PDA

View Full Version : MLB.TV help. Thanks!

Jerksticks
04-05-2009, 09:32 PM
Are all Sox games blacked out if you are in the broadcast area? Does anybody have any experience.

I want to watch the games via internet since I don't believe in TV or ever owning one. What are my options?

I almost signed up for MLB.TV but saw the little disclaimer. What's the deal?

Thank you boys n girls!

EnglishChiSox
04-05-2009, 09:33 PM
Yes, usually they are. Use the zip code checker in the disclaimer box at the bottom to check.

Marqhead
04-05-2009, 09:34 PM
You have no options. If you live within the White Sox broadcast range, all games will be blacked out.

Jerksticks
04-05-2009, 09:38 PM
No kiddin. So it's really TV or nothing?

Oh but supposedly you can watch each game as an "archived game" after the game is over. Any experience with this?

It might be fun to watch rivals play, I still might snag it up.

EnglishChiSox
04-05-2009, 09:41 PM

Oh but supposedly you can watch each game as an "archived game" after the game is over. Any experience with this?

Yes, last year the games were archived 45 mins after the finish, they have a new way of broadcasting the games (Previously Silverlight, now Flash) so it might take longer for the first few weeks. Archived games are without Blackout restrictions. You can listen to radio feeds without blackout i believe.

Marqhead
04-05-2009, 09:42 PM

There will probably be ways to watch most of the games on the net, though the legality of such methods is questionable.

I have no experience with the archived games feature. I'm probably going to get MLBtv this year for at least a couple months, I am worried about the strength of my internet connection however.

Jerksticks
04-05-2009, 09:57 PM
Marq i have the link to MLB.tv's bandwidth tester, http://mlb.mlb.com/tools/bandwidthdetect/index.html

Looks like you can do 19.95 a month cancel anytime.

As far as the other part of your post, how would ya attempt to wrangle the feeds. I might have an idea as well. Is PMing necessary?

Rdy2PlayBall
04-05-2009, 09:59 PM
They just lost a sale. I thought I'd be able to use this in college if I have to live in a dorm... Now I am just going to have to live with gameday if I don't get to stay at home. :(: That's pretty stupid that they do that, why do you think they do? :?:

04-05-2009, 10:04 PM
They just lost a sale. I thought I'd be able to use this in college if I have to live in a dorm... Now I am just going to have to live with gameday if I don't get to stay at home. :(: That's pretty stupid that they do that, why do you think they do? :?:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackout_(broadcasting)

Rdy2PlayBall
04-05-2009, 10:08 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackout_(broadcasting (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackout_%28broadcasting))Stupid cheapskates. :mad: Oh well... I'll just have to live without the Sox. Most of the games are at night anyway... I'll have to find a place to watch.

anewman35
04-05-2009, 10:09 PM

If they allowed that, broadcasters wouldn't be willing to pay them as much, and I guess they figure they wouldn't make up the difference with MLB.TV subscriptions.

Rdy2PlayBall
04-05-2009, 10:12 PM
If they allowed that, broadcasters wouldn't be willing to pay them as much, and I guess they figure they wouldn't make up the difference with MLB.TV subscriptions.I would think they would have a plan where you can just get all the games for you team no matter where you live for the same price... or something like that. That would make a lot of sense.

Marqhead
04-05-2009, 10:16 PM
Marq i have the link to MLB.tv's bandwidth tester, http://mlb.mlb.com/tools/bandwidthdetect/index.html

Looks like you can do 19.95 a month cancel anytime.

As far as the other part of your post, how would ya attempt to wrangle the feeds. I might have an idea as well. Is PMing necessary?

Thanks for the link! According to that I'll be more than fine for both packages. I wont need it for the first week, as Extra Innings has a free preview, but I'll need it for at least two months after that.

As for other links, at the end of last season I was able to watch a lot of the games through one site, but I think they have changed their format, or possibly been shut down. I wont know until the games actually start whether or not there are alternate feeds.

Send me a PM if you have an idea, and I'll let you know if I can help.

HawkDJ
04-05-2009, 10:22 PM
Just bought mlb.tv premium. Hope it's worth the extra money. I got it mostly for the ability to choose which announcers to listen to for each game.

anewman35
04-06-2009, 09:28 AM
I would think they would have a plan where you can just get all the games for you team no matter where you live for the same price... or something like that. That would make a lot of sense.

It would make sense for fans, yes. But do you think Comcast and WGN ESPN and Fox will give them as much money if you and I can see every Sox game without having to watch those networks?

fisk_84
04-06-2009, 01:52 PM
MOD EDIT: Yeah, we're not going to talk about that here.

Hope this helps.

MLBTV is a life saver at the office:D:

Sockinchisox
04-06-2009, 08:15 PM
Anyone using this and getting serious delays?

My games are usually like 2 batters behind.

SoxGirl4Life
04-06-2009, 08:18 PM
Anyone using this and getting serious delays?

My games are usually like 2 batters behind.

The new video player was stuttering alot for me. I adjusted down the video quality and its better.

Jurr
04-06-2009, 08:25 PM
They are having issues with the nextdef feature. Typical for opening day.

BoKnowsBest
04-06-2009, 08:40 PM
They seem to have problems anytime they do the free preview. I'm guessing they're not used to the number of people watching that they have during these times and get overloaded, leaving those of us who paid for it complaining about it every year. Nothing ever comes out of complaining, they just always give the same response about heavy volume messing **** up.

soill
04-07-2009, 12:01 PM
I've been fighting with MLB.TV for years now. I live 350 miles from Chicago but live in the Cardinals, Cubs, and Sox home markets. Why? Because of DirectTV, which I can't get unless my neighbor clears their forest and I can get a signal. So I'm stuck with MediaCom cable, which must be the worst cable company in the US. I wrote Bud Selig a letter but have yet to hear back. How can I switch my IP address to a location in Florida?

illini81887
04-07-2009, 12:56 PM
Are all Sox games blacked out if you are in the broadcast area? Does anybody have any experience.

I want to watch the games via internet since I don't believe in TV or ever owning one. What are my options?

I almost signed up for MLB.TV but saw the little disclaimer. What's the deal?

Thank you boys n girls!
Just wondering you dont believe in TV. How do you watch sox then

bhayes520
04-07-2009, 01:08 PM
MLB.tv is sweet. Just hope the games are a little less choppier after they work the kinks out the first few weeks. I kept refreshing mine to catch up a batter or two between innings.

I live in Cardinal nation and this thing is a life saver.

HawkDJ
04-07-2009, 04:48 PM
Not too pleased with mlb.tv today. It was extremely choppy and the audio kept cutting out. I'm hoping it will improve after a week or so.

kevingrt
04-07-2009, 09:06 PM
Not too pleased with mlb.tv today. It was extremely choppy and the audio kept cutting out. I'm hoping it will improve after a week or so.

Wasn't MLB.TV it was you. You were still sippin the Andre after winning the NC last night. :D: