PDA

View Full Version : TEX Releases Frank Catalanotto

soxinem1
04-02-2009, 11:53 AM
To make room for Andruw Jones:

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/story/11579109

Now he just might be a serviceable guy........

esbrechtel
04-02-2009, 12:00 PM
This is the first released guy that I truly have interest in. I always liked this guy with the bluejays...

My only thought is if the Sox went after him where would he play, he would be nice as a pinch hitter though...

russ99
04-02-2009, 12:01 PM
This is the first released guy that I truly have interest in. I always liked this guy with the bluejays...

My only thought is if the Sox went after him where would he play, he would be nice as a pinch hitter though...

Is he that much better than Betemit at this point? That's who he would likely replace.

esbrechtel
04-02-2009, 12:12 PM
To be honest I haven't seen too much of Betemit....besides what I have seen this spring...

I won't argue for either side since I only know what I have seen from Frank and not a large enough sample size from Wilson....

eriqjaffe
04-02-2009, 12:26 PM
Is he that much better than Betemit at this point? That's who he would likely replace.Except that Catalanotto doesn't have the defensive versatility that Betemit has. It'd basically be like picking up Ross Gload again.

soxinem1
04-02-2009, 01:34 PM
Except that Catalanotto doesn't have the defensive versatility that Betemit has. It'd basically be like picking up Ross Gload again.

Betemit has done nothing to ease the defensive concerns of the team this Spring. It is one of the reasons he is not a regular player.

Catalanotto can play 2B, 3B, and most of the OF. Plus, he has always hit whether he's had 150 or 450 AB's.

amsteel
04-02-2009, 01:35 PM
Maybe someone can back me up here, didn't he go 6 for 6 in a game against the Sox 5 or so years ago?

Edit: Yep, 5/1/04. http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/2004/B05012CHA2004.htm

CanBuehrleWait
04-02-2009, 02:49 PM

Agreed. Carerr .292 hitter .358 OBP. His last couple of years have been a bit down but there wasn't much room for him in the Rangers' loaded offense. From what I've seen of him he seems serviceable at multiple positions as mentioned earlier as well. Throw me in the willing to take a flyer crowd.

HomeFish
04-02-2009, 05:10 PM
Catalanotto used to have a lot of defensive versatility, actually. I first noticed him in the early 2000's, when on Yahoo fantasy baseball he was eligible to play like 5 different positions. Has he regressed defensively?

Frater Perdurabo
04-02-2009, 09:16 PM
Catalanotto doesn't hit for power and doesn't steal many bases. But he does hit for very good average and also walks a lot, and certainly can pinch-hit. He's perfect for the #2 spot in the lineup. If the Sox were not set on giving Getz an opportunity at 2B, Cat would good enough to start at 2B for the Sox. Come to think of it, Getz may be a younger version of Cat.

Cat's never been a great defender, but he can back up at 1B, 2B, 3B and LF. He really doesn't have the arm for RF, but could play there in an emergency.

He's kind of like souped-up, AL version of Rob Mackowiak.

Of course, if the Sox had him, Ozzie would put him in CF.

guillensdisciple
04-02-2009, 09:32 PM
Um, does he play center field? If he does, sign him up!

LoveYourSuit
04-02-2009, 10:34 PM
Um, does he play center field? If he does, sign him up!

Even if he can't play CF the Sox would find a way to force him on there (Everett, Griffey, Machowiak, Swisher, etc).

Frater Perdurabo
04-02-2009, 10:41 PM
Even if he can't play CF the Sox would find a way to force him on there (Everett, Griffey, Machowiak, Swisher, etc).

He certainly has the defensive prowess for Ozzie to put him in CF.

But his OBP and BA are too high; he's not grindy enough.

LoveYourSuit
04-02-2009, 10:52 PM
He certainly has the defensive prowess for Ozzie to put him in CF.

But his OBP and BA are too high; he's not grindy enough.

LOL

Very well played.

voodoochile
04-02-2009, 11:13 PM
If the Sox picked him up, they'd send Lillibridge down.

jabrch
04-02-2009, 11:16 PM
Wasn't Cat a target of some of the statheads for a long time? Many years ago...

soxinem1
04-04-2009, 03:41 PM

I'm all for giving the young players a shot, but this is a good thing. Catalanotto is used to being a bench player, Lillibridge needs AB's.

The cost could be the same to keep either. Sounds like a no-brainer to me.

JB98
04-04-2009, 07:20 PM
I've never understood the fascination with Catalanotto on this board. He can't play the infield. He hasn't played anything except corner outfield and first base in years. The Sox do not have an opening at either corner outfield, or at first base. And I think Betemit is a better hitter than Catalanotto at this stage of his career.

Catalanotto last played 2B in the big leagues SEVEN YEARS AGO. He last played 3B in the big leagues eight years ago. I'm having a lot of trouble seeing how a guy with little power, no speed and minimal defensive versatility fits in with the Sox.

Frater Perdurabo
04-04-2009, 08:29 PM
I've never understood the fascination with Catalanotto on this board. He can't play the infield. He hasn't played anything except corner outfield and first base in years. The Sox do not have an opening at either corner outfield, or at first base. And I think Betemit is a better hitter than Catalanotto at this stage of his career.

Catalanotto last played 2B in the big leagues SEVEN YEARS AGO. He last played 3B in the big leagues eight years ago. I'm having a lot of trouble seeing how a guy with little power, no speed and minimal defensive versatility fits in with the Sox.

Oh sure, he's definitely a backup, but he's got a starting-lineup quality bat. That makes him a great bench player.

California Sox
04-05-2009, 01:39 AM

Not if they paid attention when Betemit played short. :(:

Carolina Kenny
04-05-2009, 07:26 PM

and he does a great Bush imatation.

JB98
04-05-2009, 09:01 PM
Oh sure, he's definitely a backup, but he's got a starting-lineup quality bat. That makes him a great bench player.

It makes him a pinch-hitter, which you don't need much of in the American League. I think Betemit will fill the role of pinch-hitter nicely for the Sox this season.