely dominant to start the season. Hopefully they are setting a tone for the entire year.

JohnTucker0814
04-12-2009, 08:03 PM
I've got to say I've been impressed with Fields on the defensive side of the ball... he's been making all the routine plays and has made some pretty impressive plays as well.

I hope Alexei & Quentin can keep it rollin' in Detroit!

GoGoCrede
04-12-2009, 08:11 PM
Glad to see the Sox pull out a win for my 21st birthday. :gulp: Against the Twins, no less! Even sweeter.

SoxGirl4Life
04-12-2009, 08:12 PM
Glad to see the Sox pull out a win for my 21st birthday. :gulp: Against the Twins, no less! Even sweeter.

Happy Birthday! Great game and you got to see Crede, AND he didn't kill us! :thumbsup:

doublem23
04-12-2009, 08:13 PM
I've got to say I've been impressed with Fields on the defensive side of the ball... he's been making all the routine plays and has made some pretty impressive plays as well.

I hope Alexei & Quentin can keep it rollin' in Detroit!

He's also making some good decisions when to put the ball in his pocket and not force bad throws on impossible plays.

I was very skepitcal/downright pessimistic about having Fields at 3B this year, but he's completely proving me to be an idiot, and I love it.

chisox77
04-12-2009, 08:16 PM
White Sox outscored the Twins 19-13 in the series, in spite of Friday's horrible game. Nice recovery. Major winning streak about to happen. I can feel it.

sox1970
04-12-2009, 08:31 PM
White Sox outscored the Twins 19-13 in the series, in spite of Friday's horrible game. Nice recovery. Major winning streak about to happen. I can feel it.

I'll settle for a 5-5 road trip. :D:

chisox77
04-12-2009, 08:36 PM
I'll settle for a 5-5 road trip. :D:

You have to aim high, my friend!

sox1970
04-12-2009, 08:41 PM
you have to aim high, my friend!

k. 6-4.

JB98
04-12-2009, 08:57 PM
My first trip to the Cell in 2009 nets a White Sox victory!

I want to bring up a point about Jim Thome. There's always a lot of complaining about his strikeouts and the fact that he won't bunt to beat the shift or whatever. And some people are concerned about him hitting only .245 last year.

But you know what? It doesn't matter what Thome's average is as long as he is delivering game-changing extra-base hits. I think he had only four hits on the homestand, but two of them gave the Sox the lead for good in wins. That's what I expect from Jim at this stage of his career. I don't really expect him to hit .280 or .290 anymore. Just give us big hits.

The Twins are crappy. They are perpetual losers.

Frater Perdurabo
04-12-2009, 09:00 PM
I'm interested in Daver's assessment of Fields' defense.

SBSoxFan
04-12-2009, 10:12 PM
I'm interested in Daver's assessment of Fields' defense.

I was thinking that too.

It's only been 6 games, but considering the entire package, I'm sayin: "Joe who?" :D:

WhiteSox5187
04-12-2009, 10:16 PM
I was thinking that too.

It's only been 6 games, but considering the entire package, I'm sayin: "Joe who?" :D:
That's the key statement right there. But so far he hasn't hurt us.

LongLiveFisk
04-12-2009, 10:21 PM
Great win today. Overall I'm so impressed with the pitching. Keep it going, guys!

By the way, it's interesting how much shorter the postgame threads are after a win. :lol:

WhiteSox1989
04-12-2009, 10:22 PM
Nice win. Good to see JD hit the hr against Nathan.

Hope Getz is okay.

SoxGirl4Life
04-12-2009, 10:22 PM
Great win today. Overall I'm so impressed with the pitching. Keep it going, guys!

By the way, it's interesting how much shorter the postgame threads are after a win. :lol:

I always find that amusing too. Kinda like, win, just to shut us up already! :D:

Rohan
04-12-2009, 10:29 PM
:)First winning streak of the season!
:bandance::bandance:

SBSoxFan
04-12-2009, 10:34 PM
That's the key statement right there. But so far he hasn't hurt us.

Hasn't hurt us? :scratch:

The guy's got a 500 OBP, and has made several very nice plays at third. It's quite the opposite; he's help very much!

SoxGirl4Life
04-12-2009, 10:35 PM
Paulie had to pick alot of throws off the ground today. Between Josh and Alexei, they're going to keep him on his toes!

oeo
04-12-2009, 10:40 PM
Paulie had to pick alot of throws off the ground today. Between Josh and Alexei, they're going to keep him on his toes!

Not sure where that's coming from. Fields has a very accurate arm, that's never been a question.

WhiteSox5187
04-12-2009, 10:49 PM
Hasn't hurt us? :scratch:

The guy's got a 500 OBP, and has made several very nice plays at third. It's quite the opposite; he's help very much!
The question was what does Daver think of Fields' defense and someone said granted it's only six games into the season but he looks good. My response was that it's hard to judge as it is only six games into the season, but defensively he hasn't hurt us. His offense was never going to be a question, but I'm amazed at his ability to get on base and play a bit of small ball. Again, it's only six games in though.

palehozenychicty
04-12-2009, 10:50 PM
Lillibridge has done a nice job the last couple games as well. I liked the two walks on Saturday.

doublem23
04-12-2009, 11:00 PM

Yeah, Josh would get my nod for Team MVP for the 1st week of the season.

SoxGirl4Life
04-12-2009, 11:02 PM
Not sure where that's coming from. Fields has a very accurate arm, that's never been a question.

Its coming from some highlights I just saw where Paulie had to pick 2 from Fields and 1 from Alexei. I'm not saying Josh has a bad arm. Just an observation

doublem23
04-12-2009, 11:04 PM
Its coming from some highlights I just saw where Paulie had to pick 2 from Fields and 1 from Alexei. I'm not saying Josh has a bad arm. Just an observation

Josh has been making some fantastic plays with the glove at third, so he's having to rush the throw to Paul... When he's able to sit back, get set, and casually fire to first, he's got a pretty solid arm for a third baseman. I don't know what happened with that Alexei throw, he basically threw the ball straight into the ground. As much fire as Konerko takes around here for sucking at the plate, generally being slower than ****, and having limited range at 1st base, he still can pick the ball out of the ground with the best of them, and that's a seriously underrated quality in your first baseman that you don't really appreciate when you have it, but you certainly miss it when it's gone.

There's not much more to say about his 1st week this season, he's been fantastic.

Woofer
04-12-2009, 11:33 PM
I'm glad to see the team showed alot of fight in them after losing the first game on Friday. I will take 2 out 3 anytime against those hated Twins.

SoxGirl4Life
04-13-2009, 09:01 AM
Josh has been making some fantastic plays with the glove at third, so he's having to rush the throw to Paul... When he's able to sit back, get set, and casually fire to first, he's got a pretty solid arm for a third baseman. I don't know what happened with that Alexei throw, he basically threw the ball straight into the ground. As much fire as Konerko takes around here for sucking at the plate, generally being slower than ****, and having limited range at 1st base, he still can pick the ball out of the ground with the best of them, and that's a seriously underrated quality in your first baseman that you don't really appreciate when you have it, but you certainly miss it when it's gone.

There's not much more to say about his 1st week this season, he's been fantastic.

That's a better way of saying what I meant to say in the first place. Thank you!

EndemicSox
04-13-2009, 10:05 AM
Fun game to watch, Los Q flashing the leather! Bobby Jenks is pushing 350lbs this year, but getting it done...hope they play today.

oeo
04-13-2009, 11:46 AM
Fun game to watch, Los Q flashing the leather! Bobby Jenks is pushing 350lbs this year, but getting it done...hope they play today.

Jenks does not look any different.

EndemicSox
04-13-2009, 11:54 AM
Jenks does not look any different.

Really? He's never been this big, imo...not that it matters if he is throwing heat, but the guy is fatter than ever.

oeo
04-13-2009, 11:56 AM
Really? He's never been this big, imo...not that it matters if he is throwing heat, but the guy is fatter than ever.

I disagree, I think he looks the same as he has the past few years. I thought they said he actually lost a few pounds over the offseason.

If Bobby was fatter than ever, Ozzie would have mentioned it by now.

EndemicSox
04-13-2009, 11:59 AM
I disagree, I think he looks the same as he has the past few years. I thought they said he actually lost a few pounds over the offseason.

I hope you're right, maybe it was the uniform he was wearing yesterday, but he looked like a clown. Maybe it's the animal growing on his face? :gulp:

asindc
04-13-2009, 12:25 PM

He looks as if he has lost weight to my eye.

UChicagoHP
04-13-2009, 03:28 PM
He looks as if he has lost weight to my eye.

I just don't see it, he's always been chubby, but he appears to be chubbier this season. It could be the way he tucks in his jersey. If he gains 1mph on his fastball for every 5 pounds he puts on his frame, get the boy some turkey!