PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Well it's hard to go undefeated 4/8 Postgame thread

Sockinchisox
04-08-2009, 09:35 PM
Greinke was filthy tonight, get em tomorrow.

Viva Medias B's
Okay, we lost tonight. Just didn't hit tonight. Let's just get 'em tomorrow boys and girls.

Frater Perdurabo
At least JD had two hits.

Win the series tomorrow.

DaveFeelsRight
04-08-2009, 09:37 PM
not worried. first loss of the season. just means we have to go 161-1 instead of 162-0 :tongue:

ShoelessJoeS
Well...ya can't win 'em all, right?

oeo
Just too much Zack Greinke. If the Royals had anyone worth a damn at the bottom of their rotation, they'd be pretty good.

thomas35forever
There's gonna be nights like this. Pitching was great on both sides, but we just got the short end of it. Forget about it. Win tomorrow and take the series.

JermaineDye05
I would say this was more of a "great pitching by Zack Greinke" game, than a "missed opportunities" game. Greinke was just locked in.

Good news, Gavin looked good and Carlos looked good at the plate. Fields looks good at 3rd.

doublem23
Considering Greinke's career stats at the Cell.. Tonight was pretty disapointing.

SoxGirl4Life
04-08-2009, 09:38 PM
lol.. I had to laugh at the title of the thread.

Still good to have them back. Bullpen looks good and Gavin wasn't bad. 2 runs? I'll take my chances with that.

JB98
I would say this was more of a "great pitching by Zack Greinke" game, than a "missed opportunities" game. Greinke was just locked in.

Good news, Gavin looked good and Carlos looked good at the plate. Fields looks good at 3rd.

Agreed. The second inning was the only scoring chance.

Let's bounce back tomorrow afternoon.

Blueprint1
We were just not hitting tonight. Hopefully, the offence starts to string some hits together in the next few games.

getonbckthr
I believe 1-4 went 0 for the night. You ain't gonna win many ball games when that happens.

CLR01
Still .500 :shrug:

BoysMom3
Let's do it tomorrow!

EuroSox35
04-08-2009, 09:39 PM
Station to station HR or nothing offense, it's not pretty. I really wish Kenny traded one of the guy's in our middle of the order logjam, I would've sacrificed some power for some flexibility or a little more speed

I don't really have to say anything about Wise tonight, his performance spoke for itself

Props to the excellent pitching, Gavin got hosed tonight

Marqhead
04-08-2009, 09:39 PM
Gavin was solid, so was the pen.

At least there is something to take away from this game.

johnnyg83
04-08-2009, 09:40 PM
Danks matches up pretty well with them tomorrow. IIRC.

captainclutch24
aulie sucked, wise sucked, those waiting for a walk after starting 2-0 pissed me off. That third pitch should have been crushed

SoxGirl4Life

How could I forget Josh? He looked great at 3rd

oeo
Station to station HR or nothing offense, it's not pretty. I really wish Kenny traded one of the guy's in our middle of the order logjam, I would've sacrificed some power for some flexibility or a little more speed

You have to get guys on for this to even be an excuse. Give credit where credit is due: Greinke was filthy. He's pretty good, luckily we don't have to hit against him everyday.

KnightSox
04-08-2009, 09:41 PM
We just could not get anything going off of Greinke, we'll break out tomorrow.

johnnyg83
Ah-choo!

Tragg
The pitching's been fantastic.
Let's just hope we don't play offensive like we did in 07.

Blueprint1
We have guys with speed on this team. If none of the guys with speed get on base its not the guys in the middle of the lineups fault. Every team has a few slow guys in the middle of the order.

Jjav829
Considering Greinke's career stats at the Cell.. Tonight was pretty disapointing.

Yeah, but those numbers aren't really indicative of Greinke's capabilities, or his performance the past two years.

What can you say, he pitched a good game. Go get Davies tomorrow.

Domeshot17
04-08-2009, 09:42 PM
Gotta get Wise or Anderson going. Getz isn't going to be fully utlized in the 2 hole until he has a guy in front of him on base. The biggest/best part of his game is bat control, moving guys along, hitting and running.

Also need Carlos to start hitting. This is why I wanted him in the WBC, getting real time at bats in a more real game. Its going to take a while for him to get his timing back, let alone he doesn't have a "sophomore" slump (well soph in the way of it really being his 2nd full year)

getonbckthr
aulie sucked, wise sucked, those waiting for a walk after starting 2-0 pissed me off. That third pitch should have been crushed
That might have been more them knowing Grienke had his good stuff so they were trying to get his pitch count high.

DirtySox
I absolutely hate when our guy pitches a gem, and we can't back him up with some runs.

I expect mucho compensation for Danks tomorrow.

oeo
04-08-2009, 09:43 PM
Gotta get Wise or Anderson going. Getz isn't going to be fully utlized in the 2 hole until he has a guy in front of him on base. The biggest/best part of his game is bat control, moving guys along, hitting and running.

Also need Carlos to start hitting. This is why I wanted him in the WBC, getting real time at bats in a more real game. Its going to take a while for him to get his timing back, let alone he doesn't have a "sophomore" slump (well soph in the way of it really being his 2nd full year)

Carlos looked a lot better in his last two AB's. I think Greinke woke him up.

Woofer
04-08-2009, 09:43 PM
Everything will be fine if we get some damn runs tomorrow. The Sox are a warm weather team in a cold weather town.

Boondock Saint
04-08-2009, 09:44 PM
The negative: Tip my cap to KC's pitching, but this offense putting up 3 hits is never excusable. Also, Wise leading off (I won't go into detail, it's already been beaten to death).

The positive: Gavin mimicking Buehrle's gutsy performance from yesterday, and Thornton/Linebrink looking awesome.

Tomorrow's a new day and KC is out of quality starters. We'll get them then.

It's Dankerific
04-08-2009, 09:45 PM
Gavin deserves better.

oeo
04-08-2009, 09:46 PM
The negative: Tip my cap to KC's pitching, but this offense putting up 3 hits is never excusable.

^ Makes no sense.

Gavin
04-08-2009, 09:46 PM
Just gotta win 2 out of 3, over and over and over again.

That's how I'd coach the team...

Boondock Saint
04-08-2009, 09:51 PM
^ Makes no sense.

Sure it does. Our hitters are better than going 3 for 30-something. Grienke was good, but at some point you have to expect our veteran hitters to make adjustments.

JermaineDye05
04-08-2009, 09:53 PM
Argh, Gavin got snubbed on BBTN in the highlights. They just focused on Greinke, I guess it makes sense since he won. However I thought they'd show a little more and show the duel. Oh well, maybe he'll make it on "That's Nasty"

thomas35forever
04-08-2009, 09:55 PM
Argh, Gavin got snubbed on BBTN in the highlights. They just focused on Greinke, I guess it makes sense since he won. However I thought they'd show a little more and show the duel. Oh well, maybe he'll make it on "That's Nasty"
Fields better be on the Web Gems tonight.

mccoydp
04-08-2009, 09:57 PM
Well, that game was a big plate of suck, served cold. Gavin was good, but Greinke was better. Go get them tomorrow, fellas.

ramblinsoxfan11
04-08-2009, 09:58 PM
It's a shame whenever Floyd or any of the Sox pitchers throw a great game but have no offense to help them out, however 7 innings with 9 K's and only giving up 2 runs is a great way to start the season. We'll get 'em next time!

guillensdisciple
04-08-2009, 10:04 PM
What is there to say? The hitting reminded me of the previous year, but I am really encouraged by our pitching. I believe that this team will be better hitting- wise because of Getz and Fields. The lead off problem will resolve itself.

160 more games to go, nothing to get into a funk about yet. Let's take the series guys.

Go White Sox!

manders_01
04-08-2009, 10:05 PM
Tonight was my opening day for the Sox. Wish the outcome was different but can't complain that I got to come home and watch baseball! :thumbsup:

Goose
04-08-2009, 10:06 PM
Gavin should have batted lead off tonight. I think we would have better results.

oeo
04-08-2009, 10:08 PM
Sure it does. Our hitters are better than going 3 for 30-something. Grienke was good, but at some point you have to expect our veteran hitters to make adjustments.

Your expectations are way too high. Sometimes you just get beat by a good pitcher. They actually did a good job getting him out of there early, he only pitched 6+. Then they ran into two good relievers.

The problem with the Royals is going to be the rest of their rotation, which is not only going to suck, it's going to kill their bullpen. Otherwise, they're a pretty good team for once.

Gavin should have batted lead off tonight. I think we would have better results.

These jokes seriously suck.

Goose
04-08-2009, 10:09 PM
These jokes seriously suck.

What makes you think I was joking?

kittle42
04-08-2009, 10:12 PM
If Ozzie insists on putting our crap CFs and a rookie in the 1-2 spots, it will cost this team several games over the course of the season. Those guys get more ABs than anyone on the team. Alexei/AJ would make more sense.

Hartman
04-08-2009, 10:13 PM
What is there to say? The hitting reminded me of the previous year, but I am really encouraged by our pitching. I believe that this team will be better hitting- wise because of Getz and Fields. The lead off problem will resolve itself.

160 more games to go, nothing to get into a funk about yet. Let's take the series guys.

Go White Sox!

This pretty much sums it up for me.

sox1970
04-08-2009, 10:14 PM
Not much they could do tonight. Just one note--next time Greinke starts, sit Paulie and play Betemit.

RedPinStripes
04-08-2009, 10:14 PM
Can't win every game.

Who does Wise have pictures of? He's a just a bench player and Ozzie has him leading off in CF? I was afraid of this over the winter. I didn't think they'd actually do it.

Kenny Lofton must be one big jag if they haven't tried to get him to lead off over Wise.

oeo
04-08-2009, 10:15 PM
If Ozzie insists on putting our crap CFs and a rookie in the 1-2 spots, it will cost this team several games over the course of the season. Those guys get more ABs than anyone on the team. Alexei/AJ would make more sense.

Getz has looked better than both Alexei and AJ.

Alexei leading off makes no sense unless he develops some patience. If Wise has done anything okay, it's been making the pitcher work a bit before striking out. Alexei and AJ at the top of the order means maybe 5 pitches before we see Quentin.

Since Ozzie wants Getz batting second, I like the idea of Fields leading off. Yeah, it's a risk, but it's better than Wise/Anderson. But really, I'd just like to see Getz #1.

Lip Man 1
04-08-2009, 10:24 PM
You can't pitch much better then Gavin did tonight. His problem was that the Sox offense continues to be in a funk.

18 total runs in their last eight games (dating back to March 30th of spring training) with six of those coming in a single game.

The question will be, how long will Ozzie go with Wise at the top spot.

Lip

oeo
04-08-2009, 10:25 PM
You can't pitch much better then Gavin did tonight. His problem was that the Sox offense continues to be in a funk.

18 total runs in their last eight games (dating back to March 30th of spring training) with six of those coming in a single game.

The question will be, how long will Ozzie go with Wise at the top spot.

Lip

You can't use Spring Training, it means nothing.

JermaineDye05
04-08-2009, 10:26 PM
My bold prediction for the year:

Gavin will have between 175 and 200 strike outs.

Goodman6
04-08-2009, 10:30 PM
We just could not get anything going off of Greinke, we'll break out tomorrow.

I sure hope you are right because I would hate to read the posts tomorrow if Kyle Davies (career ERA 5.62, career Whip 1.648) shuts down our offense tomorrow. I am wondering if there is anyone on our team that can hit a breaking ball? We can tip our hats all night long to Greinke, but our hitters sure helped him out taking a lot of strikes and swinging at pitches out of the zone. I went to 11 Spring Training games this year and saw the same poor approach by our hitters even against mediocre pitchers. Let's get the offense turned around tomorrow.

oeo
04-08-2009, 10:33 PM
We can tip our hats all night long to Greinke, but our hitters sure helped him out taking a lot of strikes and swinging at pitches out of the zone.

Once again, this makes no sense. If you're going to tip your cap, tip your cap. That's the problem on here, no one can ever do that. It's never the other pitcher, it's always the Sox. If it's always the hitter, then we should be talking about how it was the Royals' offense that did nothing, and not Gavin pitching well.

Maybe the Sox offense does suck, but you can't make that judgment off of tonight. Greinke was really good. Tip your cap, and actually do it. Greinke being filthy and the Sox swinging at pitches out of the zone go hand in hand.

Lundind1
04-08-2009, 10:36 PM
I just think it was a well pitched ballgame on both sides. I took numbers at the game, and only 9 hits between two teams just means that both staff's were on tonight. Nothing more. I hope that people don't want to jump off bridges because our leadoff players are slumping. Give them some time, be patient and I think that everything is going to work out just fine. Remember, this is almost the same KC team that was in first place for the first month, because of their pitching.

Goodman6
04-08-2009, 10:39 PM
Once again, this makes no sense. If you're going to tip your cap, tip your cap. That's the problem on here, no one can ever do that. It's never the other pitcher, it's always the Sox. If it's always the hitter, then we should be talking about how it was the Royals' offense that did nothing, and not Gavin pitching well.

Maybe the Sox offense does suck, but you can't make that judgment off of tonight. Greinke was really good. Tip your cap, move on to tomorrow.

No pal. Your response makes no sense. Were you watching the same game as the rest of us? For example, saw CQ fan on a pitched that bounced in to the left handed hitters batter's box. I am tipping my hat to Greinke, but I am saying that our hitters did help him out somewhat tonight. I guess this is why I am a scout for a professional sports team and you are not.

kevingrt
04-08-2009, 10:39 PM
Despite what everyone said we still couldn't score at least two runs? Really?

Lip Man 1
04-08-2009, 10:41 PM
OEO:

Two things.

1. It does mean something when the last week of spring training sees the team go into a collective slump. We're not talking March 1st or March 15th remember.

2. Regarding the 'tipping the cap' issue. Sox fans blame the hitters because over this past decade they have seen numerous times where garbage / mediocre / double A emergency call-up's have made the Sox look totally impotent. Not saying Grienke is in that category but you can understand how the fans feel (and that won't change until the Sox offensive philosophy of 'home run or nothing' does by the way...)

Lip

oeo
04-08-2009, 10:43 PM
No pal. Your response makes no sense. Were you watching the same game as the rest of us? For example, saw CQ fan on a pitched that bounced in to the left handed hitters batter's box.

Yeah, shortly after a pitch nearly hit him in the head. That's one occurrence in the entire game, anyway.

I am tipping my hat to Greinke, but I am saying that our hitters did help him out somewhat tonight.

That happens when you're nasty. Good pitchers are going to get a little "help." Gavin was good because he got help tonight, too, huh?

I guess this is why I am a scout for a professional sports team and you are not.

We sure have a lot of professional scouts on this site.

oeo
04-08-2009, 10:47 PM
2. Regarding the 'tipping the cap' issue. Sox fans blame the hitters because over this past decade they have seen numerous times where garbage / mediocre / double A emergency call-up's have made the Sox look totally impotent. Not saying Grienke is in that category but you can understand how the fans feel (and that won't change until the Sox offensive philosophy of 'home run or nothing' does by the way...)

If we lose to R.A. Dickey on Friday, they can complain all they want. However, Greinke is good, and was on his game tonight.

ohthosechisox
04-08-2009, 10:52 PM
This was not the exciting first game of the season I wanted to attend. But I do recognize the Sox got beat by good pitching.

I hope Danks and the Sox can win the series tomorrow!

Goodman6
04-08-2009, 10:57 PM
Yeah, shortly after a pitch nearly hit him in the head. That's one occurrence in the entire game, anyway.

That happens when you're nasty. Good pitchers are going to get a little "help." Gavin was good because he got help tonight, too, huh?

We sure have a lot of professional scouts on this site.

One real one that I know of on this board and that would be me.

OK, OEO, you a right about everything. I am not going to get in to pissing contest with you, because this could go on for days. I don't want to waste my energy on people like you. Go on believing that you know everything if that is what you need to feed your ego. Good luck to you.

Konerko05
04-08-2009, 11:01 PM

OK, OEO, you a right about everything. I am not going to get in to pissing contest with you, because this could go on for days. I don't want to waste my energy on people like you. Go on believing that you know everything if that is what you need to feed your ego. Good luck to you.

Uh, yeah since he is the one dismissing your opinion because he claims to be a professional scout on an internet message board. He obviously needs his ego fed.

oeo
04-08-2009, 11:01 PM

I'm agreeing with you that they "helped him out." However, I believe being nasty and swinging at pitches out of the zone go hand-in-hand. You apparently do not. :dunno:

And the guy who's dropping by saying he's a professional scout is talking about egos? Oh please... I don't have an ego that needs to be fed. I turn on the TV and watch baseball, just like almost everyone else here.

slavko
04-08-2009, 11:07 PM
Shoulda went for Greinke back when he was going mental. Give KC credit for not giving up on him.

ChiSoxGirl
04-08-2009, 11:09 PM
Gavin's numbers tonight mirrored Buehrle's from yesterday afternoon, except Gavin came up the hard luck loser tonight. He looked great and those nine strikeouts were awesome.

It sure was a chilly one out there tonight!!! I finally thawed out just before pulling into the driveway.

Next time I see them will be in sunny St. Pete and I'm hoping for at least one win out of the two games I'll be attending. If the rotation remains the same for us, I'll see Buehrle and Floyd pitch down there. I just hope the Rays don't counter with Sonnanstine!

Goodman6
04-08-2009, 11:16 PM
I'm agreeing with you that they "helped him out." However, I believe being nasty and swinging at pitches out of the zone go hand-in-hand. You apparently do not. :dunno:

And the guy who's dropping by saying he's a professional scout is talking about egos? Oh please...

Actually I think we do agree. I agree that being nasty does include swinging at pitches out of the strike zone, but there were occasions tonight where our hitters did help him out by taking good pitches and swinging at pitchers out of the zone. Perhaps that does go with nastiness, but we've done the same thing against mediocre pitchers in the past as well. I've seen it during Spring Training where our good hitters made some Triple A pitchers and castoffs look like Cy Young winners.

Sorry if I offended you and others on this board about being a professional scout. I really am, but I should not have mentioned that. That was really poor on my behalf. I did not mean to make it sound like an ego trip. If you knew me, you would know that I am not an ego maniac.

WhiteSox1989
04-08-2009, 11:20 PM
Just got back from the game and my only complaint is the surprising number of people wearing Snuggies.

Oh also, Dewayne Wise, has that been mentioned?

oeo
04-08-2009, 11:21 PM
Just got back from the game and my only complaint is the surprising number of people wearing Snuggies.

No way. People wear that in public?

Rohan
04-08-2009, 11:22 PM
That Greinke kid is one heck of a pitcher. Get em tomorrow then take it to the twins!

manders_01
04-08-2009, 11:23 PM

What? No! Why? Isn't an extra jacket or sweatshirt sufficient? Do you really have to wrap yourself in a blanket with sleeves in public? :o:

ChiSoxGirl
04-08-2009, 11:23 PM

Once or twice in the last 30 hours or so. :wink:

WhiteSox1989
04-08-2009, 11:31 PM
No way. People wear that in public?

Apparently, yes. VERY strange.

What? No! Why? Isn't an extra jacket or sweatshirt sufficient? Do you really have to wrap yourself in a blanket with sleeves in public? :o:Seriously. It was a Snuggie convention outside of Gate 3 after the game. I saw approximately six people in Snuggies. Now in my opinion, that is six people too much.

I did almost feel like asking one of them why they couldn't just put on a sweatshirt, but I decided against it. I guess I'll never know..

Another thing, the boos for Wise were ridiculous. It's the 2nd game. It doesn't make us Sox fans look good either.

BadBobbyJenks
04-08-2009, 11:33 PM
Greinke was great tonight, just a little better than Floyd. These things happen. Win the series tomorrow and bring on the Twins.

Probably not a good idea to have one of the worst hitters in all of baseball leading off, but hey he is only 31 we just need to give him time...

palehozenychicty
04-08-2009, 11:41 PM
Zack Greinke is one of the best pitchers in the game right now. If people are mad that we didn't club him, check yourself at the door because he'd arguably be the best pitcher in our rotation. Floyd hung in there, but Greinke was better. It's called baseball.

SOXfnNlansing
04-08-2009, 11:53 PM
Royal pitching was superior tonight giving up only 3 hits. Floyd looked good most of the game but gave up 4 hard hits (2 doubles) and that was the downfall. Hope the boys bring their sticks to the park tomorrow. A certain centerfielder was booed mercilessly tonight at the ball park. I wonder how he's holding up mentally.

oeo
04-09-2009, 12:00 AM
A certain centerfielder was booed mercilessly tonight at the ball park. I wonder how he's holding up mentally.

And therein lies the problem with booing. Wise is going to lose his job if he sucks, booing or no booing, so what's the point? Make the guy press more and get even worse results? Sounds like a good plan.

I can't remember the last time Sox fans have been over a guy this quickly. Terrible. One offseason and a bunch of morons acting like Flubs' fans come to the park. And yes, unless a player is dogging it, or is an absolute douche of a human being, booing the home team makes you a moron.

JB98
04-09-2009, 12:03 AM
My TBGR is up, if anyone really wants to relive tonight's suckfest.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=4&id=3739

BadBobbyJenks
04-09-2009, 12:06 AM
I can't remember the last time Sox fans have been over a guy this quickly. Terrible. One offseason and a bunch of morons acting like Flubs' fans come to the park. And yes, unless a player is dogging it, or is an absolute douche of a human being, booing the home team makes you a moron.

Is there a manual Sox fans can read?

oeo
04-09-2009, 12:07 AM

Here it is: use your brain don't act like a ****ing idiot.

hawkjt
04-09-2009, 12:09 AM
Gavin gave up two ,two-out rbi hits but otherwise was very good. Stoney warned he should work around teahen with two out,man on second and boom...base hit.

Greinke was on a roll tonite...but we do have to find a way to hit in the cold weather.

russ99
04-09-2009, 12:15 AM
And therein lies the problem with booing. Wise is going to lose his job if he sucks, booing or no booing, so what's the point? Make the guy press more and get even worse results? Sounds like a good plan.

And yes, the blown bunt did look bad, but to boo him every at bat? Seriously... Like him or not, the guy is representing your team. Plus he made a nice play in CF too.

And Alexei looked completely lost at the plate tonight, I don't see the fans booing him...

If Dye and Thome are having problems hitting Greinke's nasty curveballs, how are the lesser hitters on the team going to be able to?

JB98
04-09-2009, 12:20 AM
It's way too early in the season to be booing people for poor performances. If you see a guy dogging it, go ahead and boo.

Wise did have a few key hits for us last year down the stretch and in the playoffs. People are acting like he's never done anything right in a White Sox uniform before. He's had two poor games, but he's done nothing to deserve this kind of treatment.

There are others who have swung the bat poorly in these first two games.

BadBobbyJenks
04-09-2009, 12:21 AM
Here it is: use your brain don't act like a ****ing idiot.

Oh ok thanks. See I didn't know that was part of being a fan, but thank you for enlightening the fanbase. I am sure there are plenty of fans that have missed this, we need to get the word out.

oeo
04-09-2009, 12:22 AM
Oh ok thanks. See I didn't know that was part of being a fan, but thank you for enlightening the fanbase. I am sure there are plenty of fans that have missed this, we need to get the word out.

Apparently so.

Remind me again what booing does?

BadBobbyJenks
04-09-2009, 12:23 AM
Apparently so.

Remind me again what not booing does?

oeo
04-09-2009, 12:26 AM

Allows a player to work through their problems without any other added, unnecessary pressure from the fan base. Would you like to answer my question, or are you just going to run around it?

guillensdisciple
04-09-2009, 12:30 AM
:popcorn:Apparently so.

BadBobbyJenks
04-09-2009, 12:30 AM
Allows a player to work through their problems without any other added, unnecessary pressure from the fan base. Would you like to answer my question, or are you just going to run around it?

So if no one boos, Wise will work through his problems?

Booing allows fans to vent their frustration if they so choose much like cheering allows them to show their excitement. Do either really matter? Maybe, maybe not. I just don't like fans coming on here and calling people morons because they do something you wouldn't do.

oeo
04-09-2009, 12:34 AM
So if no one boos, Wise will work through his problems?

No, that's not what I said at all. Wise sucks, there's no going around that. However, booing accomplishes nothing, it will only make a situation worse.

Booing allows fans to vent their frustration if they so choose much like cheering allows them to show their excitement. Do either really matter? Maybe, maybe not. I just don't like fans coming on here and calling people morons because they do something you wouldn't do.Booing usually is going to have a psychological effect on the player (unless you're not human, it's going to be on your mind), which is not going to make things any better in a mental game. That means even worse play that I have to watch for no reason. So yeah, because of that, you're a moron if you boo.

There's no point to it, it's stupid.

BadBobbyJenks
04-09-2009, 12:39 AM
Booing usually is going to have a psychological effect on the player (unless you're not human, it's going to be on your mind), which is not going to make things any better in a mental game. That means even worse play that I have to watch, so yeah, because of that, you're a moron if you boo.

There's no point to it, it's stupid.

So cheering then makes players play better right?

oeo
04-09-2009, 12:41 AM
So cheering then makes players play better right?

What the hell are you talking about?

I see you deleted the first part of my post...did you choose to ignore it, too? I guess so...

BadBobbyJenks
04-09-2009, 12:44 AM

I see you deleted the first part of my post...did you choose to ignore it, too? I guess so...

What the hell are you talking about? I addressed the point that I wanted an answer to.

I am just trying to figure out how to be a fan.

oeo
04-09-2009, 12:55 AM

This is two times now that you have nothing to say, so you just turn the same question back on me.

I addressed the point that I wanted an answer to.You already addressed that asinine "point." No, there is not a direct relationship between cheering/booing and performance. Is that a serious question? I give up.

I am just trying to figure out how to be a fan.Good luck with that.

Nellie_Fox
04-09-2009, 12:58 AM
oeo and BadBobby, you've had your say. Knock it off now.

BadBobbyJenks
04-09-2009, 01:07 AM
Good luck with that.

All I was doing was showing how stupid and pointless an argument on booing is. Fans will choose to do what they want.

JermaineDye05
04-09-2009, 01:19 AM
Greinke was great tonight, just a little better than Floyd. These things happen. Win the series tomorrow and bring on the Twins.

Probably not a good idea to have one of the worst hitters in all of baseball leading off, but hey he is only 31 we just need to give him time...

http://www.quartzfilms.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/fouadfamguy.png

"Ohohoh! It's funny because 31 is not young at all. He has no more time to develop! Instead of a little time the Sox have no time! Ohohoh!"

BadBobbyJenks
04-09-2009, 01:37 AM
http://www.quartzfilms.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/fouadfamguy.png

"Ohohoh! It's funny because 31 is not young at all. He has no more time to develop! Instead of a little time the Sox have no time! Ohohoh!"

Haha, love it

spiffie
04-09-2009, 04:30 AM
Can we get a ruling on how to rank these fan offenses?

- Wearing a Snuggie to the game.

- Booing the home team.

- Throwing back a home run ball.

- Putting ketchup on a hot dog.

- Being on a cell phone during the game.

- Sitting behind home plate and being on a cell phone so you can wave at people you're talking to.

- Trying to sneak into seats that are not officially yours.

Jurr
04-09-2009, 05:31 AM
Greinke had a phenomenal curve going, which was the key to the game. The entire lineup was flailing at it like they were 100% sure it was a heater.
Oh well. Let's get 'em today.

ms620
04-09-2009, 05:32 AM
No pal. Your response makes no sense. Were you watching the same game as the rest of us? For example, saw CQ fan on a pitched that bounced in to the left handed hitters batter's box. I am tipping my hat to Greinke, but I am saying that our hitters did help him out somewhat tonight. I guess this is why I am a scout for a professional sports team and you are not.

Just my opinion, but when a pitcher is dominating like Greinke was last night, hitters start to guess as opposed to seeing the ball and reacting. As a result, often times against great pitchers you will see terrible swings at pitches nowhere near the strike zone, or way too early or late. Sox hitters used to do this vs. Santana...they would look for his changeup, and he would blow a fastball right down the middle by them or vice versa.

WhiteSox1989
04-09-2009, 06:13 AM
Can we get a ruling on how to rank these fan offenses?

- Wearing a Snuggie to the game.

- Booing the home team.

- Throwing back a home run ball.

- Putting ketchup on a hot dog.

- Being on a cell phone during the game.

- Sitting behind home plate and being on a cell phone so you can wave at people you're talking to.

- Trying to sneak into seats that are not officially yours.

speaking of..is green jacket still there?

Heffalump
04-09-2009, 08:23 AM
I'll chime in my opinion on the whole booing/cheering thing.

Personally, I think it is absurd to say that the booing or cheering makes any difference on the players and that the fans should/should not do it in order to "help" the players.

These guys are professionals making hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of dollars to play a child's game. A game that they have played their whole lives at ever increasing levels. It is absurd to think that fans' booing or cheering at the MLB level would have a material effect on their performance.

Also, this isn't golf. Based on some peoples comments, it seems like everyone should be silent in order to not "bother" the players while they are performing. Should all the ushers hold up "be quiet" or "no booing" signs?

That is one of the great things about baseball compared to other sports - the fans are part of the game in that respect.

Finally, how is baseball different from any other job? If a person is not performing the responsibilities they are given, why shouldn't they hear about it? If Sally CPA screws up five straight tax returns, is her boss and customers going to say "no, don't complain it may hurt her feelings and make her work even worse" ? - Of course not.

So why would it be any different for our coddled millionaire ballplayers and their customers - the fans?

I hope DeWayne succeeds at the leadoff role and I plan on giving him a few weeks to at least perform at a mediocre level before giving him @#$%, but right now he is terrible and deserves to hear it from the fans if they see fit.

Just my two cents.

BoysMom3
04-09-2009, 08:25 AM
Booing the home team is the worst, followed closely by throwing back homerun balls. The booing is so mean, I can't stand it. How would you feel out there getting booed in front of all those people when you're trying to do well? Makes me want to go out there and give the guy a big hug because you can see it on their face that it isn't a great feeling.

Imo, hearing feedback from your boss about poor performance is nothing like getting booed. Sally isn't going to have the whole office boo at her when she walks in the door. Lots of money or not, it makes me feel bad. That's my story.

oeo
04-09-2009, 08:30 AM
I'll chime in my opinion on the whole booing/cheering thing.

Personally, I think it is absurd to say that the booing or cheering makes any difference on the players and that the fans should/should not do it in order to "help" the players.

These guys are professionals making hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of dollars to play a child's game. A game that they have played their whole lives at ever increasing levels. It is absurd to think that fans' booing or cheering at the MLB level would have a material effect on their performance.

I really don't want to get into this again, but where are you and BBJ pulling this from? This is not what I said. In fact, I've already made it clear that there was no direct correlation between fan reaction and performance. However, what's absurd is if you think they're immune to falling into the mental trap that is baseball just because they're big league players. It's only human nature that some criticism is going to get in your head, and anything in your head is a bad thing on the baseball field.

Regardless, even if you don't think booing has any effect, what does it accomplish? Is it cool, or what? I'm done on this issue.

asindc
04-09-2009, 08:38 AM

If there is, oeo's comment should be in it. I have yet to read or hear anyone say that they thought his booing helps the team win. If it is done to help yourself "feel better," then you know what? Screw your feelings. I'm more concerned about the effect it has on the team, not just the guy getting booed, because you better believe some of the other players (especially the younger ones) are thinking, "but for the grace of God..."

It is pointless unless the player is just plain dogging it.

Thome25
04-09-2009, 08:46 AM
I hope this isn't a sign of things to come this season with the business as usual "HR or nothing" ballclub.......I didn't get to see the game so please don't flame me but, Gavin obviously pitched his heart out and to go from homerun the day before to no runs the day after is a little disturbing......especially with a good pitching performance.

oeo
04-09-2009, 08:50 AM
I hope this isn't a sign of things to come this season with the business as usual "HR or nothing" ballclub.......I didn't get to see the game so please don't flame me but, Gavin obviously pitched his heart out and to go from homerun the day before to no runs the day after is a little disturbing......especially with a good pitching performance.

I see no reason you can blame yesterday on 'homerun or nothing.' They couldn't get anything going because the opposing pitcher was on his game. It's not like we saw a bunch of long fly ball outs, in fact, JD lead off the 7th with a single, when usually we'd see a long out in that situation.

Thome, JD, and Konerko have not looked to be swinging for the fences in either game. :dunno:

Jerko
04-09-2009, 08:56 AM
I know this may be splitting hairs, but I think most of the boos are for the fact we still have no decent leadoff man and not a personal attack on Wise. I think people are booing the situation, not the player. Sending a message perhaps, even though Ozzie makes the ****in lineup.

kittle42
04-09-2009, 09:00 AM
I know this may be splitting hairs, but I think most of the boos are for the fact we still have no decent leadoff man and not a personal attack on Wise. I think people are booing the situation, not the player. Sending a message perhaps, even though Ozzie makes the ****in lineup.

Excellent point.

oeo
04-09-2009, 09:04 AM

If that's the case, then hopefully Kenny is getting the memo. This is now the fourth year in a row that we have not had a legitimate centerfielder, and the third in a row that we have not had a legitimate lead off hitter. It's about time Kenny does something about it instead of saying we're fine with Owens, Wise, Anderson, Erstad, Swisher, etc. because we're obviously not. This is the missing fifth starter from 5+ years ago all over again.

kittle42
04-09-2009, 09:05 AM
If that's the case, then hopefully Kenny is getting the memo. This is now the fourth year in a row that we have not had a legitimate centerfielder, and the third in a row that we have not had a legitimate lead off hitter. It's about time Kenny does something about it instead of saying we're fine with Owens, Wise, Anderson, Erstad, Swisher, etc.

But he *almost* had Torii Hunter!!! That merits him a 5-year pass!!! :D:

asindc
04-09-2009, 09:08 AM

And I'm still glad the Sox didn't pay LAAAAA prices for him. I think the CF position will work itself out eventually. It won't be ideal, given the available personnel, but I think we will be better off this year than having Swisher watch strike three go by him with annoying frequency.

Tragg
04-09-2009, 09:52 AM
The problem is that Guillen is exacerbating the personnel weaknesses with his insistence, now for the 3rd in a row, of putting a terrible hitter who can run, 1st or 2nd in the the order.
It began in 07 with "400 hitter" Erstad---->the Sox had the worst offense in base ball.
Owens was pencilled in in 08---> saved by injury
And now Wise. obp below .300 is "tremendous" per Guillen.
We probably could have gotten upgrades fairly cheap -MacDougal plus cash would have netted Anderson from the Braves, e.g. (he's not much, but he towers over Wise or Owens)

Hendu
04-09-2009, 09:55 AM
I'm late to this thread and I'm sure it's been pointed out numerous times - but it's hard to win with 3 singles. And I hope that we get even with the Royals today with our bats instead of bean balls.

ChiSoxFan81
04-09-2009, 09:56 AM
I'm late to this thread and I'm sure it's been pointed out numerous times - but it's hard to win with 3 singles. And I hope that we get even with the Royals today with our bats instead of bean balls.

We couldn't even score a run with 3 CONSECUTIVE singles!!

Metalthrasher442
04-09-2009, 10:09 AM
Just imagine if Ozzie would have lead off Getz yesterday to please fans.. Getz didn't have a good day at the plate like everyone else.

We would have been bitching about that too.

markopat
04-09-2009, 10:18 AM
I thought our pitching was pretty awesome...Great to see Thornton and Linebrink throwing well...Let's get em tomorrow!

Go Go SOX!

Konerkoholic
04-09-2009, 10:39 AM
I think that you, oeo, should stand by your point that when a player's home fans boo him, he can press. Particularly a player like Wise, who has spent years in the minors and surely sees a return trip as a possibility if he continues to play poorly.

voodoochile
04-09-2009, 10:41 AM
Just FYI...

Wise is hitting 8th today... Getz is leading off with AJ batting second.

areilly
04-09-2009, 10:41 AM

It's these Chicago fans, Kittle. People forget things too quickly.

:redneck

thedudeabides
04-09-2009, 10:46 AM
The problem is that Guillen is exacerbating the personnel weaknesses with his insistence, now for the 3rd in a row, of putting a terrible hitter who can run, 1st or 2nd in the the order.
It began in 07 with "400 hitter" Erstad---->the Sox had the worst offense in base ball.
Owens was pencilled in in 08---> saved by injury
And now Wise. obp below .300 is "tremendous" per Guillen.
We probably could have gotten upgrades fairly cheap -MacDougal plus cash would have netted Anderson from the Braves, e.g. (he's not much, but he towers over Wise or Owens)

And once again, you're just making **** up.

Nellie_Fox
04-09-2009, 10:49 AM
Why do so many people care about other people wearing a Snuggie? That is truly something that affects you not in the least. Why is it any worse than just being under a regular blanket?

spiffie
04-09-2009, 11:05 AM
Why do so many people care about other people wearing a Snuggie? That is truly something that affects you not in the least. Why is it any worse than just being under a regular blanket?
I was called a communist by a very angry fan on Opening Day for putting ketchup on my hot dog. I laughed at it the first time, but he seemed to take it very personally.

doublem23
04-09-2009, 11:06 AM

I think we all have a somewhat small stake in watching society slowly, collectively go insane.

Nellie_Fox
04-09-2009, 11:13 AM
I was called a communist by a very angry fan on Opening Day for putting ketchup on my hot dog. I laughed at it the first time, but he seemed to take it very personally.Yeah, I know. I grew up in Chicago, I like ketchup AND mustard on my hot dog, and I've had people lecture me. I've also had a woman (who I had never seen before in my life) go absolutely nuts (to the point that her husband had to tell her to shut up and mind her own business) because I bought a vanilla ice cream cone at Baskin-Robbins, "when there are so many other flavors to choose from, and you can get vanilla anywhere."

oeo
04-09-2009, 11:14 AM
I've also had a woman (who I had never seen before in my life) go absolutely nuts (to the point that her husband had to tell her to shut up and mind her own business) because I bought a vanilla ice cream cone at Baskin-Robbins, "when there are so many other flavors to choose from, and you can get vanilla anywhere."

Sorry, but that's hilarious.

asindc
04-09-2009, 11:15 AM
I was called a communist by a very angry fan on Opening Day for putting ketchup on my hot dog. I laughed at it the first time, but he seemed to take it very personally.

:tsk:

spawn
04-09-2009, 11:19 AM
I've also had a woman (who I had never seen before in my life) go absolutely nuts (to the point that her husband had to tell her to shut up and mind her own business) because I bought a vanilla ice cream cone at Baskin-Robbins, "when there are so many other flavors to choose from, and you can get vanilla anywhere."
That's hilarious!

BadBobbyJenks
04-09-2009, 11:30 AM
Just imagine if Ozzie would have lead off Getz yesterday to please fans.. Getz didn't have a good day at the plate like everyone else.

We would have been bitching about that too.

I am not sure why these types of points keep being made. Wise is 31 and has proven over and over again that he is not any good. Getz has barely had a cup of coffee with the Sox, there is no reason to bitch if he performs poorly.

johnnyg83
04-09-2009, 12:07 PM
There's an old management saying "praise in public, criticize in private."

Obviously, doesn't totally work here but the idea of humiliating someone in public (regardless of their performance or whether they deserve it) is that it hurts more to have your colleagues and strangers hear it.

Humans are humans no matter how much money they make.

jdm2662
04-09-2009, 12:08 PM

And my wife, a Rockford transplant, thinks I'm bad when I give her grief for it. I've never stooped that low.

Well, until now. You damn commie!!! :redneck

jabrch
04-09-2009, 12:10 PM
We couldn't even score a run with 3 CONSECUTIVE singles!!

And why exactly was that?

spiffie
04-09-2009, 12:10 PM
And why exactly was that?
Obviously because of DeWayne Wise.

He is also to blame for my hot dog not tasting good.

jabrch
04-09-2009, 12:11 PM
If that's the case, then hopefully Kenny is getting the memo. This is now the fourth year in a row that we have not had a legitimate centerfielder, and the third in a row that we have not had a legitimate lead off hitter. It's about time Kenny does something about it instead of saying we're fine with Owens, Wise, Anderson, Erstad, Swisher, etc. because we're obviously not.

In those 4 years, we won a WS, made the post season twice, and had a 90+ win team that failed to make the post season (a very rare occurence).

To me, that's fine.

And our bad year in the past 4 - had very little to do with the leadoff hitter or the CF when you look at the big picture.

johnnyg83
04-09-2009, 12:13 PM
There's an old management saying "praise in public, criticize in private."

Obviously, doesn't totally work here but the idea of humiliating someone in public (regardless of their performance or whether they deserve it) is that it hurts more to have your colleagues and strangers hear it.

Humans are humans no matter how much money they make.

I apologize, I sort of forced that.

Lip Man 1
04-09-2009, 12:55 PM
Jab:

A lot of truth in your last post. Personally I thought the failed bullpen experiment had more to do with the disaster of 2007 then the CF / leadoff issues but they certainly didn't help matters either having them in play.

Lip

BoysMom3
04-09-2009, 12:59 PM
I apologize, I sort of forced that.

Don't apologize. I thought it was good.

oeo
04-09-2009, 01:02 PM
In those 4 years, we won a WS, made the post season twice, and had a 90+ win team that failed to make the post season (a very rare occurence).

No, I said this is the fourth year in a row that we have not had a centerfielder. That would mean it started in 2006 after Rowand was traded.

Regardless of success, it's still not an excuse to not fill the hole.