PDA

View Full Version : This is going to make PHG very sick

Jerry_Manuel
08-04-2001, 12:23 AM
(I'm not saying I agree or disagree but those of you on the White Sox email list know how PHG feels about Clayton)

From the Trib:
Good glove: Royce Clayton, who ranks third among American League shortstops with a .988 fielding average, is on course to break the club record .983 that Ron Hansen set in 1963. Clayton, who had a career-best .977 last year with Texas, has not committed an error since June 16 in St. Louis and had made only one error in his last 63 games.

Tragg
08-04-2001, 12:27 AM
The article's correct - he's another Ron Hansen.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-04-2001, 12:29 AM
You know what's funny about that? Ron Hansen is the shortstop the Sox got from Baltimore when they traded Luis Aparicio. Nobody would ever mistaken Hansen as a better SS than Little Looie but Hansen set the record for best fielding percentage.

What does that tell you about the value of that particular statistic?

Royce Clayton sucks and so does Comiskey's official scorer.

:)

Jerry_Manuel
08-04-2001, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
You know what's funny about that? Ron Hansen is the shortstop the Sox got from Baltimore when they traded Luis Aparicio. Nobody would ever mistaken Hansen as a better SS than Little Looie but Hansen set the record for best fielding percentage.

What does that tell you about the value of that particular statistic?

Royce Clayton sucks and so does Comiskey's official scorer.

:)

That wasn't to bad, I thought you were going to go on a big tear like you did on the list. I have learned that you really don't like Royce!

PutItOnTheBoard
08-04-2001, 12:33 AM
Ray Durham 102 Games 12 HR 38 RBI .336 OBP .433 SLG .260 AVG
Royce Clayton 85 Games 6 HR 33 RBI .287 OBP .362 SLG .240 AVG

Salaries Ray: 5,900,000 Royce: 4,500,000

Jerry_Manuel
08-04-2001, 12:35 AM
No Ray is just having a bad year. Besides he is apart of the "core" that Williams loves to talk about. So he isn't going anywhere.

Iguana775
08-04-2001, 10:19 AM
i hope you are right, jerry. ray better get his head out of his ass and have a really good year next year.

oldcomiskey
08-04-2001, 10:44 AM
I cant speak for Ron Hansen but the stat on hitless is very decieving--I mean did anybody show the range that Manos did last year---and I was watching the Sox on the KC network on the dish and they were talking about how the game has changed to where an offensive SS is better suited to todays game than a defensive SS and KW is just now finding that out--besides Clayton takes away AB from Jose and Milk too....And with all the hurt bugs flying around---we still are in it--although barely--makes you wonder how good this team couldve been

Tragg
08-04-2001, 11:00 AM
I agree comiskey.

Last year we played with two non-hitters in the lineup. The addition of clayton increased that total by 50%. The addition of baines who hasn't hit in years, increased that total by another 50%, such that we went from two holes to four holes. And then consider the subtaction was Thomas, the best hitter in baseball over the last 10 years.
That takes you from a 90+ win team to a .500 team in a flash.

oldcomiskey
08-04-2001, 11:10 AM
when I was discussing the plight of 01 with an Indian fan--he said he was still worried because even eith the injuries we have the personell to take this thing---the desire--I dont know about--but he was raving about the job that Manuel has done---he wants to know if we can trade Manuels--I said well, I dont think so