PDA

View Full Version : Uribe earns roster spot with Giants

InKennyWeTrust
04-05-2009, 04:27 PM
Officially, he is the backup at third base. He should see a decent amount of time there, since the starting third baseman is also the backup catcher. Yes, that part is a :scratch:.

Konerko05
04-05-2009, 04:39 PM
I'm glad he made the team, but only as backup 3B? He's better up the middle than at 3B. Uribe's defense is sorely underrated.

sunofgold
04-05-2009, 04:39 PM
Uribe will find a way to become a starter with the Giants. He always does. Somebody on the Giants will suck or will be injured and that will open a spot for Uribe. He actually plays his best when he is challenged to make a spot or earn more playing time.

Frater Perdurabo
04-05-2009, 04:52 PM
Uribe will find a way to become a starter with the Giants. He always does. Somebody on the Giants will suck or will be injured and that will open a spot for Uribe. He actually plays his best when he is challenged to make a spot or earn more playing time.

Good call. He had his best year at the plate with the Sox in 2004, when he was trying to prove himself. For a few weeks early on he was hitting near .400 IIRC. (Remember when some people were calling him a "Miguel Tejada starter kit?") In 2005 I believe he led the Sox in sac flies. It's when he gets complacent and comfortable that he starts that uppercut corkscrew swing for the fences.

Frontman
04-05-2009, 05:32 PM
Good for Juan. Nice player and hope he does well for SF.

Madscout
04-05-2009, 05:44 PM
Good for him. Hope he plays his way into the lineup.

HomeFish
04-05-2009, 05:54 PM
I've always liked Juan Uribe. I can't remember a single time when I criticized him on WSI. Good luck, Juan.

DSpivack
04-05-2009, 06:35 PM
Officially, he is the backup at third base. He should see a decent amount of time there, since the starting third baseman is also the backup catcher. Yes, that part is a :scratch:.

Sandoval is a fantastic hitter, but a butcher defensively. They don't need him at C with Benji Molina and Buster Posey in the minors; he'll be a 1B eventually.

WhiteSoxJunkie
04-10-2009, 06:10 PM
He actually plays his best when he is challenged to make a spot or earn more playing time.

Hell yeah he does. How many times did he lose his job last season, 3?

palehozenychicty
04-11-2009, 09:03 AM
Good call. He had his best year at the plate with the Sox in 2004, when he was trying to prove himself. For a few weeks early on he was hitting near .400 IIRC. (Remember when some people were calling him a "Miguel Tejada starter kit?") In 2005 I believe he led the Sox in sac flies. It's when he gets complacent and comfortable that he starts that uppercut corkscrew swing for the fences.

Good lord, that swing makes me puke in my mouth. :tongue:

nug0hs
04-11-2009, 11:05 AM

See: Inge, Brandon.

chisox77
04-11-2009, 07:38 PM
Good for Juan. And if things don't work out with the Giants, then KW can pick him up, and get that 2005 magic back.

Frater Perdurabo
04-11-2009, 07:42 PM
Good for Juan. And if things don't work out with the Giants, then KW can pick him up, and get that 2005 magic back.

I understand Pods and Everett are available, too. And perhaps Big Frank as a midseason signing for some DH plate appearances?:tongue: