PDA

View Full Version : ESPN's season predictions

SoxGirl4Life
04-05-2009, 03:24 PM
Here we go, just for fun..

We get two votes of confidence out of about 15 or so. One from our ole buddy Chris Singleton. The other from some dude I've never heard of.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/preview09/news/story?page=09expertpicks

WhiteSox5187
04-05-2009, 03:54 PM
I'm stunned to see that Gammons has the Red Sox winning the World Series!

Also, Singleton was the only one right in '08! Though I'm leaning towards the Indians myself.

HawkDJ
04-05-2009, 04:00 PM
That many people really think they Rays will win the World Series?

Corlose 15
04-05-2009, 04:02 PM
I'm stunned to see that Gammons has the Red Sox winning the World Series!

Also, Singleton was the only one right in '08! Though I'm leaning towards the Indians myself.

Why are people so high on the Indians? Their rotation is incredibly suspect and their bullpen was awful last year. Sure they added Wood who will help but he's almost assured at least a 2 week stint on the DL. People want to bring up the Sox rotation but when Carl Pavano is your 3rd starter, you're not a division winner.

IMO, its going to be between the Sox and the Twins.

guillensdisciple
04-05-2009, 04:21 PM
I don't see what makes the White Sox such a bad team. Our pitching hasn't changed much, except for the fact that we have added a veteran pitcher.

Our defense was suspect last year as well as this year, and our hitting doesn't seem to have been degraded that much.

The fact that you have Ramirez hitting 8th is a very positive sign (as well as a confusing one since we won't be able to get the maximum production out of him that we probably can). Now that I think of it, I really hope he gets higher in the order because he was one of the few who could hit in the clutch the previous year.

They can believe whatever they want, but I believe that this year will be a better year for the Sox than the previous year.

guillensdisciple
04-05-2009, 04:25 PM
And look at this:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AvlRMHbycIW_lsyj2sk4xGk5nYcB?slug=ys-expertsprojectedstandings040309&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Since when is yahoo pro Red Sox? Jeez, did the Red Sox add someone that will vault them over everyone else, or did I miss something?

Lip Man 1
04-05-2009, 08:08 PM
What is this Eastern Sports Programming Network that you speak of and more importantly, why are you wasting your time with it?

Lip

Marqhead
04-05-2009, 08:22 PM
That many people really think they Rays will win the World Series?

I love their team on paper, but for some reason in the back of my mind I think they are going to have a down year. There is no logical reason to think this, and they have improved during the offseason. I don't think their pitching will perform as well, and I think they'll finish 3rd in the East, closer to the rest of the pack.

doublem23
04-05-2009, 08:29 PM
I love their team on paper, but for some reason in the back of my mind I think they are going to have a down year. There is no logical reason to think this, and they have improved during the offseason. I don't think their pitching will perform as well, and I think they'll finish 3rd in the East, closer to the rest of the pack.

I'm telling you they're not going to do as well because their bullpen will fall back to normal. They dropped over 4 runs off their bullpen ERA from 07-08, no way they have that good a season again.

Marqhead
04-05-2009, 08:35 PM
I'm telling you they're not going to do as well because their bullpen will fall back to normal. They dropped over 4 runs off their bullpen ERA from 07-08, no way they have that good a season again.

That's what I'm thinking as well. Their starting pitching can carry them, but they have a ton of young arms and the innings have been piling up. I see them being suseptible to the injury bug this year. I hope I'm wrong though, I'd love to see them win the East and keep the Yanks/Red Sox out of the playoffs.

cws05champ
04-05-2009, 09:36 PM
And look at this:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AvlRMHbycIW_lsyj2sk4xGk5nYcB?slug=ys-expertsprojectedstandings040309&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Since when is yahoo pro Red Sox? Jeez, did the Red Sox add someone that will vault them over everyone else, or did I miss something?
Its just another prediction, not to get too worked up about. And honestly where these guys have the sox (80-82 wins) is just about where I have them this year.
I think people forget the Red Sox were in game 7 of the ALCS last year and they have added several high upside pitchers and have depth up and down their bullpen and pitching depth in the minors.

rowand33
04-05-2009, 10:07 PM
Jim Caple has Randy Johnson winning the NL Cy Young.

That's ridiculous.

palehozenychicty
04-05-2009, 10:10 PM
The ESPN guys have always loved the Indians, but I just don't see it. Not with that pitching staff. It'll come down to the Sox and Twins again.

I like that the Reds and Marlins are picked as sleeper teams. They have young pitching that people drool over.

Palehose Pete
04-05-2009, 10:25 PM
Since we can pick and choose amongst the various prognosticators as to who we believe, I go with The Talented Mr. Roto. He picks the White Sox to win the AL Central. Plus his picks helped me win my fantasy baseball and football leagues last year. So, there you go.

october23sp
04-05-2009, 10:31 PM
Hahahahahahahaha Someone picked the Twins for the World Series.

If they win the World Series, consider my hat eaten.

Shoeless_Jeff
04-05-2009, 10:51 PM
hahahahahahahaha someone picked the twins for the world series.

If they win the world series, consider my hat eaten.

+1

whitesox901
04-05-2009, 11:13 PM

ditto

BadBobbyJenks
04-06-2009, 12:58 AM
DAMN ESPN! ARGHHHHHHHH!!!!

Gammons did pick Josh Fields as the break out player.

Foulke You
04-06-2009, 02:51 AM
Picking the Twins to win the AL Central is a solid pick and I wouldn't blame any baseball writer to pick them. (I think the White Sox have just as good of a chance to win it though) However, I just don't get the love for the Tribe. They haven't really made a lot of Earth shattering moves in the offseason. Sizemore is still a beast and DeRosa will help their offense but will Victor Martinez rebound? Also, Travis Hafner has looked terrible this Spring and they don't know if he'll ever get back to where he was. The Tribe's starting pitching is also suspect. Cliff Lee probably won't win 20+ games again, Pavano is a long shot to stay healthy, and Kerry Wood is unproven in the AL as well as being injury prone too. I just don't see how they stack up higher than the Sox and Twins when you look at them on paper.

everafan
04-06-2009, 10:13 AM
Mike Greenberg pick the White Sox to will the ALC. Darn him - he just wants to take away our "nobody picked us" rally cry.

kobo
04-06-2009, 10:37 AM
DAMN ESPN! ARGHHHHHHHH!!!!

Gammons did pick Josh Fields as the break out player.
And Gordon Beckham as the AL ROY.

october23sp
04-06-2009, 08:00 PM
Mike Greenberg pick the White Sox to will the ALC. Darn him - he just wants to take away our "nobody picked us" rally cry.

I don't think any team in the Central can boast that this year. I've seen Sox, Royals, Twins, Tigers, Indians all picked. Twins the most, then Indians, then White Sox in the order of how often they are picked.

getonbckthr
04-06-2009, 08:20 PM

That's what I'm thinking as well. Their starting pitching can carry them, but they have a ton of young arms and the innings have been piling up. I see them being suseptible to the injury bug this year. I hope I'm wrong though, I'd love to see them win the East and keep the Yanks/Red Sox out of the playoffs.

ditto
Little devils advocate here. Sure their Bullpen won't be as good but i'm also going to assume their offense will be much better. Crawford is healthy and he had an average year last year. Upton will be a monster this year. Also they go from Cliff Floyd to Pat Burrell at DH.

Marqhead
04-06-2009, 08:35 PM
Little devils advocate here. Sure their Bullpen won't be as good but i'm also going to assume their offense will be much better. Crawford is healthy and he had an average year last year. Upton will be a monster this year. Also they go from Cliff Floyd to Pat Burrell at DH.

They are a better team no doubt. They got healthier, and added Burrell and eventually Price. I just think the high expectations might get to this young team. I hope I'm wrong, I know it has taken 10 years, but I love the team they have built down there and I am a big fan of almost all of their young players. The AL East will most certainly be a very entertaining race.

MarySwiss
04-06-2009, 09:28 PM
Since we can pick and choose amongst the various prognosticators as to who we believe, I go with The Talented Mr. Roto. He picks the White Sox to win the AL Central. Plus his picks helped me win my fantasy baseball and football leagues last year. So, there you go.

The Talented Mr. Roto helped me to suck last year in my FFL. But that doesn't mean he's wrong about the Sox! :cool:

RockyMtnSoxFan
04-07-2009, 01:16 PM
I think most simulations and projections will forecast results similar to the previous year. I'm sure the Rays will be good, but I can see their pitching regressing a little. Plus, it's very hard to repeat a good season. The Sox, Tigers, and Rockies were expected to be very good after successful seasons, but all those innings and some bad luck caught up to them. Everybody remembers last season's success stories, but it's hard for all the little things that go right to create the success to happen two years in a row.

As for the Indians, ESPN and in particular Gammons have had a woodie for them for several years. Gammons was predicting huge things from them in the 2003-2004 time frame. For some reason, he thinks all of their prospects are golden.

Goose
04-07-2009, 01:46 PM
I find the following observation to be quite ridiculous:

Excluding 2 asshats that are picking the Cubs, everyone on that site with the exception of 2 people are picking the WS Champ to come out of the East.

The bias is excruciating!

BadBobbyJenks
04-07-2009, 09:14 PM
I find the following observation to be quite ridiculous:

Excluding 2 asshats that are picking the Cubs, everyone on that site with the exception of 2 people are picking the WS Champ to come out of the East.

The bias is excruciating!

The best division in baseball producing the World Series Champion? BLASPHEMY!

palehozenychicty
04-08-2009, 12:00 PM
I think most simulations and projections will forecast results similar to the previous year. I'm sure the Rays will be good, but I can see their pitching regressing a little. Plus, it's very hard to repeat a good season. The Sox, Tigers, and Rockies were expected to be very good after successful seasons, but all those innings and some bad luck caught up to them. Everybody remembers last season's success stories, but it's hard for all the little things that go right to create the success to happen two years in a row.

As for the Indians, ESPN and in particular Gammons have had a woodie for them for several years. Gammons was predicting huge things from them in the 2003-2004 time frame. For some reason, he thinks all of their prospects are golden.

I really don't know why either, although they seem to play better in odd-numbered years. I can't justify a staff with Carl Pavano as a third starter.

FedEx227
04-08-2009, 12:09 PM
The best division in baseball producing the World Series Champion? BLASPHEMY!

Hahaha, yeah. I'm picking the Red Sox, Mets or Rays to win the World Series, as well.

Boston added some nice pieces in their rotation and the Rays upgraded a lot of their offense and should get a full-healthy year of Crawford. The Mets solidified their biggest weakness.

palehozenychicty
04-08-2009, 12:31 PM
Hahaha, yeah. I'm picking the Red Sox, Mets or Rays to win the World Series, as well.

Boston added some nice pieces in their rotation and the Rays upgraded a lot of their offense and should get a full-healthy year of Crawford. The Mets solidified their biggest weakness.

They did solve the pen, but other than Johan, their starters remain a mystery. Then again, the Phils have the same problem with Hamels.

BadBobbyJenks
04-08-2009, 02:00 PM

I love what Boston did in adding Smoltz and Penny, plus I think Ortiz will be rebound. I also think Lester is going to win the Cy Young. I am picking them to win it all for those reasons.

I thought the Mets fixed their huge weakness in picking up two closers for the 8th and 9th innings. I liked that team a lot except for the pen, now that they have addressed it, I am picking them to win the National League.

Smokey Burg
04-08-2009, 02:33 PM
Never fear. I just asked my magic 8-ball if any of the ESPN predictions were correct. It answered "No".

FedEx227
04-08-2009, 02:37 PM
They did solve the pen, but other than Johan, their starters remain a mystery.

That was hardly a problem for them. They had a decent year out of Oliver Perez, Pelfrey and Maine are both solid. The fact is they score enough runs that if they can actually have something that resembles a bullpen they'll be just fine.

If they had ANY type of closer or relief they would have won the division last year by 5-6 games. I think Johan had like 7 wins taken away from him via a putrid bullpen.

ChiSoxFan81
04-08-2009, 02:40 PM
Never fear. I just asked my magic 8-ball if any of the ESPN predictions were correct. It answered "No".

My Ouija board disagrees.

russ99
04-08-2009, 02:42 PM
I love what Boston did in adding Smoltz and Penny, plus I think Ortiz will be rebound. I also think Lester is going to win the Cy Young. I am picking them to win it all for those reasons.

I thought the Mets fixed their huge weakness in picking up two closers for the 8th and 9th innings. I liked that team a lot except for the pen, now that they have addressed it, I am picking them to win the National League.

The Red Sox have very good pitching, especially of Beckett can return to form. But IMO, the offense has taken a big step back by not replacing Manny's bat. Plus, Papi is a year older and more worn down.

I'd expect Youkilis and Pedroia to have good years, but not as good as last year.

So who in their lineup is going to step up and carry the load? I'm very much underwhelmed by Bay and Drew.

FedEx227
04-08-2009, 02:46 PM
Jason Bay is solid, I've never understood why people dog him so much.

He's no Manny but the guy is a career: .282/.375/.516, 31 HR, 103 RBI.

palehozenychicty
04-09-2009, 12:46 AM
That was hardly a problem for them. They had a decent year out of Oliver Perez, Pelfrey and Maine are both solid. The fact is they score enough runs that if they can actually have something that resembles a bullpen they'll be just fine.

If they had ANY type of closer or relief they would have won the division last year by 5-6 games. I think Johan had like 7 wins taken away from him via a putrid bullpen.

That is true, my friend. Pelfrey came on late in the year, but Maine, Perez, and Hernandez were who I was referring to. I think if K-Fraud and Putz stay healthy, they should get at least the wild card.

I went to one Met-Phils game last year when Santana shut them down and the Phils came up with 5-6 runs in the 9th to win. Happened a lot the last two years for them.That would have blown this site to bits.

palehozenychicty
04-09-2009, 12:47 AM
Jason Bay is solid, I've never understood why people dog him so much.

He's no Manny but the guy is a career: .282/.375/.516, 31 HR, 103 RBI.

It's that Pirates funk. That's all. I'd love to have that guy on this team.