PDA

View Full Version : How do you like the new broadcasting combos?

guillen4life13
04-09-2009, 01:00 AM
I haven't been able to see more than two innings of each game with sound so far, so my sample isn't as much as many of you.

How do you guys like the broadcasting combos? I've gotten the TV feed on the mlb.tv premium setup and, since my computer audio is busted unless I plug in speakers, and I use a laptop where my speakers are generally not in the vicinity, I couldn't hear anything for most of the games.

oeo
04-09-2009, 01:04 AM
I haven't heard Farmer and DJ, but Hawk and Stoney are great together. They work well together, and Stoney seems to be keeping Hawk in check...he sounds the best he has in 3 or 4 years

Domeshot17
04-09-2009, 01:17 AM
Stone makes Hawk Tolerable

Hawk limits all the poor attempts at being funny Stone throws out there

they are great together.

BainesHOF
04-09-2009, 01:27 AM
Hawk and Stone have been great together. They're elevating each other.

I'd like to see them improve a couple things, however.

One, Hawk really needs to limit his 40-year-old stories. It took him just five innings this season to make his first Yaz reference. I don't mind the old references, but they have to be a mix from all eras to make them tolerable. Otherwise he sounds like just an old man talking about his glory days.

Two, Stone needs to talk less, especially when a dramatic part of the game is happening. Sometimes all you have to do is let what's being shown on TV do the talking. To his credit, Hawk understands this. In the opener, Stone was stepping on the dramatic silence and undercutting the moment.

That said, I'm sure they'll get better. It's a tribute to both that they're this good together so early in their pairing.

KnightSox
04-09-2009, 01:30 AM
D.J is better on the radio, if that is possible.

chisoxfanatic
04-09-2009, 01:30 AM
I never listen to the radio unless I'm in the car; but, Hawk & Stone sounded good when I watched yesterday's game.

I didn't watch today's game since the Hawks were on. Did Hawk have a bunch of "silent" moments since the game didn't look like it had anything going for it, or did Stone disallow that to happen?

GoGoCrede
04-09-2009, 04:27 AM
I love Farmer and DJ. Stone and Hawk are great too. What I really appreciate from all of them is that I can't hear any of them breathing into the mic. I am watching all the games on MLB.tv and it drives me insane when I'm watching other games and I hear the broadcaster breathing.

grv1974
04-09-2009, 05:10 AM
Hawk and Stone have been great together. They're elevating each other.

I'd like to see them improve a couple things, however.

One, Hawk really needs to limit his 40-year-old stories. It took him just five innings this season to make his first Yaz reference. I don't mind the old references, but they have to be a mix from all eras to make them tolerable. Otherwise he sounds like just an old man talking about his glory days.

Two, Stone needs to talk less, especially when a dramatic part of the game is happening. Sometimes all you have to do is let what's being shown on TV do the talking. To his credit, Hawk understands this. In the opener, Stone was stepping on the dramatic silence and undercutting the moment.

That said, I'm sure they'll get better. It's a tribute to both that they're this good together so early in their pairing.

LOL........Exactly. I'm waiting for his ramblings about his idol, Al Kaline.

grv1974
04-09-2009, 05:14 AM

He's probably more relaxed because he doesn't have to deal with Hawk anymore. :D: He always seemed to be having more fun when doing the Saturday FOX games.

kba
04-09-2009, 08:18 AM
Hawk does sound better with Stone in the booth. When Gordon hit the HR in Tuesday's game, Hawk actually said something as the ball went over the wall. In past years, Hawk would just clam up when an opposing player hit a home run, and we'd listen to about a minute of stoic silence.

DJ sounds OK on the radio, although he still stumbles his way through every promo he has to read, which seems even more annoying on radio than it did on TV. And last night, Farmer and DJ had two guests in the booth - a woman's soccer player for a half inning and Moose Skowron for an inning - and they forgot all about doing play by play. If you didn't hear the crowd in the background, you wouldn't have known there was a game going on.

kevingrt
04-09-2009, 08:38 AM

Completely agree. I listened to them a couple innings yesterday and booth Farmio and DJ were very solid. I was pleasantly surprised when I turn on the broadcast and actually enjoyed it quite a bit (minus the losing part). They fed off each other well and it is always nice to have a pitcher/hitter combo on radio because you can only listen to so much pitching when Farmio and Stoney were on the radio mic.

mrfourni
04-09-2009, 09:13 AM
Hawk does sound better with Stone in the booth. When Gordon hit the HR in Tuesday's game, Hawk actually said something as the ball went over the wall. In past years, Hawk would just clam up when an opposing player hit a home run, and we'd listen to about a minute of stoic silence.

DJ sounds OK on the radio, although he still stumbles his way through every promo he has to read, which seems even more annoying on radio than it did on TV. And last night, Farmer and DJ had two guests in the booth - a woman's soccer player for a half inning and Moose Skowron for an inning - and they forgot all about doing play by play. If you didn't hear the crowd in the background, you wouldn't have known there was a game going on.

I was in my car for 10 minutes during the Moose Skowron interview and I thought it was pretty good. If I remember, there was nobody on base and the Royals struck out the side, so there wasn't much pbp going on in the first place.

Jurr
04-09-2009, 12:23 PM
I think Stone is hilarious. Yesterday's talk about Alex Gordon was priceless.

Hawk: How would you pitch him right here, Stone Pony?
Stone: I wouldn't pitch to him, Hawk.
Hawk: If you were going to pitch, though?
Stone: I would hit him with the first pitch, let Olivo come up, throw three curve balls, and be out of the inning.
Hawk: (says something about pitching around Gordon)
Stone: The problem with pitching around the guy is that you waste pitches. Hit him and move on. One pitch.

kaufsox
04-09-2009, 01:41 PM
Completely agree. I listened to them a couple innings yesterday and booth Farmio and DJ were very solid. I was pleasantly surprised when I turn on the broadcast and actually enjoyed it quite a bit (minus the losing part). They fed off each other well and it is always nice to have a pitcher/hitter combo on radio because you can only listen to so much pitching when Farmio and Stoney were on the radio mic.

are you scotish? :D:

BRDSR
04-09-2009, 02:01 PM
It took him just five innings this season to make his first Yaz reference.

Speaking of obnoxious Hawk habits, does anyone ever wonder how Hawk has time to get to know all these young players? Hawk went on and on last night about how he's known Greinke for years and how he watched Greinke pitch in high school, etc., etc. Greinke's 25 years old. Hawk has been doing 162 White Sox broadcasts a year since Greinke was in diapers (with short stints elsewhere, as well). When did he have time to get down Apopka High School and catch young Zach's starts? And this isn't the only young player Hawk claims to have known forever.

That said, I agree with the general consensus that both Hawk and Stone are made better by each other and that the television broadcasts are great. Stone may be one of the few people that have survived the Cubs organization and managed to remain talented upon leaving.

PatK
04-09-2009, 04:43 PM
He's probably more relaxed because he doesn't have to deal with Hawk anymore. :D: He always seemed to be having more fun when doing the Saturday FOX games.

I agree.

DJ was a much better announcer on FOX than he was when he was with Hawk. You could tell the chemistry wasn't there.

soxrme
04-09-2009, 04:48 PM
Stone and Hawk are fine. I cannot stand Farmer, I do like DJ though

Madscout
04-09-2009, 05:08 PM

Stone: I would hit him with the first pitch, let Olivo come up, throw three curve balls, and be out of the inning.
Stone: The problem with pitching around the guy is that you waste pitches. Hit him and move on. One pitch.
I loved that too. I couldn't believe what I was hearing.

AZChiSoxFan
04-09-2009, 05:26 PM

I liked that exchange. Along with the story that followed about the pitcher for the Dodgers, who had a clause in his contract that paid him a bonus if he walked less than X number of batters in a season. Every time the guy went 3-0 on a batter, he would just drill him. Classic.

slavko
04-09-2009, 07:04 PM

He's talking more, he's making sense. I like it. Stone may be going through a period of adjusting from radio to TV, where he needs to say less. Besides, a hitter and a pitcher complement each other better than two of either.