PDA

View Full Version : LaMarr Hoyt

BainesHOF
04-04-2009, 08:31 PM
I saw Hoyt at a signing held Saturday afternoon at a Meijer store in Bolingbrook. I thought it was too bad that he was in the store signing autographs rather than as a pitching coach in the organization. I've got to believe that Hoyt would make a great pitching coach. I can't remember watching a smarter Sox pitcher. I know the guy made some mistakes, but that was years ago. It looks like he's gotten his act together. Over the last handful of years, he's always been polite and respectful to all fans at these signings. I sure hope someone gives him a shot to be a coach somewhere.

By the way, the line for Hoyt's autograph was long, surprisingly so. He signed non-stop for the full two hours, then a bit longer to take care of the store's employees. I've been to many current Sox signings that weren't nearly as well attended. It's good to know people still remember what he meant to us. He was a dynamite pitcher for us, especially of course in 1983.

If we could have only gotten to Game 5...

Frater Perdurabo
04-04-2009, 08:34 PM
I was young when he was traded, so I don't remember all of the details. I do know he was dealt to San Diego For Ozzie Guillen, and that once in San Diego it was revealed that he had a drug addiction. Was there any evidence that he was using drugs while with the Sox?

Frater Perdurabo
04-04-2009, 08:36 PM
According to Wikipedia, Hoyt is working for the Sox organization as a roving instructor.

soxinem1
04-04-2009, 08:42 PM
I always loved his moxie when he was going good. Never had great stuff, but he could work with whatever run support he was given.

I felt he was better in most of 1982 than he was in most of 1983. In '83 he got a lot of runs, and just went on a roll.

The tragedy of 1982 was winning 19 games and getting 0 Cy Young votes. It was held against him that he won four games as a reliever. Like it was his fault there was two feet of snow on the ground Opening Week and the rotation got screwed up.

But he is a coach in the organization, and a ST instructor, I believe.

veeter
04-04-2009, 09:08 PM
Dewey Lamar was a pleasure to watch. For about a four year window he was awesome. He never walked anybody.

longtimesoxguy
04-04-2009, 09:28 PM
I saw Hoyt at a signing held Saturday afternoon at a Meijer store in Bolingbrook. I thought it was too bad that he was in the store signing autographs rather than as a pitching coach in the organization. I've got to believe that Hoyt would make a great pitching coach. I can't remember watching a smarter Sox pitcher. I know the guy made some mistakes, but that was years ago. It looks like he's gotten his act together. Over the last handful of years, he's always been polite and respectful to all fans at these signings. I sure hope someone gives him a shot to be a coach somewhere.

By the way, the line for Hoyt's autograph was long, surprisingly so. He signed non-stop for the full two hours, then a bit longer to take care of the store's employees. I've been to many current Sox signings that weren't nearly as well attended. It's good to know people still remember what he meant to us. He was a dynamite pitcher for us, especially of course in 1983.

If we could have only gotten to Game 5...
Boy you aint kidding. If we get to game 5 it was over. And we would of crushed Philly.

DumpJerry
04-05-2009, 12:06 AM
I always said LaMarr had a remote control for the ball like a remote control toy airplane. He made the ball do things that normally cannot be done.

The night Buehrle had his no-no, his control reminded me of LaMarr's remote control.

Lip Man 1
04-05-2009, 12:23 PM
There was no way to know if LaMarr's poor 1984 season that led to his trade to the Padres was drug related, however Roland Hemond told me himself that he and many of the Sox brass had real concerns about LaMarr's ability or desire to keep himself in shape.

At this point the impression I get was that LaMarr's physical conditioning was the main issue.

Lip

BainesHOF
04-05-2009, 03:55 PM
Lip, how about doing a Hoyt interview? Seems a natural.

soxinem1
04-05-2009, 05:12 PM
I always said LaMarr had a remote control for the ball like a remote control toy airplane. He made the ball do things that normally cannot be done.

The night Buehrle had his no-no, his control reminded me of LaMarr's remote control.

I remember the game he pitched early in 1984 against NYY when all he gave up was a wind-dropped single, which was promptly erased on a GIDP.

Hoyt faced the minimum, didn't get a three-ball count on any batter that night, and the game was done in a couple hours.

One of the best pitched games I ever saw.

palehosepub
04-05-2009, 06:41 PM
One of my favorite White Sox stories involved Lamar Hoyt. Lamar was out carousing with the boys one night as he was apt to do. When the trainer opened up the clubhouse the morning after a night game Lamar was passed out on the trainers table with a big burrito laying on top of his chest. True story, not sure how he ended up there...

Lip Man 1
04-05-2009, 07:04 PM
This and that:

I have tried to get LaMarr in the past. I have spoken to him and sent him a DVD copy of a game he pitched against Texas at Comiskey Park in May 1983. However when I tried that number in South Carolina again later, no body ever answered and I tried multiple times.

Here's the game you are talking about:

May 2, 1984 - It was the finest regular season performance by LaMarr Hoyt as he one hit the Yankees winning 3 - 0 at Comiskey Park. The Cy Young Award winner lost his no hitter on a single by Don Mattingly with one out in the seventh inning.

The time that I spoke to LaMarr we talked for about a half hour and one of the things he told me was that when he had it going in 1983, "they couldn't even foul the ball off unless I wanted them to..." He said it in that Carolina drawl and I started laughing. LaMarr never lacked confidence that's for sure!

Lip