PDA

View Full Version : We should be fine

BigP50
04-10-2009, 11:05 PM
Like Bill Melton said,"the weather is still cold which causes the players muscles to not work right".

Today the Sox had as many runs as they did in the first 3 games.

So the bats are coming out

also in those first 3 games the pitching was great so I am not really nervous about that. And almost all the runs were because of DJ and Mike who suck so we really cant be that surprised so we should be fine

DSpivack
04-10-2009, 11:06 PM
Like Bill Melton said,"the weather is still cold which causes the players muscles to not work right".

Today the Sox had as many runs as they did in the first 3 games.

So the bats are coming out

also in those first 3 games the pitching was great so I am not really nervous about that. And almost all the runs were because of DJ and Mike who suck so we really cant be that surprised so we should be fine

I'm not a dark cloud and it's way, way, WAY too early to determine what this team will be like. But what a load of crap from Melton. 'Cold muscles' only affected the Sox tonight?

Marqhead
04-10-2009, 11:07 PM
The Twins muscles seemed to work fine. :scratch:

Yes, it is early. It's been 4 games. It isn't the perfect start, but it's not a complete disaster either. The Sox need to rebound and put together a few solid games. I think they will be fine. Optimism is always appreciated.

LoveYourSuit
04-10-2009, 11:12 PM
I'm not a dark cloud and it's way, way, WAY too early to determine what this team will be like. But what a load of crap from Melton. 'Cold muscles' only affected the Sox tonight?

The excuse making is as sickening as the play on the field. Just say we have sucked thus far and move on. It's 162 games, making excuses make you look like a dumb ass.

jabrch
04-11-2009, 12:35 AM

agreed - total BS. We played poorly. That's the bottom line.

Frankfan4life
04-11-2009, 12:38 AM
I'll be optimistic when we win four games in a row.

BadBobbyJenks
04-11-2009, 12:53 AM
I don't see the doom and gloom offensively. My worries are still the 4,5 spots and centerfield. I am happy about everything else, well except for the last bullpen arm, but that is not going to make or break us.

Frater Perdurabo
04-11-2009, 06:35 AM
I predicted 95 wins and a World Series victory, and I'm sticking with that. Staunch.

I also think the rump end of the bullpen and center field are big holes right now.

Then again, what team doesn't want to upgrade the rump end of their bullpen?

thedudeabides
04-11-2009, 08:14 AM
My only real concern at this point is how long MacDougal will be on the roster.

Other than that, same concerns as going into the season.

I don't mind if people have concerns, but there is generally too much pessimism/optimism the first couple of weeks of the season, depending on the start. I probably won't have any real concern unless we are about ten games below .500 at the end of April. Other than that, a lot of things get themselves worked out the first month of the season.

I am very happy with how Fields and Getz have looked. Alexei looks like he may end up being a slow starter.

voodoochile
04-11-2009, 09:45 AM
Fields Gettz and the big 4 hitters are all looking fine - yeah, last night Dye and Thome didn't do much, but they were fine coming in and one ad night really crushes your averages this time of year.

Danks, Floyd, Buehrle, Thornton, Linebrink, Dotel, Richard and Janks all look pretty good (not worried about the Janks loss - it happens). Contreras pitched okay last night especially for a guy facing serious major league competition for the first time in a year.

I expected a bit of a slow start while things shook out. Once the lineup settles in and the weather warms up a bit, this team will be fine - a few tough losses to the Royals in April notwithstanding.

Rohan
04-11-2009, 10:02 AM
DJ Carrasco really is not a pitcher to be concerned about. He was given a tough situation with a tough climate to play in. Whether or not you guys are going to waiver on this weather thing, you have to admit, it is difficult for a bull pen pitcher to come in with bases loaded when its 30 degrees and winds blowing out.
MacDougal sucks, but really we should not be concerned. Like rongey said last night, ozzie's going to keep playing with things, we're in the first 5 games of the season. While every game matters, doesn't mean that we can't make improvements this early.

nug0hs
04-11-2009, 10:04 AM
The Twins muscles seemed to work fine. :scratch:

x2

Tragg
04-11-2009, 10:08 AM
DJ Carrasco really is not a pitcher to be concerned about.
If he reverts to his entire career prior to 2008, he belongs in AAA as an organizational minor leaguer. He has a dubious track record

Rohan
04-11-2009, 10:12 AM
If he reverts to his entire career prior to 2008, he belongs in AAA as an organizational minor leaguer. He has a dubious track record

That can be said for numerous pitchers on the White Sox pitching staff. The fact is that we have a great pitching coach who is able to turn lost talented pitchers into quality.
Carrasco is a very talented pitcher who has been working with Cooper very closely. I actually got a chance to speak with DJ's wife about it and she told me much of the information that I know.
He should not be our focus of concern.

soxfan43
04-11-2009, 10:42 AM
The excuse making is as sickening as the play on the field. Just say we have sucked thus far and move on. It's 162 games, making excuses make you look like a dumb ass.

Well said. There are no excuses. Time to step up and win these next 2 games.

Tragg
04-11-2009, 10:47 AM
That can be said for numerous pitchers on the White Sox pitching staff. .
Not really.
The 2 great turnaround projects (Thornton, Floyd) were much younger. Carrasco was in his 30s.
I'm not saying that he won't pitch well- just that it wouldn't surprise me if 2008 was the fluke. I hope the turnaround's permanent as you suggest it is.

Certainly agree we have greater worries.

kitekrazy
04-11-2009, 11:43 AM
I predicted 95 wins and a World Series victory,

Please introduce me to your crack dealer.

I wouldn't be surprised if no one in the Central wins 90 games. There's not much difference between the top and bottom teams in this division.

GoGoCrede
04-11-2009, 11:57 AM
Anyone know why Russell didn't make the roster? Seems like he fell off the face of the earth.

Metalthrasher442
04-11-2009, 12:03 PM
Anyone know why Russell didn't make the roster? Seems like he fell off the face of the earth.

Not that great of a spring.. but at the start of the first game I wanted him in MacDoodies place.

Well anyway on a positive note Contreras didn't pitch bad.. almost could have picked up the victory. Good for him.

SoxGirl4Life
04-11-2009, 12:05 PM
Not that great of a spring.. but at the start of the first game I wanted him in MacDoodies place.

Well anyway on a positive note Contreras didn't pitch bad.. almost could have picked up the victory. Good for him.

We were in it when he left.

Metalthrasher442
04-11-2009, 12:07 PM

You got that right sister.. that's all I ask of him this season.

WhiteSox1989
04-11-2009, 01:15 PM

Yep. It wasn't exactly a great outing, but not terrible. He has a high pitch count in the first inning, but after that he was pretty good. I only expect him to get better once he gets more comfortable, and more run support.

oeo
04-11-2009, 01:27 PM
The problem last night was MacDougal was in the game, and we were not up or down 10 runs. Ozzie: he's the last guy out of the bullpen, keep him there.

OTOH, while our starting pitching has been good, they have not eaten up many innings. We're going to see a lot of MacDougal if our starters can't pitch more than 5 or 6 innings. That was our problem late in 2008, and it's going to be a problem this year too if they don't start being a little more efficient.

Konerko05
04-11-2009, 01:28 PM
Yeah, I'm not ready to lump Contreras in with the rest of the White Sox problems.

He didn't have a full ST to prepare for the season. He was also pitching in horrible conditions.

His arm looked all right. His fastball was consistently around 91. His split was nonexistent, but that can be attributed to the cold. I'm sure it's a hard pitch to throw with frozen hands.

I'm willing to give him a few more starts before I start making any judgements. As long as he's healthy, he will be at least serviceable at the back end of the rotation.

guillen4life13
04-11-2009, 01:54 PM
Please introduce me to your crack dealer.

http://images.huffingtonpost.com/2008-02-23-Mackie.jpg
Ok, umm, drugs are bad. mmkay?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-AfOhyn_S4