PDA

View Full Version : Uni Watch's 2009 MLB Preview

doublem23
04-02-2009, 09:51 PM
One of the best preseason columns out there, Paul Lukas runs down the major and minor changes to baseball uniforms this year.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=lukas/090402&sportCat=mlb

Love the Orioles' new digs, hate the Red Sox's.

scarsofthumper
04-02-2009, 11:06 PM
I actually love the Red Sox' new road set.

I still hate the Mets' patches and wish Washington would make their home look like their road.

WhiteSox5187
04-03-2009, 03:02 AM
I actually love the Red Sox' new road set.

I still hate the Mets' patches and wish Washington would make their home look like their road.

The Mets have had a bad uniform ever since they adopted black as one of their primary colors. Get rid of it by god!

Whappeh
04-03-2009, 03:29 AM
I'm just bummed at the lack of two-tone hats in the bigs.

whitesox901
04-03-2009, 04:30 AM
like the Nats alternative jerseys
hate the plain white phills jerseys
like the orioles sleeve patch
like the black o's jersey
like what the red sox have done
still like the Twins alternative jerseys and like the throwback

anything else I have no formal opinion

Marqhead
04-03-2009, 07:14 AM
Really glad the O's went back to "Baltimore" on the road.

Texas scrapped their helmets before the season could begin - another good thing.

The Mets stadium patch is god awful, and I can't believe they are going to play 162 games with a dominos logo on their sleeves.

DSpivack
04-03-2009, 07:36 AM

Texas scrapped their helmets before the season could begin - another good thing.

The Mets stadium patch is god awful, and I can't believe they are going to play 162 games with a dominos logo on their sleeves.

The alternate stadium logo looks fine, don't know why they didn't go with that.

Mendoza Line
04-03-2009, 08:20 AM

Those Texas helmets were hilariously bad! I'm a little sad to see them go, since I wanted to catch a glimpse of them in real life!

skobabe8
04-03-2009, 10:22 AM
The alternate stadium logo looks fine, don't know why they didn't go with that.

Does the alternate say 'Citi Field' on it? If so, they can't have a coorperation on a jersey.

skobabe8
04-03-2009, 10:24 AM
The Mets have had a bad uniform ever since they adopted black as one of their primary colors. Get rid of it by god!

I totally agree. The black with the Mets has nothing to do with anything. It was 100% to try and sell jerseys to the kids who think its cool or whatever.

It just looks awful.

doublem23
04-03-2009, 10:37 AM
Does the alternate say 'Citi Field' on it? If so, they can't have a coorperation on a jersey.

No. They're wearing the other patch on the side of their hat. You can see what it will look like in this gif:

http://blogs.nypost.com/sports/mets/Mets-hat.gif

I can't find a good, clean image of the final patch, but it looks like this only put 2009 at the top (over citi Field) and the cut it off underneathe season.

http://metsmerizedonline.com/images/3174470956_e547c97ba0_o.png

skobabe8
04-03-2009, 10:43 AM
No. They're wearing the other patch on the side of their hat. You can see what it will look like in this gif:

http://blogs.nypost.com/sports/mets/Mets-hat.gif

I can't find a good, clean image of the final patch, but it looks like this only put 2009 at the top (over citi Field) and the cut it off underneathe season.

http://metsmerizedonline.com/images/3174470956_e547c97ba0_o.png

I just found that on Uni Watch. That patch on the hat is a really good looking design. It only makes sense that the Mets would screw it up and not put it on their sleeves.

esbrechtel
04-03-2009, 11:01 AM
I am really surprised to see the Cubs getting rid of the red bill....

Baltimore looks great, and I saw those damn texas helmets in MLB the show yesterday, yuck!

VenturaFan23
04-03-2009, 02:39 PM
I kind of liked the Twins navy blue jerseys. Sad to see them go.

Average Homeboy
04-03-2009, 03:17 PM
LOL...

http://www3.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/San+Diego+Padres+v+Texas+Rangers+acss_FBZFmWl.jpg

goon
04-03-2009, 03:38 PM
I like the Pirates black jersey, the one team besides the Sox where a black jersey makes sense.

johnnyg83
04-03-2009, 03:54 PM
I kind of liked the Twins navy blue jerseys. Sad to see them go.

I think they're keeping the blue with the TWINS on the front and scrapping the MINNESOTA ones.

Red Barchetta
04-03-2009, 05:55 PM

Baltimore looks great, and I saw those damn texas helmets in MLB the show yesterday, yuck!

I'm surprised the Cubs dropped the hat as well as I thought the red-white-blue color scheme was to help establish their "America's Team" image.

I still can't believe they have the cute bear cub with extended paw alternate jerseys. Why don't they just use the regular Cub logo on a blue jersey?!

I was watching a rain-delay show on the 1969 Cubs and I hate to admit that their road uniforms actually looked pretty good. They should retro back into those unis. Especially since they are so captivated with losing...:D:

Frater Perdurabo
04-03-2009, 06:56 PM
I'm glad the Sox aren't making unnecessary changes to the best uniforms in MLB.

FloridaTigers
04-04-2009, 12:48 AM
I'm glad the Sox aren't making unnecessary changes to the best uniforms in MLB.

I dunno about best (:rolleyes:) but it seems like the Sox have a winning combo, after forty years of red pinstripes, baby blue, shorts, "the future", and whatnot.

As a Tigers fan, I pretty much never expect uniform changes in the off-season. The home will never change, and the current aways are becoming their own classic.

shes
04-04-2009, 02:11 PM
Nope, Sox are best :tongue:

The new lettering/numbering for Texas is horrendous.

I think each team should have an alternate pull-over uniform, ala...

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/5214/georgebrett.jpg (http://img26.imageshack.us/my.php?image=georgebrett.jpg)

Love that style of uni.

michned
04-04-2009, 03:13 PM
I love that A's prospect Corey Wimberly is wearing green stirrups! Everything is cyclical - maybe stirrups will come back.

EnglishChiSox
04-04-2009, 03:58 PM
I love that A's prospect Corey Wimberly is wearing green stirrups! Everything is cyclical - maybe stirrups will come back.

They're a bit extreme, i prefer Nyjer Morgan's.

WhiteSox5187
04-04-2009, 04:22 PM
They're a bit extreme, i prefer Nyjer Morgan's.

They're about the same, they both wear the high cut look. I'd love to see that look come back!

october23sp
04-04-2009, 05:44 PM

I am the only one on my high school team to rock the stirrups.:D:

WhiteSox5187
04-04-2009, 10:17 PM
I am the only one on my high school team to rock the stirrups.:D:
Good to hear! I was the only one on my college team to rock 'em, and lo and behold, this year we got a third baseman who asked me where I got 'em and next week he was wearing a pair of his own!

Nellie_Fox
04-05-2009, 12:52 AM
Stirrups rule! I'm happy to see them starting to creep back. :geezer:

WhiteSox5187
04-05-2009, 01:11 AM
Stirrups rule! I'm happy to see them starting to creep back. :geezer:
It's like I tell my friends, it is the way a baseball uniform was meant to be worn. I'm not a good ball player, but god damn, I can wear that uniform!

Foulke You
04-06-2009, 02:19 AM
Those red bill Cubs hats were horrible. Not that I like any Cubs hat but those are far worse than the solid blue ones. Red Barchetta is right though, those alt blue jerseys with the rat running through the red C is one of the worst in baseball. They must be a good seller though because the Cubs tried to get rid of it one year and then brought it back. It is the most pwecious wittle uniform in baseball.:tongue:

esbrechtel
04-13-2009, 09:32 AM
The new Cards alternate hat is AMAZING they wore it yesterday....I absoluetly love it