PDA

View Full Version : Out-of-town Scoreboard: HUGE dissapointment

bennyw41
04-07-2009, 06:36 PM
I can't believe how busy and hard to read the new scoreboard is. I was super excited to see it, and now I'm totally bummed. I sit in section 335, so, directly across from it. It shouldn't be that hard to read. I am not just complaining because its new, I love new, I love change.....

1. Writing is too small, I know I have bad eyes, but its ridiculous.
2. WAY too much going on, there are at least 5 areas you need to focus in on...
3. And they are always rotating, you can't read anything.
4. The pitch speed and the pitch count are on top of each other, and they are hard to decipher.

I hope they do something about it.

robertks61
04-07-2009, 07:00 PM
I agree, some of the green lettering with the black background is un-readable from afar.

Also no scores between innings, just advertisement.

kittle42
04-07-2009, 07:14 PM
I wanted to like it, but the only thing I liked was the video when guys were being introduced.

doogiec
04-07-2009, 07:21 PM
The 70 year old manual scoreboard at Wrigley does a better job of informing you what is going on around the league.

If they are going to only show 4 games at a time, and often interrupt that for ads or cartoons or to play player intros, they need to find somewhere else to post out of town scores.

I've been to many other ballparks. I used to think that the Sox wasted more scoreboard space than any other ballpark. Now I'm sure of it.

In this day and age, there is no excuse for not having every out of town game displayed somewhere in the park, in legible fonts.

kittle42
04-07-2009, 07:24 PM
I've been to many other ballparks. I used to think that the Sox wasted more scoreboard space than any other ballpark. Now I'm sure of it.

They did nothing - NOTHING - with the extra space on the LF board. Just stupid.

dakuda
04-07-2009, 07:25 PM
I agree, some of the green lettering with the black background is un-readable from afar.

Also no scores between innings, just advertisement.

That doesn't sound too good for me. Green and black are really hard for me to tell apart. Same with dark blues and black. I can't really blame them, since they are not supposed to cater to me. It is just something I will have to deal with.

roylestillman
04-07-2009, 07:36 PM
Plusses: It was great to have both lineups posted including who's next up even in when the team isn't batting. Graphics/Video nice...but what's the main board for.

Negatives: As pointed out the in game features are unreadable. I was in 156 and I couldn't make out any of the AB's or pitchers. The rolling scores drove me crazy. The only time I like to look at the out of town scores is between innings and that has been taken away.

I agree a major rework is needed here.

kaufsox
04-07-2009, 07:37 PM
bummer. I was really hoping that it would be an improvement to the old one. Even though the old one was slow, at least it kept the scores up without ads. I'll get a first hand look Saturday, but it doesn't bode well.

kevingrt
04-07-2009, 07:45 PM
I was in the Upper Deck section 529 and it was near impossible to read the out of town scores. Just terrible. The two line-ups were nice but that was it. Very poor job. I hope they can do something about it.

Rdy2PlayBall
04-07-2009, 07:47 PM
I was in the Upper Deck section 529 and it was near impossible to read the out of town scores. Just terrible. The two line-ups were nice but that was it. Very poor job. I hope they can do something about it.Where were the scores? Every time I looked there was the who teams cities... then nothing next to them. :scratch:

Soxfanspcu11
04-07-2009, 07:47 PM
Couldn't make the game today despite being a Full Season Ticket holder because of work so I didn't get a chance to see it. However, let's not forget that Brooks is well aware of this board so if We make our complaints vocal enough, perhaps they will change it.

Once I see it, I will chime in Myself.

thegooch
04-07-2009, 08:44 PM
mrfourni and I were in section 529 and we couldn't make anything out on the new scoreboard. It was too busy, and very confusing. Maybe it will get better over time? I certainly hope so. Huge letdown.

04-07-2009, 08:56 PM
Maybe it will look better at night.

Madvora
04-07-2009, 09:05 PM
Interesting to hear about this. Maybe the Sox should hear about it.
I'm not going to any games too soon, but I'd like to read a few more reviews during these first few games.
If it's still getting bad reviews, than maybe Brooks should be sent the link to this thread.

soxinem1
04-07-2009, 09:11 PM
I friend of mine went today and said the old OOT scoreboard was better.

I would be curious to hear how the night games view the new board.

Since I'm going Saturday against MIN, I'll see for myself, at least for the day game.

champagne030
04-07-2009, 09:12 PM
It needs improvement, but it's better than what we had.

That said, a guy holding a megaphone would have been better. I'm willing to give them time to work **** out. The video alone is an upgrade.....

chisox77
04-07-2009, 09:21 PM
At least it looks good. It goes real well the rest of the color scheme. So what if no one can read it?

doublem23
04-07-2009, 09:32 PM
Where were the scores? Every time I looked there was the who teams cities... then nothing next to them. :scratch:

Likely because there was only 1 game going on simultaneously with the Sox game.

Brian26
04-07-2009, 09:35 PM
4. The pitch speed and the pitch count are on top of each other, and they are hard to decipher.

I agree with all of this. I was in 524 (even closer to the board than you) and couldn't read the lineups because the text was so small. I think in each of the four out-of-town boxes they listed the probable pitcher, but I had no chance at reading any of those.

Its inconceivable that the Sox didn't test this thing out before the season by having people sit around the park and try to read it in various sections.

The way it is set up right now, its a complete waste of space. The good news is that, because its a video board, they can fix this.

ChiSoxGirl
04-07-2009, 09:37 PM
I can't believe how busy and hard to read the new scoreboard is. I was super excited to see it, and now I'm totally bummed. I sit in section 335, so, directly across from it. It shouldn't be that hard to read. I am not just complaining because its new, I love new, I love change.....

I hope they do something about it.

I'm glad you posted this; I thought it was just me. I was trying to get back into mid-season form watching the game, scoring it, and texting at the same time, all while trying to figure things out on the out-of-town scoreboard. I thought the font was too small and had a hard time seeing everything from Sec. 350. I chalked it up to it being new and me being "out of practice" from doing so many things at once at the ballpark, but I guess not. Maybe everything will be easier to decipher and digest if I'm not focused on scoring the game and dividing my attention in so many different directions while watching the game, but I guess we'll see. I'm going back tomorrow night, so maybe it'll be a little easier to read when the sun isn't in my face.

DaveFeelsRight
04-07-2009, 09:38 PM
there werent any scores because the games didnt start yet. i was in section 159 and i could read it clear as day.

oeo
04-07-2009, 09:38 PM
They did nothing - NOTHING - with the extra space on the LF board. Just stupid.

So what is on it? Why do they need the lineups on the new board? Why not just put them both on the LF board, and just the use the new one for out of town scores? Make them bigger so you can read it, rotate between AL/NL if you have to.

PicktoCLick72
04-07-2009, 09:40 PM
I so no problem with it from 146. With only one other game goingon, i didn't find much use for it today.

Woofer
04-07-2009, 10:07 PM
I liked the idea of the new board, but I was sort of disappointed. I liked that the lineups were there, but the pitch count and pitch speed were hard to read. (Too small) Like somone else said, maybe it will be easier to see at night.

Frankfan4life
04-07-2009, 10:28 PM
I agree with all of this. I was in 524 (even closer to the board than you) and couldn't read the lineups because the text was so small. I think in each of the four out-of-town boxes they listed the probable pitcher, but I had no chance at reading any of those.

Its inconceivable that the Sox didn't test this thing out before the season by having people sit around the park and try to read it in various sections.

The way it is set up right now, its a complete waste of space. The good news is that, because its a video board, they can fix this.
I certainly hope so. I was deeply disappointed with the new out of town scoreboard. I was in Section 548 and I gave up looking at it after a while because I couldn't tell what was going on. It was very confusing and the lettering was way too small. I couldn't even read the lineups. I admit I have poor eyesight, even with corrective lenses, but I was able to read the Tampa Bay Rays out of town scoreboard (great scoreboard by the way) from about an equal distance with no problems. White Sox, get this thing fixed, PUHLEEZ!

rdivaldi
04-07-2009, 11:02 PM
I was in section 538 and I could read it just fine. Granted I do have 20/20 vision, but I thought it was a massive improvement from the old one.

SOXfnNlansing
04-08-2009, 12:25 AM
Where I was sitting (sec108) I couldn't really see it. I'll pass judgement for myself tomorrow night when I'm back in my own seats. From what I read here, it's probably going to be a big disappointment.

whitesox901
04-08-2009, 03:41 AM
interesting reviews, I'll have to give it my own Thursday :thumbsup:

artwestland
04-08-2009, 04:33 AM
Even if the updates were slow, the old one was much better. The "rotating" information where only 4 or 6 or whatever games show at a time is ridiculous.

Old right field scoreboard: For every out-of-town game: Inning (top/bottom), Score, Starting Pitcher, Current Pitcher. It was displayed constantly and scores didn't move around.

New right field scoreboard: Only 4-6 games displayed at a time (bad idea). The games keep moving around on the scoreboard (bad idea). Sometimes all the out-of-town game info goes away for ads, etc (bad idea).

Also, the numbers for the pitch counts/speed are way too small. It was funny hearing conversations around me in section 531: "He only has 60 pitches?" Reply: "No it says 80!" like some bad sitcom in a retirement community.

The one good feature, especially if you're in the huge number seats where the left field scoreboard is blocked by the Fundamentals Deck: home and away lineups are shown throughout the whole game.

dickallen15
04-08-2009, 07:29 AM
I was in 328 and although I could read it, it was pretty difficult. The fonts are very small. Most in my section had the same problem. My eyesight is pretty good. The green was hard to read, I don't know if that was because it was extra bright yesterday or not. Its very nice if you can read it, and obviously just an extra video board if you can't. I would say the majority cannot read it easily.

soxgirl617
04-08-2009, 07:39 AM
And I thought it was just me! I sit directly across the field from the new board, at third base in the club level, and I had trouble reading a lot of the information. I wear contacts, so my vision is corrected to close to 20/20.

Pros, IMHO: good video, great to have the lineups. I appreciate the attempt to improve the available information.

Cons: very difficult to read anything on the out of town games (although once games started I could at least read the scores of those games, quite easily), the rotation of the out of town game information is much too fast.

A general comment: I am really tired of ads taking over space that should/could be used to present baseball information. I truly understand that ad revenue is necessary, so I know that there will always be some ads. However, there is almost no space anymore at the park for information about the game! It's very frustrating. Again, I understand ads are necessary, but I feel it's gotten out of hand.

skobabe8
04-08-2009, 08:17 AM
Couldn't make the game today despite being a Full Season Ticket holder because of work so I didn't get a chance to see it. However, let's not forget that Brooks is well aware of this board so if We make our complaints vocal enough, perhaps they will change it.

Once I see it, I will chime in Myself.

I was just going to say that if a certain Sox employes doesn't get any of this feedback, nothing will be done.

I plan to email him after the game Friday about it, good or bad.

skobabe8
04-08-2009, 08:26 AM
By the way, I knew this new board was going to be a problem when details were first released. I was really hoping for a simple board that was not LED because when it comes down to it around here, people simply want to see 2 things: 1. all the scores, and 2. have them updated. If the old board did that, I don't think too many people would have complained. But with these new LED boards you get rotating games, adds, and information overload.

But I really shouldnt judge it until I see it.

anewman35
04-08-2009, 08:47 AM
By the way, I knew this new board was going to be a problem when details were first released. I was really hoping for a simple board that was not LED because when it comes down to it around here, people simply want to see 2 things: 1. all the scores, and 2. have them updated. If the old board did that, I don't think too many people would have complained. But with these new LED boards you get rotating games, adds, and information overload.

But I really shouldnt judge it until I see it.

Yeah, I agree - I said at one point maybe they should switch the boards and make the old one in left the OOT board, because this one had too much chance of misuse. Sounds like that's the case. I love the Cell, but even with this addition we're missing out on the kind of massive boards some newer places. Ah well, at least we have better baseball :D:

SoxFan78
04-08-2009, 09:19 AM
I think they can make the line ups a little smaller while increasing the actual OOT scores. I was sitting in the 18th row in the upper deck and could not tell the names of the pitchers or the exact pitch count and speed. The video was pretty cool, but I think some changes should be made.

Im glad im not the only one that had minor problems with it!

Jerko
04-08-2009, 10:10 AM
Fan deck blocked my view of the new board, but what got me was that the lineups weren't consistently posted on the left field screen where they used to be. It had the batter's name and stats on there while he was batting, as in years past, but I could not see the lineups on either board during the game. Granted I only looked up there (LF board) a few times so i MAY have missed it.

Woofer
04-08-2009, 11:48 AM
Fan deck blocked my view of the new board, but what got me was that the lineups weren't consistently posted on the left field screen where they used to be. It had the batter's name and stats on there while he was batting, as in years past, but I could not see the lineups on either board during the game. Granted I only looked up there (LF board) a few times so i MAY have missed it.

Yes, I wondered if I just kept missing when I looked for it there also.

HomeFish
04-08-2009, 11:50 AM
Since it is completely digital, they could easily fix it, right?

oeo
04-08-2009, 11:54 AM
Since it is completely digital, they could easily fix it, right?

I don't see why not. Just a matter of how they want to set it up.

Dibbs
04-08-2009, 01:14 PM
Looking back on it now, can we have the old board back? :D:

Soxaredabest
04-08-2009, 01:19 PM
Looking back on it now, can we have the old board back? :D:

hahaha, aren't we picky

doublem23
04-08-2009, 01:22 PM
hahaha, aren't we picky

You know, when you think about it, the problems with the old board were just how slow the Sox were at keeping it up to date, but it was a sentimental favorite of mine... It's basically one of the very few features of the park that remained unchanged throughout its history, bullpens have been moved, seats have changed color, new scoreboards have been added everywhere, but the old out of town scoreboard was a throwback to the park's original days.

I'll miss it. Hopefully, though, the Sox can correct the problems with the new scoreboard and this will all be moot.

skobabe8
04-08-2009, 01:23 PM
hahaha, aren't we picky

We are THE WORST!! :redneck Never happy!

skobabe8
04-08-2009, 01:25 PM
You know, when you think about it, the problems with the old board were just how slow the Sox were at keeping it up to date, but it was a sentimental favorite of mine... It's basically one of the very few features of the park that has remained unchanged throughout its history, bullpens have been moved, seats have changed color, new scoreboards have been added everywhere, but the old out of town scoreboard was a throwback to the park's original days.

I'll miss it. Hopefully, though, the Sox can correct the problems with the new scoreboard and this will all be moot.

Thats what I was saying. If the old board had lightning fast updates, no one would have ever complained about it. The complaints about the style and base runners for the OOT games were much less frequent than the speed at which it was updated.

bennyw41
04-08-2009, 01:56 PM
We are THE WORST!! :redneck Never happy!

I know you're being silly, but what I don't want is this to become one of those complaints that is just because its new and different.

I really think they have a problem with the board, and think it needs to change. Not revert, but change for the positive.

Juice16
04-08-2009, 01:59 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only one. During the pre-game, they discussed the new board and how is was state of the art. I couldn't believe how busy and crappy looking it was.

dickallen15
04-08-2009, 02:02 PM
The new scoreboard is beautiful, if you can read it. That is the only problem with it IMO. Maybe it will be easier to read at night or during a cloudy day. It was very bright yesterday.

bennyw41
04-08-2009, 02:07 PM
I agree. It is a beautiful piece of equipment, the graphic layout is the concern.

Foulke You
04-08-2009, 02:49 PM
The new scoreboard is beautiful, if you can read it. That is the only problem with it IMO. Maybe it will be easier to read at night or during a cloudy day. It was very bright yesterday.
Other than the color scheme and the fact that the games rotated too quickly, I thought the new board was fine. As others pointed out, it might be easier to read at night time. It was very bright out yesterday.

Law11
04-08-2009, 10:39 PM
Just got back from tonights game and the board looked awesome to me very easy to read. I posted a pic in my new album on WSI

Herbal
04-08-2009, 10:55 PM
the pitch count and pitch speed were hard to read. (Too small)

They must be paying attention because they changed this to put them side by side, making a grand total or two things I could now read.

ChiSoxGirl
04-08-2009, 10:58 PM
I was sitting in Sec. 159 tonight and found the board easier to follow and read from my vantage point.

SOXfnNlansing
04-08-2009, 11:14 PM
I was in sec110 tonight and was wondering what all the cryin' was yesterday. The board was fine for me to see and follow. :scratch:

ohthosechisox
04-08-2009, 11:23 PM
I also thought the scoreboard looked great tonight. The next game I'm attending though is during the day, so I'll have to note the difference.

Vast improvement over the old out of town scoreboard.

BainesHOF
04-09-2009, 12:32 AM
The scoreboards aren't put there to inform fans. They're there to play commercials between innings.

The between-inning garbage at the park is out of control.

Harry Potter
04-09-2009, 07:13 AM
I thought the scoreboard was much easier to read yesterday then Tuesday. Blame it on day game vs. night game

hi im skot
04-09-2009, 08:10 AM
I thought the scoreboard was much easier to read yesterday then Tuesday. Blame it on day game vs. night game

I think they actually increased the font size in some cases- the pitcher/batter info, as well as the pitch speed and count were all much bigger Wednesday than they were Tuesday.

Looks like someone was reading WSI...

RealFan
04-09-2009, 08:23 AM
Put me down as a fan who wasn't there for opening day but had zippo problems/issues with the scoreboard yesterday. Sounds like there already may been some tweaks made after the opener. I was with a group of people in Section 143 and none of us had any issues reading the board.

Woofer
04-09-2009, 09:31 AM
I was in sec110 tonight and was wondering what all the cryin' was yesterday. The board was fine for me to see and follow. :scratch:

Isn't sec110 almost on top of the new scoreboard? I'm glad to hear that it was easier to see last night.

roylestillman
04-09-2009, 05:06 PM
Plusses: It was great to have both lineups posted including who's next up even in when the team isn't batting. Graphics/Video nice...but what's the main board for.

Negatives: As pointed out the in game features are unreadable. I was in 156 and I couldn't make out any of the AB's or pitchers. The rolling scores drove me crazy. The only time I like to look at the out of town scores is between innings and that has been taken away.

I agree a major rework is needed here.

I take it back. went to the game today and it is much improved. Batters and catchers are in white lettering now and in all caps. Rolling scores have slowed down a bit, too. A solid B now.

SOXfnNlansing
04-09-2009, 06:14 PM
Isn't sec110 almost on top of the new scoreboard? I'm glad to hear that it was easier to see last night.

Section 110 isn't in the outfield. It's on the 1st base side under the Stadium Club. I have a perfect view of everything in the park besides the clock in center field (fan deck obstructs view). I'm glad they have a clock on the new out of town score board.

Fenway
04-09-2009, 06:49 PM
next time White Sox go to www.daktronics.com (http://www.daktronics.com)

White Way just does not have a clue anymore

Viva Medias B's
04-09-2009, 08:53 PM
I was there today and didn't have any problems reading the board from various angles in the ballpark. Meanwhile, before the game started this afternoon, the board still had last night's out of town action as it was when our game last night ended. Eerily, it showed the OAK-LAA score with Nick Adenhart pitching for the Angels.

tsoxman
04-09-2009, 10:16 PM
The 70 year old manual scoreboard at Wrigley does a better job of informing you what is going on around the league.

If they are going to only show 4 games at a time, and often interrupt that for ads or cartoons or to play player intros, they need to find somewhere else to post out of town scores.

In this day and age, there is no excuse for not having every out of town game displayed somewhere in the park, in legible fonts.

I for one was dissapointed to even hear they were even implementing a massive digital screen for the out of town scoreboard, although even this is a big improvement from the old one.. I really wanted to see a retro type of board that shows the basic info along with a diamond that indicates outs and runners on base ala Pittsburgh. The digital board is just too tempting for the graphics people to overuse it for other BS.

DumpJerry
04-09-2009, 11:16 PM
Was at my first game today. Sat on the Fan Deck. The new OOT board is fantastic. Had not trouble whatsoever reading it. It was not hard to follow the out of town games, they rotate clockwise.

soxfan21
04-10-2009, 08:45 AM
The only thing I don't like about the new board is that it blacks out a lot. In each of the last 3 games it has blacked out or done something funny for at least a half an inning or so. Once they fix this everything will be all good.

Dick Allen
04-10-2009, 11:49 AM
Was at the game yesterday and really liked the OOTS. I especially liked that it gives the names of the pitcher and current batter. As soxfan21 posted though, it blacked out in the top of the 8th inning. They definitely need to resolve this issue.

redsand22
04-10-2009, 02:37 PM
I like it as well, it's better than what we had.

robertks61
04-11-2009, 07:47 AM
Last night, no scores. I was hoping to see the updated scores when we walked into the park once the gates opened since there were games in progress. We were treated to some nice White Sox graphics. Once the game started there were no scores flashing. We were in section 116. We ended up in the Sports Bar after the 4th inning due to the beautilful weather. I don't know if they ended up showing any scores all night.

On a seperate note none of the ads on the center field scoreboard were back lit which made the appearance of the board very dark.

roylestillman
04-11-2009, 08:24 AM
Last night, no scores. I was hoping to see the updated scores when we walked into the park once the gates opened since there were games in progress. We were treated to some nice White Sox graphics. Once the game started there were no scores flashing. We were in section 116. We ended up in the Sports Bar after the 4th inning due to the beautilful weather. I don't know if they ended up showing any scores all night.

On a seperate note none of the ads on the center field scoreboard were back lit which made the appearance of the board very dark.

It was screwed up early last night, but out of town scores came up in about the 3rd or 4th.

Lots of glitches this year at the old ballpark. Water preasure problems Opening Day. PA problems Thursday afternoon (including that odd clicking sound through the first five innings) and scoreboard issues since day 1. Also did they shorten up the ribbon boards?

Madvora
04-11-2009, 08:32 AM
I wouldn't say this is a huge disappointment, but I like the simplicity of being able to look up to the same part of the scoreboard and follow the score of one particular game. The whole idea was to give you more information, but they're actually taking that away by scrolling scores rather than having them on the board whenever you decide to look up there.
The positive is definitely the full lineups being posted.

dickallen15
04-11-2009, 09:46 AM
I went back for the first time since opening day and the new board definitely was easier to read. It still is harder to read from the infield on the first base side, but as I was walking around the concourse on the 3rd base side, even though I was farther away and there was no glare, it was even easier for me to read. It looks like they have been having some electrical issues with a lot of their boards already this season. I'm sure that will be corrected when they hit the road, if not sooner. I really love the new gate 5 entrance and exit. My one final suggestion is a couple of auxilary boards or a small ribbon board on the facade of the club level that shows the line score of the game. BTW, the renovations in KC look fantastic.

skobabe8
04-11-2009, 09:53 AM
USCF must have the most schizophrenic scoreboards in MLB.

We have a main scoreboard that doesnt show the score.

We have an OOT board that shows the lineups, pitchers stats, batters stats, sometimes video, and sometimes OOT scores.

We have a matrix board in LF that has a box score and the NUMBER of the batter (but not the name from whenever I looked).

And sometimes the matrix display on the Miller Lite board in RF has the box score.

Just bizarre.

soxinem1
04-11-2009, 11:14 PM
Was at my first game today. Sat on the Fan Deck. The new OOT board is fantastic. Had not trouble whatsoever reading it. It was not hard to follow the out of town games, they rotate clockwise.

I saw it for myself today in 117. Easy to read, follow, and understand. I figured for a Saturday day game, at 3pm of all times, it would be horrendous based on what I heard here and from a friend. But I had no issues.

What I did notice, however, is how lame our main scoreboard is. Once we update that, The Cell will be totally improved over 1991.

I want Mags back
04-11-2009, 11:35 PM
next time White Sox go to www.daktronics.com (http://www.daktronics.com)

White Way just does not have a clue anymore

:rolleyes:
the board itself is fine, it's how its being utilized that isn't any good.

I think they should make the new out of town board into the main scoreboard and have out of town scores in left.

LoveYourSuit
04-12-2009, 12:24 AM
I think the entire RF advertising back wall should have gone electric/digital board. That's what every new park is doing. It also adds much more advertising opportuities fore companies IMO and more scoreboard space for the fans.

BadBobbyJenks
04-12-2009, 10:33 AM
I had no problem what so ever reading it from 117 yesterday. I like the new board.

CMPDragRacing
04-12-2009, 11:51 AM
i dont like it. everytime id look up to see a score it was either on the wrong set of teams or it had an ad on it or something.

ChicagoG19
04-12-2009, 12:14 PM
I am not really seeing what everyone is talking about. I thought the additional stats and the out-of-town scores are really nice.

35th and Shields
04-12-2009, 12:19 PM
I am not really seeing what everyone is talking about. I thought the additional stats and the out-of-town scores are really nice.

I wasn't either. It'd be nice if the writing was a little bigger and there were no ads in between innings but definitely an upgrade over the old one.

TomBradley72
04-12-2009, 12:59 PM
USCF must have the most schizophrenic scoreboards in MLB.

We have a main scoreboard that doesnt show the score.

We have an OOT board that shows the lineups, pitchers stats, batters stats, sometimes video, and sometimes OOT scores.

We have a matrix board in LF that has a box score and the NUMBER of the batter (but not the name from whenever I looked).

And sometimes the matrix display on the Miller Lite board in RF has the box score.

Just bizarre.

Best post yet on this topic.

I was at the game on Friday night, had seats in the 15th row, down the LF line (just on the foul side of the foul pole). Over the course of a nine inning game, I never had a view of 1-9th innning line score of the game, never had a view of R/H/E line view of the game on an auxiliary scoreboard, and for the first 4 innings or so, not a single out of town score.

For the new out of town scoreboard, at times, 50% of the space was taken up by Twins/Sox logos, plus a 2nd set of Twins/Sox logos over the lineups. It's amateur hour.

They need one single main scoreboard above the fan deck in CF, I'd rather see the money go in that direction than for the schizophrenic approach that has evolved since the renovations started a few years ago. It's by far the worst set up of any of the 18 ballparks I've been to.

russ99
04-12-2009, 05:10 PM
Caught my first game today, and I really like the new board. The out-of-town games scroll up the board, so you have plenty of time to see them and not too long of a wait in case you're watching for a specific game. I wonder if they've adjusted things a bit since opening day, since I'm not seeing the problems some of you guys are.

The ads between innings didn't really bother me, and I thought that overall it was very readable. They should change the green type on black to more of a light color, but that's a very minor issue.

But the best part was that you can see the lineup, pitcher/batter stats, pitch speed and count and time/temp in all in one place. No need to check 3 other boards for that info, which is also nice in case the view is blocked to one of them.

Actually, the only thing that bugged me about the overall game presentation is that they changed the Connie's Pizza race to 3D and got rid of those lovable cartoon Italian stereotypes...

WS in 05
04-12-2009, 07:05 PM
The only thing I don't like is that when the bases are empty they are black. But when there is someone on they are white. To me that is just ass backwards.

dakuda
04-12-2009, 08:13 PM
That doesn't sound too good for me. Green and black are really hard for me to tell apart. Same with dark blues and black. I can't really blame them, since they are not supposed to cater to me. It is just something I will have to deal with.

After seeing it in person this afternoon: I like it. I don't know if they changed anything since the initial posts (it sounds like they did). It scrolls through the games nicely and provides a nice lineup for those up us who are blocked by the fundamentals deck. I will still have to get used to where the info is, but I think it is good.

chisox77
04-12-2009, 08:20 PM
The Cell is looking pretty sharp these days. And the right field scoreboard is an improvement. The next upgrade should be a larger main scoreboard (in CF), same shape, but made larger, with the whole surface area as one large HD screen. And of course, the pinwheels should be kept.

Frater Perdurabo
04-12-2009, 09:02 PM
The next upgrade should be a larger main scoreboard (in CF), same shape, but made larger, with the whole surface area as one large HD screen.

The main scoreboard should be so wide that it stretches between the two center light towers. I want it so large that astronauts on the international space station can see the score!

Cuck the Fubs
04-12-2009, 09:56 PM
Maybe I was looking at the wrong board today? :scratch:

The Out of town board is FANTASTIC!!!!! :D:

I had no problem reading it from 158.....great addition :bandance:

scarsofthumper
04-12-2009, 11:05 PM
The Cell is looking pretty sharp these days. And the right field scoreboard is an improvement. The next upgrade should be a larger main scoreboard (in CF), same shape, but made larger, with the whole surface area as one large HD screen. And of course, the pinwheels should be kept.
I can see them doing that, especially since that seems to be the new hotness (see Kauffman and the Dodger Stadium plan)

Bruizer
04-12-2009, 11:10 PM
Maybe I was looking at the wrong board today? :scratch:

The Out of town board is FANTASTIC!!!!! :D:

I had no problem reading it from 158.....great addition :bandance:

I loved it, too! :smile:

Bru

DSpivack
04-13-2009, 12:26 AM
I can see them doing that, especially since that seems to be the new hotness (see Kauffman and the Dodger Stadium plan)

Turner Field has a huge new [2 years old] videoboard, as well.

southside rocks
04-13-2009, 06:36 AM
I like the new board a lot. I sat in Section 101 yesterday and couldn't see the main scoreboard because of the Batter's Eye, so we had to get lineups, etc., from the OOT board. It's a huge improvement on the old one. Very nice!

ChiSoxFan81
04-13-2009, 09:26 AM
I sat in 538 Saturday, and had no problem at all. I thought the board was great. I had no trouble reading it at all. I wish they'd separate the pitch count and speed, just because you glance up to catch the speed, which is only up for a few seconds, and you are distracted by the pitch count. The only think that irked me a little was between innings a couple times they had an ad up. That's when I want to be checking other scores. What made it even more pointless was that it was a Miller Lite ad, since there are Miller Lite ads on the main scoreboard and in RF.