PDA

View Full Version : Sporting News

Early Win!
04-05-2009, 12:46 PM
Looks like the Sox get no respect again. Here is what Sporting News says.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=534578

I would like to see and evaluate last year's prediction by them.

4th Gen. Sox Fan
04-05-2009, 12:54 PM
Apparently GM Kenny Thomas is going to fire Ozzie before the year is out, interesting

Sox
04-05-2009, 01:09 PM
What did Steinbrenner sign this guy in the off season for an extremely large amount of cash to be the imbbeded mouth piece for the Yankees? This guy obviously picked a bad week to quit shoveling horse ****.

chisox77
04-05-2009, 01:48 PM
This article means nothing.

:cool:

Hartman
04-05-2009, 02:01 PM
Every single prediction I've seen thus far has the Cubs winning the division, most having them going to the WS.

Let the curse live on while I throw up.

BainesHOF
04-05-2009, 03:54 PM
I think the Sox will win the division partially out of default.

The Cubs are going to be in trouble because of a crumbling pitching staff. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Cards win that division.

soxpride724
04-05-2009, 04:42 PM
I think the Sox will win the division partially out of default.

The Cubs are going to be in trouble because of a crumbling pitching staff. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Cards win that division.

I'm with you on the Cards maybe taking the N.L central. If the Cubs crumble and don't pull it off then St Louis is my pick to take it.

soxinem1
04-05-2009, 05:05 PM
If you don't like TSN's White Sox prospects for the 2009 season, you will definitely not like the CBS Power Rankings.

We are one above WAS for 23rd, and such teams like BAL, CIN, OAK, DET, TOR, and CLE (Indians at #9!!) are ranked ahead of us. What a crock.

Talk about bias towards teams East of us!!

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/powerrankings

Corlose 15
04-05-2009, 05:34 PM
Here's what I don't get, all the experts seem to really like Getz and a good share of them like Fields and yet they're all still picking the Sox for 3rd at best.

Rohan
04-05-2009, 05:41 PM
Apparently GM Kenny Thomas is going to fire Ozzie before the year is out, interesting

We all know kenny thomas has been fed up with ozzie's shenanigans for awhile now.

Lip Man 1
04-05-2009, 06:57 PM
S.I. picks the Mets over the Angels just FYI.

Every magazine and source I have seen picks the Cubs to win that division and well they should...it's a bad division and they have by far accumulated the most talent.

That doesn't mean they win in the playoffs however.

I understand the feelings given in the predictions about the Sox (except for the eggheads at BP of course) they have questions to be sure but one thing they have that the other teams in the division don't is the fact that if they are in the race at the deadline, Kenny will be allowed to add payroll and get what he needs. As a beat writer that I recently interviewed for WSI told me, "Kenny doesn't have permission to add payroll now but he will at the deadline. Ownership won't stand in the way if they can see any light at the end of the tunnel no matter how small..."

Lip

doublem23
04-05-2009, 07:11 PM
I understand the feelings given in the predictions about the Sox (except for the eggheads at BP of course) they have questions to be sure but one thing they have that the other teams in the division don't is the fact that if they are in the race at the deadline, Kenny will be allowed to add payroll and get what he needs. As a beat writer that I recently interviewed for WSI told me, "Kenny doesn't have permission to add payroll now but he will at the deadline. Ownership won't stand in the way if they can see any light at the end of the tunnel no matter how small..."

Lip

Obviously, when some dude just picks teams based on his "gut" that's totally legit, but when some "computer" runs "data" that could never possibly ever be correct.

:rolleyes:

Lip Man 1
04-05-2009, 07:15 PM
Not at all Double...it's when a math major uses a computer to get a record and then validates it every season in the aftermath by making excuses for why their record was so "wrong..." (well if so and so hadn't gotten hurt or if this had happened, why, we'd be right on the money don't ya know!)

Last I looked computers don't play the game nor the mathematicians doing the programming.

Hope that answers it for you.

Lip

Lip Man 1
04-05-2009, 07:17 PM
And based on BP's "record" the last five years, their computers get it wrong (often big time) far more then they get it "right". Maybe they should try their gut! LOL

Lip

doublem23
04-05-2009, 07:18 PM
Not at all Double...it's when a math major uses a computer to get a record and then validates it every season in the aftermath by making excuses for why their record was so "wrong..." (well if so and so hadn't gotten hurt or if this had happened, why, we'd be right on the money don't ya know!)

Last I looked computers don't play the game nor the mathematicians doing the programming.

Hope that answers it for you.

Lip

Most sports writers don't play the game, either.