PDA

View Full Version : Pronunciation: Alexei Ramirez?

BoysMom3
04-08-2009, 09:44 AM
I'm sorry if there is already a thread about this, but I looked and didn't see one. I'm very confused about how to pronounce Alexei's name now. The announcers called him Uh-Lex-Ee at first. Then it was Uh-Lex-Ay. Yesterday they were all calling him Alice-ay. ???

ChiSoxFan81
04-08-2009, 09:45 AM
Yeah, I guess that's how he wants it pronounced. I just shake my head every time DJ tries saying his name on the radio, because it's always something different. He just can't get it right.

spawn
04-08-2009, 09:48 AM
Yeah, I guess that's how he wants it pronounced.
It's not a matter of how he wants it pronounced. It's how it is pronounced. Per Hawk, his name was pronounced incorrectly all season, and Alexei cleared the air on the correct pronunciation.

UofCSoxFan
04-08-2009, 09:52 AM
I'm sorry if there is already a thread about this, but I looked and didn't see one. I'm very confused about how to pronounce Alexei's name now. The announcers called him Uh-Lex-Ee at first. Then it was Uh-Lex-Ay. Yesterday they were all calling him Alice-ay. ???

Yes..."Alice-Say" is the pronounciation. Apparently Alexei talked to Hawk (or his interpretor did) over the offseason.

I only got as far as freshman year in college in Spanish, and have forgotten most of it, but I'm not too suprised because if IIRC there is no "ex" sound in Spanish. Even "Mexico" is prounenced "Me hi co." I thought "Alex ay" was wrong last year but would have guessed it prounced something more like "A lace A eee, which may not be too far off "Alice-say"

I'm sure there are far better Spansih speakers on this board that could comment better on this than me.

BoysMom3
04-08-2009, 09:52 AM
Thanks, Spawn - I wondered if Alexei said something about it being pronounced incorrectly. But that's what I wondered when it went from Uh-Lex-Ee to Uh-Lex-Ay. So yesterday I was like...???? Gotta get that mental change going again, tehe. However you pronounce his name, I love that guy! :D:

ChiSoxFan81
04-08-2009, 09:54 AM
It's not a matter of how he wants it pronounced. It's how it is pronounced. Per Hawk, his name was pronounced incorrectly all season, and he Alexei cleared the air on the correct pronunciation.

Well, obviously he would want it pronounced how it is supposed to be. It's his name, I think he would know. I was trying to explain to the OP without confusing her even more.

Viva Medias B's
04-08-2009, 07:15 PM
Hawk just said the pronounciation is back to Uh-Lex-Eee, and Steve said Alexei wasn't hitting anything as Alice-say.

BoysMom3
04-08-2009, 07:52 PM
What?! Now I thought I just heard him say Uh-Lex-Ay. What is the proper pronunciation already?!!

nug0hs
04-08-2009, 08:44 PM
Proper pronunciation (as of a few weeks ago) is "Alice-ay", or "Alize", like the booze.

EuroSox35
04-08-2009, 09:32 PM
As Viva said, it went back to last year's pronunciation. Superstition about not wanting to change something from last year after a good year for Alexei

BoysMom3
04-08-2009, 09:40 PM
Superstitions are so overrated. I just want to know how you really say his name so I can say it right!

Konerko05
04-08-2009, 11:10 PM
I think Hawk is just losing it.

PaleHoser
04-09-2009, 08:42 AM
I recall Ozzie going through the same thing his rookie year.

Apparently the Spanish dialect in Venezuela pronounces "ll" as a 'jsh' rather than a 'y'. So announcers were going back and forth between "Geyen" and "Gejshen" for a few weeks.

Perhaps the announcers should take a queue from this forum and just refer to him as "TCM"?

guillensdisciple
04-09-2009, 10:40 AM
eh-LEX-ei. Back to normal, and thank you, the A-li-sei thing wasn't going to work out that well. Hopefully this name change gets him to hit a little better. :D:

SoxyStu
04-09-2009, 11:18 AM
I think Hawk is just losing it.

That man has lost it....a long time ago.