PDA

View Full Version : Arizona to host 2011 All-Star Game

Hitmen77
04-11-2009, 03:56 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090411&content_id=4221400&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Chase Field in Phoenix will be the site for the '11 Game. It will be the Diamondbacks 13th season in the league.

This year's game is in St. Louis and next year's game is in Anaheim.

PKalltheway
04-11-2009, 06:43 PM
Congrats to the D'backs. Their stadium was the oldest of the "new parks" to not have hosted one.

Hitmen77
04-13-2009, 10:55 AM
MLB is going to have plenty of new ballparks waiting a turn for the All Star Game in coming years. Citi Field, Target Field, the new Marlins Park, Petco Park, Nationals Park, Great American Park, Citizens Bank Park (Phillies last hosted in '96). At some point they'll want to have a game at New Yankee Stadium, that will be a ways off since the Yankees just hosted last year.

I believe that MLB has committed to giving Kansas City an All-Star Game in the near future thanks to the Kaufmann Stadium renovations. The Dodgers haven't hosted since 1980. They might be a candidate soon especially with Dodger Stadium approaching its 50th anniversary (but then again, they might not give it to LA so soon after the Angels get to host a game).

areilly
04-13-2009, 11:24 AM
Wrigley turns 100 in 2016 but could have a date with the wrecking ball before then. I wouldn't be shocked to see them host between now and then.

MisterB
04-13-2009, 12:22 PM
Wrigley turns 100 in 2016 but could have a date with the wrecking ball before then. I wouldn't be shocked to see them host between now and then.

Actually, it turns 100 in 2014.

Shoeless_Jeff
04-13-2009, 10:25 PM
Fenway will turn 100 in 2012, but they hosted pretty recently (1999).

getonbckthr
04-13-2009, 10:30 PM
I'm not old enough to remember the last time they had it but I would love to see a homerun derby there. Mainly cause of the apartment buildings and such.

I want Mags back
04-13-2009, 11:49 PM
I was at the Home run derby at Wrigley

i was 10 months old

AZChiSoxFan
04-14-2009, 01:30 PM
Congrats to the D'backs. Their stadium was the oldest of the "new parks" to not have hosted one.

Glad to see them finally get the game.

captainclutch24
04-14-2009, 03:07 PM
2012 will be an AL park then so what team in the AL will be next. KC, Minnesota, Boston(Pitt. went 12 years between all star games)?

Oakland I don't see as they will still be in the colosseum if they don't move out of the bay area with no new stadium coming.

Toronto has never hosted an all-star game, but I think newer or renovated stadiums will get it first.

Tampa has no shot till they get a new home.

I think Boston has a reasonably good chance at getting it, simply because of Fenway and 100 years. Then KC and Minnesota would be likely to follow.

AZChiSoxFan
04-14-2009, 03:50 PM
2012 will be an AL park then so what team in the AL will be next. KC, Minnesota, Boston(Pitt. went 12 years between all star games)?

Oakland I don't see as they will still be in the colosseum if they don't move out of the bay area with no new stadium coming.

Toronto has never hosted an all-star game, but I think newer or renovated stadiums will get it first.

I think Boston has a reasonably good chance at getting it, simply because of Fenway and 100 years. Then KC and Minnesota would be likely to follow.

I'm guessing 2012 will go to KC. Selig promised the Royals that if they got the ballot prop passed to fund the renovations, they would get the AS game. Who else would be in line for it that year? KC's renovations are done prior to the new stadium in Minn being completed, in addition to the fact that Minn hosted the game more recently than KC. That's why I believe it will be in KC in 2012.

Hitmen77
04-15-2009, 11:42 AM

Toronto hosted the game in 1991. I could see them getting the game again. I know the Rogers Center isn't retro and unfortunately has artificial turf, but it does have a lot of amenities.

I agree that I don't see the A's or Rays getting the game unless they get a new stadium. As AZChiSoxFan said, I expect KC to get the 2012 game. Perhaps the Twins will get the game in '14. After that, all the new AL parks except new Yankee Stadium will have hosted the game and they'll probably start going back to the teams that hosted in the 90s.