PDA

View Full Version : Bullpen so far: 6 IP, 2 baserunners, 9 Ks, 0 runs

White City
04-09-2009, 09:01 AM
MacDougal has to pitch sooner or later, but man, you have to love the bullpen through two.

The 3.00 ERA among the starting pitchers isn't too shabby, either.

Defense in the field has been serviceable.

Now about that offense ...

oeo
04-09-2009, 09:03 AM
Best bullpen ever???

Seriously, it's two games. We've run into some good pitching, and maybe some bad hitting. Let's not jump to any conclusions on either side of the ball.

White City
04-09-2009, 09:11 AM
Of course it's just two games. I didn't ascribe any significance to the results so far, did I?

I just think it it worth noting, without getting too excited about it, that the five bullpen pitchers that we will rely on the most in close games (with DJ doing long relief and Mac doing garbage time) were solid in their first appearances.

I will say this -- that MAY be a minor cause for optimism going into three straight starts by Danks, Contreras and Colon, who might only pitch 16 innings between them.

Lundind1
04-09-2009, 09:11 AM
Linebrink looked even more dominant last night than he did in previous years with the Sox and other teams. 3K's and 13 pitches thrown. That is about 1.33 balls per 3 strike thrown. That is a nice ratio. It was just some filthy stuff.

Matt Thornton looks like he could have a career year. He only threw 10 pitches and got 1 strikeout, the other assist that he had was on a soft comebacker. He looks great.

Dotel looked really sharp too. But Clayton Richard came in and retired a bunch of batters in a row also.

I don't think that McDougal is going to be as bad as everyone thinks he is. Yeah I know, I sat through a bunch of crap last year, even yelled triple A at him during the makeup game that he blew against the O's last year. I just think we should wait and see. He did go 0-1 with a a 3.86 Era and 22 strikeouts in 13 games this spring. And while those aren't electric numbers, they sure aren't that bad.....I have seen worse on this team.

asindc
04-09-2009, 09:16 AM
MacDougal has to pitch sooner or later, but man, you have to love the bullpen through two.

The 3.00 ERA among the starting pitchers isn't too shabby, either.

Defense in the field has been serviceable.

Now about that offense ...

Well, considering that they went against Greinke last night, I see no need for concern yet.

I also think MacDougal will be better this year, and it will make a difference in the entire bullpen. If he is effective, both Dotel and Linebrink can be called upon on fewer occasions, which will help the Sox in August and September.

Chez
04-09-2009, 10:05 AM
Sox bullpen is the deepest in the division -- possibly in the entire league. I think it's a major factor that has been overlooked by all the so-called experts who have pegged this team to finish 3d or 4th in the Central. If they stay healthy, the bullpen will keep us in the race till the end.

Jim Shorts
04-09-2009, 10:27 AM
Jim begins to knock on some wood...

doublem23
04-09-2009, 10:30 AM
If Richard's performance on Opening Day is a preview of how he will pitch all year and not just a fluke, wow, this bullpen is very, very deep.

Now we just need the bats to wake up. I really don't want to awaken the Fire Walker chants again.

Lundind1
04-09-2009, 10:31 AM
Sox bullpen is the deepest in the division -- possibly in the entire league. I think it's a major factor that has been overlooked by all the so-called experts who have pegged this team to finish 3d or 4th in the Central. If they stay healthy, the bullpen will keep us in the race till the end.

We do need some runs. But that will come in due time. As long as the innings stay higher for the starters and lower for the BP, I am fine with the situation in there.

oeo
04-09-2009, 10:33 AM
Now we just need the bats to wake up. I really don't want to awaken the Fire Walker chants again.

He should have been fired two years ago. :duck:

Lundind1
04-09-2009, 10:34 AM
If Richard's performance on Opening Day is a preview of how he will pitch all year and not just a fluke, wow, this bullpen is very, very deep.

As a Sox fan, it is almost devine right to begin that conversation every month of April. The only difference is from last 3 years to now is that guys are making great contact with the ball but making outs on liners and great plays. I remember some team in 05 that started out that way, lots of hangwifems'.

Lundind1
04-09-2009, 10:36 AM
He should have been fired two years ago. :duck:

The problem with that idea is these are major leaguers. They can handle themselves. I understand your point but there is only so much that Walk can do. He does work with the guys on a regular basis but nobody complains when we win, only when a pitcher uncorks a really well pitched ballgame.

oeo
04-09-2009, 10:39 AM
The problem with that idea is these are major leaguers. They can handle themselves. I understand your point but there is only so much that Walk can do. He does work with the guys on a regular basis but nobody complains when we win, only when a pitcher uncorks a really well pitched ballgame.

I still think Walker gets lazy. While their approach looks good right now, it's only a matter of time before they start swinging for the fences like usual. It's almost like every time it needs to be stressed that they shouldn't be swinging for homeruns, they take a good approach and hit the hell out of the ball. Case in point: every time they go to Comerica. I seriously wish they played in Comerica 81 games a year, because they're never looking for the long ball there. They're always looking to hit those spacious gaps, and they usually kick Tigers ass because of it. Of course the Cell is a small park, but I'd still rather they look for base hits...this is a powerful lineup and when it warms up, the homeruns will come almost by accident.

beasly213
04-09-2009, 10:44 AM
Linebrink looked even more dominant last night than he did in previous years with the Sox and other teams. 3K's and 13 pitches thrown. That is about 1.33 balls per 3 strike thrown. That is a nice ratio. It was just some filthy stuff.

Matt Thornton looks like he could have a career year. He only threw 10 pitches and got 1 strikeout, the other assist that he had was on a soft comebacker. He looks great.

Dotel looked really sharp too. But Clayton Richard came in and retired a bunch of batters in a row also.

I don't think that McDougal is going to be as bad as everyone thinks he is. Yeah I know, I sat through a bunch of crap last year, even yelled triple A at him during the makeup game that he blew against the O's last year. I just think we should wait and see. He did go 0-1 with a a 3.86 Era and 22 strikeouts in 13 games this spring. And while those aren't electric numbers, they sure aren't that bad.....I have seen worse on this team.

Yes he will be. The problem though is the White Sox for some reason agree with you.

oeo
04-09-2009, 10:45 AM
Yes he will be. The problem though is the White Sox for some reason agree with you.

MacDougal is the last guy out of the pen, and is a better option than Russell/Wassermann. :dunno:

Wassermann loves to serve up meatballs, and Russell is essentially MacDougal with a smaller contract and worse stuff.

twsoxfan5
04-09-2009, 10:45 AM
Best bullpen ever???

Hahaha I thought the exact same thing when I saw this thread.

Lundind1
04-09-2009, 10:46 AM
I still think Walker gets lazy. While their approach looks good right now, it's only a matter of time before they start swinging for the fences like usual. It's almost like every time it needs to be stressed that they shouldn't be swinging for homeruns, they take a good approach and hit the hell out of the ball. Case in point: every time they go to Comerica. I seriously wish they played in Comerica 81 games a year, because they're never looking for the long ball there. They're always looking to hit those spacious gaps, and they usually kick Tigers ass because of it. Of course the Cell is a small park, but I'd still rather they look for base hits...this is a powerful lineup and when it warms up, the homeruns will come almost by accident.

From my vantage point last night, the Sox were trying to get base hits. It was just a matter that Greinke was dealing last night. He would throw a curve at 74-76, a fastball with awesome movement at 94, and then a change that just got everyone off kilter. This is the same pitcher who, early in the season, almost no hit the Red Sox...if you would like to make a comparison to how good someone's stuff is.

This is a much different team than in the past. I think that we need to take some time and let these things work out.

I'd say, if we get to Mid-May and this is still going on, then all hell should break loose.

oeo
04-09-2009, 10:49 AM
From my vantage point last night, the Sox were trying to get base hits.

I've already said this...

I said that they're eventually going to fall into the same trap they usually do. And it will be nice for a few days, when they hit like 15 homeruns in 3 games. However, then they will be nonexistent for a few weeks, Walker will feel pressure, and then finally do something about it. We see it every year, it's why this offense is so hot and cold.

Lundind1
04-09-2009, 10:49 AM

Problem is, he will have an ugly game after 2-3 decent outings. People are going to focus on that one. It could be worse: we had Marmol for our closer, lol.

Let me know what other options the Sox have that are realistically viable? I don't see too many other options right now.

Lundind1
04-09-2009, 10:51 AM
I've already said this...

I said that they're eventually going to fall into the same trap they usually do. And it will be nice for a few days, when they hit like 15 homeruns in 3 games. However, then they will be nonexistent for a few weeks, Walker will feel pressure, and then finally do something about it. We see it every year, it's why this offense is so hot and cold.

I think it is the players problem, not Walk. If they can't hit trashball pitching, then it is over. Walker can only suggest what to do, but Paulie, Dye, and Thome hit fastball or straight change....only.

guillensdisciple
04-09-2009, 11:30 AM
To me, the Bullpen has been the brightest spot for the White Sox so far. If this continues, which it can, this team will be in contention all year.

whitesox901
04-10-2009, 03:24 AM
Jenks gave up the 2-run shot today, I was hoping we could of been like San Diego a couple of years ago and go a month without the pen giving up a run

White City
04-10-2009, 02:45 PM
Jenks gave up the 2-run shot today, I was hoping we could of been like San Diego a couple of years ago and go a month without the pen giving up a run

Who would have guessed Big Bad Bobby would be the first one to give up runs? Of course, that's only because Ozzie rescued Mac from himself before any damage was done.

Despite yesterday's blip by Jenks, you have to be pleased with Thornton and Dotel so far, and optimistic about Richard and Linebrink. Hopefully the bullpen will be worth at least a win this weekend against the Twinks.

CashMan
04-10-2009, 02:58 PM

I really think after that NY game last year, really helped him out. I do not think he is a fluke, and although I wanted him to start, if he is going to pitch like he did opening day, have him come out of the pen then.