PDA

View Full Version : Grobber's 2009 Baseball picks.

Grobber33
04-03-2009, 12:02 AM
***GROBBER'S 2009 BASEBALL PICKS:

AL EAST: Yankees AL WEST: Angels AL CENTRAL: WHITE SOX AL WILD CARD: Rays

NL EAST: Mets NL WEST: Dodgers NL CENTRAL; Cardinals NL WILD CARD: Phillies

For more details and reasons for these picks: www.grobber.com (http://www.grobber.com) on the home page.

doublem23
04-03-2009, 12:48 AM
Picking the Cubs out of the play-offs? Wow, Grobber, are we starting to rub off on you? :superman:

chisoxfanatic
04-03-2009, 01:12 AM
The Cardinals winning the division hinges upon their starting pitching actually staying healthy, which hasn't happened the last couple of seasons.

thomas35forever
04-03-2009, 01:19 AM
A rematch in the World Series? Not a bad prediction.

Frankfan4life
04-03-2009, 06:35 AM
***GROBBER'S 2009 BASEBALL PICKS:

AL EAST: Yankees AL WEST: Angels AL CENTRAL: WHITE SOX AL WILD CARD: Rays

NL EAST: Mets NL WEST: Dodgers NL CENTRAL; Cardinals NL WILD CARD: Phillies

For more details and reasons for these picks: www.grobber.com (http://www.grobber.com) on the home page.I'm pretty sure no other baseball pundit would predict this finish. But, I really hope it works out like this. http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-excited002.gif

Grobber33
04-03-2009, 08:30 AM
Picking the Cubs out of the play-offs? Wow, Grobber, are we starting to rub off on you? :superman:

I think they have too many holes. I've been wrong before,but I don't like the dynamics of that Cub team right now.

DrCrawdad
04-03-2009, 09:24 AM
I think they have too many holes. I've been wrong before, but I don't like the dynamics of that Cub team right now.

Last weekend I listened to the SCORE baseball show on Sunday morning. One of the hosts, Zach Zaidman, has to be a Cubbie fan. It was cast a bright light on the Sox holes and potential holes, while on the other hand gloss over the holes or potential holes of the Cubbies. Then I read Phil Rogers column and posted this on the blog section of his column:

PITCHING:
Zambrano had a near 6 ERA in the 2nd half last season and may still be suffering from whiplash from his NLDS outing.
Ted Lilly, 2007? Can you say "career year?" He (inhaled) in the WBC & has been unimpressive in ST so far. Look for Lilly to be throwing his glove on to the mound a lot this season.
Dempster, look in the dictionary for "career year" and it has Dempster's picture. He too may still be suffering from severe whiplash after his pathetic NLDS outing.
Harden, can be very, very good when he's healthy. When he's healthy.
Marshall, the plan for him is to be the #5. He could be good, he could be bad.

So the way some could see it is question marks on every starter.

OFFENSE:
Bradley gives them a HUGE improvement over the 6 week wonder, Fuku. Again, that's IF Bradley's healthy. Derrek Lee is a question mark with his declining run production. Soto, can he repeat his great rookie season? I bet he regresses. The other change is CF, where apparently Fuku. has the job for the time being. Unless he improves dramatically, his only positive contribution is his defense.

DEFENSE:
Soriano-Fuku.-Bradley, I call that a poor defense. I read discussions about Soriano being the best LF in MLB. A strong arm does not a great outfielder make. I think Soriano wears a baseball glove in the OF solely to keep his left hand warm, because he sure does use it to defend. Anybody who rates Soriano as anything over average in the outfield needs to lift their heads out of a stats book and try watching him play.

The only other change is Fontenot at 2nd. Fontenot is not a good defensive player.

BULLPEN:
This along with their sub-par defense along with the (potential) troubles in the starting staff could be a real source of trouble for the Cubs. Gregg blew 9 games for the Marlins in a limited role as the closer. And Gregg looks to be the closer. The much ballyhooed Marmol struggled in the WBC and hasn't been that tough this spring. I call their BP to be a weakness.

Good thing the Cubs are in lame NL Central.

DrCrawdad
04-03-2009, 09:30 AM
Carlos Zambrano must bounce back from a late season slump(the no hitter against Houston in Milwaukee aside) and Dempster needs to pitch as well on the road as he does at home.

Zambrano was terrific in his first 18 starts. But It wasn't just "late season slump" as he was bad in his last 12 starts (http://www.baseball-reference.com/pi/psplit.cgi?n1=zambrca01&year=2008) - a 5.80 ERA!

They way the no nothing National Media has it, they might as well not even play the Regular Season-just place the Cubs into the post season. I don't see it quite that way. While the Cubs should rightfully be favored, they have as many questions as anyone.

I agree! However it's not just the national media, as I illustrated in my first post in this thread.

jabrch
04-03-2009, 09:45 AM
If both the Cubs and the Red Cubs don't make the post season, I'll eat my underwear.

TommyJohn
04-03-2009, 09:55 AM

Grobber picks the White Sox for 1st and the Cubs for 4th place EVERY year.

Grobber33
04-03-2009, 11:08 AM

I didn't Pick the Cubs for 4th

skobabe8
04-03-2009, 11:18 AM
Grobber is DEFINATELY one of ours! :D::cool:

TommyJohn
04-03-2009, 11:42 AM
I didn't Pick the Cubs for 4th

I got it half right.

DrCrawdad
04-03-2009, 11:47 PM

Picking the Cubbies low and the Sox high has been the M.O. of Grobber, and I've called him out on that in the past. However, I think this years Cubbie club is over-rated and the holes in the team have been largely covered over.

LoveYourSuit
04-04-2009, 02:47 PM
Picking the Cubbies low and the Sox high has been the M.O. of Grobber, and I've called him out on that in the past. However, I think this years Cubbie club is over-rated and the holes in the team have been largely covered over.

Seriously, get off it.

How over-rated can the Cubs be in such a miserable division?

Anyone who doesn't think the Cubs can win the central this year needs to check in to their local hospital.

DrCrawdad
04-04-2009, 07:11 PM
Seriously, get off it.

How over-rated can the Cubs be in such a miserable division?

Anyone who doesn't think the Cubs can win the central this year needs to check in to their local hospital.

Where did I say they would not win the division? My first post had this comment after I "analyzed" the '08 Cubbies.

The Cubbies should win the NL Central. And they've done that the the last two years. In '07 they won a mere 85 games in the worst division in the weak sister league. In spite of that FACT there are sports writers, sports talk hosts and many Cubbie fans who boast who they've "dominated" the NL Central two years straight.

They can and should win the NL Central, but does that mean that can not have "holes" or that they are "overated."

Now you, "seriously, get off it."

JB98
04-04-2009, 07:31 PM
I would love to see the Cubs fall on their faces, but I don't see it happening in that soft division.

getonbckthr
04-04-2009, 07:51 PM
I'm trying to find all these holes the Cubs have. bradley will be fine. He's a strange guy in that opposed to playing to earn his contract he will play to prove himself worthy of it. Backwards I know. Fukudome will either succeed or they switch to the better player in Johnson. Their bullpen is solid and their staff will be ok.

DrCrawdad
04-04-2009, 08:10 PM
I'm trying to find all these holes the Cubs have. bradley will be fine. He's a strange guy in that opposed to playing to earn his contract he will play to prove himself worthy of it. Backwards I know. Fukudome will either succeed or they switch to the better player in Johnson. Their bullpen is solid and their staff will be ok.

Their BP is solid? Oh, you know Gregg who blew what 10 saves last year. The same "solid" guy who's on his 4th different team in 6 years. You know Carlos Marmol, the guy who looked like crap in the WBC, the guy who lost the closer role, no questions there.

Yeah, why bother reading (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2186369&postcount=7) just close your eyes, cover your ears and get out your Cubbie "W" flag.

getonbckthr
04-04-2009, 08:12 PM
Their BP is solid? Oh, you know Gregg who blew what 10 saves last year. The same "solid" guy who's on his 5th different team in 6 years. You know Carlos Marmol, the guy who looked like crap in the WBC, the guy who lost the closer role, no questions there.

Yeah, why bother reading (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2186369&postcount=7) just close your eyes, cover your ears and get out your Cubbie "W" flag.
While blowing those 10 saves he also had a blown-out knee. When did Marmol lose the closer role? He never had it to begin with.

DrCrawdad
04-04-2009, 08:23 PM
While blowing those 10 saves he also had a blown-out knee. When did Marmol lose the closer role? He never had it to begin with.

Kevin Gregg Beats Out Carlos Marmol As Closer (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/baseball/mlb/03/29/gregg.cubs.closer.ap/index.html)

Craig Grebeck
04-04-2009, 08:27 PM
Last weekend I listened to the SCORE baseball show on Sunday morning. One of the hosts, Zach Zaidman, has to be a Cubbie fan. It was cast a bright light on the Sox holes and potential holes, while on the other hand gloss over the holes or potential holes of the Cubbies. Then I read Phil Rogers column and posted this on the blog section of his column:

PITCHING:
Zambrano had a near 6 ERA in the 2nd half last season and may still be suffering from whiplash from his NLDS outing.
Ted Lilly, 2007? Can you say "career year?" He (inhaled) in the WBC & has been unimpressive in ST so far. Look for Lilly to be throwing his glove on to the mound a lot this season.
Dempster, look in the dictionary for "career year" and it has Dempster's picture. He too may still be suffering from severe whiplash after his pathetic NLDS outing.
Harden, can be very, very good when he's healthy. When he's healthy.
Marshall, the plan for him is to be the #5. He could be good, he could be bad.

So the way some could see it is question marks on every starter.

OFFENSE:
Bradley gives them a HUGE improvement over the 6 week wonder, Fuku. Again, that's IF Bradley's healthy. Derrek Lee is a question mark with his declining run production. Soto, can he repeat his great rookie season? I bet he regresses. The other change is CF, where apparently Fuku. has the job for the time being. Unless he improves dramatically, his only positive contribution is his defense.

DEFENSE:
Soriano-Fuku.-Bradley, I call that a poor defense. I read discussions about Soriano being the best LF in MLB. A strong arm does not a great outfielder make. I think Soriano wears a baseball glove in the OF solely to keep his left hand warm, because he sure does use it to defend. Anybody who rates Soriano as anything over average in the outfield needs to lift their heads out of a stats book and try watching him play.

The only other change is Fontenot at 2nd. Fontenot is not a good defensive player.

BULLPEN:
This along with their sub-par defense along with the (potential) troubles in the starting staff could be a real source of trouble for the Cubs. Gregg blew 9 games for the Marlins in a limited role as the closer. And Gregg looks to be the closer. The much ballyhooed Marmol struggled in the WBC and hasn't been that tough this spring. I call their BP to be a weakness.

Your bias shines through. They're a solid ballclub with less holes than the White Sox, sadly. Will we be better? I hope so. I hope we're a good team, but I don't like our roster at this point.

getonbckthr
04-04-2009, 08:27 PM
Kevin Gregg Beats Out Carlos Marmol As Closer (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/baseball/mlb/03/29/gregg.cubs.closer.ap/index.html)
You make it sound like he was the closer last year and Gregg took it from him. Name another relief pitcher you would have over Marmol? There aren't many.

DrCrawdad
04-04-2009, 08:29 PM
Your bias shines through. They're a solid ballclub with less holes than the White Sox, sadly. Will we be better? I hope so. I hope we're a good team, but I don't like our roster at this point.

And not a single point of argument against my points. And your bias and _ _ _ _ love shines thru, again.

Craig Grebeck
04-04-2009, 08:31 PM
And not a single point of argument against my points. And your bias and _ _ _ _ love shines thru, again.
I'm not going to construct that long of a post about the Cubs. Sorry, I'm neither Cubsessed nor bored enough to construct such a pointless diatribe.

You criticized the Score personality for being a Cub fan and seeing more holes on the Sox than truly exist; then, you yourself (as a Sox fan) saw more holes in the Cubs than truly exist.

DrCrawdad
04-04-2009, 08:34 PM
I'm not going to construct that long of a post about the Cubs. Sorry, I'm neither Cubsessed nor bored enough to construct such a pointless diatribe.

ROFLMAO!

No, you're not Cubsessed you just spend a lot of your time attacking anyone who dare post critical remarks of anything Cubbie AND defending the Cubbies on a Sox discussion group.:rolleyes:

No, don't defend what you stated with reasons, facts or logic just attack the person.

getonbckthr
04-04-2009, 08:37 PM
ROFLMAO!

No, you're not Cubsessed you just spend a lot of your time defending them on a Sox discussion group.:rolleyes:

No, don't defend what you stated with reasons, facts or logic just attack the person.
So what if he defends them? If his opinion is different than someone else's he can express it. If he disagrees with someone why can't he correct him? Because its about the Cubs? I'm trying to figure out why Cub fans and Sox fans should hate each other? What effect do they have on each other as far as winning? What 6 games a year? In that case your hatred should equal for every other team we play 6 times and moreso for the teams we play 9 and 19.

DrCrawdad
04-04-2009, 08:38 PM
So what if he defends them? If his opinion is different than someone else's he can express it. If he disagrees with someone why can't he correct him? Because its about the Cubs? I'm trying to figure out why Cub fans and Sox fans should hate each other? What effect do they have on each other as far as winning? What 6 games a year? In that case your hatred should equal for every other team we play 6 times and moreso for the teams we play 9 and 19.

I just find it funny that a guy regularly blasts people for being "Cubsessed" on one hand, then other the other hand spends a lot of time defending all things Cubbie on a Sox board. Who's "Cubsessed?"

getonbckthr
04-04-2009, 08:41 PM
I just find it funny that a guy regularly blasts people for being "Cubsessed" on one hand, then other the other hand spends a lot of time defending all things Cubbie on a Sox board. Who's "Cubsessed?"
Possibly I haven't followed him as a poster. I was making a general statement about the bull**** Cub-Sox rivalry.

russ99
04-04-2009, 10:26 PM
They're a solid ballclub with less holes than the White Sox, sadly.

I'll give you that. But it is hard to be objective about such a hated rival. But I'll try.

The one thing you can count on is the Cubs will score runs, a lot of runs. The lineup is very solid. Probably in the top-3 in the NL.

If the rotation pitches as well as last year, they'll be fine, but they have to have worries about a slipback from last year's career years for a lot of them. Lilly and Dempster have not looked good this spring, but I suspect they'll step it up once the real games start.

The bullpen returns only 1 pitcher from opening day last year, and they had to pick 1-2 guys they're not sure of to set the roster. This is the sole weakness on the club. Marmol's lights out, but looks like he can't handle the pressure of closing, and Gregg's a second-tier closer at best. Heilman's looked simply awful the last few years in New York, but a change could do him good.

The real concern with the Cubs is they no longer have the depth of years past. If a few key players get injured, they could fall back. There's no backup 3B or 1B, no power hitting backup in the OF. They also don't have the 2-3 ready-groomed pitchers in the minors like last season.

But every year there's a surprise team per league, and I'm thinking the Reds being the NL team this year.

So if they have a real challenger for the division title, who's to say if the Cubs can take it? They had a real hard time in the playoffs with the pressure and fan expectations, and I'm not sure that will change at all this year. If anything, it could be worse since the natives are getting more and more restless...

Plus there's the potential for the steel-cage match in CF of Zambozo vs. Bradley. :D:

DrCrawdad
04-04-2009, 10:54 PM
I'll give you that. But it is hard to be objective about such a hated rival. But I'll try.

The one thing you can count on is the Cubs will score runs, a lot of runs. The lineup is very solid. Probably in the top-3 in the NL.

If the rotation pitches as well as last year, they'll be fine, but they have to have worries about a slipback from last year's career years for a lot of them. Lilly and Dempster have not looked good this spring, but I suspect they'll step it up once the real games start.

The bullpen returns only 1 pitcher from opening day last year, and they had to pick 1-2 guys they're not sure of to set the roster. This is the sole weakness on the club. Marmol's lights out, but looks like he can't handle the pressure of closing, and Gregg's a second-tier closer at best. Heilman's looked simply awful the last few years in New York, but a change could do him good.

The real concern with the Cubs is they no longer have the depth of years past. If a few key players get injured, they could fall back. There's no backup 3B or 1B, no power hitting backup in the OF. They also don't have the 2-3 ready-groomed pitchers in the minors like last season.

But every year there's a surprise team per league, and I'm thinking the Reds being the NL team this year.

So if they have a real challenger for the division title, who's to say if the Cubs can take it? They had a real hard time in the playoffs with the pressure and fan expectations, and I'm not sure that will change at all this year. If anything, it could be worse since the natives are getting more and more restless...

Plus there's the potential for the steel-cage match in CF of Zambozo vs. Bradley. :D:

I found it interesting and revealing that "CraigGrebeck" brought up a counter ("Your bias shines through. They're a solid ballclub with less holes than the White Sox, sadly.") but I never said nor implied the Sox had less holes than the Cubbies. My whole point was that people examine the Sox and focus on the Sox "holes" and potential holes and gloss over the Sox strengths. Then when it comes to the Cubbies they go right to the strengths and ignore the Cubbies holes and potential holes. I applied that same sarcastic, critical examination of the Cubbies that they love to see done on the Sox.

The holes of the Cubbies have been illustrated the last two games against the Yankees: Lilly was bad, very bad. Fuku. and Bradley played very poorly defensively.

The Cubbies may very well win the NL Central, but that will likely reflect more on the lousiness of the NL Central than the strengths of the Cubbies.

Nellie_Fox
04-05-2009, 01:55 AM
How over-rated can the Cubs be in such a miserable division?I'm hearing baseball "expert" after baseball "expert" say they're the best team in the National League. So, it's not just overrating them in a weak division.

WhiteSox5187
04-05-2009, 02:16 AM
I'm hearing baseball "expert" after baseball "expert" say they're the best team in the National League. So, it's not just overrating them in a weak division.
I hate to defend them, but on paper the Cubs are one of the three best teams in the NL.

Sure if things fall apart for them they could struggle, but I wouldn't put money on it. However, I don't think that they are going to win 97 games next year. 90, maybe. But not 97.

cards press box
04-05-2009, 03:15 AM
I'm hearing baseball "expert" after baseball "expert" say they're the best team in the National League. So, it's not just overrating them in a weak division.

Many commentators have dubbed the Cubs as the class of the National League but I don't see it. For one thing, the Phillies are the defending World Champs. Shouldn't the Cubs have to demonstrate that they are better than Philly before anyone calls them the best team in the NL?

In addition to Philadelphia, the L.A. Dodgers have a team that is on the rise and may be better than the Cubs.

Putting other teams aside, the Cubs appear to have a good offense but other than Theriot, what speed do they have? And Theriot has shown a pattern of slowing down late in the season.

The Cubs lack speed, are very iffy defensively (especially in the outfield) and have their pitching questions. Does Ryan Dempster back up his 2008 season with an equally impressive 2009? He had not started for a number of years before 2008, so we don't know. Will Rich Harden stay healthy? Is Ted Lilly in decline? Do the Cubs have any relievers they can really trust, other than Carlos Marmol? What's more, can Milton Bradley stay healthy? How will Bradley deal with the pressure of Wrigley?

I'm not saying that the Cubs won't have a good season. But are they the mortal locks that the media says they are?

DrCrawdad
04-05-2009, 08:44 AM

Your bias shines through. Please be aware that you're supposed to show reverential awe to the Cubs on this Sox board.

They're a solid ballclub with less holes than the White Sox. Do not ever post such a critical analysis of the Cubs again. It is against the bounds of good taste to discuss holes or potential holes of the Cubs. My god man, have you no dignity?

Will we be better? I hope so. I hope we're a good team, but I don't like our roster at this point. The Sox can only aspire to the greatness of the 2009 Cubs.

DickAllen72
04-05-2009, 12:16 PM
One thing to consider about the Cubs is that in 2008 just about everything went right for them. I'm not making any "predictions" per se, but I can see the Cubs having a season similar to the White Sox 2007 season. If not that bad, I can still see them falling off a bit from last year and one of the other NL central teams having a "magical" season of sorts.

I do think the Bradley signing was a good move for them, but I don't see any other major improvements for them, and he may not stay healthy.

All I'm saying is I don't think the Cubs are a shoe-in to win their division let alone the NL pennant. As the cliche goes, "I guess that's why they play the games."

DickAllen72
04-05-2009, 12:18 PM
I'm not saying that the Cubs won't have a good season. But are they the mortal locks that the media says they are?
Definitely not.

Craig Grebeck
04-05-2009, 03:44 PM
Your bias shines through. Please be aware that you're supposed to show reverential awe to the Cubs on this Sox board.

They're a solid ballclub with less holes than the White Sox. Do not ever post such a critical analysis of the Cubs again. It is against the bounds of good taste to discuss holes or potential holes of the Cubs. My god man, have you no dignity?

Will we be better? I hope so. I hope we're a good team, but I don't like our roster at this point. The Sox can only aspire to the greatness of the 2009 Cubs.
Got me.

That's some quality discourse you're putting forth. Really.

BadBobbyJenks
04-05-2009, 04:40 PM
The only hole I see in the Cubs team is Bullpen depth. Otherwise they brought the same team minus Derosa and added Bradley. Gregg and Wood are pretty close to a wash.

They are going to win around 95 games and cruise to a division title, what they do in the post season, now that is a different story.

areilly
04-05-2009, 06:35 PM
The only hole I see in the Cubs team is Bullpen depth. Otherwise they brought the same team minus Derosa and added Bradley.

I don't see Bradley as an upgrade over DeRosa in the context of playing in the National League. Bradley is a DH at best who enjoyed a stellar year - and this is not a knock on Aramis Ramirez by any means - batting behind a superior hitter in Josh Hamilton. His lousy defense and injury history will overcome whatever might is in his bat, mark my words.

That said, the NLC is the Cubs' to lose.

sox2000divchamps
04-05-2009, 06:41 PM
One thing to consider about the Cubs is that in 2008 just about everything went right for them. I'm not making any "predictions" per se, but I can see the Cubs having a season similar to the White Sox 2007 season. If not that bad, I can still see them falling off a bit from last year and one of the other NL central teams having a "magical" season of sorts.

I do think the Bradley signing was a good move for them, but I don't see any other major improvements for them, and he may not stay healthy.

All I'm saying is I don't think the Cubs are a shoe-in to win their division let alone the NL pennant. As the cliche goes, "I guess that's why they play the games."

Exactly what I was thinking.

Grobber33
04-05-2009, 07:35 PM
Last weekend I listened to the SCORE baseball show on Sunday morning. One of the hosts, Zach Zaidman, has to be a Cubbie fan.

I know Zach and can assure you he is a die hard METS Fan and does not like the Cubs. In fact,he roots for the Sox to beat the Cubs every time they play since looking at it from a Met Fan's standpoint, each Cub loss to an AL team helps the Amazins. Zach is from NYC, but he's a good guy and calls a good game for DePaul,and it was a major challenge for him this past season(obviously).

DrCrawdad
04-05-2009, 09:04 PM
Got me.

That's some quality discourse you're putting forth. Really.

http://badattitudes.com/MT/archives/GoEnglish_com_ThePotCallingTheKettleBlack.gif

Craig Grebeck
04-06-2009, 10:24 AM
http://badattitudes.com/MT/archives/GoEnglish_com_ThePotCallingTheKettleBlack.gif
No, really. I don't believe my post was that worthy of ridicule, but your objectivity and capacity for well-reasoned, intelligent debate (or posting for that matter) is always in doubt.

Nellie_Fox
04-06-2009, 12:03 PM
No, really. I don't believe my post was that worthy of ridicule, but your objectivity and capacity for well-reasoned, intelligent debate (or posting for that matter) is always in doubt.Knock it off.

soxrme
04-06-2009, 04:37 PM
I believe you didn't pick the cubs because of some kind of jinx and curse thing, but my queston to you is why are you not on in drive time radio on either station. You know more about baseball than all 5 of those guys put together.

Grobber33
04-06-2009, 06:12 PM
I believe you didn't pick the cubs because of some kind of jinx and curse thing, but my queston to you is why are you not on in drive time radio on either station. You know more about baseball than all 5 of those guys put together.

I would say,ask Management. But that's nice of you to say that. As for why I picked the Cubs(and Sox)where I did,a jinx has nothing to do with it. I don't believe in a jinx.I do believe in incompetence however,and while I feel Jim Hendry is doing the best he can, many of his predecessors showed they did not know what they were doing.
I have been saying all along that I think the Sox will repeat in the ALC and return to the Post Season for the 1st time ever. Cleveland sure got off to a roaring start today didn't they? And with Cliff Lee getting whacked.

DickAllen72
04-06-2009, 06:55 PM
I would say,ask Management. But that's nice of you to say that.
Grobber, you would not fit in with the rest of drive time Sportstalk radio nor current Chicago Sportstalk radio at all. And I mean that in a very complimentary way.

MarySwiss
04-06-2009, 07:37 PM
I would say,ask Management. But that's nice of you to say that. As for why I picked the Cubs(and Sox)where I did,a jinx has nothing to do with it. I don't believe in a jinx.I do believe in incompetence however,and while I feel Jim Hendry is doing the best he can, many of his predecessors showed they did not know what they were doing.
I have been saying all along that I think the Sox will repeat in the ALC and return to the Post Season for the 1st time ever. Cleveland sure got off to a roaring start today didn't they? And with Cliff Lee getting whacked.

Nice! I resisted the temptation to e-mail my smug (not sure why!) Tribe fan friend to point out that it looks like that whole wire-to-wire thing just isn't going to work out for them!

Unless they can go wire-to-wire in last place (which I doubt).

NLaloosh
04-06-2009, 07:59 PM
The only 2 teams in the A.L. Central with enough pitching to win the division are the White Sox and Minnesota.

Thatguyoverthere
04-07-2009, 01:13 AM
I hate the Cubs as much as anyone but it's far from a stretch to say they might be the best team in the NL. You can make a good case for the Phillies, and maybe the Mets and Dodgers being better. So, at worst, the Cubs are the 4th best team in the NL.