PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here have MLB.TV?

OmarLittle
04-08-2009, 09:29 PM
I live out of market and I'm thinking about getting MLB.TV

The price isn't an issue, but I figured that I should ask around and get some reviews. Hows the quality? Does it slow your internet down? If anyone has an input I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

guillen4life13
04-09-2009, 12:05 AM
I'm in Miami getting the MLB.TV Premium service ($20/month). It seems slightly buggy on the new system, where audio might cut out or it freezes up for a second, but I don't know if that's my internet or not. I have cable internet but my ISP has been having issues lately that they've been working to correct, so from time to time the internet just cuts out or slows down really badly. I also share a 12 mbps network with 4 other computers, though not all are always running simultaneously.

You can get HD quality picture but you'll want a fast internet connection if you do that.

IMHO, it's worth it. I got the regular service last year and I definitely felt that the $15/month (IIRC) was a reasonable price to pay to be able to follow your team, even if the picture quality is choppy and bad from time to time.

BoKnowsBest
04-09-2009, 12:20 AM
MLB.TV is always buggy when they have free previews because of an increased number of people using it. Once its just the subscribers watching it things seem to get better for the most part. I'm looking forward to being able to actually use my premium subscription at the highest quality level once the bugs are worked out instead of the lower quality streams. Luckily MLB extra innings has a free preview going now too, so I've been able to watch the games on my TV instead of on my computer.

DSpivack
04-09-2009, 01:00 AM
I've had it for years now, never really had a serious issue, just intermittent service issues every now and then. The progress in quality from just a few seasons ago is startling.

Irishsoxfan
04-09-2009, 01:42 AM
As another out of market subscriber I think it's great and worth every penny. I agree there do appear to be a few intermittent service issues but the quality when it is there is excellent.

GoGoCrede
04-09-2009, 03:31 AM
I love it. Last night I watched two games at once, just because I could. I also liked being able to see highlights from other games. My internet connection in the dorm is choppy, causing the picture to freeze a lot, but I'm sure once I'm home it will be better.

My only beef is that games aren't available sooner after they end. I fell asleep around the 4th of last night's Sox game and I'd like to see more of it.

IlliniOne82
04-09-2009, 07:44 PM
My only complaint is that the NexDef application (for HD quality) lags so far behind live action. If you switch between that and normal it's at least 90 seconds behind. If you look at the scores within the media application it will show runners on base well before it happens on the video. The picture on the highest "normal" setting is still pretty good and it doesn't have any choppiness. On the HD settings there are some problems with stuttering.

GoGoCrede
04-11-2009, 05:11 AM
Tonight's game is supposed to be blacked out nationally. If I'm watching MLB.tv out of the country, does this mean I'll be able to watch the game?

whitesox901
04-11-2009, 05:12 AM
Last it last season, loved it.

EnglishChiSox
04-11-2009, 06:50 AM
Tonight's game is supposed to be blacked out nationally. If I'm watching MLB.tv out of the country, does this mean I'll be able to watch the game?

I watched FOX Broadcasts on mlb.tv last season so unless they've changed the policy then you should be able to watch it.

GoGoCrede
04-11-2009, 07:22 AM
I watched FOX Broadcasts on mlb.tv last season so unless they've changed the policy then you should be able to watch it.

That is great news.:bandance:Let's hope they bring a win home for my birthday on Sunday. I'm glad it's a day game, means I can watch at around 8pm here.

nedlug
04-12-2009, 08:22 PM
I bought it for this season. Been happy with it so far.

SoxGirl4Life
04-12-2009, 08:25 PM
I've had it for a few seasons. I think its worth the price. They do auto-renew, so you might want to check that out for next year, so you're not surprised.

manders_01
04-12-2009, 08:41 PM
I was disappointed with the broadcast today. Maybe as other have said, there are still some early season bugs. Unfortunately, my picture and audio were jumpy and kept skipping and the DVR wouldn't work a majority of the time and when it finally did kick in, it wouldn't be in the location I had stopped it at. Again, I'm hoping this will all remedy itself with more time. :crossfingers:

illini81887
04-13-2009, 07:54 AM
You are able to watch it because you are out of country. But for people in states on Saturday, they have to wait until night games are being played

Madscout
04-13-2009, 08:09 AM
You are able to watch it because you are out of country. But for people in states on Saturday, they have to wait until night games are being played
Which is BS. I always hated when FOX carried a game, because chances are, I'm going to get Phillies v Mets or some bull**** like that. If I pay for MLBtv, and FOX doesn't broadcast my game in my area, then I see no reason why FOX should be able to black me out. I'll still watch their comercials if I have to.

illini81887
04-13-2009, 03:22 PM
Which is BS. I always hated when FOX carried a game, because chances are, I'm going to get Phillies v Mets or some bull**** like that. If I pay for MLBtv, and FOX doesn't broadcast my game in my area, then I see no reason why FOX should be able to black me out. I'll still watch their comercials if I have to.
Heck even if games are scheduled before the FOX games at noon, still cant seem them on mlb.tv or extra innings