PDA

View Full Version : White Sox iphone app

cbotnyse
04-10-2009, 04:26 PM
I saw one today in the app store for 3 bucks. Anybody buy it?

I was hoping the team would make a free one by now. someone email Brooks.

nasox
04-10-2009, 04:27 PM
What does it do?>

doublem23
04-10-2009, 04:27 PM
The new MLB app is apparently ridiculous.

cbotnyse
04-10-2009, 04:30 PM
What does it do?>scores, schedule, stats etc...the layout doesnt look that great, but I was wondering if anybody has used it yet.

The new MLB app is apparently ridiculous.yeah that looks good, but I'm on the old Edge network which is really slow. I'd consider it if I was on 3G. Its kinda steep at 10 bucks.

Sockinchisox
04-10-2009, 04:49 PM

I love the new At-Bat app, the free gameday audio is amazing.

Sockinchisox
04-10-2009, 04:53 PM
scores, schedule, stats etc...the layout doesnt look that great, but I was wondering if anybody has used it yet.

yeah that looks good, but I'm on the old Edge network which is really slow. I'd consider it if I was on 3G. Its kinda steep at 10 bucks.

I've been using the Gameday audio on Edge and I've never had any kind of buffering or anything. It comes through crystal clear with no interference.

Taliesinrk
04-10-2009, 05:00 PM
Whoa.. you get free gameday audio with the mLB app? what about with the sox app?

soxfan21
04-10-2009, 05:09 PM
Got the at bat app as well, it is awesome and do not need or want anything else, definately worth the $10.

cbotnyse
04-10-2009, 05:15 PM
I've been using the Gameday audio on Edge and I've never had any kind of buffering or anything. It comes through crystal clear with no interference.really? wow I might have to grab it.

asindc
04-10-2009, 05:16 PM
Got the at bat app as well, it is awesome and do not need or want anything else, definately worth the $10.

I agree. Well worth the $10. It is great to jump back and forth between games. I'm afraid I'm going to wear down my battery to soon!

october23sp
04-10-2009, 05:27 PM
The at bat is absolutly amazing. The audio is really what makes it though. I was listening to the Sox game yesterday while taking notes.

BoKnowsBest
04-10-2009, 05:33 PM
really? wow I might have to grab it.

Yeah, I've got the old iPhone and listened to the game without it stopping to buffer or anything at work yesterday. Its a great app, makes the work day go so much quicker when there's actually a game on.

Taliesinrk
04-10-2009, 05:36 PM
can u get these on the itouch as well?

Jurr
04-10-2009, 05:46 PM
The at bat is absolutly amazing. The audio is really what makes it though. I was listening to the Sox game yesterday while taking notes.

No doubt about it. Awesome stuff. I have yet to cave in and get any of the satellite radio subscriptions, so this makes the commute much more tolerable. The video highlights when something big happens are crystal clear, as well.

Boondock Saint
04-10-2009, 05:53 PM

I just checked, and yes you can.

doublem23
04-10-2009, 06:06 PM

The iPod Touch can do anything the iPhone can do, except act as a phone (obviously). Of course, the iPod Touch also needs to find a wifi signal to do anything with the internet, but that's becoming easier and easier to find.

Taliesinrk
04-10-2009, 06:18 PM
I just checked, and yes you can.

The iPod Touch can do anything the iPhone can do, except act as a phone (obviously). Of course, the iPod Touch also needs to find a wifi signal to do anything with the internet, but that's becoming easier and easier to find.

Thanks!

Frater Perdurabo
04-10-2009, 06:46 PM
Wait a minute, please re-explain this for me.

If I get an iPhone, and buy the White Sox app, I can listen to the radio broadcast of White Sox games as long as I am on AT&T's 3G network (or on WiFi)?

asindc
04-10-2009, 06:52 PM

If I get an iPhone, and buy the White Sox app, I can listen to the radio broadcast of White Sox games as long as I am on AT&T's 3G network (or on WiFi)?

I don't know if you can listen to Sox games through the White Sox app, but you definitely can (along with all other MLB games) through the "At Bat" iPhone app that mlb.com has provided to Apple.

ChicagoRushFan
04-11-2009, 02:40 AM
On the subject of the MLB At Bat App I just wanted to add to the discussion of using it on the ipod touch. I purchased it a tad reluctantly for my ipod touch worrying even with my network in the house the audio would buffer.

But I have to say I'm pretty impressed. I can bounce back from feed to feed very easily and while occasionally it will pause, overall it's solid. I wish I could access archived broacasts on it, but that's not a huge deal.

So in my opinion. if you have a dependable wifi sigal, purshasing the MLB at bat app for the ipod touch is worth it.

Plus you can view in game highlights on it when avaliable, that's pretty cool too.

whitesox901
04-11-2009, 02:48 AM
I have an Instinct (which is an Iphone knock off), I wish Sprint had team apps, I have a sports one which tells me scores and stuff, but still, I think it would be cool to have a Sox, Blackhawks, Bears and Bulls apps.

stl_sox_fan
04-11-2009, 08:52 AM
Coworker of mine downloaded the mlb app and was showing it off this week. Very cool. Switching back and forth between Royals and White Sox broadcast was pretty cool. Plus it had video highlights of top plays during the game. I switch to ATT at the end of the month and the mlb app will probably be the first one I get for my new IPhone.

NardiWasHere
04-11-2009, 02:06 PM
I have the free "sportacular" app and it's worked well for me...

Besides audio, what else does the MLB app do?

NDSox12
04-11-2009, 03:16 PM
Just bought the app myself. Pretty awesome. For some reason, the Sox audio broadcast doesn't seem to be available this afternoon, so I'm stuck listening to the Twins feed.

Hitmen77
04-15-2009, 02:45 PM
I don't think I saw an answer on what the $3 White Sox app does that the MLB app doesn't do? Does anyone know?

By the way, the MLB app is pretty cool!:cool:

RedHeadPaleHoser
04-15-2009, 03:21 PM

I bought it as well.....it so rocks.

I was listening to the Friday night game in Denver on my headset. It was great! The gameday doesn't update as quickly as it should (at one point it was a full inning behind) but other than that, the audio portion is awesome.

RedHeadPaleHoser
04-15-2009, 03:23 PM

I know you can on the MLB At Bat app. Works on 3G and Wi-Fi. IMO, it works better on 3G.

october23sp
04-15-2009, 10:15 PM
I know you can on the MLB At Bat app. Works on 3G and Wi-Fi. IMO, it works better on 3G.

Didn't know it got better than the Wi-Fi I use for it. My high school's connection is perfect and my houses also. The Sox broadcast was choppy today, so I had to listen to the Tigers broadcast. The Sox broadcast wasn't near bad, but it was kind of annoying. Thats the only thing it's ever done that I didn't absolutly love.

04-15-2009, 10:15 PM

No 3G needed.

Hitmen77
05-27-2009, 09:11 PM

The MLB app on the ipod touch/iphone now lets you watch the "compressed" version of each MLB game. You see the final pitch of each at-bat in about 10-15 minutes.

NDSox12
05-27-2009, 09:17 PM
The MLB app on the ipod touch/iphone now lets you watch the "compressed" version of each MLB game. You see the final pitch of each at-bat in about 10-15 minutes.

Wow, that's awesome! I had already pretty much decided this was the best $10 I had ever spent, but now there is no question about it.

soxfanreggie
05-27-2009, 09:26 PM
MLB is a great app. It's worth it for me just for the audio! Can't wait to check out the compressed game as well. Thanks 77.

russ99
05-27-2009, 11:48 PM
I switch to ATT at the end of the month and the mlb app will probably be the first one I get for my new IPhone.

I'm doing the same, but I'd wait until July, since new iPhones (v3) are coming out. The new ones will have a faster processor, more drive space and the ability to use it as a wireless 3G modem for a computer.

They're to have the OS upgrade too, with copy/paste and persistent connections for apps, so you can switch apps with data remaining intact.

No word on true multi-tasking (multiple apps running at the same time) and a Flash Player yet...

rwcescato
05-28-2009, 12:57 AM

Yes i have it on itouch and it works great. You can watch the hilights as the game is going along. I use it all the time. They just added condensed game hilights its really cool well worth the 10 bucks.:gulp:

RedHeadPaleHoser
05-28-2009, 06:08 AM
I saw one today in the app store for 3 bucks. Anybody buy it?

I was hoping the team would make a free one by now. someone email Brooks.

Get the MLB at bat app - trust me, it's worth the $10. Game audio anywhere you're connected, with video, Gameday....and your favorite team is always the 1st game listed.

Edit - I didn't see the date. My bad - sorry cbot. Coffee, please....

angiew
05-28-2009, 10:58 AM
I just got an iphone and I'm loving it!! I've thought about getting the mlb app but haven't done it yet. Since I purchase the mlb premium package and can watch the games on my computer, am I also able to do that with the iphone app? I've paid a fortune for the subscription and I'm hoping I can just sign in and watch the games on my phone just like I can on the pc. Does anyone know?

Hitmen77
05-28-2009, 11:34 AM
I just got an iphone and I'm loving it!! I've thought about getting the mlb app but haven't done it yet. Since I purchase the mlb premium package and can watch the games on my computer, am I also able to do that with the iphone app? I've paid a fortune for the subscription and I'm hoping I can just sign in and watch the games on my phone just like I can on the pc. Does anyone know?

I don't know if it works any differently on the iPhone, but on the ipod touch the MLB app does not come with game telecasts.

What it does come with is a version of Gameday (including video highlights), the audio feed of all teams' radio broadcast (for each game you can choose the radio feed from either team), and now the compressed game feature.

However, if you already are subscribed to the mlb premium package, perhaps you could just access it through the iphone's web browser? I don't know how the mlb online telecasts work to be able to answer that.

RedHeadPaleHoser
05-28-2009, 11:39 AM

Like Hitman said, you might be able to access it via Safari's browser, but like anything, it's gonna be based on what network/Wifi connection you're on as well.

The app on iPhone gives you the Gameday, home/away audio, and play by play scoring/video highlights. If it had the actual tv broadcasts, I'd be in big trouble! :D:

angiew
05-28-2009, 11:44 AM
Thanks for the info guys! I haven't tried to access the gameday audio from safari, but I have tried the video. It says I have to install flash, and since iphone doesn't support flash I guess that's pretty much out of the question. I'll try the audio though....I'm going to be pissed if my already paid for subscription doesn't work and they want me to buy the one exclusively for iphone. If that's the case I'll just have to make due without it....I already have more paid subscriptions than I can handle:o: LOL

stl_sox_fan
05-28-2009, 12:03 PM
I'm doing the same, but I'd wait until July, since new iPhones (v3) are coming out. The new ones will have a faster processor, more drive space and the ability to use it as a wireless 3G modem for a computer.

They're to have the OS upgrade too, with copy/paste and persistent connections for apps, so you can switch apps with data remaining intact.

No word on true multi-tasking (multiple apps running at the same time) and a Flash Player yet...

Couldn't wait. I will probably be kicking myself later this summer. The mlb app is great. I love the in game audio feature.
Funny story, last Thursday(that Twins game) I was showing off the app at lunch to a friend. Popped up the game(20-0 at the time) and said "well obviously the app is broken". Sadly it wasn't.

soxfanreggie
05-28-2009, 06:53 PM
Just checked out the video part of it. That is pretty darn sweet!

Gavin
05-30-2009, 08:48 PM
Surely they will come out with something for us non fanboy G1 users.

angiew
05-31-2009, 01:14 PM
I broke down and bought the app and it's great! While I'm still greedy and want the ability to watch live games the audio is great. Hubby and I went fishing last night and were able to catch the game from the lake. That alone was worth the 10 bucks!

cbotnyse
06-04-2009, 01:56 PM
I just downloaded the new ESPN app. it has a pretty good gameday feature on it.

and its free.

RedHeadPaleHoser
06-04-2009, 02:01 PM
I just downloaded the new ESPN app. it has a pretty good gameday feature on it.

and its free.

I have it too. It updates GD faster than MLB does.

But since I don't get AM radio signals clear at work, the game's on MLB audio. I'll use ESPN on Sunday while I sit in the Rialto theater all day. :cool:

cbotnyse
06-04-2009, 02:03 PM
yeah it does update very fast. I'm surprised. there is a video option too I just noticed. maybe for in game highlights.

WestSider
06-06-2009, 11:41 AM
yeah it does update very fast. I'm surprised. there is a video option too I just noticed. maybe for in game highlights.
Are you talking about "ESPN ScoreCenter"? I can't seem to find any video option in the app.

Sockinchisox
06-17-2009, 10:02 AM
With the release of iPhone 3.0, The MLB At-Bat app will begin to stream full live games over 3G starting tomorrow.

http://gizmodo.com/5293907/mlb-streaming-full-live-games-to-iphone-over-3g-starting-tomorrow

RedHeadPaleHoser
06-17-2009, 10:18 AM
With the release of iPhone 3.0, The MLB At-Bat app will begin to stream full live games over 3G starting tomorrow.

http://gizmodo.com/5293907/mlb-streaming-full-live-games-to-iphone-over-3g-starting-tomorrow

Awesome!! I've been overdue in syncing my iPhone - now, it's a definite. :D:

NDSox12
06-17-2009, 11:16 AM

Great timing! I might get to see some of tomorrow's game now. I fear this will be a battery drainer, but oh well.

Hitmen77
06-17-2009, 11:19 AM

I wonder if this will be available on the iPod Touch too (when connected through wi-fi, that is).

Sockinchisox
06-17-2009, 11:20 AM
I wonder if this will be available on the iPod Touch too (when connected through wi-fi, that is).

I'm sure it will be.

angiew
06-18-2009, 07:51 AM
My dreams have come true! MLB at bat now has streaming video for the iphone!!! Right now they're just offering 2 games per day but I'm hopeful that will change so I can watch all the Sox games. The new free update for the phone will allow you to get the video, and it's a free app update for all current subscribers. How cool is this?!!:bandance:

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090616&content_id=5353382&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

ShoelessJoeS
06-18-2009, 08:10 AM
My dreams have come true! MLB at bat now has streaming video for the iphone!!! Right now they're just offering 2 games per day but I'm hopeful that will change so I can watch all the Sox games. The new free update for the phone will allow you to get the video, and it's a free app update for all current subscribers. How cool is this?!!:bandance:

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090616&content_id=5353382&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb Hmmmm... well this certainly isn't going to aid in my productivity at work. :cool:

anewman35
06-18-2009, 08:25 AM
Hmmmm... well this certainly isn't going to aid in my productivity at work. :cool:

Note that this is going to be subject to the same regional blackouts that mlb.tv is, which means people in Chicago won't get to see Sox games.

35th&Shields
06-18-2009, 09:01 AM
Did anyone else have a hard time getting WhiteSox.com mobile to load? I have an iPhone with ATT/3G. During the game I was in a meeting and no matter how many times I hit reload, turned on and off, etc. it wouldn't load.

I'm wondering if something was up with my phone or if others had the same problem.

mrwag
06-18-2009, 09:04 AM
Note that this is going to be subject to the same regional blackouts that mlb.tv is, which means people in Chicago won't get to see Sox games.

I was wondering about that. Even in Rockford, will I be blacked out?

stl_sox_fan
06-18-2009, 09:46 AM
Just upgraded the phone and mlb app yesterday. Can't wait to watch the Sox game today. Wonder how much of a strain it will be on the battery life.

WestSider
06-18-2009, 09:58 AM
Their webpage (cited above) says that shortly after the launch of live games, they expect to roll out the entire slate of out-of-market games currently offered through MLB.TV Premium. This would indicate that blackouts will apply.

Time to get that iTunes address updated to your cousin in Idaho! :cool:

ShoelessJoeS
06-18-2009, 10:06 AM
Just upgraded the phone and mlb app yesterday. Can't wait to watch the Sox game today. Wonder how much of a strain it will be on the battery life.Just listening to the game audio drains the battery pretty quickly, so I imagine the video will be even worse.

Sockinchisox
06-18-2009, 10:27 AM
I was wondering about that. Even in Rockford, will I be blacked out?

Yes.

angiew
06-18-2009, 11:08 AM
Just listening to the game audio drains the battery pretty quickly, so I imagine the video will be even worse.

True, that's the one true gripe I have about the iphone...battery life is horrible. I'm still very excited about this! And since I'm in Oklahoma I don't have any trouble getting the games...except on the dreaded Saturdays.

InKennyWeTrust
06-18-2009, 11:13 AM
I read that the blackout policy will be based on the present GPS location.

russ99
06-18-2009, 01:22 PM
True, that's the one true gripe I have about the iphone...battery life is horrible. I'm still very excited about this! And since I'm in Oklahoma I don't have any trouble getting the games...except on the dreaded Saturdays.

Supposedly they upgraded the battery for the new 3G S. I'll let you know how much of an improvement it is when I get mine on Saturday.

InKennyWeTrust
06-18-2009, 01:25 PM
I read that the blackout policy will be based on the present GPS location.
And it's in effect now. The game is being broadcast on the iPhone today, but I had to let them "use my current location", and thus I was blacked out.

But the good news is that your physical location is the ONLY restriction, because if this was MLB.TV, it would have denied me for the billing address before anything else.

ShoelessJoeS
06-18-2009, 01:25 PM
I read that the blackout policy will be based on the present GPS location.It is. When you open the app and click the video button, it asks to use your current location and then locates you. :(:

At least the audio still works.

angiew
06-18-2009, 02:01 PM
Supposedly they upgraded the battery for the new 3G S. I'll let you know how much of an improvement it is when I get mine on Saturday.

Thanks, I'm curious to see if it's better.

RedHeadPaleHoser
06-18-2009, 02:04 PM
My MLB hunted me down and shut me out also. Audio works perfectly, and I have my USB cable plugged into my computer to steal juice.

stl_sox_fan
06-18-2009, 03:02 PM
In St Louis it's working. Over the 3G network it's pretty good. Video quality is not the best, but hey, I get to see the Sox beating the Cubs!

RedHeadPaleHoser
06-18-2009, 04:07 PM
In St Louis it's working. Over the 3G network it's pretty good. Video quality is not the best, but hey, I get to see the Sox beating the Cubs!

Then you're not watching Linebrink TV. :angry:

stl_sox_fan
06-18-2009, 04:10 PM
Then you're not watching Linebrink TV. :angry:

The broadcast was several minutes behind real time. Was watching it walking into my house with Bradley up. Turned the TV on to see the replay of Lee's HR. That ruined my day......

pilotsox
06-18-2009, 09:05 PM
Is anyone else having problems with the live video streaming? I've got a Touch, I've got OS 3.0, At Bat 2009, the whole shebang. Yet, when I find a live broadcast game and click on the TV emblem, it says its searching for my location (I'm not in a blackout area) and it just keeps loading, even if I let it go for ten to twenty minutes.

Additionally, when I use other apps that need to determine current location, such as Flixster and Maps, it works fine. So I doubt it's the GPA signal in my system, and something with MLB's app instead.

whtsox13
06-18-2009, 09:11 PM
Is anyone else having problems with the live video streaming? I've got a Touch, I've got OS 3.0, At Bat 2009, the whole shebang. Yet, when I find a live broadcast game and click on the TV emblem, it says its searching for my location (I'm not in a blackout area) and it just keeps loading, even if I let it go for ten to twenty minutes.

Additionally, when I use other apps that need to determine current location, such as Flixster and Maps, it works fine. So I doubt it's the GPA signal in my system, and something with MLB's app instead.

I am having the same problem with my iTouch. Just keeps searching for location.

pilotsox
06-18-2009, 09:51 PM
I am having the same problem with my iTouch. Just keeps searching for location.

Well now I'm less concerned. It's probably just an app glitch that will be resolved in a few days.

InKennyWeTrust
06-18-2009, 11:11 PM
I saw part of the Cardinals game tonight on it, and it appears they're using a "variable quality", based on the connection strength. At first, it was quite granny, and I had trouble seeing the score. But then, the quality went up a notch, and it was amazing!

NDSox12
07-22-2009, 05:47 PM
FYI, a new version of MLB At Bat came out today (1.3.0), which now allows MLB.TV subscribers to watch ALL games on their iPhones (blackout restrictions apply).

This doesn't benefit me since I'm not a MLB.TV user, but I figure some of you probably are. I'm strongly considering dumping Extra Innings next year to go with MLB.TV, especially if my cable company doesn't get with it and start carrying Extra Innings games in HD.