PDA

View Full Version : Current lineup

Standing Ovation
04-07-2009, 03:04 PM
Yes, it's early. But, do we really want Dwayne Wise/Brian Anderson to have an extra 100-120 plate appearances than Alexei Ramirez this season?

Frontman
04-07-2009, 03:31 PM
No, nobody does. But given that Alexei struggled in the cold last season; only coming on after it warmed up I'm not about to get upset with Ozzie and co. starting him low in the batting order early in the season.

Dibbs
04-07-2009, 03:42 PM
Getz 1
Alexei 2
BA/Wise 9

Daver
04-07-2009, 04:03 PM
Maybe Wise will improve tomorrow, and get 4 K's.

Madscout
04-07-2009, 04:10 PM
As I said in another thread, I am giving this until May. That said, I wanted the only CF on our team to be playing everyday and batting 9th. But end of May it is.

Metalthrasher442
04-07-2009, 04:49 PM
Originally I wanted Getz to lead off really badly, but now seeing his capabilities at the two hole.. if he continues that type of game.. he might have to stay there. I'm now undecided as to who I want leading off. I'm interested to see how BA does when he gets his first start of the season. I don't think we have any very good lead off hitters, but when it heats up I'd like to see Alexei there.

Boondock Saint
04-07-2009, 04:52 PM
These things go both ways. Just as it's too early to say that Wise is going to fail at lead off and needs to be moved to the bottom of the order (not saying he won't, mind you), it's also too early to say that Alexei or Getz is the answer at the top.

We have to give this line up a chance, like it or not.

SoxGirl4Life
04-07-2009, 04:54 PM
Originally I wanted Getz to lead off really badly, but now seeing his capabilities at the two hole.. if he continues that type of game.. he might have to stay there. I'm now undecided as to who I want leading off. I'm interested to see how BA does when he gets his first start of the season. I don't think we have any very good lead off hitters, but when it heats up I'd like to see Alexei there.

I love Getz!

gf2020
04-07-2009, 04:54 PM
I want Alexei up in the order too, but he didn't look so hot today either. I hate all of this reactionary stuff after one or two games.

04-07-2009, 04:56 PM
I'd love to see Getz/Fields or Fields/Getz at the top.

TheVulture
04-07-2009, 05:36 PM
I want Alexei up in the order too, but he didn't look so hot today either. I hate all of this reactionary stuff after one or two games.

This is nothing reactionary - we already know Wise is barely a major leaguer, let alone a leadoff man for a quality team. It'd be one thing if this were the middle of the season, Wise was the hot hand, and the Sox were having trouble filling the leadoff spot...I'd take any other team's starting CFer and lead him off before Wise at the start of this season.

Madscout
04-07-2009, 06:06 PM
I will say this though, there is no reason that Wise should be in after Jim's HR. No reason whatsoever.

Daver
04-07-2009, 06:09 PM
I will say this though, there is no reason that Wise should be in after Jim's HR. No reason whatsoever.

Perhaps it was so he would have a chance to showcase his stunning defense to compliment his efforts at the plate.

Frontman
04-07-2009, 06:14 PM
Perhaps it was so he would have a chance to showcase his stunning defense to compliment his efforts at the plate.

Or nobody left BA the key to unlock himself from his houdini-type straight jacket and cage Ozzie locks him in before every game.....

TDog
04-07-2009, 06:18 PM
No, nobody does. But given that Alexei struggled in the cold last season; only coming on after it warmed up I'm not about to get upset with Ozzie and co. starting him low in the batting order early in the season.

I'm not sure if Ramirez struggled until mid-May last season (he seemed to start hitting with some authority after hitting his first home run to win the opener in San Francisco last season) because he has a problem with cold weather. I thought it was a matter of adjusting to majors. It could have been a combination of both. A lot of people who post here don't want Ramirez leading off because he doesn't walk much.

One game in April doesn't tell you much. When I was in high school, I went to a home opener where Ron Bloomberg came off the bench to tie it in the bottom of the ninth with a home run. The first man to DH in a regular season American League game had just that one highlight when he played for the Sox. I'm guessing Jim Thome has games this season where he goes 0-for-4 with three strikeouts, just as there were games last season when Wise was the White Sox offensive star.

Madscout
04-07-2009, 06:29 PM
I'm not sure if Ramirez struggled until mid-May last season (he seemed to start hitting with some authority after hitting his first home run to win the opener in San Francisco last season) because he has a problem with cold weather. I thought it was a matter of adjusting to majors. It could have been a combination of both. A lot of people who post here don't want Ramirez leading off because he doesn't walk much.

One game in April doesn't tell you much. When I was in high school, I went to a home opener where Ron Bloomberg came off the bench to tie it in the bottom of the ninth with a home run. The first man to DH in a regular season American League game had just that one highlight when he played for the Sox. I'm guessing Jim Thome has games this season where he goes 0-for-4 with three strikeouts, just as there were games last season when Wise was the White Sox offensive star.
I agree with pretty much all of that. I have seen Thome have some terrible ABs with the white sox, usually when there is a lefty on the mound with a good slider that can throw it down and away. Wise will not be as bad as he was today everyday, and that is why I'm not going to be calling for his head anytime soon.
However, when you are up in the bottom of the ninth by two, you put your CF in. BA is the only CF on this team defensively, and I don't think that is disputable. If not a starter, and we will see if that is justified, the kid must always be a late defensive sub for one of our outfielders when we are ahead.

daveeym
04-07-2009, 07:33 PM
Wow, sox apologist much? I didn't pay much attention to spring training so maybe Alexei deserves the 8 spot, maybe they're even trying to keep the pressure off him in his sophomore year, but seeing Alexei in the 8 spot was confusing at best, dissapointing at worst. If the decision was because our 3-7 is bad ass, he should be batting lead-off then. If it's just because he had a rough ST or matchups then I can live with that while they give BA and Wise the chance to sink or swim.

That said, unless it's the latter Alexei should be leading off rather than batting 8th. Someone with his talent could develop into a leadoff hitter instead of wasting him in the 8 spot. The theory that he is best suited for his power in the 3-6 hole (long term, developmental wise) I could buy, even if it's not my own opinion on the subject.

Frontman
04-07-2009, 07:58 PM
Wow, sox apologist much? I didn't pay much attention to spring training so maybe Alexei deserves the 8 spot, maybe they're even trying to keep the pressure off him in his sophomore year, but seeing Alexei in the 8 spot was confusing at best, dissapointing at worst. If the decision was because our 3-7 is bad ass, he should be batting lead-off then. If it's just because he had a rough ST or matchups then I can live with that while they give BA and Wise the chance to sink or swim.

That said, unless it's the latter Alexei should be leading off rather than batting 8th. Someone with his talent could develop into a leadoff hitter instead of wasting him in the 8 spot. The theory that he is best suited for his power in the 3-6 hole (long term, developmental wise) I could buy, even if it's not my own opinion on the subject.

Wow, do you listen to the interviews with the coaching staff; or do you just complain when they don't do what you think they should do?

Walker said that Alexei is far too much of a free swinger for the lead off position; and you can't teach that skill to a batter. He would be wasted in the #2 hole, as again the way he plays baseball is not as a selective player. He swings and swings hard, period.

This will be a line up that will be tinkered with all season. The only guy who could *possibly* count on not changing his place in the batting order is Quentin.

Madscout
04-07-2009, 09:08 PM
Wow, do you listen to the interviews with the coaching staff; or do you just complain when they don't do what you think they should do?

Walker said that Alexei is far too much of a free swinger for the lead off position; and you can't teach that skill to a batter. He would be wasted in the #2 hole, as again the way he plays baseball is not as a selective player. He swings and swings hard, period.

This will be a line up that will be tinkered with all season. The only guy who could *possibly* count on not changing his place in the batting order is Quentin.
I believe that, but I also believe that Alexei is one of the best fastball hitters on the team, if not the best, and he would see a lot more fastballs in the 2 hole. I don't think you can count on him as a contact guy, which makes him not ideal for the 2 hole, but again, more fastballs is better for Alexei.

Frater Perdurabo
04-07-2009, 09:11 PM
Maybe Wise will improve tomorrow, and get 4 K's.

I'm just glad we have his Gold Glove defense out there, especially to protect a lead in the ninth inning.

russ99
04-07-2009, 09:13 PM

It sends the wrong message to pull him. Granted if this were late September in a pennant race or in big CF park like Oakland or Detroit, Anderson would be in for defense. But it's opening day. You don't give the guy the job and then pull him so quickly. And you know what, we won with him in CF.

Yanking him says your manager has no faith in you due to one bad game. Leaving him in instills some confidence that he can build with tomorrow.

Ozzie's not as dumb as half of you make him out to be...

soxinem1
04-07-2009, 09:15 PM
I'm just glad we have his Gold Glove defense out there, especially to protect a lead in the ninth inning.

Didn't you mean to put that in teal??:scratch::smile:

Frater Perdurabo
04-07-2009, 09:15 PM
I think I might want both Getz and Fields at the top of the order. In fact, I might be tempted to do something like this, to get as much speed as possible at the top of the order:

Getz
Fields
Alexei
Quentin
Thome
Dye
Paulie
AJ
BA

russ99
04-07-2009, 09:18 PM
I think I might want both Getz and Fields at the top of the order. In fact, I might be tempted to do something like this, to get as much speed as possible at the top of the order:

Getz
Fields
Alexei
Quentin
Thome
Dye
Paulie
AJ
BA

This is overreacting based on a small sample size of the highest order.

Come back to me in 20 games if Wise isn't contributing and if Fields runs and bunts as well as he did today. Tuffy Rhodes looked like Roger Maris for one day too...

That's not to say that we can't have fun speculating on other lineups... :D:

Daver
It sends the wrong message to pull him. Granted if this were late September in a pennant race or in big CF park like Oakland or Detroit, Anderson would be in for defense. But it's opening day. You don't give the guy the job and then pull him so quickly. And you know what, we won with him in CF.

Yanking him says your manager has no faith in you due to one bad game. Leaving him in instills some confidence that he can build with tomorrow.

Ozzie's not as dumb as half of you make him out to be...

Kind of like 2006 when Ozzie yanked Brian out of the lineup for the second day of the season when he hit .500 on opening day?

chisox77
I have always felt that BA is the best full-time CF option the White Sox have. Play him daily, bat him 9th, and have Getz lead off.

:cool:

daveeym
04-07-2009, 09:20 PM

Apologize some more, I already said I didn't follow spring training but if you think Alexei deserves being in the 8 spot and wise leadoff you're nuts. Even as a free swinger alexei is a better option, regardless of walker's analysis. Alexei in the 8 spot, without some undisclosed issue, accomplishes nothing for the team or him.

Frater Perdurabo
04-07-2009, 09:24 PM
This is overreacting based on a small sample size of the highest order.

Come back to me in 20 games if Wise isn't contributing and if Fields runs and bunts as well as he did today. Tuffy Rhodes looked like Roger Maris for one day too...

That's not to say that we can't have fun speculating on other lineups... :D:

I'm not reacting based on what happened today. I am trying to get more speed at the top of the order. Getz, Fields and Alexei all can run well, and Alexei hits for high average as well as decent power.

Frater Perdurabo
04-07-2009, 09:25 PM
Kind of like 2006 when Ozzie yanked Brian out of the lineup for the second day of the season when he hit .500 on opening day?

There you go again posting stubborn facts.

Ozzie won a World Series. It is IMPOSSIBLE for him to do anything wrong.

Rule #1: Ozzie is always right.
Rule #2: If Ozzie is wrong, see Rule #1.

oeo
04-07-2009, 09:29 PM

Iguchi was out of the lineup too. In the third game, Crede was out of the lineup. Oh well. We've been through this before, Brian started as much as the other starters to begin the season. Just because he wasn't out there every single day means nothing...Ozzie does that with almost everybody.

russ99
04-07-2009, 09:31 PM

Then he started the next four games. And he got 12 more starts in CF out of the 19 Sox games the rest of that month. Who knows why Ozzie sat him out that day, but he certainly wasn't benched.

And he went 2-3 with a double and a walk that Opening Day. :wink:

oeo
04-07-2009, 09:35 PM
Then he started the next four games. And he got 12 more starts in CF out of the 19 Sox games the rest of that month. Who knows why Ozzie sat him out that day, but he certainly wasn't benched.

Selective memories are fun, aren't they?

russ99
04-07-2009, 09:38 PM
Selective memories are fun, aren't they?

Well I certainly don't have a "rain man" like memory about what the Sox did 3 years ago. :D:

I discovered this awesome little tool a while back. Linky (http://www.fangraphs.com/statsd.aspx?playerid=6144&position=OF&season=).
They even have five different projections for each player for 2009, if you're into that sort of thing.

BA got a few extended chances to start last year too, but I think that was when PK was injured.

oeo
04-07-2009, 09:41 PM
Well I certainly don't have a "rain man" like memory about what the Sox did 3 years ago.

Daver apparently thinks he does.

russ99
04-07-2009, 09:53 PM

I won't go that far. :D: Nor will I try to explain the whole FOBA phenomenon.

But I've had favorite players that I thought got shafted in the past too, so while I disagree with them about Anderson's potential, I certainly understand.

Daver
04-07-2009, 09:57 PM

I make a single refference to a specific instance, and from that you extrapolate pure fantasy?

And you wonder why people doubt your opinion?

oeo
04-07-2009, 10:00 PM
I make a single refference to a specific instance, and from that you extrapolate pure fantasy?

So you were implying nothing? Why mention it then? Oh no, Anderson didn't play the second game of the season. That's a career ruined right there.

And you wonder why people doubt your opinion?

I could care less what you think of my opinion. I don't feel very highly of yours either.

Daver
04-07-2009, 10:05 PM
I could care less what you think of my opinion.

The feeling is mutual.

Brian26
04-07-2009, 10:21 PM
I could care less what you think of my opinion.

...could NOT care less.

Continue.

chisoxfanatic
04-07-2009, 10:24 PM
I did like what I saw from Fields today.

whitesox901
04-08-2009, 04:01 AM
Except for Wise, I really liked the line-up today

Frontman
04-08-2009, 07:21 AM
Apologize some more, I already said I didn't follow spring training but if you think Alexei deserves being in the 8 spot and wise leadoff you're nuts. Even as a free swinger alexei is a better option, regardless of walker's analysis. Alexei in the 8 spot, without some undisclosed issue, accomplishes nothing for the team or him.

Save for the fact the kid did poorly for 5 weeks to start the season last season?

No, Ozzie obviously hates Alexei too.

This is one thing I hate about really good baseball video games. Makes the modern fan feel that there is no human element to the players; and that if they have Alexei in the #2 hole on the PS3, by God that's where Ozzie should have him!!!

Madscout
04-08-2009, 07:51 AM
Save for the fact the kid did poorly for 5 weeks to start the season last season?

This is one thing I hate about really good baseball video games. Makes the modern fan feel that there is no human element to the players; and that if they have Alexei in the #2 hole on the PS3, by God that's where Ozzie should have him!!!

There are some very good reasons to have him in the 2 hole, and some very bad ones as well.

Good-
Our CF doesn't lead off
He would see more fastballs ahead of TCQ and Dye, and as a great fastball hitter, that would be very very good for him.
Another guy that can run ahead of our mashers

Bad-
He isn't selective enough
He doesn't strike me as the smartest baserunner

Unsure-
I have never seen him bunt or hit and run, so I am not sure how well he does those things.

russ99
04-08-2009, 09:22 AM
There are some very good reasons to have him in the 2 hole, and some very bad ones as well.

Good-
Our CF doesn't lead off
He would see more fastballs ahead of TCQ and Dye, and as a great fastball hitter, that would be very very good for him.
Another guy that can run ahead of our mashers

Bad-
He isn't selective enough
He doesn't strike me as the smartest baserunner

Unsure-
I have never seen him bunt or hit and run, so I am not sure how well he does those things.

I'll retort on the Good.

1 - Our CF doesn't lead off: I have no problem with this but unless we go out and get a leadoff guy, we're not going to see prototypical leadoff performance from anyone on the current roster anyway, so why not leave him there?

The only benefit of moving Wise out of the leadoff spot that I can see is to give the FOBAs more ammunition to get their guy in there. Which is a bad reason to change a lineup. If he's not performing after 15-20 games, then make a move, but I think he'll do much better the rest of the week.

2- He would see more fastballs: Not necessarily. If he bats 3rd, which is where I expect him to end up, he'll see lots of fastballs. At leadoff with Getz behind him, he'll see lots of junk and I don't think he has the patience to work the count, and his overall performance and confidence will suffer.

3 - Another guy that can run : I'll give you that, but Wise is no slouch either, speed-wise and isn't as reckless a runner as Alexei, so what do you gain?

chisoxwschamps05
04-08-2009, 09:30 AM
I'll retort on the Good.

1 - Our CF doesn't lead off: I have no problem with this but unless we go out and get a leadoff guy, we're not going to see prototypical leadoff performance from anyone on the current roster anyway, so why not leave him there?

The only benefit of moving Wise out of the leadoff spot that I can see is to give the FOBAs more ammunition to get their guy in there. Which is a bad reason to change a lineup. If he's not performing after 15-20 games, then make a move, but I think he'll do much better the rest of the week.

2- He would see more fastballs: Not necessarily. If he bats 3rd, which is where I expect him to end up, he'll see lots of fastballs. At leadoff with Getz behind him, he'll see lots of junk and I don't think he has the patience to work the count, and his overall performance and confidence will suffer.

3 - Another guy that can run : I'll give you that, but Wise is no slouch either, speed-wise and isn't as reckless a runner as Alexei, so what do you gain?
I think he was talking about putting Alexei in the 2 hole, correct? Then he would be hitting between Getz and TCQ, so he'd see lots of fastballs in the 2 spot.

daveeym
04-08-2009, 12:02 PM

Sorry I don't play any ps3 and what does the first 5 weeks of the guys rookie season have to do when compared to the next 15? If everyone is healthy and producing we have a pretty tough 3-6, 3-7, so sure it may be hard to slip him in there this year even though that's where he's "slotted" in the future. But sticking him in the 8 hole with what he brings to the table and the year he had last year is ridiculous when you combine it with the wise/ba experiment. It's early so I'm fine with some tinkering still, but it's a head scratcher to say the least unless I'm missing something from his spring training performance as I said initially. It wouldn't be the first time a stud rookie looks like crap his sophomore year.

Jurr
04-08-2009, 12:11 PM
In Cleveland last year for the opener, I was amazed to see Alexei Ramirez starting in CF. I wondered what the hell was going on. As the season progressed, we saw more and more of Ramirez until he was a fixture at 2B.

The moral of the story is that this lineup (on both sides) is very fluid over the course of the season, and some players will hit and field their respective ways into or out of the lineup. This is definitely a work in progress.

Madscout
04-08-2009, 04:24 PM
I'll retort on the Good.

1- I think Wise would be better out of the 9 hole. And the thing that I have said in the past few weeks is that I question us looking to the weakest position on the team to fulfill two big jobs. Wise was hot at the end of last year, and he didn't get hot by being plugged into the leadoff spot, he got plugged in 8 or 9 and then did well at it

2. I was talking about Ramirez out of the 2 hole, so yes, between Getz and TCQ he would see a **** ton of fastballs, more so than in the 8 hole with only Fields behind him.

3. I was speaking on the matter without regard of the current lineup. If you want me to put down then positives with that lineup against yesterdays, then you add

-Alexei is a better hitter than Wise
-Alexei will give us more power at the top
-Alexei will be on base more
-Alexei has much more room to improve at the spot (2 hole), given his superior hitting

Konerko05
04-08-2009, 04:38 PM
If Fields hits well this season, 2-9 looks really strong. The only thing weighing the lineup down is the .214 hitter collecting the most at bats in the leadoff spot.

Solution: Move 2-9 to 1-8, and place the superior defensive player in the 9 hole.

Getz
Quentin
Thome
Dye
Konerko
Pierzynski
Ramirez
Fields
Anderson

I also thought about switching Ramirez and Pierzynski. It would leave 3 RH hitters in a row, but the Sox would have the player with more power hitting behind Dye and Konerko. Ramirez also has good speed which would benefit the bottom of the order if he reaches base.

Frontman
04-09-2009, 05:16 PM
So Ozzie mixes up the lineup and.....

SSDD.

This is going to be an up and down season, that's for sure.

oeo
04-09-2009, 05:54 PM
This is going to be an up and down season, that's for sure.

Nothing is for sure. We've seen three games.

Frontman
04-10-2009, 08:18 AM
Nothing is for sure. We've seen three games.

True. I probably should of said, "It's going to be a while before the fans get any confidence in this lineup."

That's for sure.

Tragg
04-10-2009, 09:09 AM
1- I think Wise would be better out of the 9 hole. And the thing that I have said in the past few weeks is that I question us looking to the weakest position on the team to fulfill two big jobs. Wise was hot at the end of last year, and he didn't get hot by being plugged into the leadoff spot, he got plugged in 8 or 9 and then did well at it

2. I was talking about Ramirez out of the 2 hole, so yes, between Getz and TCQ he would see a **** ton of fastballs, more so than in the 8 hole with only Fields behind him.

Wise got hot last year for 2 periods - one 10 day stretch in June or maybe July and then 2 weeks at the end of year. All in all, obp below .300 for the year - nothing to suggest that we should bring him back (but we signed him to a contract).

Ramirez did what he did last year toward the bottom of the order; but I agree, I think he'd be a good 1 or 2 hole hitter because he swings at everything and that's where he'd see the best pitches. On the other hand, sometimes guys like Ramirez hit bad pitches really well (like low outside pitches) - you get those when you have Wise hitting behind you.

Madscout
04-10-2009, 01:21 PM
Wise got hot last year for 2 periods - one 10 day stretch in June or maybe July and then 2 weeks at the end of year. All in all, obp below .300 for the year - nothing to suggest that we should bring him back (but we signed him to a contract).

Ramirez did what he did last year toward the bottom of the order; but I agree, I think he'd be a good 1 or 2 hole hitter because he swings at everything and that's where he'd see the best pitches. On the other hand, sometimes guys like Ramirez hit bad pitches really well (like low outside pitches) - you get those when you have Wise hitting behind you.
So, it is a wash, so you go with the hot hand. Coincidentally, Wise and AR are have the exact same line right now, so I go with the starter who started last year and proved that he can hit over a utility guy that got hot for maybe a month.

russ99
04-10-2009, 03:24 PM
So, it is a wash, so you go with the hot hand. Coincidentally, Wise and AR are have the exact same line right now, so I go with the starter who started last year and proved that he can hit over a utility guy that got hot for maybe a month.

That's a bit short sighted. It's obvious Alexei is very uncomfortable in cold weather, and that's amplifying his usually acceptable level of impatience at the plate and hacking at bad pitches.

He's looked beyond awful in every at-bat this year so far, so keep him at 8. Sunday's going to be close to 60F, so he may break out then.

Wise probably isn't the answer, but I can live with 1-2 good at-bats a game, as long as Getz isn't also messed up by putting him in the leadoff spot.

Konerko05
04-10-2009, 03:30 PM
The only benefit of moving Wise out of the leadoff spot that I can see is to give the FOBAs more ammunition to get their guy in there. Which is a bad reason to change a lineup.

Ridiculous statement.

Britt Burns
04-10-2009, 04:02 PM
I really think that given our current option, a Wise/BA platoon out of the 9 hole-with BA coming in as a defensive replacement most every game--is the only one that makes sense. I don't know why Ozzie and KW have been resistant to it. The simple fact is that niether of these two are currently up to major league full time regular caliber. Since that is the case, you at least put them in the position to get the most out of their abilities, and a platoon-while not a great solution-is nevertheless the best one.

Frater Perdurabo
04-10-2009, 06:48 PM
I really think that given our current option, a Wise/BA platoon out of the 9 hole-with BA coming in as a defensive replacement most every game--is the only one that makes sense. I don't know why Ozzie and KW have been resistant to it. The simple fact is that niether of these two are currently up to major league full time regular caliber. Since that is the case, you at least put them in the position to get the most out of their abilities, and a platoon-while not a great solution-is nevertheless the best one.

You just will never understand. Ozzie won a World Series. The only thing Ozzie is incapable of doing is making a mistake.
:rolleyes:

Tragg
04-10-2009, 07:25 PM
You're comparing Wise to Ramirez?
Geeze.
But I guess Guillen agres. He had Ramirez benched after 2 games last year (anderson after 1 in 2006).... 0-fer Wise stays in the lineup - that Ozzie eye for talent.

Madscout
04-10-2009, 11:06 PM
You're comparing Wise to Ramirez?
Geeze.
But I guess Guillen agres. He had Ramirez benched after 2 games last year (anderson after 1 in 2006).... 0-fer Wise stays in the lineup - that Ozzie eye for talent.
With all due respect to Guillen, AR looked ****ing terrible at the plate at the begining of the year last year.