PDA

View Full Version : leadoff options

Demps2
04-09-2009, 12:13 AM
I listed to the postgame show, and lots of complaints were made. But how many in-house options really are there right now? Since we are so early in the season, it is near impossible to make trades. They said Lillibridge can play CF and leadoff (probably better than Wise). Getz could as well. Ramirez is too much of a free-swinger. And BA is a serviceable major league hitter. I think KW put too many eggs in the Jerry Owens basket in the offseason.

lizard6king6
04-09-2009, 01:11 AM
Agreed about Owens, Wise is just horrible. Getz is our quickest and best option leading of I think but thats not saying much.

forrestg
04-09-2009, 04:07 AM
lillibridge from what I saw in spring training was horrible at the plate while being a little less than adequate playing defense at either second or center. Maybe Nix can lead off he can at least hit the ball.

seventyseven
04-09-2009, 09:49 AM
Bat Getz first and Fields second.

Getz
Fields
Quentin
Thome
Dye
Konerko
AJP
Ramirez
(whoever is playing CF)

oeo
04-09-2009, 09:59 AM
lillibridge from what I saw in spring training was horrible at the plate while being a little less than adequate playing defense at either second or center. Maybe Nix can lead off he can at least hit the ball.

Where is Nix going to play? :?:

kittle42
04-09-2009, 10:02 AM
I don't think anyone is a real option right now. There are probably better options than Wise (one would hope), but no one we saw in ST or now is clearly "the" answer.

FoulTerritory
04-09-2009, 10:03 AM
Bat Getz first and Fields second.

Getz
Fields
Quentin
Thome
Dye
Konerko
AJP
Ramirez
(whoever is playing CF)

Yes, of course this is the best option. Fields can bunt, and hitting second would help control his urge to swing for the fences. Come on Ozzie, this lineup is writing itself.

Marqhead
04-09-2009, 10:03 AM
I would like to believe the best option will eventually be Getz, hopefully by earning the job rather than being relegated to it due to other failures. I'm in favor of keeping Wise/BA in the leadoff spot with Getz second until that point comes.

asindc
04-09-2009, 10:13 AM
I would like to believe the best option will eventually be Getz, hopefully by earning the job rather than being relegated to it due to other failures. I'm in favor of keeping Wise/BA in the leadoff spot with Getz second until that point comes.

I think this is the strategy for this season, not necessarily beyond it. I agree that Getz will most likely end up leading off this year. I think the only reason he is not doing it now is that Ozzie wants him to ease into the role, rather than throwing him into the deep end. I take it that Ozzie is basing this on Getz's mental makeup. Whatever the reason, I don't think Wise will finish the year as the leadoff, unless he starts hitting above .300 and stays there (not gonna happen, IMO).

FoulTerritory
04-09-2009, 10:14 AM

But Wise/BA haven't earned it either. Might as well go with the guy who will take a walk and steal a base.

I mean, I would go as far to say that Wise and BA have proven that they aren't leadoff guys. They are notoriously low OBP guys. They have a track record.

Marqhead
04-09-2009, 10:16 AM
I think this is the strategy for this season, not necessarily beyond it. I agree that Getz will most likely end up leading off this year. I think the only reason he is not doing it now is that Ozzie wants him to ease into the role, rather than throwing him into the deep end. I take it that Ozzie is basing this on Getz's mental makeup. Whatever the reason, I don't think Wise will finish the year as the leadoff, unless he starts hitting above .300 and stays there (not gonna happen, IMO).

Agreed, no need to thrust him into the mix early and put unneccessary pressure on him.

But Wise/BA haven't earned it either. Might as well go with the guy who will take a walk and steal a base.

They haven't, but in my opinion (and this is strictly my opinion) I see Getz having a larger role in our future than Wise/BA combined - including beyond this season. Try Wise/BA there to start, let Getz get warmed up and used to big league pitching, and then give him a shot at leading of and move who ever is in center to the bottom of the order.

sox1970
04-09-2009, 10:20 AM
Getz is leading off today. Pierzynski 2nd. Wise is batting 8th.

doublem23
04-09-2009, 10:24 AM

Source?

N/M: http://whitesoxpride.mlblogs.com/archives/2009/04/lineup_game_3.html

oeo
04-09-2009, 10:24 AM
Source?

Reifert's blog:
Getz 4, AJ 2, Q 7, Thome dh, Dye 9, PK 3, Ramirez 6, Wise 8, Fields 5

Jim Shorts
04-09-2009, 10:25 AM

Where did you find this nugget?

doublem23
04-09-2009, 10:25 AM
Reifert's blog:

I should have known to check Reifert's blog. :dunce:

sox1970
04-09-2009, 10:26 AM
I saw it on the Tribune Hardball blog.

Lundind1
04-09-2009, 10:26 AM
Where is Nix going to play? :?:
He is still hurt with that strained quad. He will be out for a few more weeks at least.

oeo
04-09-2009, 10:27 AM
He is still hurt with that strained quad. He will be out for a few more weeks at least.

I know, but that doesn't answer my question.

Lundind1
04-09-2009, 10:37 AM
I know, but that doesn't answer my question.

That right now might be the million dollar question. I don't know where he would go other than a utility role or AAA.

kittle42
04-09-2009, 11:10 AM
Reifert's blog:

Well, that didn't take long. I love when Ozzie goes on a rant in the paper basically telling people to **** off and then does what they were clamoring for anyway.