PDA

View Full Version : Opening day complaints

MP#3
04-08-2009, 04:48 PM
Okay, as someone who goes to at least 20 home games a season and has been to the opener for 5 straight years, I can honestly say I have never been so irritated at a game before.

First, we get to the stadium 2.5 hours before game time, pull up to the lot to park only to be turned away because were paying cash and don’t have a coupon. We have to drive 10 minutes in a circle just to park in the farthest possible lot even though the other lots are almost completely empty. Then as a final kick in the butt parking went up to 23 bucks. Grr.

So we set up the grill and kick back and after a few beers I need to use the washroom. I stand up and look around, no porta pottys in our lot. I walk through two lots to find 3 porta pottys that each have a line of 3 to 4 thousand people in each line. Grr.

So after the 45 minute pee fiasco I go back to the car and we are ready to head into the stadium a full 30 minutes before first pitch. We get to the gates only to see a huge crowd at the gate that does not appear to be moving. After standing in line for 20 minutes we are finally close enough to see that security is shaking down every single person trying to get in. Everything from water bottles to loose change is being taken from fans. I swear I even think I saw a security guard take a half empty bottle of formula from a baby. We finally make it through the gates after missing the intro and first pitch. Grr.

No we are finally in the stadium and I make a bee line for the beer stand for a couple beers before we take our seats. I try to get three beers for me and my friends only to be told that they will only serve me one beer at a time. Grr.

After a few minutes in our seats the beer guy walks by and again I try to get three beers, one for me and my two friends who are unfortunately beerless, only to be told that I cant have one because I already have a half empty beer which I have to chug to get a new one. (I'd say grr hear, but hey, I'll take any excuse to chug a beer.)

I swear, if the next game is as annoying as the opener I will be going to a LOT less games this year. Anyone else find anything irritating about yesterday’s game?

oeo
04-08-2009, 04:55 PM
The new out of town scoreboard ****ing sucks.

ws05champs
04-08-2009, 04:56 PM
I got stuck in a line trying to get in too. Once inside they had 1 person struggling with a plastic bag trying to hand out the flags. Just barely made the first pitch.

But the absolute worst was that most of the women's bathrooms (if not all) on the upper deck were out of order. That is inexcusable.

amsteel
04-08-2009, 05:01 PM
Yeah, I'm not sure why it takes so long to search bags and scan tickets, but it sure as hell does.

kittle42
04-08-2009, 05:08 PM
Aside from the new beer policy, this is par for the course for any Sox game.

Konerko05
04-08-2009, 05:14 PM
Most of the bathrooms in the UD did not have running water for at least the 4th-9th innings. The toilets were entirely filled with... well I'll leave that to your imagination and I was unable to wash my hands. I was pretty disgusted for a few innings until a couple beers and a White Sox comeback was able to clear my memory.

soxfan43
04-08-2009, 05:19 PM
I'll echo those parking complaints. We kept getting directed to drive in circles basically. And half of those parking people were just sitting around doing nothing. I usually take the el to the game, so I haven't dealt with parking much, but if it's always like that, what a joke. I got a brief patting down but it was nothing crazy at the gate. While the out of town scoreboard needs some work, it's still better than last year. The Fundamentals deck looks bad with the Comcast banners, but can't really fault the Sox for losing corporate sponsors in this economy. But either way, it was great to be back at a game and especially a White Sox winner.

HawkTheGM
04-08-2009, 05:22 PM
Tell me about it.

During the 5th inning, I went up to get a hotdog. I went over to the ketchup/mustard stand to load up my dog with mustard. I set my hotdog down, turn for one second to take a sip of beer. When I turned around, I see Bartolo Colon running off with my hotdog :angry::angry::angry:

minutia
04-08-2009, 05:48 PM
The ladies bathrooms on the upper deck were disgusting. A friend of mine who works at the park said they had a massive plumbing failure and basically the whole place did not have running water or flushing toilets. I think that is a health violation.:puking:
I also second the sentiment of the searching of the bags. I realize that in this day and age we need to be vigilant but there has to be a more efficient way to do that and cue people better. Also, all the turnstiles should of been open for entrance and not blocked with boxes for the giveaway. Opening day is a huge draw and it is great to get your prize but the lines were bad and ineffective. But by far the bathrooms were the worst.

soxinem1
04-08-2009, 05:58 PM
I have to say, ever since this park opened in 1991 there has not been at least a half dozen times a year that something bizzare or inexcusable has happened while I was there.

Unless it is a playoff game, I refuse to sit in the Upper Deck. The swearing, fights, and just Loserville atmosphere has had me turn down may a tickets for years. Security is a joke up there, you are better off standing in the concourse or walking around, which is equally tough if you have kids.

The first few years the park was open they would make this stupid 'For YOUR convenience, ushers will be checking tickets for the next couple innings' announcement. Fine, check the tickets before you enter the area, but in the 4th Inning? Then you have to have this usher girl/guy blocking your way? What BS that was.

Entering this park has always been an issue, even before the post 911, pre-entrance frisk downs. The lack of sidewalk space at the west entrances forces people in the parking lot, or crowding the sidewalk, or both. Again, especially if you have kids, being smashed, run into, or stepped on by other fans did not happen in Comiskey. There was always plenty of standing area away from traffic. When they did the renovations I really hoped they would do something to remedy this, but they did not.

ramblinsoxfan11
04-08-2009, 06:03 PM
Last year I was sitting in the Upper Deck and an old man, who may have had a bit too much of the drink in him, fell down about four rows of stairs and landed on his head. To make matters worse for him, the Sox had their lawyer up there having him sign forms saying it was not their fault before they allowed their official medic, who was about 400 pounds and looked like he was going to have a heart attack walking up the steps, take a look at the guy. Then the Sox lost :angry:

MarySwiss
04-08-2009, 06:19 PM
I'll echo those parking complaints. We kept getting directed to drive in circles basically. And half of those parking people were just sitting around doing nothing. I usually take the el to the game, so I haven't dealt with parking much, but if it's always like that, what a joke. I got a brief patting down but it was nothing crazy at the gate. While the out of town scoreboard needs some work, it's still better than last year. The Fundamentals deck looks bad with the Comcast banners, but can't really fault the Sox for losing corporate sponsors in this economy. But either way, it was great to be back at a game and especially a White Sox winner.
They must have hired the same people who directed traffic at CR this spring! For more info, see my critique on the home page

Garland_IS_God
04-08-2009, 06:25 PM
Last year I was sitting in the Upper Deck and an old man, who may have had a bit too much of the drink in him, fell down about four rows of stairs and landed on his head. To make matters worse for him, the Sox had their lawyer up there having him sign forms saying it was not their fault before they allowed their official medic, who was about 400 pounds and looked like he was going to have a heart attack walking up the steps, take a look at the guy. Then the Sox lost :angry:

That happened to me a few years ago. I was walking the aisle to go use the washroom, tripped over one of the cup holders and went down about 4 rows...luckily nobody was in a seat that I landed on. Someone called security and when they arrived, they had me fill out paperwork, then they asked me if I needed medical staff after 15 minutes.

Dibbs
04-08-2009, 06:42 PM
Then as a final kick in the butt parking went up to 23 bucks. Grr.

You have got to be kidding me. The inflation on the parking price is ridiculous. It was $10 just a decade ago. I was just joking with my friends about how they will squeeze an extra dollar or two out of us for parking.

thomas35forever
04-08-2009, 06:48 PM
While not that big of an issue, you'd think they could update the Sox timeline on the upper deck concourse. They put that up when the park changed its name and it's stayed the same ever since. C'mon Sox. Let's see some images of the All-Star Game, World Series, and Blackout Game.

Illini Stripes
04-08-2009, 06:54 PM
We started to enter at Gate 3 but the lines were huge and not moving at all. Then we decided to try our luck at Gate 2, it was worse! GRR! Missed the beginning of the game. The urinals didn't seem like they ever flushed either. The out of town scoreboard is weak, you can't see it from left center field. And I can't get over the stale hot dog buns....gross!

You would think that the White Sox would have all these kinks worked out for opening day but apparently not.

milrtyme28
04-08-2009, 06:57 PM
Wow - there is a lot of crabbing and complaining this year.....

skobabe8
04-08-2009, 07:01 PM
Did anyone have a good time on OD?

****ing bitch and moan.

Boondock Saint
04-08-2009, 07:03 PM
Did anyone have a good time on OD?

****ing bitch and moan.

Calm down. It's a thread specifically created to vent frustrations. I'm sure the majority of people that have posted in the thread had a great time. It's just nice to let out one's frustrations every once in a while.

skobabe8
04-08-2009, 07:08 PM
Believe me, I'm calm.

Have you seen the other 5 threads that talk about all of the complaints? Now we need one especially dedicated to bring all of the whiners to one place, huh? Jesus. I was crushed the game was postponed and I couldnt go due to work. The last thing I care about is someone thinking they shouldnt have to wait in line or be subjected to a cold hot dog bun.

doublem23
04-08-2009, 07:10 PM
The last thing I care about is someone thinking they shouldnt have to wait in line or be subjected to a cold hot dog bun.

It's just not a baseball game unless I'm eating a gourmet hot dog.

chisoxfanatic
04-08-2009, 07:13 PM
I just hope the whole bathroom issue doesn't is all worked out by Friday night. That is just disgusting and completely unacceptable.

twentywontowin
04-08-2009, 07:13 PM
Believe me, I'm calm.

Have you seen the other 5 threads that talk about all of the complaints? Now we need one especially dedicated to bring all of the whiners to one place, huh? Jesus. I was crushed the game was postponed and I couldnt go due to work. The last thing I care about is someone thinking they shouldnt have to wait in line or be subjected to a cold hot dog bun.

I'm upset about the nachos still. $7.50 and they didn't use Allen Brothers USDA Prime sirloin for the ground beef? Ridiculous.

minutia
04-08-2009, 10:17 PM
Believe me, I'm calm.

I had a great time at the game. The lines are the lines, I think they could be more efficient but what can you do? But seriously, the bathroom thing was atrocious. They were disgusting. At least the ladies rooms and I went to all of them on the upper deck and decided I could wait until I got home.

soxinem1- I love the upper deck and kind of don't like being lumped into a loserville category. I don't like sitting in the outfield now, that is more of a free for all and have seen just outright bad behavior out there, but your experience is your experience.

kevingrt
04-08-2009, 10:44 PM

Heh, stale buns are disgusting. And I unfortunately had one. That was my only complaint on OD though.

So I had a good OD.

soltrain21
04-08-2009, 10:53 PM
I think the scoreboard is fine. And I don't want to hear someone complain about missing first pitch if they run to grab a beer right when they get into the stadium.

NoNeckEra
04-08-2009, 11:04 PM
You have got to be kidding me. The inflation on the parking price is ridiculous. It was $10 just a decade ago. I was just joking with my friends about how they will squeeze an extra dollar or two out of us for parking.

When I was in H.S. in the '70s, they were struggling to get people back in the park and parking was $1.00. Can some of you other "old farts" back me up on that?

I'd say they definitely caught up with, and certainly passed the rate of inflation since then.

fox23
04-08-2009, 11:13 PM
I have to say, ever since this park opened in 1991 there has not been at least a half dozen times a year that something bizzare or inexcusable has happened while I was there.

Unless it is a playoff game, I refuse to sit in the Upper Deck. The swearing, fights, and just Loserville atmosphere has had me turn down may a tickets for years. Security is a joke up there, you are better off standing in the concourse or walking around, which is equally tough if you have kids.

The first few years the park was open they would make this stupid 'For YOUR convenience, ushers will be checking tickets for the next couple innings' announcement. Fine, check the tickets before you enter the area, but in the 4th Inning? Then you have to have this usher girl/guy blocking your way? What BS that was.

Entering this park has always been an issue, even before the post 911, pre-entrance frisk downs. The lack of sidewalk space at the west entrances forces people in the parking lot, or crowding the sidewalk, or both. Again, especially if you have kids, being smashed, run into, or stepped on by other fans did not happen in Comiskey. There was always plenty of standing area away from traffic. When they did the renovations I really hoped they would do something to remedy this, but they did not.

Gee, with my season tickets in the UD, can I run for Mayor of Loserville then?

FielderJones
04-08-2009, 11:21 PM
When I was in H.S. in the '70s, they were struggling to get people back in the park and parking was $1.00. Can some of you other "old farts" back me up on that?

Sorry, I was too cheap to pay for parking back then. We would park on Union just north of 35th so we'd be on a one-way street heading back toward the Stevenson.

beasly213
04-08-2009, 11:23 PM
I think the scoreboard is fine. And I don't want to hear someone complain about missing first pitch if they run to grab a beer right when they get into the stadium.

I second those points.

soxfan21
04-09-2009, 12:03 AM
I had fun, it was OD and we won.

Warriorjan
04-09-2009, 01:00 AM
I echo the bathroom sentiments. I used the ladies room in the outfield, and as women were going in and out of the stalls they were giving reports as to whether the toilets were flushing or not. Really bad. Hope they get the problem fixed.

WhiffleBall
04-09-2009, 08:52 AM
The urinals in the stadium club men's room were also not flushing. It was pretty disgusting. One of the SC elevators (of two total) was unavailable for half the game.

The almost $5 hot dog/polish with a stale bun is a huge problem. There has to be some sort of a contraption to allow them to keep hundreds of buns per stand steamed for a few hours. The hot dogs the mobile vendors sell usually have good buns but the hot dogs themselves are lacking.

I know we should expect to pay more at the ballpark but $6.75 for a beer is pretty bad. Ironically enough the new beer policies will probably save fans a bunch of money while causing the Sox to lose revenue.

Dweezy's three strikeouts also sucked.

kittle42
04-09-2009, 08:56 AM
I know we should expect to pay more at the ballpark but $6.75 for a beer is pretty bad. Ironically enough the new beer policies will probably save fans a bunch of money while causing the Sox to lose revenue.

They could charge $10 per 16oz. beer and still make a killing. Other stadiums are pretty close to that.

Procol Harum
04-09-2009, 09:10 AM
The White Sox gouge with parking prices has been a long, long-standing beef of mine. And in terms of inflation, the Sox certainly have stayed well ahead of the curve--it's their equivalent to the government's passage of sales or corporate taxes for milking money from the masses without resorting to income or property tax hikes.

In 2000, we were paying $10 to park--according to the Fed Reserve of Minneapolis' ever-so-helpful guide to inflation that fee adjusted for inflation should in the year of our Lord 2009 stand at $12.68. The Sox are reaping more than an extra Alexander Hamilton off of every car that parks in a Sox lot. So, if you figure the Sox average 5,000 cars in the lot per game over 81 home dates (an underestimation, I would imagine) that means an extra $4 million + in the coffers....

Jerko
04-09-2009, 09:31 AM
LAST year's opening day was brutal line-wise. Maybe due to the postponement, this year was tame by comparison IMO. I got to the game Tuesday at about noon expecting the worst, but there were no lines, no waiting, nothing. Got 2 flags, a free hat, no fuss no muss. Wound up with a good spot on the concourse (can't sit for some reason, I just hate sitting at games), and bathroom lines were a tenth of what they were last year. No excuse for stale/bad food though, and you would think with 6 months to prepare the elevators and bathrooms would work correctly.

ChiSoxFan81
04-09-2009, 09:52 AM

My sentiments exactly. ;)

markopat
04-09-2009, 10:22 AM
Wish I'd have been there..........

LauraJ14
04-09-2009, 10:49 AM
The White Sox gouge with parking prices has been a long, long-standing beef of mine. And in terms of inflation, the Sox certainly have stayed well ahead of the curve--it's their equivalent to the government's passage of sales or corporate taxes for milking money from the masses without resorting to income or property tax hikes.

In 2000, we were paying $10 to park--according to the Fed Reserve of Minneapolis' ever-so-helpful guide to inflation that fee adjusted for inflation should in the year of our Lord 2009 stand at $12.68. The Sox are reaping more than an extra Alexander Hamilton off of every car that parks in a Sox lot. So, if you figure the Sox average 5,000 cars in the lot per game over 81 home dates (an underestimation, I would imagine) that means an extra $4 million + in the coffers....

I know that some of this increase in parking is going to the City - I think they upped their entertainment tax on parking. If you are a season ticket holder, it pays to get the parking pass if you can - it's only $18 per game.

amsteel
04-09-2009, 11:19 AM
I got food poisoning from a hot dog in 2004, so any year I don't end up doubled over for a few days afterwards is a success in my book.

CWSpalehoseCWS
04-09-2009, 12:23 PM
I couldn't believe that they only had 2 people scanning tickets at the gate I was at. The person I went with didn't even get the schedule or flag because they couldn't find the only person handing them out. 25-30 minutes later, after the missing the opening ceremony and top of the first I got to my seats.

I also did not have a "coupon." Just drove right past him and paid in the middle lot. It seemed like no one knew what was going on. Compared to 2005, 2007, & 2008 this was by far the most unorganized and stressful opening day.

MP#3
04-09-2009, 04:06 PM
Nice to know I'm not the only one irked about the way they handled the opener.

And I don't understand the comments some people made on this thread about not having the right to voice a complaint. If I pay good money for a service should I not be ticked when the party providing that service does so in a lackluster and half assed manner?

skobabe8
04-09-2009, 04:11 PM
Nice to know I'm not the only one irked about the way they handled the opener.

And I don't understand the comments some people made on this thread about not having the right to voice a complaint. If I pay good money for a service should I not be ticked when the party providing that service does so in a lackluster and half assed manner?

No one said you don't have the right to complain. Just like no one said I don't have the right to say that judging by your original post, you sound like it was your very first opening day. At least do a little research first. That would have spared you about 6 of your 'GRR's.

MP#3
04-09-2009, 04:27 PM
This was not my first opening day, but this was my first opening day where I've been angered by the way things went. Never been turned away from a lot, never had to wait 1/2 an hour to get into the stadium when the gates opened hours ago, etc...

And what "Research" am I supposed to do? Is there a White Sox Home Opener Technical Manual and Fan Guide that I was supposed to read?

RustyKuntz
04-09-2009, 04:41 PM
Parking took about as long as I expected.

Didn't really have a problem getting into the stadium 45 minutes before game time.

But my wife found the urine waterfalls in the bathrooms pretty disturbing. Not to mention all the used tampons and total lack of toilet paper.

I had a problem with the concession stand workers. I'm amazed they can walk and remember to breath at the same time. Jeez.

And I found most of the upper deck folks to be pretty obnoxious, too. But I figured it was just because I'm getting older and soberer.

But all-in-all, I had a great day.

skobabe8
04-09-2009, 07:30 PM
This was not my first opening day, but this was my first opening day where I've been angered by the way things went. Never been turned away from a lot, never had to wait 1/2 an hour to get into the stadium when the gates opened hours ago, etc...

And what "Research" am I supposed to do? Is there a White Sox Home Opener Technical Manual and Fan Guide that I was supposed to read?

whitesox.com or 312-674-1000

Both avenues would have provided you with information on what lots accept cash, how much parking is this year, new policies, etc.

As for the 3 or 4 port-o-potties in the lots, it seems every opening day has around that amount and the lines are always huge. Shouldnt be surprised by that.

sachin
04-12-2009, 05:40 PM
My apologies skobaby8 but the amount of money that is being paid should be equal if not better to the services being provided. That is the basic Customer Service.

My brother and me did not go on Tuesday but rather Wednesday and the service was fine, except for one of the ATM machines being non-operable and there was a very long line.

skobabe8
04-12-2009, 05:53 PM
My apologies skobaby8 but the amount of money that is being paid should be equal if not better to the services being provided. That is the basic Customer Service.

My brother and me did not go on Tuesday but rather Wednesday and the service was fine, except for one of the ATM machines being non-operable and there was a very long line.

Why are you apologizing? :?:

I agree with what you are saying.

Soxfanspcu11
04-12-2009, 06:35 PM
Okay, as someone who goes to at least 20 home games a season and has been to the opener for 5 straight years, I can honestly say I have never been so irritated at a game before.

First, we get to the stadium 2.5 hours before game time, pull up to the lot to park only to be turned away because were paying cash and don’t have a coupon. We have to drive 10 minutes in a circle just to park in the farthest possible lot even though the other lots are almost completely empty. Then as a final kick in the butt parking went up to 23 bucks. Grr.

So we set up the grill and kick back and after a few beers I need to use the washroom. I stand up and look around, no porta pottys in our lot. I walk through two lots to find 3 porta pottys that each have a line of 3 to 4 thousand people in each line. Grr.

So after the 45 minute pee fiasco I go back to the car and we are ready to head into the stadium a full 30 minutes before first pitch. We get to the gates only to see a huge crowd at the gate that does not appear to be moving. After standing in line for 20 minutes we are finally close enough to see that security is shaking down every single person trying to get in. Everything from water bottles to loose change is being taken from fans. I swear I even think I saw a security guard take a half empty bottle of formula from a baby. We finally make it through the gates after missing the intro and first pitch. Grr.

No we are finally in the stadium and I make a bee line for the beer stand for a couple beers before we take our seats. I try to get three beers for me and my friends only to be told that they will only serve me one beer at a time. Grr.

After a few minutes in our seats the beer guy walks by and again I try to get three beers, one for me and my two friends who are unfortunately beerless, only to be told that I cant have one because I already have a half empty beer which I have to chug to get a new one. (I'd say grr hear, but hey, I'll take any excuse to chug a beer.)

I swear, if the next game is as annoying as the opener I will be going to a LOT less games this year. Anyone else find anything irritating about yesterday’s game?

Everything you say here happens all the time at every sold out game. It happened last year, the year before, the year before. There is no new information here.

I understand the frustruation but you should definetly be used to this by now.

pdimas
04-13-2009, 11:53 AM
My only complaint was about the damned idiot who left his big german sheperd in the car with the windows rolled down a bit while he went into the game. It seemed like the guy got there early since his car was parked in the first row outside gate 5. Im guessing he didnt know about the pet check. The poor dog looked miserable.