PDA

View Full Version : Crede Tribute Friday

SoxGirl4Life
04-09-2009, 12:30 PM
Classy
http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2009/04/crede-video-tribute-planned-by-white-sox.html

oeo
04-09-2009, 12:40 PM
Meh, I think this is a little much. He was important to the team's success in 2005, but this isn't Frank Thomas we're talking about.

Thome25
04-09-2009, 12:40 PM
Very classy thing for the Sox to do. He was one of the best 3B in our history and if not for injuries, he may have surpassed Ventura as the best ever.

We wouldn't have won it all in 2005 without the amazing pitching performances in the 2005 playoffs but, to me Crede was the top position player in the 2005 postseason.

He had several game-saving hits and glovework in the ALCS and WS.

Thanks Joe!! I'm glad you're getting a tribute you deserve.

Thome25
04-09-2009, 12:41 PM
Meh, I think this is a little much. He was important to the team's success in 2005, but this isn't Frank Thomas we're talking about.

What did Crede do kick your dog or piss in your cornflakes this morning? Always the pessimist huh Oeo?!

oeo
04-09-2009, 12:42 PM
What did Crede do kick your dog or piss in your cornflakes this morning? Always the pessimist huh Oeo?!

What the hell? :scratch:

Sorry I disagree with you, but somebody had there cornflakes pissed in, and it wasn't me.

gregoriop
04-09-2009, 12:43 PM

I agree.

VeeckAsInWreck
04-09-2009, 12:45 PM
he may have surpassed Ventura as the best ever.

Whoa! Let's not get carried away here! Crede was great for us in 2005 but I wouldn't say that he was better than Robin.

Otherwise, I like that the Sox are giving Crede his tribute.

CHISOXFAN13
04-09-2009, 12:46 PM

Its a short video tribute. It's not like we are retiring his number.

He was a fan-favorite and a very important piece to the puzzle in 2005.

Thome25
What the hell? :scratch:

Sorry I disagree with you, but somebody had there cornflakes pissed in, and it wasn't me.

Judging by your posts....IMO it seems like your opinions are of the "glass half empty" variety......It's OK if you disagree with me though. You have a right to your opinion.

What's the big deal if the Sox want to honor a guy who had several great moments with us? I think he deserves it and it's a good thing.

soxfan43
Did they do this when Frank returned with the A's? I can't remember.

thomas35forever
Awesome. I'm glad the Sox are letting Crede know that his presence will always be felt on the South Side.

cleanwsox
04-09-2009, 12:47 PM
The guy spent 10+ years in the organization and was first class for pretty much all of it. A little video beforehand is a nice thank you, it's not like his number is being retired or something.

Sockinchisox

Kind of agree here, I'll always remember what Crede did for us in 05. But he doesn't resemble anything close to a legend or HOF player.

Thome25
Whoa! Let's not get carried away here! Crede was great for us in 2005 but I wouldn't say that he was better than Robin.

Otherwise, I like that the Sox are giving Crede his tribute.

No 3B is better than ventura in Sox history IMO.....I was just saying that if not for Crede's injuries, he may have surpassed Ventura.....given more games w/o injury.

doublem23
04-09-2009, 12:48 PM
Eh, it's not that big of a deal, just a quick video tribute and maybe a thank you from Joe. They do this a lot for ex-players making their first trip back to the Cell. You can't deny Joe's importance to the 2005 team and for that, most of us will always be grateful to him.

It's not like they're giving him a statue or retiring his number.

Sockinchisox

I don't remember but they gave him one when he came here with the Jays congratulating him on hitting 500 HRs.

oeo
Judging by your posts....IMO it seems like your opinions are of the "glass half empty" variety......It's OK if you disagree with me though. You have a right to your opinion.

What has given you that idea? I'm not like that at all.

And I fail to see how thinking a tribute to Crede is a little much makes you a pessimist...

What's the big deal if the Sox want to honor a guy who had several great moments with us? I think he deserves it and it's a good thing.All I said was I thought it's a little much. I didn't know that would upset you, geez.

Thome25
04-09-2009, 12:50 PM
What has given you that idea? I'm not like that at all.

And I fail to see how thinking a tribute to Crede is a little much makes you a pessimist...

I said I thought it was a little much. I didn't know that would upset you, geez.

I was half-joking with the dog-kicking post.....perhaps i should've put it in teal? I didn't think it was needed though.:D:

Lip Man 1
04-09-2009, 12:51 PM
He deserves some recognition for being a major contributor in 2005 and the post season run.

I have no issues with this, classy move by the Sox.

Lip

I_Liked_Manuel
04-09-2009, 12:55 PM
The guy spent 10+ years in the organization and was first class for pretty much all of it. A little video beforehand is a nice thank you, it's not like his number is being retired or something.

First class, as in, not getting the recommended surgery on his back and not listening to a hitting coach?

DeadMoney
Eh, it's not that big of a deal, just a quick video tribute and maybe a thank you from Joe. They do this a lot for ex-players making their first trip back to the Cell. You can't deny Joe's importance to the 2005 team and for that, most of us will always be grateful to him.

It's not like they're giving him a statue or retiring his number.

Nope, he's already on a monument (http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3181/2605762866_70caa229f5.jpg?v=0). :redneck

I have no problem with this though; very classy thing to do by the Sox.

oeo

I know what he did for the team, I mentioned that. I still think it's a little much. I was hoping he would just get his tribute from the fans, and that would be that. I don't care, though, it's not like I'm upset.

Woofer
04-09-2009, 01:28 PM
I think this is a classy move by the Sox. Joe will always be remembered as a key member of the 05 team, no matter what else he does in his playing career.

I know that they had a video presentation the first time Ventura came back to town, and several times for Frank.

LoveYourSuit
04-09-2009, 01:34 PM
Next thing you know, Dustin Hermanson is going to get a statue built here.

chisoxfanatic
04-09-2009, 01:42 PM
Crede was huge in '05. It's just too bad he had to go to the friggen Twins of all teams.

Very classy thing for the Sox to do. He was one of the best 3B in our history and if not for injuries, he may have surpassed Ventura as the best ever.
I don't know about that. Robin is pretty tough to top.
Bad comparison.

Thome25
04-09-2009, 01:42 PM

WOW......I hope your not serious. Where's the teal LYS? Giving Crede a tribute isn't a big deal.

kittle42
04-09-2009, 01:45 PM

No way. Willie Harris scored the winning run - he's first!

Thome25
04-09-2009, 01:45 PM
I don't know about that. Robin is pretty tough to top.

Ventura is one of my favorite Sox players of all-time and THE BEST 3B in White Sox history.......I was simply implying that who knows what would've happened if crede hadn't been injured all of those times?

Do I think he topped Ventura already? Nope. Is there a chance he might've if not for his nagging back injuries? Maybe......who knows?:D:

chisoxfanatic
04-09-2009, 01:46 PM
:hawk
Carlos Gomez deserves a statue out there as well.

house215
04-09-2009, 01:47 PM
Maybe Crede's Crew will reunite for the tribute.

Dibbs
04-09-2009, 01:47 PM
Crede is much more overrated than Rowand. This tribute is a little much given his career numbers. Someone like Ray Durham has better numbers.

Anyway, no big deal if they would like to do it for him. Joe is a good guy.

esbrechtel
04-09-2009, 01:49 PM

They did 3 things...

First they showed a video, allowed him to address the fans and Gene announced him as "NUMBER 35, FRAAAANKKKKK THOMAS" when he came up to bat....

LoveYourSuit
04-09-2009, 02:06 PM
:hawk
Carlos Gomez deserves a statue out there as well.

"DJ, Gomez is going to make a whole lot of people forget about Roberto Clemente."

Domeshot17
04-09-2009, 02:13 PM
No 3B is better than ventura in Sox history IMO.....I was just saying that if not for Crede's injuries, he may have surpassed Ventura.....given more games w/o injury.

It's really not close and not because of Injuries. I think the Video is overkill. Joe Crede had a fantastic playoff run, and 1 good season for the Sox. Outside of that he was an all or nothing low average hitter with a good glove. I know he was vital in our World Series Playoff Run, but outside that he didn't do much for the Sox organization.

In a way, it diminishes the video tribute they gave Frank. Hell, it isn't like Freddy Garcia got one, and he had a better Sox career then Crede.

The truth is it is what it is. You can tell the way the Sox are impacted by the economy over the last 2 games as outside opening day US Cellular is EMPTY! This is hoping to bring some fans in early since Crede was always a cult hero with a large group of Sox Fans. All Marketing

cleanwsox
04-09-2009, 02:17 PM
and not listening to a hitting coach?

Considering our hitting coach, that is first class.

cheezheadsoxfan
04-09-2009, 02:30 PM
Considering our hitting coach, that is first class.

:rolling:

anewman35
04-09-2009, 02:45 PM
They did 3 things...

First they showed a video, allowed him to address the fans and Gene announced him as "NUMBER 35, FRAAAANKKKKK THOMAS" when he came up to bat....

I think the most remarkable thing about that game is that first at-bat, he got a standing ovation, he hit a homer, and got ANOTHER standing ovation. He hit another homer later in the game and IIRC the crowd was a little less enthusiatic, but he still get a lot of cheers. Best part of all: The Sox won!

anewman35
04-09-2009, 02:46 PM
As long as the Sox don't leave his locker empty...

Rocky Soprano
04-09-2009, 02:47 PM
I'm very happy they are doing this.
Now I need to make the game.

jabrch
04-09-2009, 02:56 PM
He deserves some recognition for being a major contributor in 2005 and the post season run.

I have no issues with this, classy move by the Sox.

Lip

I'm with Lip. This is a nice tribute. Compare it to the assbags in Cleveland and how they treated Thome, who deserved more respect than he got.

For all the pissing and moaning some fans do about how people always leave here on bad terms, this was really a nice thing to see. We know KW and OG had a warm spot for Joe, up until the very end. I think this is a nice thing to do for him. We aren't retiring his # and putting a statue up for him. A short video montage of some of his best moments is really cool.

ChiSoxGirl
04-09-2009, 02:59 PM
I agree with everyone who said this is a classy move. I love Crede.... Is there anyone in recent memory who was more clutch for the Sox than him?

Hopefully, someone out there videos it and posts it on YouTube because I won't be at the ballpark tomorrow night and would love to see it.

chisox12
04-09-2009, 04:12 PM
I agree with everyone who said this is a classy move. I love Crede.... Is there anyone in recent memory who was more clutch for the Sox than him?

Hopefully, someone out there videos it and posts it on YouTube because I won't be at the ballpark tomorrow night and would love to see it.

It's a very classy move. I don't see why anyone would have a problem with it. Crede was a huge fan favorite who was vital to bringing the Sox their first championship in 88 years. I can't wait to be there for the video and the standing O Crede will recieve for his first at bat.

GoGoCrede
04-09-2009, 04:29 PM
I love this move. Glad to see there isn't any bad blood. I wish Crede nothing but luck (but I hope his team finishes in second behind us). Hope no one boos him.

Boondock Saint
04-09-2009, 05:04 PM
I think it's a bit much, but I'm not upset by it. I'd prefer to let the fans provide him with his "tribute" by giving him a nice ovation when he steps onto the field.

TomBradley72
04-09-2009, 05:18 PM

100+ year old franchise, among White Sox 3rd baseman all time, Joe Crede is:

#4 in games played, ABs, runs, hits, RBIs, total bases
#3 in doubles
#2 in HRs
In 2005 he played a major role in the World Series championship (HR against Cleveland in late September was the difference between Indians being 3.5 games out instead of 1.5, hit .379 in September overall, hit .289-4-11 in the post season overall, including .368 in the ALCS and .294 in the World Series, while playing "Brooks Robinson" defense)

In 2006 he earned the Silver Slugger award and was the Sporting News All Star 3rd baseman for the AL.

2008 American League All Star.

I'm pretty sure that's worthy of a 2-3 minute tribute video. :gulp:

sunofgold
04-09-2009, 05:22 PM
Hermanson, Harris, Blum, Ozuna...

We went 88 years w/o a championship. They all deserve a short tribute.

Probably wasn't an appropriate time to give Garcia one b/c that was a big game for us. And he was the starter. (that make up game with the Tigers). The focus had to be on the game.

TomBradley72
04-09-2009, 05:31 PM
It's really not close and not because of Injuries. I think the Video is overkill. Joe Crede had a fantastic playoff run, and 1 good season for the Sox. Outside of that he was an all or nothing low average hitter with a good glove. I know he was vital in our World Series Playoff Run, but outside that he didn't do much for the Sox organization.

In a way, it diminishes the video tribute they gave Frank. Hell, it isn't like Freddy Garcia got one, and he had a better Sox career then Crede.

The truth is it is what it is. You can tell the way the Sox are impacted by the economy over the last 2 games as outside opening day US Cellular is EMPTY! This is hoping to bring some fans in early since Crede was always a cult hero with a large group of Sox Fans. All Marketing

Actually it IS pretty close...most of Ventura's seasons with the White Sox, he was in the .270-20-90 range on offense. I don't see how Crede's tribute diminishes Thomas' in any way. I don't really think a 3 minute tribute video will bring a flood of walk up ticket sales, and I doubt the White Sox think so either, it's not like they've announced "Joe Crede Night" or anything. The White Sox are just thanking a guy who had huge impact and played with alot of guts and through alot of pain while with the team.

longtimesoxguy
04-09-2009, 05:36 PM
This is something Joe should have. The reason I will be there friday is because of JOE CREDEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!! Forever a made man on the southside!!!!

SOXfnNlansing
04-09-2009, 06:06 PM
i agree.
+2

Frater Perdurabo
04-09-2009, 09:02 PM
I agree with many that this is a classy move.

Will they retire his number for being the franchise leader in popouts? :tongue:

Brian26
04-09-2009, 09:11 PM
The truth is it is what it is. You can tell the way the Sox are impacted by the economy over the last 2 games as outside opening day US Cellular is EMPTY!

Not to say the Sox won't be affected by the economy this season, but the Park is empty like this every year because the games after Opening Day are meaningless April games in typically very bad weather conditions. The only exception to this was 2006 when the 2nd game of the season was Ring Day and the 3rd game was Trophy Day.

asindc
04-09-2009, 09:16 PM
JOE! CREDE!!

He was a big reason the Sox got it done in '05. A small tribute it shall be!:gulp:

dakuda
04-09-2009, 09:45 PM
They did 3 things...

....then he hit a home run. Twice.

spiffie
04-09-2009, 10:39 PM

I'm pretty sure that would be copyright infringement.

Britt Burns
04-09-2009, 10:48 PM
Great move by the Sox.

kruzer31
04-09-2009, 10:53 PM
....then he hit a home run. Twice.

Then the Sox won on a Pablo bunt single.

Jimmy John
04-09-2009, 11:29 PM

Not if they're at the game and videotape it themselves, which I'm sure somebody will. Hopefully CSN will show it during the pre-game though.

ChiSoxGirl
04-10-2009, 12:09 AM

Well, even if it is, people take their own videos at the ballpark and post them on YouTube all the time. I wasn't insinuating that someone from WSI go to the ballpark and post a video here....

It's Dankerific
04-10-2009, 12:20 AM
I'll just hope the White Sox post it on their own website. That'll save us from arguing the nuance of copyright law, especially since the majority have a very weak grasp of the subject.

ChiSoxGirl
04-10-2009, 12:23 AM
I'll just hope the White Sox post in on their own website. That'll save us from arguing the nuance of copyright law, especially since the majority have a very weak grasp of the subject.

That would solve everything. :smile:

Konerko05
04-10-2009, 01:15 AM

It's not like they're leaving his locker cleared out for an entire season.

35th and Shields
04-10-2009, 01:17 AM
Great move by the Sox.

The sox are a classy organization. They like to thank and accommodate players whenever they can.

Besides, I'll take any excuse to relive memories from 05. :gulp:

cheezheadsoxfan
04-10-2009, 07:44 AM
The sox are a classy organization. They like to thank and accommodate players whenever they can.

Besides, I'll take any excuse to relive memories from 05. :gulp:

Well put. I specifically got tickets for this game to welcome Joe back.

WhiteSox1989
04-10-2009, 07:50 AM
Well put. I specifically got tickets for this game to welcome Joe back.

Same here.

...and because I want a calender.

Frontman
04-10-2009, 08:23 AM

I'm fine with a video montage....pre-game. Don't suspend play for those few minutes before he bats with a presentation; and why would I want to hear from him as a fan?

"Thank you for all your support. Sorry my agent is a jerk the Sox refuse to deal with. And I probably should of handled my rehab better and picked up the phone every once in a while to let the team know how I was doing....."

Frontman
04-10-2009, 08:24 AM
It's not like they're leaving his locker cleared out for an entire season.

Burn, damn. Don't look now, Konerko05, the "He's not a Sox fan, he's a Cubs hater!" posts will be flying your way..... :wink:

soxfan21
04-10-2009, 08:41 AM
It's a nice touch, wish I could be there to see it.

cbone
04-10-2009, 08:43 AM
Hey, they are still booing Thome in Cleveland. I like this approach much better. Thanks Joe! :gulp:

Frontman
04-10-2009, 09:19 AM
Hey, they are still booing Thome in Cleveland. I like this approach much better. Thanks Joe! :gulp:

Very well put. I stand corrected.

Still don't want to hear him talk, though.

soxpride724
04-10-2009, 09:52 AM
So after his first at bat will anyone here boo him? Just curious.

SoxFan78
04-10-2009, 11:15 AM

I sure hope not. I hope in his first at bat he gets a standion ovation. He deserves it.

soltrain21
04-10-2009, 11:41 AM

Well, he is a jerkass Twin.

HomeFish
04-10-2009, 11:54 AM
It was our first World Series in 88 years. It makes sense to pay him tribute, even if he was a completely mediocre player outside of a few weeks in October of 2005.

Rocky Soprano
04-10-2009, 12:10 PM
Any idea when the tribute will actually be played? The link says before the game or will they do it like they did for Frank, before he came up to bat...

I work until 6pm and would have to really rush to make it before opening pitch and I don't want to miss the tribute.

october23sp
04-10-2009, 01:00 PM
I think everyone knows how I feel about the Crede situation, I think this game should be a tribute to 163 personally.

chisox77
04-10-2009, 01:09 PM
Here's to Joe Crede, Mr. Clutch.

palehozenychicty
04-10-2009, 01:38 PM
It's cool that they have something lined up. Crede was not at the level of Ventura, though. He was waay too inconsistent for that talk. Slow down.

Frontman
04-10-2009, 02:41 PM

If I was there, I would not boo. I find that classless to do.

Now, if he hits out two bombs and helps the Twins win? Ok, his last at bat, MAYBE a boo. :wink:

WhiteSoxJunkie
04-10-2009, 04:31 PM
This is a good move by the Sox. They should say thank you to a fan favorite who did everything he could to bring home a title.

longtimesoxguy
04-10-2009, 05:59 PM
It's cool that they have something lined up. Crede was not at the level of Ventura, though. He was waay too inconsistent for that talk. Slow down.

Maybe but I'll tell you this Joe was there when we needed him the most!!!!!!

esbrechtel
04-10-2009, 06:05 PM
Then the Sox won on a Pablo bunt single.

And in the bottom of the 8th Mackowiack hit a big Homerun to tie

Frontman
04-10-2009, 09:09 PM
With the White Sox new ad campaign; think they'd do:

"There are traditions, and then there are White Sox traditions"

Then show both Frank and Crede taking their first at-bats upon returning hitting a home run off of Sox pitching?

Even though the Sox play tonight is frustrating me, I had to laugh that Joe deposited that ball on the same line as he did his slam for the first Twin/Sox game of last season.

BigP50
04-10-2009, 10:56 PM
"Im all out of love, im so lost without you"

longtimesoxguy
04-10-2009, 11:41 PM
The video tribute before the game was very nice. "Thanks for 9 years and a World Championship". I get a feeling Joe is going to stick it up our a** this season.

FielderJones
04-10-2009, 11:43 PM
I get a feeling Joe is going to stick it up our a** this season.

By All Star Break, Joe's back is going to be talking to him again -- loudly.

fusillirob1983
04-10-2009, 11:48 PM
They showed him on the jumbotron right after the video tribute. It looked like he was kind of embarassed/blushing.

Then he stood up and took off his cap, so it was nice.

Do you think the Twins would trade him back to us for MacDougal straight up?

Frontman
04-11-2009, 07:07 AM
They showed him on the jumbotron right after the video tribute. It looked like he was kind of embarassed/blushing.

Then he stood up and took off his cap, so it was nice.

Do you think the Twins would trade him back to us for MacDougal straight up?

Oh sure. They might even include Mauer since they wouldn't feel it was fair market value.....:wink:

kevingrt
04-11-2009, 10:55 AM
Oh sure. They might even include Mauer since they wouldn't feel it was fair market value.....:wink:

Rather have Carlos Gomez.

RadioheadRocks
04-11-2009, 07:40 PM

... or blocking off his locker for that matter.

Thatguyoverthere
04-11-2009, 08:11 PM
Crede wasn't a great player by any means, but to say he only had a few good weeks at the end of 2005 is unfair. In 2006, he had arguably the second best season by a Major League 3B after ARod (offensively and defensively).

Frontman
04-12-2009, 07:18 AM
Crede wasn't a great player by any means, but to say he only had a few good weeks at the end of 2005 is unfair. In 2006, he had arguably the second best season by a Major League 3B after ARod (offensively and defensively).

He had a great post season in 2005 (and the weeks leading into it) and had a solid 2006. After that, we know, as the late Paul Harvey would put it; "The rest of the story."

I wish Joe well, and hope he finally gets a gold glove....

...I just want him to stink at the plate and at 3rd when playing the Sox!!!

Sam Spade
04-12-2009, 09:42 AM
I was happy that he got booed after hitting his homerun, unlike Frank who was cheered after his first one. Frank deserves more than fans can give him.

soltrain21
04-12-2009, 09:47 AM
He had a great post season in 2005 (and the weeks leading into it) and had a solid 2006. After that, we know, as the late Paul Harvey would put it; "The rest of the story."

I wish Joe well, and hope he finally gets a gold glove....

...I just want him to stink at the plate and at 3rd when playing the Sox!!!

I hope he stinks all the time, because that makes the Twins worse.

CMPDragRacing
04-13-2009, 03:11 AM
here some pics

side note, id like to give a big thumbs up :thumbsup::thumbsup: to A.J. for telling the two idiots in left field during the national anthem to take their hats off.

whitesox901
04-13-2009, 03:33 AM
saw the tribute video on youtube, very nice!

southside rocks
04-13-2009, 06:33 AM
The video tribute made me cry, seeing Joe in a Twinkies uniform just seems deeply wrong, and I think that the White Sox organization is more like a family than many other baseball organizations, and things like this and the Thomas return tribute show that.

And for the people in this thread who grumped about it, I hope someone someday appreciates you enough to make a gesture that shows it the way the Sox showed Joe with this. It's a good thing to do and I guarantee you it made Joe Crede feel good about the club that has up till now been his baseball "home."

I also loved it that Bobby Jenks blew a third strike past Crede with the bases full in the 9th inning yesterday. I was at the game and that was very satisfying.

chisoxfanatic
04-13-2009, 08:03 AM
I would say he sometimes was overlooked due to the injuries that plagued his last few years here. When he was on, he was just a couple levels short of Ventura on the field. He may not have always been there offensively (though he did have memorable clutch moments), but, he seemed to always come up with the big defensive play that saved at least a couple of runs. That can be just as important as getting a clutch hit.