PDA

View Full Version : Looks at some of the opening day starters

sunofgold
04-05-2009, 03:05 PM
They suck. Usually you go with your #1s or at least #2 if it is a veteran or sentimental favorite. Makes me feel pretty good about our starters.

Harang 6-17 last year for the Reds
Millwood for Tex. Nice 5.07 ERA last year
Braden for Oak. You have to be kidding
Lannan 9-15 for Was. Well, he might be ok, bad team though
Verlander 11-17 4.84 ERA. Now, he might rebound. maybe
Suppan 4.96 ERA last year. He's ok.

jamokes
04-05-2009, 06:41 PM
Harang and Verlander had off seasons, they should be better.

Marqhead
04-05-2009, 06:49 PM
Harang and Verlander had off seasons, they should be better.

Agreed. They should both bounce back this year. Don't be fooled by Lannan's record, he is a pretty good young pitcher.

sunofgold
04-05-2009, 07:19 PM
He pitched great last year. He deserves to be opening day pitcher based on performance. But, they probably went with a guy who has been on their team for awhile.

Maybe even Arroyo would have made more sense to me. But, in Dusty we trusty.

BadBobbyJenks
04-06-2009, 12:00 AM
I think Harang is finished, but Verlander is big bounceback candidate.

doublem23
04-06-2009, 12:02 AM
I think Harang is finished, but Verlander is big bounceback candidate.

The Tigers have been messing with his arm angle, so I don't know. I'd like Harang a lot more if he didn't pitch in Cincinnati.

MarkZ35
04-06-2009, 12:12 AM
Totally agreed. I was just talking to my buddy about the Rangers today. When are they ever going to try and field a winner? They seem to be running in place the past 7 or 8 years. They can always hit but the pitching is brutal. Millwood as the #1? He would be a 3 or 4 starter at best on most other teams.

whitesox901
04-06-2009, 12:30 AM
agreed. They should both bounce back this year. Don't be fooled by lannan's record, he is a pretty good young pitcher.

+1

sunofgold
04-06-2009, 12:46 AM
That you had to be a pretty good pitcher to lose 20 games. Because if you weren't good, there is no way you would keep your spot in rotation.

Millwood, honestly, wouldn't make our rotation as long as Colon and Contreras stay healthy.

And Oakland's rotation looks pretty bad to me. Well, Duchscherer is on the DL. But how excited could you be about you team if Dallas Braden is your opening day pitcher.

And Milwaukee..no Sheets, no CC....Suppan is ok, but how excited would you be to have him as your opening day pitcher. Gallardo might bounce bad from injury and be their ace.

DumpJerry
04-06-2009, 06:28 AM
Totally agreed. I was just talking to my buddy about the Rangers today. When are they ever going to try and field a winner? They seem to be running in place the past 7 or 8 years. They can always hit but the pitching is brutal. Millwood as the #1? He would be a 3 or 4 starter at best on most other teams.
They will field a winner when they no longer play in a hitter's paradise. Top flight FA pitchers won't touch that team.

jabrch
04-06-2009, 07:40 AM
I can't think of too many teams who have the depth we have in the rotation. Between our starting 5, and then the next 2-3 who could step up if needed, it's a nice position to be in. Lots of leverage...

Sad
04-06-2009, 11:09 AM
John Lannan has the potential to be a 20-game winner with the right team