PDA

View Full Version : DJ & Stoney switch?

awesomefan
04-09-2009, 11:00 AM
I missed any posts about why Steve Stone is replacing Darrin Jackson as TV announcer and that DJ is moved to replace Chris Singleton as radio announcer with Ed Farmer. Chris is now with MLBNetwork.

Wasn't Steve Stone with the Cubs for years?

I grew to like DJ with Hawk & liked it when Hawk called him "fiesty".

Steve Stone's voice is too monotoned.

SoxGirl4Life
04-09-2009, 11:00 AM
Have you been hibernating for the past 6 months?

johnnyg83
04-09-2009, 11:01 AM
I'm starting to question your "awesomefan" status.

guillen4life13
04-09-2009, 11:01 AM
This is a topic that has been discussed on the board pretty frequently for the last few months. :scratch:

oeo
04-09-2009, 11:02 AM
I missed any posts about why Steve Stone is replacing Darrin Jackson as TV announcer and that DJ is moved to replace Chris Singleton as radio announcer with Ed Farmer. Chris is now with MLBNetwork.

Actually, Stone replaced Singleton last year on radio, and Singleton went to ESPN. It was announced at the end of last year that Stone was going to be put in the TV booth, and DJ was offered the radio job, which he later accepted.

Rocky Soprano
04-09-2009, 11:02 AM
:?::scratch:

Wow, where have you been?

Stone is amazing and a HUGE improvement!

spiffie
04-09-2009, 11:03 AM

I have to agree with this. Hawk and DJ had a very unique chemistry that reminded me a bit of Batman and Robin. This is more like Batman and the Joker working together, after Stone's long tenure working for the Cubs. He just doesn't have that South Side feel to him.

As long as Hawk is there though it can't be too bad. I really cannot imagine watching games without him the booth, like that favorite uncle you always look forward to seeing at the holidays.

Thome25
04-09-2009, 11:05 AM
I even knew of the switch and I don't even get White Sox broadcasts on the radio or TV here in Maryland.

Jim Shorts
04-09-2009, 11:05 AM

Damn you. There is now coffee on my monitor.

Well played.

oeo
04-09-2009, 11:09 AM
I have to agree with this. Hawk and DJ had a very unique chemistry that reminded me a bit of Batman and Robin. This is more like Batman and the Joker working together, after Stone's long tenure working for the Cubs. He just doesn't have that South Side feel to him.

As long as Hawk is there though it can't be too bad. I really cannot imagine watching games without him the booth, like that favorite uncle you always look forward to seeing at the holidays.

Hawk is much better with Stone in the booth. DJ constantly kissed Hawk's ass, so we had to live with Hawk's skills going downhill. Stone will keep him in check.

I also love how Stone actually knows things about the other organizations, studies the pitchers quite well, etc. He knows his stuff.

C-Dawg
04-09-2009, 11:13 AM
No one was more confused this March than my mother, when she saw Hawk and Stone together doing a Cubs-Sox game. She was certain that Stoney would be back with the Cubs this year (she's a fan). Imagine her disappointment when she saw it was back to Casper and Brenly the other night in Houston!

LoveYourSuit
04-09-2009, 11:20 AM
Hawk is much better with Stone in the booth. DJ constantly kissed Hawk's ass, so we had to live with Hawk's skills going downhill. Stone will keep him in check.

I also love how Stone actually knows things about the other organizations, studies the pitchers quite well, etc. He knows his stuff.

Couldn't agree more.

The Sox telecasts had become fingers on a chalkboard the last few years, as dull a telcast as one can watch (especially when the Sox are down).

Stone brings a ton to the table.

The big test will be when the Twins and Carlos Gomez comes to town. Hawk will need a bib the size of a blanket.

Rocky Soprano
04-09-2009, 11:21 AM
Is Stone, Hawk's first partner that does not join him in his HR call?

Goose
04-09-2009, 11:22 AM

Agreed!

DJ was a buffoon, only to feed into Hawk's buffooniness. Stone keeps Hawk in check and makes watching the game with the sound on much more enjoyable.

Remarkably, I think DJ leaving Hawk's side has made him a better announcer.

Dibbs
04-09-2009, 11:25 AM
When times get bad, Hawk will not be as big a downer with Stone in the booth. The constant complaining about balls and strikes will diminish too.

Oblong
04-09-2009, 11:26 AM
How many games a year are on WGN? Didn't they cut back the last few years? I wish there were more because I really like Steve Stone as a broadcaster. I'd watch the Nationals play the Pirates if he were doing the game.

It was good to hear him last night. I flipped between the Sox and Tigers all night long.

oeo
04-09-2009, 11:30 AM
How many games a year are on WGN? Didn't they cut back the last few years? I wish there were more because I really like Steve Stone as a broadcaster. I'd watch the Nationals play the Pirates if he were doing the game.

It was good to hear him last night. I flipped between the Sox and Tigers all night long.

By my count, 28. Next one on Wednesday when they play the Tigers.

johnnyg83
04-09-2009, 11:30 AM
I don't know that there's a color guy I like more than Stoney.

Funny, well-informed, speaks from experience.

JermaineDye05
04-09-2009, 12:31 PM
Holy ****, you scared me. I thought you were saying they were switching back!

skobabe8
04-09-2009, 04:06 PM

You should change your username from "awesomefan" to

"nointernetformostoftheyearfan."

stockonline2
04-09-2009, 04:15 PM
Dude, what happened to our old stadium? I haven't heard anyone talking about getting a new one. Also, what's up with the 2005 World Champions banner? Did I miss something?

awesomefan
04-09-2009, 11:23 PM
No one really answered my question as to WHY DJ got demoted so to speak & what in the world brought Steve Stone to our side of town.

Did DJ really just want to do radio with Ed Farmer????...I love Farmio

Did Hawk want to get rid of DJ????...Did DJ want to get rid of Hawk????

I had my computer off for about 1 year too, but I do watch almost every White Sox game all season long....so I'm still an awesomefan of the Chicago White Sox. My house is overflowin' with White Sox stuff & I wear White Sox shirts everyday..even in off season. I wear Sox earrings & shoes everyday too. I have about 70 White Sox shirts just for 1 example & have gone to about 10 SoxFests...Sox license plate holders & Sox stickers in my car windows. Can you say White Soxoholic....that's me & proud of it.

kittle42
04-09-2009, 11:47 PM
No one really answered my question as to WHY DJ got demoted so to speak & what in the world brought Steve Stone to our side of town.

Because Steve Stone is an expert analyst, better than Jackson by leaps and bounds, and brings actual analysis to a television broadcast that was sorely lacking any. He was great on the radio last season, and is a welcome addition to TV.

pudge
04-10-2009, 04:36 AM

No, that was certainly not the case. From what little I know, DJ's contract was up, which opened an opportunity to have a far superior color man on TV, and DJ's only option to stay in Chicago was to move to radio. After considering it for a while, he decided to stay and take the demotion.

WSox597
04-10-2009, 07:05 AM
I notice Harrelson has started calling Stone, "Stone Pony".

No response yet from Steve Stone. Not sure if I expect one, other than silence.

Hawk, and his nicknames.

FarWestChicago
04-10-2009, 07:22 AM

I had my computer off for about 1 year too, but I do watch almost every White Sox game all season long....so I'm still an awesomefan of the Chicago White Sox. My house is overflowin' with White Sox stuff & I wear White Sox shirts everyday..even in off season. I wear Sox earrings & shoes everyday too. I have about 70 White Sox shirts just for 1 example & have gone to about 10 SoxFests...Sox license plate holders & Sox stickers in my car windows. Can you say White Soxoholic....that's me & proud of it.You don't have to justify yourself to the people who have been bashing you. :nod:

guillensdisciple
04-10-2009, 12:12 PM
I enjoy Stone as well, he has great insight on players and the game in general. On top of that, he has made some funny comments regarding the game, and makes the broadcast tolerable compared to Dj's sometimes prolonged conversation.

Jerko
04-10-2009, 12:16 PM

That's what I thought as well.

Metalthrasher442
04-10-2009, 12:49 PM
I listened to the game on the radio twice on the way home from school, which means already listening more than I used to. I have to say it was actually a nice broadcast.. it was good to hear DJs voice again.. he always sounds like he's in a good mood.

getonbckthr
04-10-2009, 12:53 PM

I had my computer off for about 1 year too, but I do watch almost every White Sox game all season long....so I'm still an awesomefan of the Chicago White Sox. My house is overflowin' with White Sox stuff & I wear White Sox shirts everyday..even in off season. I wear Sox earrings & shoes everyday too. I have about 70 White Sox shirts just for 1 example & have gone to about 10 SoxFests...Sox license plate holders & Sox stickers in my car windows. Can you say White Soxoholic....that's me & proud of it.
I don't know if this has anything to do with but last year the radio had 2 pitchers in the booth and TV had 2 hitters. Now radio and TV have 1 of each.

kobo
04-10-2009, 01:04 PM

Are you aware that Stone was on the radio with Farmer last year?

Frankfan4life
04-11-2009, 01:47 AM

As long as Hawk is there though it can't be too bad. I really cannot imagine watching games without him the booth, like that favorite uncle you always look forward to seeing at the holidays.I have to admit that I miss DJ chiming in on Hawk's home run calls. On special home runs like game-winning homers or grand slams, Hawk would stretch out the word "Board" so that DJ could join him with a demonstrative "Yesss!" I thought that was pretty cool. They often play one of the Hawk/DJ home run calls on MLB Network. So far "Stone Pony" has not been as accomodating even though Hawk gave him an opportunity to join him when Thome hit the game-winning homer on opening day. After streching out the word "Board" if felt kind of weird, almost sad, just hearing Hawk saying "Yes" alone.

fusillirob1983
04-11-2009, 02:12 AM
I notice Harrelson has started calling Stone, "Stone Pony".

No response yet from Steve Stone. Not sure if I expect one, other than silence.

Hawk, and his nicknames.

Hawk didn't invent that nickname for him.

Frater Perdurabo
04-11-2009, 06:55 AM
I don't know if this has anything to do with but last year the radio had 2 pitchers in the booth and TV had 2 hitters. Now radio and TV have 1 of each.

That aspect improves both booths, as both tandems can describe the nuances of both sides of each individual hitter-pitcher matchup.

Obviously Stone is a better analyst than Jackson, but Jackson is not bad on the radio. In fact, Jackson is better with Farmer than he is with Hawk, because he's not intimidated by Farmer (like he was with Hawk) and he doesn't suck up to Farmer (like he did with Hawk).

cards press box
04-11-2009, 09:22 AM
That aspect improves both booths, as both tandems can describe the nuances of both sides of each individual hitter-pitcher matchup.

Obviously Stone is a better analyst than Jackson, but Jackson is not bad on the radio. In fact, Jackson is better with Farmer than he is with Hawk, because he's not intimidated by Farmer (like he was with Hawk) and he doesn't suck up to Farmer (like he did with Hawk).

And DJ does play-by-play quite well. Farmer is a good analyst, brings a genuine South Side presence to the broadcasts and can do play-by-play but is better with a partner who can share play-by-play duties. DJ can do that.

I haven't listened to any radio broadcasts yet but I hope that DJ and Farmer split the play-by-play.

LongLiveFisk
04-11-2009, 09:37 AM

Me too. I damn near had a heart attack! :lol:

Seriously, awesomefan is good people. She may not post here a lot but was always a chatroom regular during the games. Be nice. :smile:

Noneck
04-11-2009, 09:45 AM
It seems as tho Stone is starting to hang Harrelson out to dry when he does his predictions, moaning and excuse analysis. Jackson tried to justify Harrelsons nonsense, Stone wont. This may be very interesting.

kitekrazy
04-11-2009, 11:34 AM
I'm starting to like DJ on the radio. I think Hawk may bring the worst out of announcers.

Frater Perdurabo
04-11-2009, 02:05 PM
It seems as tho Stone is starting to hang Harrelson out to dry when he does his predictions, moaning and excuse analysis. Jackson tried to justify Harrelsons nonsense, Stone wont. This may be very interesting.

Sometimes tension and awkward silence is OK on TV. At least we still have a picture to see what's happening.

sunofgold
04-16-2009, 09:05 PM
Farmer and DJ sound good. I give kudos to Farmer. It seems like he has a new partner every year. If he has any complaints with the switches, I wouldn't know by listening to the broadcast. Very professional job by Farmer.

DJ has a decent voice for radio and has good analysis (not as good as Stone) and sense of humor.

DJ and Farmer seem to be getting well enough.

NLaloosh
04-16-2009, 09:27 PM

This just in: Elvis Presley has passed away.

FielderJones
04-16-2009, 09:33 PM
Hawk didn't invent that nickname for him.

Steve Dahl did, if I'm not mistaken.

EuroSox35
04-16-2009, 09:36 PM
DJ is great on the radio. You can tell he's being himself and that he was hiding that/restrained with Hawk. Farmer can be annoying but he's passable imo. I think the switch was a great move

soxinem1
04-16-2009, 10:11 PM

Really can't sum it up any better than that...:thumbsup:

kevingrt
04-16-2009, 10:41 PM
DJ is great on the radio. You can tell he's being himself and that he was hiding that/restrained with Hawk. Farmer can be annoying but he's passable imo. I think the switch was a great move

Completely agree. I have listened to the radio the past three games and DJ and Farmio are just flat out great. DJ sounds excellent and is really spewing baseball knowledge that I have never heard from him. And Farmer isn't being a douche like he was to Singleton for sometime. Both pairings are great and hopefully there is no change in the short-term future. Right now I can turn on the radio or TV and have no complaints whatsoever.

Walker29
04-17-2009, 06:46 PM
For the record, I got a little confused on Wednesday, I was watching the game without sound but with closed captioning and "Ken" and "Darrin" are still used as the names of the announcers. I think it was DirectTV but not sure. I am overall happy with the current pairings...though I do miss Rooney.