PDA

View Full Version : 1 I.D. 1 beer policy

John Barrett
04-08-2009, 10:41 AM
the new 1 I.D. 1 beer policy is really over the top- after coming out of the bathroom, i wanted to get a beer for myself and my guest. i could not. also if you buy a beer from a "beer Guy" on the concourse you must be completely finished with your current one. -- I do see thier point be hind the policy - but going fom 4 beers per person down to 1 is extreme. they should at least let you buy 2 at a time so you can bing a beer to a guest/friend- I also talked to a number of beer vendors that said is was a big problem - what do you guys think?

kittle42
04-08-2009, 10:42 AM
The vendors said the policy will go back to normal either today or Friday.

spiffie
04-08-2009, 10:42 AM
The point of a baseball game is to watch baseball not to drink. If getting drunk is that big a deal to people they should probably stay home where they can drink to their heart's content and not get behind the wheel afterwards.

ChiSoxFan81
04-08-2009, 10:44 AM
the new 1 I.D. 1 beer policy is really over the top- after coming out of the bathroom, i wanted to get a beer for myself and my guest. i could not. also if you buy a beer from a "beer Guy" on the concourse you must be completely finished with your current one. -- I do see thier point be hind the policy - but going fom 4 beers per person down to 1 is extreme. they should at least let you buy 2 at a time so you can bing a beer to a guest/friend- I also talked to a number of beer vendors that said is was a big problem - what do you guys think?

Yeah, that is ridiculous. Why should every person who wants a beer be inconvenienced by having to miss part of the game when one person can go run for 2-4 people? Or why should you have to chug the rest of your beer to get another one? It is each person's responsibility to drink responsibly and not buy for minors. If they misbehave, it's on them. A few bad apples spoiling the barrel again. Geez.

Jim Shorts
04-08-2009, 10:45 AM
The point of a baseball game is to watch baseball not to drink. If getting drunk is that big a deal to people they should probably stay home where they can drink to their heart's content and not get behind the wheel afterwards.

Oh for ****s sake....

It's Dankerific
04-08-2009, 10:46 AM
I usually buy the beer for the person that comes with me to the game. I understand the other limits, but I shouldn't have to carry his/her ID with me when I want to buy beer.

dickallen15
04-08-2009, 10:46 AM

It always amazing me people want to buy the cheapest tickets possible, yet complain if they are forced to sit in those sections even though there are seats for sale where they would rather sit, but those are deemed too expensive.(I am not accusing the starter of this thread of this, but the inevitable 500 level tickets being relagated to the 500 level thread is just around the corner) Yet they have enough money to buy endless $7 Miller beers. Maybe when these people talk about Cubs fans going to Wrigley just to drink that the game is secondary, they should take a look in the mirror. I understand yesterday's policy is a little too strict, but it was only temporary to keep people from getting too wasted like the girl who appeared like she might be dead on the new hill by 35th street after the game. She was down on the ground and her friends weren't getting any response.

sox102
04-08-2009, 10:47 AM

But to not even buy one extra beer for a buddy? Yes there are a bunch of people who are there to get drunk, but there are still a bunch of people just drinking casually. I see the point, too, but that's what happens when you have alcohol and sporting events. Few bad apples ruin it for everyone else. Hope the policy changes, as I'm sure it will be put in place for the higher profile games (OD, Sox/Cubs, etc). :gulp::gulp:

kittle42
04-08-2009, 10:47 AM
Or why should you have to chug the rest of your beer to get another one?

THIS is the main issue...the policy is to try to reduce consumption, yet I saw over and over again vendors just telling (and waiting for) guys to chug their beers just to get another one. In essence, this is creating QUICKER drinking.

John Barrett
04-08-2009, 10:48 AM

Whoa spiff- didn't ask what the point of baseball was nor said anything about getting drunk...

twsoxfan5
04-08-2009, 10:49 AM

I don't think that is the posters point. I think they are saying you should be able to buy a beer for yourself and a guest and I agree with him. However I don't mind them doing it for opening day and other big games b/c those are always amateur hour.

I went to the game yesterday and had a few beers, but getting drunk was not my main focus and I wanted to buy a beer for myself and my sister I could not b/c she was not there. Again I understand why the policy is in place but I think you are painting with a broad brush here.

ChiSoxFan81
04-08-2009, 10:49 AM

I only do a shot every time DeWayne Wise swings and misses......

RedHeadPaleHoser
04-08-2009, 10:55 AM
I only do a shot every time DeWayne Wise swings and misses......

So you were comatose, what, 4th inning? :D:

champagne030
04-08-2009, 10:56 AM
The vendors said the policy will go back to normal either today or Friday.

A vendor on the concourse told me it was a season long policy. He may have been wrong, but the policy was surely not enforced in the two seating sections where I was sitting (111/102).

JNS
04-08-2009, 11:05 AM
I didn't see anything approaching that policy and I was in the cheap seats upstairs way down by the LF foul pole.

I would imagine that this is just for opening day. I remember an opening day during the Veeck years - late 70s - when a bunch of guys had a rolling or ongoing fight a few rows above us. It went on intermittently for a bunch of innings. By coincidence, I knew one of the guys involved from work. When I saw him the next day he looked awful - hung over, with a huge shiner and other black and blue markings on his face and arms.

He told me that once the Yellowshirts (the color of the windbreakers security - mainly off-duty cops - wore in those days) had finally broken the fight up, the took the two main participants up to the roof above the old football pressbox, formed a circle around them and told them "before we take your asses to jail we think you should finish it off - now FIGHT!"

So they made them swing at each other for a while and then sent them to the tank for the night.

Just a long-winded way of saying that limiting beer on opening day is OK, as long as you relax the policy later on.

twsoxfan5
04-08-2009, 11:11 AM
A vendor on the concourse told me it was a season long policy. He may have been wrong, but the policy was surely not enforced in the two seating sections where I was sitting (111/102).

The vendor told me it was a concourse only policy, which is where I was trying to buy. I was not restricted in my seat or when I bought it at the Mexican place.

eastchicagosoxfan
04-08-2009, 11:21 AM
THIS is the main issue...the policy is to try to reduce consumption, yet I saw over and over again vendors just telling (and waiting for) guys to chug their beers just to get another one. In essence, this is creating QUICKER drinking.
I saw this too. The vendor told a guy to finish his beer and he would sell him another. I had no problem buying two beers at once on the concourse at the World of Beers stand. My buddy and I each purchased two beers. For whatever it's worth, I'n in the beer industry, and I have no problem with the policy. It's a good faith effort, although the vendors will continue to operate in their self-interest until directed otherwise. If you want to go to the ballgame and spend $50 to get Jaked, you still can. You just have to work it a bit harder.

John Barrett
04-08-2009, 11:26 AM
The vendor told me it was a concourse only policy, which is where I was trying to buy. I was not restricted in my seat or when I bought it at the Mexican place.

- I had to have my guest with me to buy 2 in the bullpen bar-- the plan was he would find a place to sit/stand -i would get the beers --- nope

voodoochile
04-08-2009, 01:02 PM
Some of this is actually state law. Per the changes in drinking laws a long time ago (which also banned happy hour pricing) bars are not allowed to sell more than one drink at a time to a person (shot and a beer being an exception as is any hard liquor with a beer chaser as they are considered one drink). You cannot sit down at a bar and legally order a pitcher of beer by yourself (for example) or have the bartender line up 6 shots of tequila for you to drink in rapid succession. You have to finish each drink (or almost) before you can get another one. Not surprised they finally started enforcing this rule at the ballpark. The other is simply to prevent underage drinking I am sure. How many people buy beers for their underage friends by going to the concourse and bringing back more than one beer.

Oh and please, don't turn this thread into a discussion of the merits or not of drinking. People who enjoy a beer or two at the game should be allowed to do so. No one should be judged for that behavior so long as they are responsible or have a designated driver if they aren't. Making other assumptions merely makes the person making said assumptions look like... well... you know what they say about assuming...

BRDSR
04-08-2009, 01:24 PM
For what it's worth, I was watching the Blue Jays broadcast last night, and the announcers noted that attendance was down because they were not allowed to serve beer at that particular game and a few more during the course of the season. Apparently this had been imposed as a sanction against the owners of the stadium (not the owners of the team) had allowed alcohol to be served to underage persons.

Don't want to see that happen with the Sox. Not only would it make beer consumption more difficult, but the reduced attendance would reduce revenue and make the team less competitive.

Jerko
04-08-2009, 01:26 PM

Vendor told me it was a season long policy as well, but I'm skeptical. She also told me that the policy only starts when the game does, and that you can still get more than one beer from the permanent stands. They did something like this a few years ago on Monday Night Fight Nights, so I predict it will change soon.

roylestillman
04-08-2009, 01:30 PM
I was buying my round of beers yesterday at my seats and said "three beers" to the vendor that came by. He stopped and told me that when ordering beer, those wanting beer have to "raise their hands." New rule he said.

I looked at him funny

He looked at us funny.

And the three of us raised our hands like we were asking Sister Amelia permission to go to the boy's room.

johnnyg83
04-08-2009, 01:42 PM
I understand yesterday's policy is a little too strict, but it was only temporary to keep people from getting too wasted like the girl who appeared like she might be dead on the new hill by 35th street after the game. She was down on the ground and her friends weren't getting any response.

So there's one person who slipped through a policy loophole.

twentywontowin
04-08-2009, 01:43 PM
Definitely was only able to buy two beers per ID yesterday from the concession stands near Sec. 101. Complete BS for when there is three of us in a group and two of us have to get up and get the beer. Then try explaining to the vendor "OK, I'm going to buy two, he is going to buy one, but he is going to pay for all three in two seperate transactions". It's like explaining math to my dog.

The finishing your beer rule wasn't enforced on us, as I had two full beers to myself at one point, and ordered a third at my seat from the vendor.

Illini Stripes
04-08-2009, 02:06 PM
We had no problem buying 2-3 beers at one time but we had to "raise our hands" for those who were getting the beer. Pretty silly IMO! :scratch:

It's Dankerific
04-08-2009, 02:08 PM
I can't wait till the RF-implanted over-21 chips.

Woofer
04-08-2009, 02:19 PM
I didn't drink at the game yesterday, but I thought that the vendors were checking to see who was getting the beers closer than usual. I also heard the guy behind me question the beer vendor about why he couldn't have another beer because his other one wasn't finished? That seems a bit lame to me. It will encourage those drinking just to drink faster.

It's Dankerific
04-08-2009, 02:24 PM

I didn't drink at the game yesterday, but I thought that the vendors were checking to see who was getting the beers closer than usual. I also heard the guy behind me question the beer vendor about why he couldn't have another beer because his other one wasn't finished? That seems a bit lame to me. It will encourage those drinking just to drink faster.

I thought about that. Sometimes, people insist on buying me a beer. I drink slower than they do so I oftentimes have a half of a beer left. In the past, I'd get a new one and finish my old one. At some point, my friend would kill my extra beer so as not to be wasteful. I am sure, if at the game and treated as described, I would be pressured to drink faster/chug my beer and end up drinking much more than usual.

soltrain21
04-08-2009, 02:53 PM
Heaven forbid they try to stop underaged drinking. I understand this makes things harder for everybody, but watching 18 year olds get wasted was pretty ****ing annoying.

kevingrt
04-08-2009, 03:10 PM
Heaven forbid they try to stop underaged drinking. I understand this makes things harder for everybody, but watching 18 year olds get wasted was pretty ****ing annoying.

Completely agree. Too many times last year I saw kids underage drinking and making it known they were underage. Now yes I am 21 and did drink underage (never actually in the Cell) but when inside the Cell and you see people there just to get drunk and annoy everyone around them it is rather annoying.

But I do understand the original posters complaint. Maybe they should have a policy where if you are over the age of 30 you can buy two beers assuming you hang out with people your age about. I know that is discriminatory but if you are 21 or 22 there is a better chance you are trying to buy a beer for a 20 year old then if you are 50 and buying two beers.

Tough position for the people that make these decisions but I cannot fault them for instituting this policy. But it does suck if you are trying to be nice to a friend and buy him a beer and you simply cannot.

twsoxfan5
04-08-2009, 03:13 PM

Again this is not what this is about. No one really wants 18 year olds getting wasted but my guess is they can still do it one beer at a time. People are talking about the fact that it is annoying that they can't buy a beer for them and their friend/friends. This is not life or death for anyone we are just discussing that it is a little annoying.

Jerko
04-08-2009, 03:32 PM
These rules, though they mean well, are useless IMO. I guarantee whoever was there yesterday already has a plan devised to get around them. It's not that hard. And I really don't think it has much to do with curbing underage drinking. Nobody is gonna follow me around after I buy my one beer, I could give that to a minor while my friend is at a different stand buying 2 for us. ***.

amsteel
04-08-2009, 04:06 PM
It sucks, but if it cuts down on drunken idiocy, I'm all for it. However, this just means more people will drink more in the parking lots before the game, since I've never seen any type of enforcement there unless it was really out of hand. Oh well, there will always be people who spoil it for others.

CashMan
04-08-2009, 04:10 PM
I had no problems with having to finish my beer before I could order a new one, granted I was in the skyline bar.

Redus Redux

Beer sales pay for yr free agents, paid for yr '05 World Series high payroll.

It may be ugly to some but that's the reality of what pro sports are now. The team has to pile up revenue. For this reason i'm really surprised they'd do this as 1 ID per beer has to really cut into their profit.

Soxaholic
The new beer rules are:

-Before the National Anthem, beer seat vendors are allowed to serve 2 beers per ID. After the anthem, the seat vendors are allowed to serve 1 beer per ID.

-On the concourse, there is a limit of 2 beers per ID at all times.

-A vendor does not have to serve a customer 2 beers (or any) if he/she does not feel comfortable to do so.

The reasons behind this are not to try to limit beer sales. (They do make a boat load of money on beer, after all.) They are obviously trying to limit under age drinking any way they can. I know its impossible but it does deter them somewhat from having someone go to five different stands and missing over half the game just on beer runs for teenagers.

Also, they want to see how the alcohol is effecting each guest. If someone could only handle 1 more beer, that second one might send someone on the road to a hospital on the trip home.

I know that these rules are more strict than we are used to, but from the vendors I have spoke to, the White Sox were one of the last teams to change to this policy. (And don't shoot the messenger!)

Redus Redux
04-08-2009, 04:14 PM
The whole eye-test is garbage anyway. The biggest drunks I know get up there to order a new one, and they'll turn into freaking Julliard trained actors giving the performance of a lifetime to appear non-drunk and capable of another.

In short, people can usually hide it well. But for those that cant, yeah that's pathetic enough where you absolutely cut em off.

kevingrt
04-08-2009, 04:28 PM
The new beer rules are:

-Before the National Anthem, beer seat vendors are allowed to serve 2 beers per ID. After the anthem, the seat vendors are allowed to serve 1 beer per ID.

-A vendor does not have to serve a customer 2 beers (or any) if he/she does not feel comfortable to do so.

The reasons behind this are not to try to limit beer sales. (They do make a boat load of money on beer, after all.) They are obviously trying to limit under age drinking any way they can. I know its impossible but it does deter them somewhat from having someone go to five different stands and missing over half the game just on beer runs for teenagers.

Also, they want to see how the alcohol is effecting each guest. If someone could only handle 1 more beer, that second one might send someone on the road to a hospital on the trip home.

I know that these rules are more strict than we are used to, but from the vendors I have spoke to, the White Sox were one of the last teams to change to this policy. (And don't shoot the messenger!)

Don't we all love insiders?

Thanks for the info though.

TomC727
04-08-2009, 04:49 PM
It always amazing me people want to buy the cheapest tickets possible, yet complain if they are forced to sit in those sections even though there are seats for sale where they would rather sit, but those are deemed too expensive.(I am not accusing the starter of this thread of this, but the inevitable 500 level tickets being relagated to the 500 level thread is just around the corner) Yet they have enough money to buy endless $7 Miller beers. Maybe when these people talk about Cubs fans going to Wrigley just to drink that the game is secondary, they should take a look in the mirror. I understand yesterday's policy is a little too strict, but it was only temporary to keep people from getting too wasted like the girl who appeared like she might be dead on the new hill by 35th street after the game. She was down on the ground and her friends weren't getting any response.

I have yet to understand how people can complain about the price of tickets at certain levels but buy 3-4 $7 beers. Baseball games are for watching baseball.

jmeneghini1433
04-08-2009, 05:31 PM
I was down for the patio party pregame and they were giving two beers per person.:gulp:

kittle42
04-08-2009, 05:35 PM
I have yet to understand how people can complain about the price of tickets at certain levels but buy 3-4 $7 beers. Baseball games are for watching baseball.

Despite being someone who enjoys going to Friday night games and getting drunk, I completely agree with you.

Red Barchetta
04-08-2009, 05:36 PM

:rolleyes: And this politically correct commercial was brought to you by...(insert your own organization).

This was an honest question and does not assume everyone purchasing a beer is a raging alcoholic, rather responsible adults who shouldn't have to wait in a line twice!

Of course they are there to watch the game. Well Duh! Of course if I wanted to drink to my heart's content I would stay home and watch the game on TV and not drive. However that was not the question.

The question is if I go to a game with my 75-year old mother and I want to buy her a beer, why can't I do that as a responsible adult?! Another example of the responsible majority being punished by the actions of the irresponsible few.

Please, go back to your church if you want to preach! :angry:

FoulTerritory
04-08-2009, 05:44 PM

This post is so far beyond the pale of logical discussion . . . your point is not even the subject of this discussion.

I mean, movie theaters are for watching movies, not eating popcorn. Does that mean i can't complain if a theater serves me stale popcorn, or raises the price, or runs out, or uses fake butter, or won't let me take it into the theater?

What baseball games are for does not mean that peripheral aspects of the experience can't be discussed and/or complained about.

Red Barchetta
04-08-2009, 05:47 PM
The new beer rules are:

That's a legitimate concern and I applause the SOX organization in trying to reduce under age drinking. However, it's still sad that if I'm sitting with three adults and I ask to buy 4 beers from a vendor, that one of the other three adults needs to show an ID. I hate to see adult discretion go out the window due to a policy.

TomBradley72
04-08-2009, 06:03 PM

We have our first judgemental post of the season!

So if I want to buy my father a beer (so need to buy 2 at a time)...I'm a drunk? So if I want to replenish my beer before returning to my seat so I can focus on the game...I'm a drunk?

Cancel all the beer sponsors for MLB!

OldRomanPizza
04-08-2009, 06:40 PM
How many Mai Tais per ID after the National Anthem in the seats?

TheCommander
04-08-2009, 06:41 PM

:tealtutor:

twentywontowin
04-08-2009, 07:15 PM

United Center Mai Tai's are nuts. They definitely don't skimp on the booze. I don't even bother getting beers there.

kevingrt
04-08-2009, 07:30 PM
We have our first judgemental post of the season!

So if I want to buy my father a beer (so need to buy 2 at a time)...I'm a drunk? So if I want to replenish my beer before returning to my seat so I can focus on the game...I'm a drunk?

Cancel all the beer sponsors for MLB!

First? Did you just come here in April?

Law11
04-08-2009, 10:44 PM
As of tonights game they were strictly enforcing it.
Asked the vendor if it was true anyone holding a beer couldnt be given a new one he said yep.. Even just a swig left . I asked him doesnt it defeat the purpose then if a guy chugs a beer just to get a new one? He said he tells the guys take your time I'll be back. Said they started it at Soldier Field this year
and beer guys are losing a ton of money over this because if they dont enforce it they are fired from sportservice and cant work any of the venues period.

CMPDragRacing
04-09-2009, 01:54 AM

thats why i get the cheep ticket so that i can load up on the expensive beer. go through a 12er in the lot then a bunch inside then off to a bar to consume another 12er.

IlliniSox4Life
04-09-2009, 03:02 AM
I think there is very little that the White Sox can actually do to stop underage people from being drunk in the cell. Expensive beers are the most realistic measure, and they are already expensive enough. Most kids can't afford to get drunk at that price. I guarantee that almost any overly drunk underage person consumed about 75% of their alcohol outside of the stadium before the game. The couple of beers they get inside are what put them over the edge, but it's almost impossible to stop that without cutting out beer sales all together.

spiffie
04-09-2009, 05:15 AM
Hopefully the next thing the Sox will do then is to start cracking down on the lots outside of the stadium. I realize it would probably be logistically impossible, but it is a shame they can't set up checkpoints at the exits of all the lots. Anyone who blows over .08 gets hit with a DUI. Since really, it defeats the purpose of all of this when someone goes and downs another six pack after the game in the Sox parking lot and then drives out.

I don't mean to be a prude. Once in a while on a hot summer day at the park I'll have a Mike's Hard Lemonade, but for so many people the whole point of going to the game seems to be to get slobbering drunk. I can understand why the Sox want to curb this as much as possible. If that means inconveniencing more responsible drinkers, well, that's when you have to remember why you're there. As long as the grass is green and the White Sox are playing, why get worked up about anything else?

RealFan
04-09-2009, 08:27 AM
hopefully the next thing the sox will do then is to start cracking down on the lots outside of the stadium. I realize it would probably be logistically impossible, but it is a shame they can't set up checkpoints at the exits of all the lots. Anyone who blows over .08 gets hit with a dui. Since really, it defeats the purpose of all of this when someone goes and downs another six pack after the game in the sox parking lot and then drives out.

I don't mean to be a prude. Once in a while on a hot summer day at the park i'll have a mike's hard lemonade, but for so many people the whole point of going to the game seems to be to get slobbering drunk. I can understand why the sox want to curb this as much as possible. If that means inconveniencing more responsible drinkers, well, that's when you have to remember why you're there. As long as the grass is green and the white sox are playing, why get worked up about anything else?

+ 1

thepaulbowski
04-09-2009, 10:27 AM

Dumbest. Post. Ever. How does wanting to buy more than 1 beer go into getting drunk and driving home?

Chicken Dinner
04-09-2009, 10:59 AM
Dumbest. Post. Ever. How does wanting to buy more than 1 beer go into getting drunk and driving home?

Agreed. I thought the Red Line stopped at the park. :?:

Jerko
04-09-2009, 06:47 PM
Policy was gone today FWIW. Lasted 2 games. They may bring it back for crowded days, but it was in the wind for today's game.

kitekrazy
04-09-2009, 08:54 PM
How many beers does it take for a fool to spend $7 on a beer?

kittle42
04-09-2009, 09:11 PM
How many beers does it take for a fool to spend $7 on a beer?

Under this standard, one is a fool is he buys pretty much anything at any sporting event, or at the movies.