PDA

View Full Version : MacDougal on thin ice

thomas35forever
04-11-2009, 05:59 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090411&content_id=4222312&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws
The sooner the organization gets a restraining order against him, the better.

SoxGirl4Life
04-11-2009, 07:24 PM
Well, he earned at least one more outing...

Sadly, this is the pattern with him...

Frater Perdurabo
04-11-2009, 07:27 PM
Two scoreless innings may have earned him a stay of execution for the time being.

chisox77
04-11-2009, 07:30 PM
Great stuff, but seldom at the right moments.

Boondock Saint
04-11-2009, 07:32 PM
Two scoreless innings may have earned him a stay of execution for the time being.

I know you aren't exactly giving him much of a leash there, but he's still awful. We're better off with Richard or Carrasco getting these "Stay of execution" innings.

Frater Perdurabo
04-11-2009, 07:38 PM
I know you aren't exactly giving him much of a leash there, but he's still awful. We're better off with Richard or Carrasco getting these "Stay of execution" innings.

I'm all for keeping the guillotine blade sharpened, in the event that the Sox have someone better in the minors, or can get someone better via trade.

Tragg
04-11-2009, 08:01 PM
It's not easy pitching with an 8 run lead. A lot of pitchers get bored. Mac kept his focus.

asindc
04-11-2009, 08:02 PM
I would say that the ice got a little bit thicker today.

BleacherBandit
04-11-2009, 08:05 PM
Rongey needs to stop defending MacDougal...Seriously, today was an abbaration.

Frater Perdurabo
04-11-2009, 08:15 PM

Rongey's job is to defend anyone employed by the White Sox, regardless of his own personal feelings.

soxinem1
04-11-2009, 08:33 PM

Richard, maybe. Carrasco, no. He's the one who was the fluke last year. At least the first eight weeks anyway.

Ranger
04-11-2009, 09:24 PM

What exactly did I defend?

Ranger
04-11-2009, 09:25 PM
Rongey's job is to defend anyone employed by the White Sox, regardless of his own personal feelings.

I don't say anything I don't feel. Don't judge unless you listen carefully to everything I say. However, after reading many of your posts over the months, I get the feeling that's how you operate.

sunofgold
04-11-2009, 09:32 PM
Has anybody ever done an interview with him? He has been with us for a few years and I don't think that I ever read a quote from him.

Just curious what is going through his head right now. Can he explain why he sucks right now? haha!

Noneck
04-11-2009, 10:49 PM
What exactly did I defend?

I am curious how you feel about MacDougal. You have watched him for quite a few years, seen him in spring training and have talked to people on the club that no one here has access to.

I have my opinions also but mine won't be as educated as yours.

Frater Perdurabo
04-12-2009, 07:53 AM
I don't say anything I don't feel. Don't judge unless you listen carefully to everything I say. However, after reading many of your posts over the months, I get the feeling that's how you operate.

Hey Ranger, unfortunately I don't get to listen to your show very much, as I live in Dallas and only get to hear the Sox on XM. This means that I only get the home broadcast when the Sox are at the Cell. And sometimes (like yesterday), XM uses the ESPN feed. Other times, I watch them when they are on WGN or TBS. And still other times, if it's a regular 7:11 start, I turn off the radio once the game is finished, since I have to be at work at 7:30 a.m. And XM usually cuts off the home team feed 30 minutes after the game ends. So I don't get to hear you very much, and it's my loss, because I'd like to listen to your show more.

From what I have heard of your show, though, you have to deal with a lot of ridiculous callers making idiotic statements. I'm sure much of the call-in stupidity is liquid-fueled.

I've listened to a lot of sports-talk radio over the years, both in Chicago and in Dallas. I know that in general, a flagship station and its hosts (as well as the announcers) will mute their criticism of the team and its personnel. Harry and Jimmy were canned because they spoke their mind. Hawk still has a job in large part because he speaks well of his employer.

I know - and you don't have to confirm or deny this - that because of your job you are hesitant to criticize any Sox player or coach or executive on the air. It is natural for someone in your position to do so. And based on my admittedly limited sample of your show, I have never heard you rip on an underperforming player, or rip on Ozzie or Kenny for making a boneheaded move.

And if I were in your position, I would do the exact same thing. :cool:

PatK
04-12-2009, 11:50 AM
I think today was indicative of his career with the Sox- when he's in with no pressure or for the mop up role, he does well.

When he comes in with men on or in tight situations, he chokes.

Ranger
04-12-2009, 01:38 PM
I am curious how you feel about MacDougal. You have watched him for quite a few years, seen him in spring training and have talked to people on the club that no one here has access to.

I have my opinions also but mine won't be as educated as yours.

It's a perfect time to answer this question because I just talked with Cooper about it and he used a perfect word for him: "tease". That's essentially what MacDougal is. He's the girl that strings you along, you eventually give up on it, and then she does something to pique your interest again. Then you're mad at yourself for caring. He's a nice enough guy, but he does seem a little nervous at times. Maybe it's something a little deeper that's going on.

I think, ultimately, he will not pitch in big situations. He'll be used in sparingly. If he ever finds a way to settle down, he'll be great...but at 32, it seems there is very little chance of that happening.

I think he is the most frustrating guy on the team.

Sockinchisox
04-12-2009, 01:42 PM
Ranger don't you have a pregame show you should be doing instead of posting on WSI? :D:

BleacherBandit
04-12-2009, 01:47 PM
It's a perfect time to answer this question because I just talked with Cooper about it and he used a perfect word for him: "tease". That's essentially what MacDougal is. He's the girl that strings you along, you eventually give up on it, and then she does something to pique your interest again. Then you're mad at yourself for caring. He's a nice enough guy, but he does seem a little nervous at times. Maybe it's something a little deeper that's going on.

I think, ultimately, he will not pitch in big situations. He'll be used in sparingly. If he ever finds a way to settle down, he'll be great...but at 32, it seems there is very little chance of that happening.

I think he is the most frustrating guy on the team.

Didn't you say that he had the best stuff on the team yesterday? I mean, how can you tell if he goes out and mostly pitches like crap?

Noneck
04-12-2009, 01:50 PM
That's exactly how I feel. Friday he ticks me off then yesterday I see stuff that no one on the club has. Its really tough to say goodbye to a "tease", at least to me it is because those good times were just too good.

Ranger
04-12-2009, 02:02 PM
I know - and you don't have to confirm or deny this - that because of your job you are hesitant to criticize any Sox player or coach or executive on the air. It is natural for someone in your position to do so. And based on my admittedly limited sample of your show, I have never heard you rip on an underperforming player, or rip on Ozzie or Kenny for making a boneheaded move.

And if I were in your position, I would do the exact same thing. :cool:

Frater, I completely understand why people would think this. And the reality is that it will never change, no matter how much I criticize. The other reality is that I don't say anything I don't think. Don't confuse overreaction with criticism.

I do criticize and I do it fairly often. Any time I guy misplays a ball, I'll say it. If I don't understand a move, I'll say it. But nowadays, because of the modern sports radio culture, people think "criticizing" is the same as ranting and raving and screaming at the top of your lungs about how much this guy or that guy "sucks"....only to then praise that same guy 3 weeks later as being one of the "best". And honestly, I HATE that about sports talk. It's the worst thing about the genre. A trade secret: more than half the guys that do that crap don't have ANY idea what the hell they're talking about. I hate the roller coaster of emotions.

And because I have the position of "White Sox Host," there is an immediate preconceived idea that I am told not to say anything negative. I can promise you, though, that I am not, and I would say the same stuff about them if I was on the air and didn't have this same job. I swear my life on that.

What probably throws people is that I've always been even-tempered about sports. I will get excited and I'll get upset, but I'm always level-headed about my opinions of a player, coach, GM, etc. Don't get too high, don't get too low. I don't overreact. It's just not my personality. And I always remember what I said about the guy a week earlier. MANY people do not. In fact, I was visiting a different Sox board, and a guy had posted a week ago a thread entitled "Bartolo Colon's fat ******* a** is no longer MLB quality." Then he posted yesterday with a basic retraction. And I can promise, he'll go back to what he said before if Colon blows up next time out.

It's a long season, kids.

Ranger
04-12-2009, 02:04 PM
Didn't you say that he had the best stuff on the team yesterday? I mean, how can you tell if he goes out and mostly pitches like crap?

"Stuff" in this case means movement and velocity. But the "stuff" is useless without location.

Postgame is over...gotta a game to watch.

Lip Man 1
04-12-2009, 06:46 PM
More with Chris including his "philosophy" as pre and post game host:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=11&id=3703

Lip

Soxfanspcu11
04-12-2009, 07:06 PM
I honestly think that this situation with MacDougal is a money thing.

I'm pretty sure that if he was not getting paid what he is, he would have been the shown the door. I mean, could you imagine the Sox putting up with a guy who can not find the zone if he were making the league minimum? Ain't gunna happen.

Now that being said, it could also be argued that MacDougal has earned the chance at being given a shot. Given that he has been in the league awhile and the Sox pay him pretty damn well for a reliever.

My fear though is that he will go back to not being able to find the zone and he will just be an inning eater IF he is still on the team. And I don't really want to see that from a guy making his salary.

The saga continues...........................

asindc
04-12-2009, 08:21 PM
Frater, I completely understand why people would think this. And the reality is that it will never change, no matter how much I criticize. The other reality is that I don't say anything I don't think. Don't confuse overreaction with criticism.

I do criticize and I do it fairly often. Any time I guy misplays a ball, I'll say it. If I don't understand a move, I'll say it. But nowadays, because of the modern sports radio culture, people think "criticizing" is the same as ranting and raving and screaming at the top of your lungs about how much this guy or that guy "sucks"....only to then praise that same guy 3 weeks later as being one of the "best". And honestly, I HATE that about sports talk. It's the worst thing about the genre. A trade secret: more than half the guys that do that crap don't have ANY idea what the hell they're talking about. I hate the roller coaster of emotions.

And because I have the position of "White Sox Host," there is an immediate preconceived idea that I am told not to say anything negative. I can promise you, though, that I am not, and I would say the same stuff about them if I was on the air and didn't have this same job. I swear my life on that.

What probably throws people is that I've always been even-tempered about sports. I will get excited and I'll get upset, but I'm always level-headed about my opinions of a player, coach, GM, etc. Don't get too high, don't get too low. I don't overreact. It's just not my personality. And I always remember what I said about the guy a week earlier. MANY people do not. In fact, I was visiting a different Sox board, and a guy had posted a week ago a thread entitled "Bartolo Colon's fat ******* a** is no longer MLB quality." Then he posted yesterday with a basic retraction. And I can promise, he'll go back to what he said before if Colon blows up next time out.

A toast to you, Ranger, for you have spoken truth.:gulp:

GlassSox
04-12-2009, 08:22 PM
The money he makes is likely part of the reason he's still here but at some point he has to go. Today was just another typical outing for Mikey. :angry:

RedPinStripes
04-12-2009, 10:42 PM

I know and it's sick. He's worse the Wills ever was when it came to being a homer. He rarely calls anyone out.

Uh oh. Ranger's on page 2. :)

SoxfaninLA
04-13-2009, 10:40 AM
I honestly think that this situation with MacDougal is a money thing.

I'm pretty sure that if he was not getting paid what he is, he would have been the shown the door. I mean, could you imagine the Sox putting up with a guy who can not find the zone if he were making the league minimum? Ain't gunna happen.

Now that being said, it could also be argued that MacDougal has earned the chance at being given a shot. Given that he has been in the league awhile and the Sox pay him pretty damn well for a reliever.

My fear though is that he will go back to not being able to find the zone and he will just be an inning eater IF he is still on the team. And I don't really want to see that from a guy making his salary.

The saga continues...........................

I don't think it's a money thing, they let him ride the bus in Charlotte last year and he was making big bucks then. They have shown they are not afraid to let millions toil down in AAA.

The reason he is no the team is because Kenny and Ozzie were stupidly seduced by some good outings against minor leaguers in Arizona and brought him north, where he will most likely continue to be an absolute arsonist until they see enough and send him back to the minors. I root for just about every Sox player no matter how good or bad, but Macdougal is very hard to root for. The guy is just terrible, he really feels like the new version of Rick White.

downstairs
04-13-2009, 12:49 PM

I don't get to listen to pre/post anymore, as I am in New Orleans now... but if that's your attitude and philosophy... stick with it!

A lot of sports talk is merely there to play to the extreme emotions of a sub-set of rabid fans, which is a disservice to the smart ones.

EndemicSox
04-13-2009, 01:01 PM
What probably throws people is that I've always been even-tempered about sports. I will get excited and I'll get upset, but I'm always level-headed about my opinions of a player, coach, GM, etc. Don't get too high, don't get too low. I don't overreact. It's just not my personality. And I always remember what I said about the guy a week earlier.

This is a very good thing, keep up the good work!

sunofgold
04-15-2009, 04:03 PM
It is early in the season. Let's end this now. KW, please release MacDougal. If you have to put him in the minors, put him in A ball to mop up games. No mas. Give somebody else a chance.

Soxaredabest
04-15-2009, 04:06 PM
I think the ice just broke...

ChiSoxFan81
04-15-2009, 04:07 PM
It is early in the season. Let's end this now. KW, please release MacDougal. If you have to put him in the minors, put him in A ball to mop up games. No mas. Give somebody else a chance.

I was thinking more along the lines of a restraining order.

Rohan
04-15-2009, 04:07 PM
I hope to hear some "He Gone" soon.

soxfan43
04-15-2009, 04:11 PM
I think the ice just broke...

I sure hope so. Enough is enough, end the misery Kenny.

roylestillman
04-15-2009, 04:13 PM
I hope the charter is making a stop in Charlotte on the way to Tampa.

Need to drop off some baggage.

Taliesinrk
04-15-2009, 04:14 PM
I agree. I feel bad for the guy, but enough is enough. If KW, Ozzie, and Co. think that I'm going to spend my money to go see that garbage, then they've been smoking some of that "Mackowiak is a CF option" stuff. I've about had it with this crap.

BoysMom3
04-15-2009, 04:27 PM
Taliesinrk, that's just how I feel - I do feel badly for MacDougal, but buh-bye already. LOL about Mackowiak.

southside rocks
04-15-2009, 04:29 PM
I hope the charter is making a stop in Charlotte on the way to Tampa.

Need to drop off some baggage.

Give him a parachute and a shove.

I cannot understand how White Sox management can stick with this guy. My aversion to him now exceeds my loathing for David Aardsma and David Riske and Horacio Ramirez combined.

veeter
04-15-2009, 04:31 PM
Give him a parachute and a shove.

I cannot understand how White Sox management can stick with this guy. My aversion to him now exceeds my loathing for David Aardsma and David Riske and Horacio Ramirez combined.There's 3,000,000 reasons why. But I think the end is near.

GlassSox
04-15-2009, 07:04 PM
I agree with sonofgold, NO MAS, NO MAS, & I hope adios.

Hartman
04-15-2009, 08:42 PM
MacDougal's problems cannot be fixed in a day. In fact, based on what I've seen thus far, I'm not sure this guy is fixable.

getonbckthr
04-15-2009, 08:50 PM
There's 3,000,000 reasons why. But I think the end is near.
At this point you will have to pay him no matter what. Your options are pay him and play him and he hurts the team or you pay him to go home where he cant hurt the team. The decision seems pretty obvious.

Tragg
04-15-2009, 08:56 PM
At this point you will have to pay him no matter what. Your options are pay him and play him and he hurts the team or you pay him to go home where he cant hurt the team. The decision seems pretty obvious. Agree.
McDougal's salary is a sunk cost. It's irrelevant in the decision made, whether to send him down, keep him or cut him outright.

Taliesinrk
04-15-2009, 09:29 PM
Agree.
McDougal's salary is a sunk cost. It's irrelevant in the decision made, whether to send him down, keep him or cut him outright.

I mean seriously... let's say you pay Adam Russell, Lance Broadway, or whomever else you call up $500,000. You'll probably lose that much money by playing MacDougal in two ways: 1. The fans won't want to come and watch a AA quality pitcher take the field, and/or 2. He could cost your team enough games to put you out of the race and subsequently negatively affect attendance.

A. Cavatica
04-15-2009, 11:23 PM
Coop will stab him.

drewcifer
04-15-2009, 11:24 PM
Detroit ate $14M to get rid of Shef. And they can afford it.

And we still march out this turd?

There is no good reason for it.

SoxGirl4Life
04-15-2009, 11:25 PM
Coop will stab him.

Oh, don't tease

LoveYourSuit
04-15-2009, 11:48 PM
Detroit ate $14M to get rid of Shef. And they can afford it.

And we still march out this turd?

There is no good reason for it.

I think they are still counting pennies to make up for Ben Davis' wasted contract.

I agree. There is no reason why a "contender" should be putting up with a crappy pitcher of this magnitude.

9in'59
04-16-2009, 12:10 AM
I was lucky enough to sleep through most of today's ballgame. When I woke up, MacDougal was throwing everything but strikes. He does have great stuff, but when he got the ball in the strikezone, Detroit was really teeing off. How long Ozzie sticks with this guy is anybody's guess, but I really can't imagine him being here very much longer.

By the way, I want to thank WSI for giving me the opportunity to become a Gold Member of the website; which I will be doing shortly after I complete this post.

Here's to WSI and everyone that posts here! Go Sox!! :gulp:

drewcifer
04-16-2009, 12:38 AM
I think they are still counting pennies to make up for Ben Davis' wasted contract.

I agree. There is no reason why a "contender" should be putting up with a crappy pitcher of this magnitude.

No reason at all. You see Dombrowski eating crow when he screws up to keep the fans and faith. We just will never do that. I really hate that. I knew that extension was a mistake when we did it ($9M or so for Contreras?????) Then we punish ourselves every live long day for it until it's over... white sox way....

sunofgold
04-16-2009, 12:49 AM
Sheffield hooked up with another major league team after being released. I think MacDougal would probably wind up on somebody's minor league roster (if released). But, I have a hard time seeing somebody picking up MacDougal for their major league roster.

Soxfanspcu11
04-16-2009, 12:53 AM
I mean seriously... let's say you pay Adam Russell, Lance Broadway, or whomever else you call up $500,000. You'll probably lose that much money by playing MacDougal in two ways: 1. The fans won't want to come and watch a AA quality pitcher take the field, and/or 2. He could cost your team enough games to put you out of the race and subsequently negatively affect attendance.

I agree with your second point but your first one is a little far fetched dont you think? I mean, nobody is going to games anyway to watch some middle reliever, good or bad. There are a few other players ya know.

drewcifer
04-16-2009, 01:39 AM
Sheffield hooked up with another major league team after being released. I think MacDougal would probably wind up on somebody's minor league roster (if released). But, I have a hard time seeing somebody picking up MacDougal for their major league roster.

That should show you what a bad sign he was, right? And, he gets MLB player $ while he continues to suck. He's guaranteed.

He's a ****ing gem.

Taliesinrk
04-16-2009, 02:08 PM
I agree with your second point but your first one is a little far fetched dont you think? I mean, nobody is going to games anyway to watch some middle reliever, good or bad. There are a few other players ya know.

I guess I was trying to relate it to 2007 for me. I refused to go to a game because I felt that the product that KW and the Sox organization were trotting out there was sub-par and I didn't want to spend my hard-earned money to watch a team that was put together so that JR could save a dime. When they continue to strut MacDougal out there, I get the same feelings.

Note: Before someone accuses me of calling this team the same as 2007, that's far from what I was saying... just that MacDougal gives me shades of that team.