PDA

View Full Version : Man Dies After Fight In Anaheim

nug0hs
04-08-2009, 08:53 PM
http://losangeles.angels.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090408&content_id=4168976&vkey=news_ana&fext=.jsp&c_id=ana

MOD EDIT: Copyrighted text

SBSoxFan
04-08-2009, 10:26 PM
I think it makes the Angels look very callous to point out that the fight occurred 7 minutes after the game ended. :scratch:

Boondock Saint
04-08-2009, 10:31 PM
I think it makes the Angels look very callous to point out that the fight occurred 7 minutes after the game ended. :scratch:

I agree. A man died, and the only thing they have to say is, "The game was over already, it wasn't our fault." I know it's important to cover your ass, but it'd be nice to see something other than that.

Heffalump
04-09-2009, 08:29 AM
I've seen a few similar instances at the Cell (not where anyone dies, obviously) where fights break out after or before the game in the parking lots, the ramps, etc.

I'm going to stand up for myself and my family, but watching some of these instances really scared the heck out of me - as it is clear that alcohol just turns some people into wild animals.

kittle42
04-09-2009, 08:55 AM
Anyone who ever fights unless his or her life is threatened is a goddamned idiot.

ChiSoxFan81
04-09-2009, 09:35 AM
Anyone who ever fights unless his or her life is threatened is a goddamned idiot.

Preach it!

Red Barchetta
04-09-2009, 09:37 AM
I've seen a few similar instances at the Cell (not where anyone dies, obviously) where fights break out after or before the game in the parking lots, the ramps, etc.

I'm going to stand up for myself and my family, but watching some of these instances really scared the heck out of me - as it is clear that alcohol just turns some people into wild animals.

The story did not indicate anyone was drinking and that the person who died suffered from hitting his head after a sucker punch from behind by a third person.

Sure, alcohol may have played a role, however that doesn't excuse the violence. During the Sox-Cubs series at the Cell last season, I witnessed a few exchanges on the ramps heading out of the park that I thought for sure was going to lead to some blows, but thankfully cooler heads prevailed.

When you think of all the organized sporting events across our nation and the small amount of actual incidents like this one, I would hate to see this turn into another thread on the evils of beer sales and how the far majority of responsible adults will again be punished. I think it's more of the competitive nature of the event and how people can't maintain a civil attitude. Look at the history of fans going nuts at European soccer games. That can't be blamed on beer sales. I coach little league baseball and we've had to stop fights between parents in an environment where no alcohol is served.

Heffalump
04-09-2009, 11:44 AM
The story did not indicate anyone was drinking and that the person who died suffered from hitting his head after a sucker punch from behind by a third person.

Sure, alcohol may have played a role, however that doesn't excuse the violence. During the Sox-Cubs series at the Cell last season, I witnessed a few exchanges on the ramps heading out of the park that I thought for sure was going to lead to some blows, but thankfully cooler heads prevailed.

When you think of all the organized sporting events across our nation and the small amount of actual incidents like this one, I would hate to see this turn into another thread on the evils of beer sales and how the far majority of responsible adults will again be punished. I think it's more of the competitive nature of the event and how people can't maintain a civil attitude. Look at the history of fans going nuts at European soccer games. That can't be blamed on beer sales. I coach little league baseball and we've had to stop fights between parents in an environment where no alcohol is served.

I agree that the article didn't state that alcohol was involved, but the odds are pretty good that is was - especially at an MLB game.

I'm not trying to preach about the evils of drinking at all (I like a beer or two at a game, myself). I'm only commenting on how (for whatever reason) some people that appear to be "normal" citizens can turn into crazy animals at a ballgame for the stupidest things - It really makes me watch my back a bit more, especially when taking my family to a game.

Red Barchetta
04-09-2009, 12:11 PM
I agree that the article didn't state that alcohol was involved, but the odds are pretty good that is was - especially at an MLB game.

I'm not trying to preach about the evils of drinking at all (I like a beer or two at a game, myself). I'm only commenting on how (for whatever reason) some people that appear to be "normal" citizens can turn into crazy animals at a ballgame for the stupidest things - It really makes me watch my back a bit more, especially when taking my family to a game.

I really think if a person is an aggressive jerk, that's his personality with or without alcohol. I also agree with you that if he was overserved that the effects of alcohol may have pushed him to his aggressive nature faster than if he was sober.

However in line with the other beer policy threads, I really don't think the culprit is the expensive beer served in the ballpark. I also like a beer or two during the game, however it's my wallet more than anything that prevents me from going over the edge. If MLB and the SOX in particular really want to prevent any perceived alcohol related incidents, they should cut off tailgaiting instead of inside the park beer sales. It's a lot easier (and cheaper) for someone to buy a case of beer before the game, get slammed and then maintain his buzz on 1 or 2 ballpark beers than it is for someone to be overserved while in the ballpark. JMO.

chisox77
04-09-2009, 12:17 PM
In addition to this tragedy, the Angels have to address another one with a deceased player. Tough times for them.