PDA

View Full Version : Gavin Floyd

Metalthrasher442
04-07-2009, 04:53 PM
Any predictions on what he'll do tomorrow?

A lot of people are expecting him to return not as strong as last year and claim that it was a fluke. He was my favorite pitcher last year just due to his two exciting near no hitters.

So I was just wondering what you guys think he'll do this season/tomorrow. It will be his earliest start in a major league season!

Go White Sox!!!!!

Here's to the 4/7 game :gulp:

hawkjt
04-07-2009, 04:58 PM
He had the best spring of any of our starters...which does not mean that much cept for him..confidence is paramount and he exudes it right now.

I look for a very good outing,as long as he has command.

Metalthrasher442
04-07-2009, 05:00 PM
He had the best spring of any of our starters...which does not mean that much cept for him..confidence is paramount and he exudes it right now.

I look for a very good outing,as long as he has command.

Yeah his last spring outing was damn good.. and he didn't use any curve balls. I guess he was trying to see how he could do if he didn't have his command on it on a given day. So that's a good sign considering his curve is looney tune like!

singapore_sling
04-07-2009, 05:04 PM
I think Gavin has a lot of confidence coming off a successful season and spring training, that said last year was the first time he threw 200 majors innings. So i'm a bit concerned about that, but I think he'll have another great year.

guillensdisciple
04-07-2009, 05:05 PM
I think he is a quality pitcher, but not as hyped up because he doesn't have the nasty 100 mph stuff that "great" pitchers have. If he can control the strike zone, and mix his pitches, I pencil him in with 18 wins and a great second in the rotation.

chisox77
04-07-2009, 05:28 PM
Floyd should do well, because he has confidence now. I would say something like 15-18 wins.

:cool:

JermaineDye05
04-07-2009, 05:39 PM
I think he is a quality pitcher, but not as hyped up because he doesn't have the nasty 100 mph stuff that "great" pitchers have. If he can control the strike zone, and mix his pitches, I pencil him in with 18 wins and a great second in the rotation.

There are few pitchers that can dial it up to 100 mph.

Floyd's fastball was around 93-94 last year, spring training he got it up to 95-96. Once again it is spring training. I agree and think he'll have a damn good year, however I look for Danks to be ace-like this season and get between 15-20 wins with an ERA around 3.12.

Metalthrasher442
04-07-2009, 05:53 PM
There are few pitchers that can dial it up to 100 mph.

Floyd's fastball was around 93-94 last year, spring training he got it up to 95-96. Once again it is spring training. I agree and think he'll have a damn good year, however I look for Danks to be ace-like this season and get between 15-20 wins with an ERA around 3.12.

Bold ERA.. but Danks showed how great he could be last year. In big situations too.. so definitely possible.

daveeym
04-07-2009, 07:21 PM
While they each have some differences in their game, I feel both Danks and Floyd have a lot of Buehrle in them. They both have the potential to be overlooked and underappreciated but above average to ace-like in their careers. Granted each of them have really only done it for a year, but if they don't regress that's how I see them.

BadBobbyJenks
04-07-2009, 07:41 PM
I think he is going to be a very good number 3, maybe 2 starter for a long long time.

Rohan
04-07-2009, 07:48 PM
For pitchers, i think spring performance is a decent prediction of the first few weeks of regular season ball.
Usually pitchers don't have their velocity early in the season. That doesn't seem to be the case for gavin. So more people are predicting that he'll peak early this year than that he'll not be as good.

Britt Burns
04-07-2009, 07:50 PM
My prediction? Pain. (for the Royals)

Metalthrasher442
04-07-2009, 08:16 PM
My prediction? Pain. (for the Royals)

Alright let's bring this on. My first game I get to watch live in HD of the season!!!

Good little article about him.. should get us pumped for his start tomorrow. =D

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090406&content_id=4143366&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

jabrch
04-07-2009, 09:08 PM
I can't see any reason to not believe Floyd will throw well this year.

whitesox901
04-08-2009, 04:07 AM
I remember back when confidence was his big issues, I'm guessing have a great spring probably built that up plus last seasons achievement, best of luck Gavin!

everafan
04-08-2009, 11:26 AM
I'm not going to predict a line but Floyd's stuff in ST was flat out nasty. I can't get on board with the expert's assertion that his 08 performance was "lucky". Please don't respond with his BABIP - I know what that means but it can't be reconciled with the eye test. He has several nasty out pitches.

Metalthrasher442
04-08-2009, 02:30 PM
I was going to go with him as my pick to click, but I think TCQ will get a couple hits also.

Whatever this will be my last post at school.. so go Gavin.