PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Gregg, BS #1

doublem23
04-10-2009, 06:17 PM
Watching the Cubs/Brewers game right now... How can anyone make the argument for Gregg over Marmol? This guy is grooving pitches.

doublem23
04-10-2009, 06:23 PM
http://crawlyscubs.mlblogs.com/L_flag.gif

:rolling:

SoxGirl4Life
04-10-2009, 06:24 PM
And his first loss. Marmol is the closer starting tomorrow. I'd bet on it.

Jerko
04-10-2009, 06:24 PM
Lotta closers can't deal with 4 out saves.

illini81887
04-10-2009, 06:25 PM
First of many

johnnyg83
04-10-2009, 06:25 PM
Bad decision by Theriot ...

Marqhead
04-10-2009, 06:26 PM
Koyie Hill's tantrum at the end was classic.

JermaineDye05
04-10-2009, 06:26 PM
Wow, that was a routine double play ball. Terrible decision for Theriot, he doesn't even have that good of an arm. Major brain cramp there.

SoxGirl4Life
04-10-2009, 06:27 PM
But but.. he didn't allow ONE run in spring training.

What? you say the ninth inning of spring training games is mostly single A guys? That might mean something.. lol

Edit: There was a Soriano hop involved too..

JermaineDye05

Still doesn't beat Ted Lilly's.

doublem23

Yeah, not great bullpen management on Sweet Lou's part, he used 6 total relievers, but I was still very underwhelmed with Gregg's stuff. I know he was getting his fastball up to 94, but it didn't look like it had much movement.

:dunno:

I just can't see how you take a guy with Marmol's stuff and still trot Kevin Gregg out there in the 9th inning.

Etownsox13

+1. The play at the plate wasn't even that close

CHISOXFAN13
Koyie Hill's reaction was priceless. Cry me a river. That play wasn't even close!

OldRomanPizza
:bandance:

Blown lead. Check.
Soriano defensive liability play. Check.
Pinella ragin'. Check.
Backup catcher acting like they had just blown the pennant. Check.

CHAD IMPLOSION!!!

DirtySox
04-10-2009, 06:28 PM
Someone elaborate on what happened please. :smile:

asindc
04-10-2009, 06:28 PM
Bad decision by Theriot ...

Indeed. Theriot owes Gregg one, and I'm sure he knows it.

OldRomanPizza
04-10-2009, 06:31 PM
TBH, I don't know if Theriot could have gotten the guy out at second. At least, the runner was close enough to second to where the decision to throw home may not have been as crazy as some initially thought.

johnnyg83
04-10-2009, 06:31 PM
First and third ... one out ... ball hit to Theriot's right but still a likely DP ... he throws home instead and Weeks beats the one hop throw.

johnnyg83
04-10-2009, 06:32 PM
TBH, I don't know if Theriot could have gotten the guy out at second. At least, the runner was close enough to second to where the decision to throw home may not have been as crazy as some initially thought.

It was hit pretty hard though ... I didn;t see where Hart was ... so you may be right. Does Braun run well?

Brenly seemed pretty sure Theriot screwed up.

SoxGirl4Life
04-10-2009, 06:33 PM

Cubs up 3-2 bottom of the ninth
Lou's already used the whole 'pen, seems like
Gregg gets a quick out.
Walks the next guy
The next guy doubles off of Soriano's glove (hop was involved)--Tie game
Gregg walks the next guy, then a wild pitch
First and third, one out.
Ground ball to Theriot, who throws home
Weeks (on third) slides under the tag
Koyie Hill has a hissy fit and slams the ball down at home plate. Game over. Brewers win 4-3

doublem23
04-10-2009, 06:33 PM

Brewers entered the 9th down by 1, and Gregg walks some scrub with one out on a pitch that maybe made it 55 feet. Next better is Weeks, who Gregg just lays a fastball right over the plate that he crushes over the head of Outfield Doofus Alfonso Soriano, who makes little attemtp to get back on the ball and just hops around like some kid in T-ball. Tying run scores, winning run at 2nd. Weeks takes third on a wild pitch during the next at bat, and Hart ultimately walks. Ryan Braun grounds weakly to short, but Theriot, rather than taking the 6-4-3 double play, comes home with the ball (as he's falling away from the plate), and his sissy-armed throw is not in time (play is still a little close, Hill does an OK job trying to block the plate, but Weeks is clearly safe). Ump makes the call, Weeks celebrates and Hill gets into this whole "woe is me" BS throwing his arms up and wildly spinning around while spiking the ball.

Hilarious.

JB98
04-10-2009, 06:36 PM
Yeah, not great bullpen management on Sweet Lou's part, he used 6 total relievers, but I was still very underwhelmed with Gregg's stuff. I know he was getting his fastball up to 94, but it didn't look like it had much movement.

:dunno:

I just can't see how you take a guy with Marmol's stuff and still trot Kevin Gregg out there in the 9th inning.

Marmol is the only good relief pitcher on their whole team. I was watching a little earlier, and Heilman and Cotts got into a huge jam in the seventh. Marmol came on and got out of that mess.

If Piniella didn't use Marmol in that seventh inning, the Cubs probably lose the game right there. Unless Marmol is going to pitch two or three innings every day, they've got some issues.

Not that I care. I'm glad this Cubbie team has such a leaky bullpen. There should be many more meltdowns like this all summer long. :cool:

johnnyg83
04-10-2009, 06:37 PM
There was absolutely nothing on Theriot's throw ...

CHISOXFAN13
04-10-2009, 06:37 PM
Ryan Braun runs very well, and I don't think they would have turned the DP once Theriot went to his right.

Nonetheless, that was pretty ****ing funny.

johnnyg83
04-10-2009, 06:39 PM
I'm watching the replay ... I think he would have had Hart ... maybe not Braun but tough to say.

Brenly was critical of Theriot but it could be his emotional mustache talking.

DirtySox
04-10-2009, 06:41 PM
Gracias. Just saw the reply on Sportsnite. I love any fielding mistakes involving Soriano.

DrCrawdad
04-10-2009, 06:46 PM
:bandance:

Blown lead. Check.
Soriano defensive liability play. Check.
Pinella ragin'. Check.
Backup catcher acting like they had just blown the pennant. Check.

CHAD IMPLOSION!!!

What inning was that?

cws05champ
04-10-2009, 06:47 PM
Gracias. Just saw the reply on Sportsnite. I love any fielding mistakes involving Soriano.
That was a pretty pathetic read and reaction by Soriano...

SoxGirl4Life
04-10-2009, 06:48 PM
What inning was that?

9th. Fly ball to left and looks like he misread it, short and off to the right... tried to hop to make up for it tho. No dice, double, tie game.

BadBobbyJenks
04-10-2009, 06:49 PM
9 blown saves in front of 11 people in Florida, what did they expect to happen in Chicago? The decision to name Gregg closer made my day.

DrCrawdad
04-10-2009, 06:59 PM
9th. Fly ball to left and looks like he misread it, short and off to the right... tried to hop to make up for it tho. No dice, double, tie game.

Soriano made a misplay? What? "The best left-fielder in MLB" made a misplay?

So, Soriano defensive defenders, how does that game changing misplay effect the stats you love to quote?

russ99
04-10-2009, 07:11 PM
Cubs up 3-2 bottom of the ninth
Lou's already used the whole 'pen, seems like
Gregg gets a quick out.
Walks the next guy
The next guy doubles off of Soriano's glove (hop was involved)--Tie game
Gregg walks the next guy, then a wild pitch
First and third, one out.
Ground ball to Theriot, who throws home
Weeks (on third) slides under the tag
Koyie Hill has a hissy fit and slams the ball down at home plate. Game over. Brewers win 4-3

I love baseball season... :D:

Hop involved. Gotta love it.

No doubt the Cubs are a talented club, but they have the biggest tendency for self-destruction than any other team.

PatK
04-10-2009, 09:15 PM
The best thing about this blown game by the Flubs is seeing Paul Sullivan's article that the Brewers "pretended it was October" the way they celebrated.

First off, like the Flubs fans didn't act like it was October most of last season.

Secondly, the Brewers at least won a game last October

DrCrawdad
04-10-2009, 09:57 PM
The best thing about this blown game by the Flubs is seeing Paul Sullivan's article that the Brewers "pretended it was October" the way they celebrated.

First off, like the Flubs fans didn't act like it was October most of last season.

Secondly, the Brewers at least won a game last October

Did Sully use teal on that?

Jerko
04-10-2009, 09:59 PM
Did Sully use teal on that?

No ****. And what month was Hill acting like it was by throwing a hissy fit? Knife cuts both ways Sully.

ChiSoxGirl
04-10-2009, 10:12 PM
Brewers entered the 9th down by 1, and Gregg walks some scrub with one out on a pitch that maybe made it 55 feet. Next better is Weeks, who Gregg just lays a fastball right over the plate that he crushes over the head of Outfield Doofus Alfonso Soriano, who makes little attemtp to get back on the ball and just hops around like some kid in T-ball. Tying run scores, winning run at 2nd. Weeks takes third on a wild pitch during the next at bat, and Hart ultimately walks. Ryan Braun grounds weakly to short, but Theriot, rather than taking the 6-4-3 double play, comes home with the ball (as he's falling away from the plate), and his sissy-armed throw is not in time (play is still a little close, Hill does an OK job trying to block the plate, but Weeks is clearly safe). Ump makes the call, Weeks celebrates and Hill gets into this whole "woe is me" BS throwing his arms up and wildly spinning around while spiking the ball.

Hilarious.

Ryan Braun runs very well, and I don't think they would have turned the DP once Theriot went to his right.

Nonetheless, that was pretty ****ing funny.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who laughed out loud at this. I thought it was hysterical. :D: Typical Cubs.

getonbckthr
04-10-2009, 10:14 PM
Ehhh at least their closer had a chance to close a game today.

DrCrawdad
04-10-2009, 10:16 PM

Sox loss and Cubbie loss. Was that doubly hard on you?

:)

veeter
04-10-2009, 10:35 PM

Secondly, the Brewers at least won a game last OctoberThat's what happens when your beat writer is also a HUGE fan of the team.

MarkZ35
04-10-2009, 11:12 PM
Who does he think he is with that reaction? Throwing the ball at the ground and having a pissy fit after Weeks was clearly safe at the plate.

getonbckthr
04-10-2009, 11:21 PM
Sox loss and Cubbie loss. Was that doubly hard on you?

:)
Any day Chicago loses is a bad day. Unfortunately I got both ends of the losing spectrum. Game 1 was in hand and eventually blown by the closer. Game 2 was a mauling. Oh ya and Kris Versteeg got hurt at practice and is doubtful for the last 2 games against the Red Wings. So for all the positives going on in Chicago sports the past year today was definately a downer haha.:smile:

Dick Allen
04-10-2009, 11:49 PM

Secondly, the Brewers at least won a game last OctoberSullivan's a numbskull. It was their home opener against a hated rival in front of a full house, which unfortunately as usual included some pathetic cub fans. You think emotions weren't a little high?

thomas35forever
04-11-2009, 12:19 AM
Expect more of this from Gregg during the year. A really ****ty game defensively from Theriot also.

MarkZ35
04-11-2009, 12:47 AM
Theriot had time to set his feet and make a good throw because the play at the plate was close with a crappy throw. I really don't think they would have doubled up Braun with the grounder in the hole and he would have been haulin down the line. Nonetheless, here's to many more Kevin Gregg blown saves.:gulp:

sunofgold
04-11-2009, 01:06 AM
Barrett? I don't know. That was an entertaining play. Weeks slams his helmet. Hill spikes the ball. Pinella argues the call. The Brewers celebrate.

sunofgold
04-11-2009, 01:14 AM
Soriano catches the ball then Gregg probably saves the game. Then, there would a runner on first and two outs.

Not that Gregg is great. Cubs should have kept Kerry Wood around.

StillMissOzzie
04-11-2009, 01:16 AM
Kerry Wood records that save [/typical Cubfan d-bag]

Me, I laughed out loud. At Soriano's misplay of Weeks' "double", of Gregg's wild pitch, and Hill's tantrum after Weeks was clearly safe at home. Maybe he learned something from Milton Bradley.

SMO
:D:

PatK
04-11-2009, 08:48 AM

No kidding.

I miss an inning of the game last night and all of a sudden it's a blowout.

Ugh

Tragg
04-11-2009, 09:08 AM
Using Gregg for the 9th means that he comes in with the bases empty. You don't really need your best pitcher there - you just need one with guts to pitch the 9th.
Marmol is likely to be used in much more precarious situations.

I think the best pitcher for the Sox when the bags are full is Thornton. Then Jenks. Then I'd pick Dotel (he'll give up a lot of big hits, but he'll get a lot more big Ks). Linebrink is fine for an empty 8th.

On the last play, Weeks didn't even break for home on contact. He waited until Theriot fielded it and then took off and still made it.

thedudeabides
04-11-2009, 09:28 AM
That's what happens when your beat writer is also a HUGE fan of the team.

Paul Sullivan is an admitted Sox fan. However, he is a giant mouthpiece for the Tribune.

TommyJohn
04-11-2009, 11:05 AM
Paul Sullivan is an admitted Sox fan. However, he is a giant mouthpiece for the Tribune.

He once told The Heckler that he is a Cub fan. So I don't know who to believe.

southside rocks
04-11-2009, 02:29 PM

Funny, that's what I found myself thinking too, when Lou brought Gregg in to get that last out in the 8th. Some closers are fine with that, some are not.

guillensdisciple
04-11-2009, 08:38 PM
Note: Cubs bullpen gives up third game this year.

They tried changing everything except for the thing that they were weakest in.
This is going to be a long year for Cubs fans.

WhiteSox1989
04-11-2009, 08:48 PM
I caught a part of the Cubs game today. They are giving away Zambrano no hitter replica statue trophies to the home opener.

PLEASE tell me the Sox didn't do that with Buehrle. I don't recall them doing so.

SoxGirl4Life
04-11-2009, 08:51 PM
I caught a part of the Cubs game today. They are giving away Zambrano no hitter replica statue trophies to the home opener.

PLEASE tell me the Sox didn't do that with Buehrle. I don't recall them doing so.

What's a no-hitter replica trophy? How do you put that on a trophy?

guillensdisciple
04-11-2009, 08:54 PM

Shouldn't they commemorate the 100 years of no championships with a replica statue?
To me, that seems a bit more important than the no-hitter he threw last year. Plus it is a LOT more simple to make- all you need is 100 and you get the message. With the Zambrano statue you have to go through the strain of making the body parts, ball, glove etc.

WhiteSox1989
04-11-2009, 09:09 PM
What's a no-hitter replica trophy? How do you put that on a trophy?

Trust me. It has been done. It's a trophy of Zambrano celebrating his win.

I should have been more specific, sorry.

SoxGirl4Life
04-11-2009, 09:15 PM
lol.. Marmol in to close..

sunofgold
04-11-2009, 09:19 PM
Interesting Marmol facing the heart of the Brewers lineup.

SoxGirl4Life
04-11-2009, 09:21 PM
Interesting Marmol facing the heart of the Brewers lineup.

I think so

Frontman
04-12-2009, 10:32 AM
That's what happens when your beat writer is also a HUGE fan of the team.

Can you imagine how Bruce Levine would of reported this story?

It be up there with the coverage of the Hindenburg.....

russ99
04-12-2009, 05:28 PM

Considering that was a hurricane-aided no-hitter (but granted a no hitters's tough in any conditions) that's an even more classless move by the Cubs, than just making fan trophies for a minor team accomplishment.

Too bad they're not playing the Astros on Monday, their fans would have broken them and tossed the remains onto the field.

I wonder if they're giving Gallardo tropies to Brewers fans too as a thank you to Bud for handing the Cubs those two extra home games last year.

Average Homeboy
04-18-2009, 02:33 AM
The Cubs will regret not re-signing Kerry Wood.

southside rocks
04-18-2009, 07:38 AM
The Cubs will regret not re-signing Kerry Wood.

Seriously, I think the Cubs will feel the loss of both Kerry Wood and Mark DeRosa this summer. No teal.

Average Homeboy
04-18-2009, 11:02 PM
Seriously, I think the Cubs will feel the loss of both Kerry Wood and Mark DeRosa this summer. No teal.

Agreed. I forgot about DeRosa.