PDA

View Full Version : RIP Marie Olbermann

Viva Medias B's
04-09-2009, 10:53 PM
Marie Olbermann, who was Keith Olbermann's mother, passed away last weekend after a brief illness. Why am I including this here in this forum? Well, Marie Olbermann became somewhat famous in her own right on June 17, 2000, and the White Sox had something to do with it. We were in New York playing the Yankees (in what was to become part of a four game sweep of the Yankees), and Marie was sitting in the stands along the first base line. Greg Norton hit a grounder to Yankee second baseman Chuck Knoblauch. Knoblauch, who was dealing with his father's illness at the time, grabbed the ball and while trying to throw it to first base instead threw it into the stands and struck Marie. It became the talk of the town.

Hitmen77
04-10-2009, 08:53 AM
I remember that incident. At the time, Knoblauch was dealing with fielding problems. It's been a while and I don't remember...but it may have been that he kept making wild throws.

Pretty wild that he hit the mother of somebody who is well known. RIP Marie.

moochpuppy
04-10-2009, 08:57 AM
Knoblauch was suffering from Steve Sax Syndrome.

Another Sox reference. :smile:

RIP Marie. May the baseballs in Heaven not hit you.

tick53
04-10-2009, 02:03 PM
I saw Keith's tribute to his mother the other night. Very moving. Rest In Peace Mrs Olbermann. You were a true fan of the game.

NardiWasHere
04-10-2009, 05:15 PM
I was at that Knoblauch/Olbermann game.

Viva Medias B's
04-10-2009, 09:51 PM
I saw Keith's tribute to his mother the other night. Very moving. Rest In Peace Mrs Olbermann. You were a true fan of the game.

Here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oI0ro4QpYNc) is that tribute.