PDA

View Full Version : New food items at USCF

Harry Potter
04-02-2009, 11:19 AM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-0402-ballpark-coverapr02,0,1021130.story

- Build-your-own burrito (or nacho grande) kiosks ($7-$8)
- Half-pound turkey burger ($6.25)
- Taste of the Ballpark (hot dog, 20 oz soda, small nachos, small peanuts, and sample bag of popcorn for $7.50)
- Wine bar on the lower level

doublem23
04-02-2009, 11:20 AM
- Taste of the Ballpark (hot dog, 20 oz soda, small nachos, small peanuts, and sample bag of popcorn for $7.50)

Sadly, that's a pretty good deal.

Marqhead
04-02-2009, 11:21 AM
Taste of the ballpark sounds like a great deal, especially considering I buy all of those things at a game anyways.

Now we just need to replace that soda with a 20oz. beer and we'll be golden.

I want Mags back
04-02-2009, 11:29 AM
7-8 bucks for a burrito ain't half bad considering its 6 something at Chipotle , not that this will be as good, but not a bad deal in the ballpark

Taste of the ballpark sounds awesome as well.

doublem23
04-02-2009, 11:32 AM
7-8 bucks for a burrito ain't half bad considering its 6 something at Chipotle , not that this will be as good, but not a bad deal in the ballpark

It'll be 100x better assuming the Cell will actually make their burritos with refried beans... You know, the actual ingredient. (I hate San Francisco-style burritos)

dwalteroo
04-02-2009, 11:34 AM
Can one person eat a 4 lb pretzel? I guess we're gonna find out.

Love the new choices this year.

Konerko05
04-02-2009, 11:38 AM
Sadly, that's a pretty good deal.

How "small" do you think the order of nachos is?

Konerko05
04-02-2009, 11:39 AM
Can one person eat a 4 lb pretzel? I guess we're gonna find out.

Love the new choices this year.

That's at Wrigley.

esbrechtel
04-02-2009, 11:40 AM
Taste of the ballpark sounds like a good deal...

but a cusomizable nacho grande :drool:

doublem23
04-02-2009, 11:41 AM
How "small" do you think the order of nachos is?

http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/4062113/2/istockphoto_4062113-nacho-chip-dripped-with-salsa-sauce.jpg

dwalteroo
04-02-2009, 11:42 AM
That's at Wrigley.

Oh man, my bad - totally misread that. I guess I'm *not* gonna find out.

oeo
04-02-2009, 11:43 AM
http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/4062113/2/istockphoto_4062113-nacho-chip-dripped-with-salsa-sauce.jpg

One dorito with salsa? Damn...

doublem23
04-02-2009, 11:45 AM
One dorito with salsa? Damn...

They also fail to mention the hot dog is really a cocktail weine. :cool:

I want Mags back
04-02-2009, 12:32 PM
It'll be 100x better assuming the Cell will actually make their burritos with refried beans... You know, the actual ingredient. (I hate San Francisco-style burritos)

I dont eat the beans at Chipotle, I'm a fajita burrito kind of guy:cool:

Dibbs
04-02-2009, 12:56 PM
Taste of the ballpark will be a big seller.

LoveYourSuit
04-02-2009, 01:01 PM
Yuck on the Turkey Burger ..... We might need the Miller High Life guy to break up that nonesense.

chisoxfanatic
04-02-2009, 01:01 PM
Wow, this will be great! FINALLY something we can get without having to deal with the slow people who work behind the counter!

Lundind1
04-02-2009, 01:05 PM
Wow, this will be great! FINALLY something we can get without having to deal with the slow people who work behind the counter!

Watch out for them giving you the wrong price. I almost got duped 4 times last year. A bit of quick math will catch that every time.

salty99
04-02-2009, 01:52 PM
It also says taste of the ballpark will only be in the upper deck.

soxinem1
04-02-2009, 01:53 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-0402-ballpark-coverapr02,0,1021130.story

- Half-pound turkey burger ($6.25)
- Wine bar on the lower level

http://johnstamosfever.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/jules-eating-hamburger-pulp-fiction1.jpg

'Mmmmmmm! That sounds like a tasty burger!!'

DSpivack
04-02-2009, 02:04 PM
Yuck on the Turkey Burger ..... We might need the Miller High Life guy to break up that nonesense.

:rolleyes:

esbrechtel
04-02-2009, 02:09 PM

If it were a Veggie burger I would be with ya...but Turkey is good for people with high calesterol or people with gout....

Luckily I have niether of these, yet, but I am only 24....so having a healthy option now means they will perfect it by the time I am old enough or develop one of these :D:

roylestillman
04-02-2009, 02:14 PM

"That's not a burger, that's a bird"

whitesox901
04-02-2009, 02:23 PM
that turkey burger sounds delicious!

Soxfan 78
04-02-2009, 03:05 PM

hahahahahahaha good one

LoveYourSuit
04-02-2009, 03:11 PM
:rolleyes:

Come on now. It's a stadium, you are watching a ball game. You are not suppose to get healthy by going to a baseball game. Baseball is drink beer and eat fatening foods.

What's next, Tofu on a bun?

D. TODD
04-02-2009, 03:16 PM
I just had a build your own nacho grande at Lucas Oil Stadium for the elite 8 game. It was damn good, had your choice of chicken, beef, or both. The guy said "say when" as he poured as much cheese as you wanted on top. The same for the olives, lettuce, tomato's, jalapeno's, salsa, etc. as much as you wanted.

I hope this is the same deal at the cell, because it was well worth the 7 bucks for ballgame prices.

kittle42
04-02-2009, 03:34 PM
Come on now. It's a stadium, you are watching a ball game. You are not suppose to get healthy by going to a baseball game. Baseball is drink beer and eat fatening foods.

I got sick after eating an Ichiroll once.

Soxaredabest
04-02-2009, 03:55 PM
"That's not a burger, that's a bird"

hahahahhaha

twentywontowin
04-02-2009, 03:58 PM

Spicy tuna maki rolls delivered to your seat.
Organic potato chips.
Starbucks coffee.

Hippie baseball.

skobabe8
04-02-2009, 04:19 PM

You sound exactly like the kind of "Chicago fan" stereotype that B&B always make fun of.

I am absolutely STOKED for that nacho bar. :bandance: I have been saying they should do this for a looooong time ever since I went to a D'Backs game and had their nachos.

Looking forward to the turkey burger too.

kittle42
04-02-2009, 04:22 PM
You sound exactly like the kind of "Chicago fan" stereotype that B&B always make fun of.

"Chicago fans" are the worst Chicago fans.

skobabe8
04-02-2009, 04:26 PM
"Chicago fans" are the worst Chicago fans.

I might have worded that poorly.

sox2000divchamps
04-02-2009, 04:34 PM
mmmm. After about five straght years with the food getting crappier, the past 2, the food seems to be on the up.

kittle42
04-02-2009, 04:57 PM
I might have worded that poorly.

No, I was just agreeing with you.

LoveYourSuit
04-02-2009, 05:12 PM

I am absolutely STOKED for that nacho bar. :bandance: I have been saying they should do this for a looooong time ever since I went to a D'Backs game and had their nachos.

Looking forward to the turkey burger too.

I am Chicago Tough.

chisoxfanatic
04-02-2009, 05:34 PM

I prefer to stop by the Subway sandwich shop at 31st & Halsted before going to the game and getting a $5 foot long turkey or veggie sub with a large bottle of water to bring to the game. I love being a health nut. :D:

LoveYourSuit
04-02-2009, 06:08 PM
I prefer to stop by the Subway sandwich shop at 31st & Halsted before going to the game and getting a $5 foot long turkey or veggie sub with a large bottle of water to bring to the game. I love being a health nut. :D:

Outside the park, no problem.

Once you make to the parking lots and inside, Beer, Dogs, and Burgers ONLY!

chisoxfanatic
04-02-2009, 06:28 PM

Burgers--OK.

Why don't you have an extra beer and hot dog for me!

bridgeportcopper
04-02-2009, 06:52 PM
The turkey burger has fast become my favorite order. And I preface that with the fact I am no wimp at 6'2" and about 275. It can be dressed up like any burger, and has way less guilt and can be delicious. Personal recommendations for outstanding turkey burgers (as I am a policeman who eats out quite a bit while at work) are Connie's and Morgan's on Halsted by UIC.

chisoxfanatic
04-02-2009, 07:02 PM
I must say that I love the Texas BBQ brisket sandwiches they have atop my section (149).

Sockinchisox
04-02-2009, 07:05 PM
I must say that I love the Texas BBQ brisket sandwiches they have atop my section (149).

BBQ Pulled Pork FTW.

#1swisher
04-02-2009, 07:30 PM

Thanks for the heads up on BBQ. If we don't tailgate, I usually get the Italian sausage.

I_Liked_Manuel
04-02-2009, 07:51 PM
The build your own nacho thing sounds interesting, but really this doesn't address the concession problem - that it takes more than an inning to get anything from one of the permanent concession stands

DSpivack
04-02-2009, 07:56 PM

If you're doing the 'Chicago tough' thing, whoever heard of a burger at a baseball game? Just seems weird to me; encased tubes seem to fit better.

That said, I'd rather save the $8 and get better beer after the game.

Brian26
04-02-2009, 08:20 PM

The build your own nacho thing sounds interesting, but really this doesn't address the concession problem - that it takes more than an inning to get anything from one of the permanent concession stands

I just can't imagine this nacho bar set-up is going to allow you to physically put together your own nacho plate like a buffet and then go pay for it at the end of the line. You're still going to be in front of a counter while the minimum-waged concessionaire behind the counter fills your specialized order. In fact, this kiosk has potential to be even slower than the typical concession stand due to all of the interaction.

If I'm wrong, and it is an actual buffet style set-up, it'll be trashed by the first inning of every game.

DSpivack
04-02-2009, 08:40 PM
Only good thing about Nats Park this year: http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2009/04/the_beer_at_nats_park_this_sea.html

sox2000divchamps
04-02-2009, 09:30 PM
You know one thing the Sox need, WINGS!! I want wings in the concorse. The only place you can get them is in the Stadium Club.

chisoxfanatic
04-02-2009, 09:45 PM
If I were in charge of concessions, the first thing I'd include on the menu was spaghetti or another type of pasta.

sox2000divchamps
04-02-2009, 09:47 PM
If I were in charge of concessions, the first thing I'd include on the menu was spaghetti or another type of pasta.

Great idea. Have an grandma in the back cookin it up, though. That canned "sauce" is pure crap.

BubblingCalderon
04-02-2009, 09:49 PM
They have the build your own nacho stand in Milwaukee (as well as at a couple other stadiums I've been to). It is incredible. I used to get nachos at every sox game until I started eating these gourmet nachos.

They sell them in kiosks similar to the nacho stands currently at the cell. You get a bowl that's about the size of a CD and you pick all sorts of toppings to put on them. (the employees actually build the nachos for you) They are so good

LoveYourSuit
04-02-2009, 10:28 PM

Oh, then believe you me when I say this, the Build Your Own Nacho Line will be a nightmare. I tried it in Tampa for a Sox Rays game, 2 innings to get thru it.

Irishsox1
04-03-2009, 01:17 AM
At old Comiskey, did they serve Pepe's tacos? I swear they did, but I'm not sure, anyone remember?

whitesox901
04-03-2009, 01:20 AM
Great idea. Have an grandma in the back cookin it up, though. That canned "sauce" is pure crap.

:thumbsup:

doublem23
04-03-2009, 01:31 AM

That seems like it'd be awfully messy to try and eat at a ballgame. I can see the first guy reaching for a foul ball who drops a whole plate of noodles and sauce all over the guy in front of him.

No thanks.

I_Liked_Manuel
04-04-2009, 03:18 PM
That seems like it'd be awfully messy to try and eat at a ballgame. I can see the first guy reaching for a foul ball who drops a whole plate of noodles and sauce all over the guy in front of him.

No thanks.

The sox/dodgers had some kind of asian noodle contraption that came in a chinese food container down in Glendale. I didn't try it, but it didn't look all that messy.

HomeFish
04-04-2009, 03:40 PM
At old Comiskey, did they serve Pepe's tacos? I swear they did, but I'm not sure, anyone remember?

I never set foot in Old Comiskey, but they posted a bunch of videos of it here last week, and in one of them I saw a sign that said "Pepe's Tacos".

Frater Perdurabo
04-04-2009, 05:40 PM
I'd suggest "Meat on a stick." I imagine this is done in many cultures, but he variety I have had is Cambodian.

It's skirt steak (same cut as fajita beef, just more thickly sliced), or strips of chicken breast or thigh, seasoned with Asian spices, grilled on a wooden skewer.

Because it's grilled (not battered and fried), it's actually a reasonably healthy, low-carb, high-protein option. And because it's on a wooden stick, you can easily eat it with one hand.

If you want more flavor, serve with peanut dipping sauce. I guess you also could do BBQ sauce or any other dipping sauce for that matter.

This could even be done with various kinds of sausages for those who want to avoid the bun (serve with a small mustard cup). You could even do it with cubed seasoned pork or different varieties of fish.

sox2000divchamps
04-04-2009, 05:50 PM
I'd suggest "Meat on a stick." I imagine this is done in many cultures, but he variety I have had is Cambodian.

It's skirt steak (same cut as fajita beef, just more thickly sliced), or strips of chicken breast or thigh, seasoned with Asian spices, grilled on a wooden skewer.

Because it's grilled (not battered and fried), it's actually a reasonably healthy, low-carb, high-protein option. And because it's on a wooden stick, you can easily eat it with one hand.

If you want more flavor, serve with peanut dipping sauce. I guess you also could do BBQ sauce or any other dipping sauce for that matter.

This could even be done with various kinds of sausages for those who want to avoid the bun (serve with a small mustard cup). You could even do it with cubed seasoned pork or different varieties of fish.

I agree. Most people I think know this as Shishkabob. Any kinda meat on a stick, most of the time with diffrent veggies on em. Sox need shishkabob!

Frater Perdurabo
04-04-2009, 08:01 PM
I agree. Most people I think know this as Shishkabob. Any kinda meat on a stick, most of the time with diffrent veggies on em. Sox need shishkabob!

Oh, I know shish kabob, too, and I too think that would be a great grill item. I've always known shish kabob to be made with cubed meat or chicken, and the vegetables (pearl onions, green pepper chunks, cherry tomatoes). Frankly, there's a whole lot they could do with meat and skewers; just change up the marinade and seasonsings!

First :stirpot:

Then :drool:

sox2000divchamps
04-04-2009, 08:12 PM
Oh, I know shish kabob, too, and I too think that would be a great grill item. I've always known shish kabob to be made with cubed meat or chicken, and the vegetables (pearl onions, green pepper chunks, cherry tomatoes). Frankly, there's a whole lot they could do with meat and skewers; just change up the marinade and seasonsings!

First :stirpot:

Then :drool:
Sounds like a plan!

whitesox901
04-05-2009, 01:37 AM
what section are the Turkey burgers?

doublem23
04-05-2009, 01:43 AM
what section are the Turkey burgers?

Article says they're at random grill stops around the park, so I'm sure they're just spaced out around the concourse on the upper and lower levels.

whitesox901
04-05-2009, 01:59 AM
Article says they're at random grill stops around the park, so I'm sure they're just spaced out around the concourse on the upper and lower levels.

sweet, can't wait till sink my teeth into one on Thursday :drool:

shes
04-05-2009, 07:26 PM
So, uh, where's the tempeh and squash raviolli or banana soy shakes for us vegetarians?

*ducks*

skobabe8
04-05-2009, 08:52 PM
So, uh, where's the tempeh and squash raviolli or banana soy shakes for us vegetarians?

*ducks*

Try the elotes.

bridgeportcopper
04-05-2009, 09:27 PM
I saw something on Fox news about a foot long meatball sandwich for like $24. It looked like it was a Levy/Club Level type stand. Was this just a dream or did anyone else see this?

Harry Potter
04-05-2009, 09:32 PM
I saw something on Fox news about a foot long meatball sandwich for like $24. It looked like it was a Levy/Club Level type stand. Was this just a dream or did anyone else see this?

You are correct. Unfortunately, at the moment, it will only be available on the Club level

Marqhead
04-05-2009, 09:39 PM
You are correct. Unfortunately, at the moment, it will only be available on the Club level

The club level has some great items. I sit there for 5-10 games a year, and they have some unique items and the price isn't as bad as you think it would be.

My favorite is the "Ozzie Dog" - a hot dog smothered in cheese with jalapenos and red pepper sprinkled on. The rest of my family is crazy about the "Ice Cream Nachos."

The beer tastes great no matter what section it comes from. :cool:

I'll have to keep my eye out for this meatball monstrosity.

Nellie_Fox
04-06-2009, 01:58 AM
I saw something on Fox news about a foot long meatball sandwich for like $24. It looked like it was a Levy/Club Level type stand. Was this just a dream or did anyone else see this?Hell, I don't pay $24 for a steak except on very special occasions. For a meatball sandwich? No way.

BadBobbyJenks
04-06-2009, 02:27 AM
Hell, I don't pay $24 for a steak except on very special occasions. For a meatball sandwich? No way.

Exactly what I was thinking. 24 bucks for a meatball sandwich? No thanks.

bridgeportcopper
04-06-2009, 07:17 AM
Exactly what I was thinking. 24 bucks for a meatball sandwich? No thanks.

In all fairness, I think ideally it is meant to feed like 4-6 people. Although I'm one of those idiots that at some point after about 25 beers, will make a run at eating the whole thing myself.

skobabe8
04-06-2009, 09:59 AM
Hell, I don't pay $24 for a steak except on very special occasions. For a meatball sandwich? No way.

Subway has a foot long meatball for maybe what? $5?

doublem23
04-06-2009, 11:03 AM
Subway has a foot long meatball for maybe what? $5?

Yeah, but people still pay what? $7 for a Miller Lite at the park? $24 for a giant sub sounds about right.

Marqhead
04-06-2009, 11:10 AM
Yeah, but people still pay what? $7 for a Miller Lite at the park? $24 for a giant sub sounds about right.

But does the sub have intoxicating effects?

skobabe8
04-06-2009, 11:18 AM

But you can legally bring a sub into the park, unlike beer.

EndemicSox
04-06-2009, 11:35 AM
Spicy tuna maki rolls delivered to your seat.
Organic potato chips.
Starbucks coffee.

Hippie baseball.

Hey now, there is nothing hippie about spicy tuna maki rolls, they are just delicious! Yuppie is what your thinking of, as hippies know good food!

EndemicSox
04-06-2009, 11:36 AM

:gulp:

sas1974
04-06-2009, 11:52 AM
You know one thing the Sox need, WINGS!! I want wings in the concourse. The only place you can get them is in the Stadium Club.

I'm almost afraid to mention this because I don't think a lot of people know about it, but they DO have wings at the park. If you go downstairs toward the Bullpen Sports Bar, there's a little Bertucci Boys stand down there (hang a right at the BSB entrance and keep walking). It's a little make-shift concession stand. I think some of the items may be left-overs from the patio parties, but last time I was there, they had ribs, wings and a few other items you can't find upstairs. I obviously haven't checked to see if it's there this year, but I stopped by a few times last season.

Nellie_Fox
04-06-2009, 11:58 AM
In all fairness, I think ideally it is meant to feed like 4-6 people. Although I'm one of those idiots that at some point after about 25 beers, will make a run at eating the whole thing myself.So they would each get 2-3" of the footlong? Who are they feeding 4-6 of, two-year-olds?

Yeah, but people still pay what? $7 for a Miller Lite at the park? $24 for a giant sub sounds about right.I won't pay $7 for a macro-brew beer, either.

doublem23
04-06-2009, 12:06 PM
So they would each get 2-3" of the footlong? Who are they feeding 4-6 of, two-year-olds?

I won't pay $7 for a macro-brew beer, either.

It's 2-feet long, not 1. You're obviously not their target audience, Nellie. There are plenty of people that shell out plenty of cash for food at the park.

Nellie_Fox
04-06-2009, 12:26 PM

It's 2-feet long, not 1. You're obviously not their target audience, Nellie. There are plenty of people that shell out plenty of cash for food at the park.I was going on bridgeportcopper's post above.

I spend money at the park, I just won't be taken for a complete sucker. $7 beers and $24 meatball subs are over the line.

longtimesoxguy
04-07-2009, 07:43 PM
I saw it on the news. Where do they serve it, was it hard to eat? How much are the cold ones this season?

Rdy2PlayBall
04-07-2009, 07:52 PM
I don't know if I'm right but I think it's only a club level thing? I'm not sure, but I thought so.

house215
04-07-2009, 10:22 PM
Speaking of food, how did the Vienna Beef dog compare to a Kosher's Best?

chisox77
04-07-2009, 10:24 PM
It sure looks good. I bet it could feed up to one WSI member (given the appetites around here)!

I think it is only available at the Club Level.

The regular meatball sandwich is one of the best tasting things at the Cell. I have had several of those (but not at once, of course).

Dat Funky Motion
04-07-2009, 10:31 PM
The meaball is huge. It would feed three people. It does look tasty though.

longtimesoxguy
04-07-2009, 11:12 PM
How much did the beer go up?

TomC727
04-07-2009, 11:28 PM
I miss the Best's Kosher. Had the Vienna Beef Polish and Hot Dog today. It is ok. Definately a disappointment compared to Best's Kosher. I miss it already. :(:

rdivaldi
04-07-2009, 11:59 PM
Speaking of food, how did the Vienna Beef dog compare to a Kosher's Best?

I'm a fan of both, but I do prefer the Vienna Beef dog. The one I got today was delicious.

Dat Funky Motion
04-08-2009, 12:01 AM
how much did the beer go up?

$6.50.

soxfanreggie
04-08-2009, 12:07 AM
Would love to try one of those meatballs. Looks like the beer went up, a quarter?

SOXfnNlansing
04-08-2009, 01:26 AM
How much did the beer go up?

Up a quarter to $6.75/16 oz beer.

nug0hs
04-08-2009, 02:09 AM
Yeah the meatball sandwich is only on club lvl. Its also...

$26
:o::thud:

whitesox901
04-08-2009, 04:46 AM
meatball sandwiches rule, but $26 worth

esbrechtel
04-08-2009, 08:39 AM

$26

Well it is 2 feet long and if it feeds 3 that is 8 bucks a person...not too bad for ball park prices...

eastchicagosoxfan
04-08-2009, 09:06 AM
Up a quarter to $6.75/16 oz beer.
It was the same price for Budwieser at the Beers of the World stand. It seems that the line and the wait get longer every year at those stands. I wonder if the Sox are missing sales? Sorry for the tangent away from the meatball sandwich.

Illini Stripes
04-08-2009, 09:29 AM
Very disappointed in the Vienna Beef hot dog. Best Kosher was much better. Their not as tasty as the Best and the bun was on the hard side (with onions), not steamed and fell apart. Down grade!

luckyboy
04-08-2009, 10:33 AM
I tried the new nacho/burrito stand. It is by 122 in the lower deck. It was very easy to miss. It's a stand alone that is called Tex/Mex. The line took forever like expected, about an inning and a half with 6-7 people in front of me. The burrito isn't the biggest thing in the world. The nachos on the other hand are enormous! Picture the size of the boxes you get to carry a few hot dogs from other concession stands filled with chips. It's definitely a huge deal compared to the simple chips/cheese/peppers for $5.

BoysMom3
04-08-2009, 10:49 AM
I will really, really miss that Best kosher dog. It was my favorite thing to eat there, and I always made sure to have a pretty empty stomach before the game so I could get one.

I saw that big meatball sandwich on tv the other day - they were saying 3 people could eat it, but it looked to me like it could easily feed 4.

UofCSoxFan
04-08-2009, 10:57 AM
Hate to say it but some of the Wrigley additions sound pretty solid. It's about time, the concessions at that dump are horrible.

(and before people jump on me for going to the shrine, the only tickets I've paid for their have been Cubs Sox.)

BainesHOF
04-08-2009, 11:31 AM
The buns sucked last year, too.

High prices are one thing. High prices for basically unedible food is another thing. It's been an ongoing problem at the Cell.

Oh, for the delicious and reasonably-priced food at old Comiskey Park. I was partial to the tacos by third base and the giant subs down the left-field line.

WhiffleBall
04-08-2009, 11:32 AM
I saw someone with a hot dog that had been "dragged through the garden" including the pickle slice. Where was that stand located? The regular hot dog/sausage stands still only had grilled onions and peppers.

They are still having the bun issue. I had a hot dog and a polish and my brother had an Italian sausage. All three had cold buns. I know it was cold out but they are like that even during the summer. It really takes away from the an otherwise delicious ballpark food.

bluedemon45
04-08-2009, 11:42 AM
Was anyone able to try the taste of the ballpark?

ChiSoxFan81
04-08-2009, 11:46 AM
Was anyone able to try the taste of the ballpark?

Yeah, my buddy said he licked the concourse at Wrigley. It tasted like urine.

KnightSox
04-08-2009, 11:57 AM
The buns sucked last year, too.And the year before that too, however the taste of the Best's made it bearable. Now we are stuck with hard buns and tasteless meat.

twsoxfan5
04-08-2009, 12:06 PM
So I had the new hot dog yesterday and I have to say that I was disappointed. They were still good but they were not the same. I will have to wait until I get a burnt one and a decent bun, but still I thought that the flavor was just not there. What does everyone else think?

Edit: So I did not see that people were already talking about this in the Meatball sandwich thread. Mods can you just roadhouse this thread?

Mendoza Line
04-08-2009, 12:25 PM

$26

Is there any sort of prize for eating it solo? Sounds tempting! :wink:

hi im skot
04-08-2009, 12:58 PM
So I had the new hot dog yesterday and I have to say that I was disappointed. They were still good but they were not the same. I will have to wait until I get a burnt one and a decent bun, but still I thought that the flavor was just not there. What does everyone else think?

Edit: So I did not see that people were already talking about this in the Meatball sandwich thread. Mods can you just roadhouse this thread?

Yeah, the Vienna just doesn't compete with the Best's Kosher. If I need a hot dog, I'm going to 31st and Canal.

skobabe8
04-08-2009, 02:32 PM
Yeah, the Vienna just doesn't compete with the Best's Kosher. If I need a hot dog, I'm going to 31st and Canal.

There's some good options outside the gates. Problem is....THEY ARE VIENNA BEEF! :D::D:

I'm also partial to 35th Street Red Hots (the one on the right).

http://pics4.city-data.com/cpicv/vfiles5324.jpg http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3061/2688834545_aed069e963.jpg?v=0

Steelrod
04-08-2009, 03:11 PM
Apparently it does. Vienna is still in business and Best's is gone!!

Garland_IS_God
04-08-2009, 03:29 PM
I had Upper Deck tickets and could not find the meatball sandwich anywhere on the UD Level. Is it only on the Concourse Level?

skobabe8
04-08-2009, 03:36 PM
I had Upper Deck tickets and could not find the meatball sandwich anywhere on the UD Level. Is it only on the Concourse Level?

The huge meatball sandwhich is only on the Club level. Not sure about the regular one. Never had it.

sas1974
04-08-2009, 03:38 PM
I tried the new nacho/burrito stand. It is by 122 in the lower deck. It was very easy to miss. It's a stand alone that is called Tex/Mex. The line took forever like expected, about an inning and a half with 6-7 people in front of me. The burrito isn't the biggest thing in the world. The nachos on the other hand are enormous! Picture the size of the boxes you get to carry a few hot dogs from other concession stands filled with chips. It's definitely a huge deal compared to the simple chips/cheese/peppers for $5.
They do load up and extra large boat with CHIPS, but they were awfully cheap w/ the toppings. I was trying to conserve the toppings and I still ended up w/ a big box full of chips and nothing on them.

Illini Stripes
04-08-2009, 03:41 PM
Do the powers that be read this forum and take in the constructive criticism on hot dog buns, toppings, etc?

I_Liked_Manuel
04-08-2009, 04:46 PM
The loaded nachos were a huge disappointment - the cheese wasn't the typical melted nacho cheese - it was shredded cheese out of a bag. I wouldn't pay the $7.75 or whatever it cost for them again.

It's not the sox' fault that best kosher went out of business, but the vienna beef polish and hot dogs weren't anywhere near as good. Since it doesn't seem like it's even a complicated issue, the bun problem has to be fixed. Would it kill them to actually have fresh buns?

I was second in line at one of the permanent stands yesterday, and it still took almost 10 minutes to get my food. There must not be any accountability for the people that work there. I can't believe that the Sox haven't fixed that problem yet.

cwshats
04-08-2009, 05:14 PM
but tasted funny.. like a bit under-cooked but maybe it was more the new type of dog.

dickallen15
04-08-2009, 06:12 PM
Do the powers that be read this forum and take in the constructive criticism on hot dog buns, toppings, etc?

The hot dog buns have been stale for several years.

nasox
04-08-2009, 11:36 PM
And the year before that too, however the taste of the Best's made it bearable. Now we are stuck with hard buns and tasteless meat.

Teehee! :tongue:

Law11
04-08-2009, 11:41 PM
Burrito/Nacho bar had not one person in line in the 1st inning tonight. Walked right up.
had the steak nachos with everything. Thumbs up!

hula
04-09-2009, 10:28 AM

They should call that "A Steal" :D:

redsand22
04-10-2009, 04:07 PM
I had a dog on tuesday... not as good as the old ones but not bad. I had a dog again on weds, but asked for it well done and some well done onions as well, much better. They def are not the same though. :(

BadBobbyJenks
04-10-2009, 04:15 PM
Taste of the Ballpark, Upper Deck only?

soxfan21
04-10-2009, 04:43 PM
Taste of the Ballpark, Upper Deck only?

As far as I know and have seen, yes.

hi im skot
04-10-2009, 04:52 PM
The loaded nachos were a huge disappointment - the cheese wasn't the typical melted nacho cheese - it was shredded cheese out of a bag. I wouldn't pay the $7.75 or whatever it cost for them again.

It's not the sox' fault that best kosher went out of business, but the vienna beef polish and hot dogs weren't anywhere near as good. Since it doesn't seem like it's even a complicated issue, the bun problem has to be fixed. Would it kill them to actually have fresh buns?

I was second in line at one of the permanent stands yesterday, and it still took almost 10 minutes to get my food. There must not be any accountability for the people that work there. I can't believe that the Sox haven't fixed that problem yet.

I had the loaded nachos Wednesday night and they were great. I got them with everything, and there were plenty of toppings to go around. I actually finished the chips before the rest of the toppings.

:shrug:

hi im skot
04-10-2009, 04:53 PM
There's some good options outside the gates. Problem is....THEY ARE VIENNA BEEF! :D::D:

I'm also partial to 35th Street Red Hots (the one on the right).

I haven't had anything from the place at 35th and Union, and 35th Street Red Hots were good. Still, my favorite is Maxwell Street Depot at 31st and Canal. Fantastic pork chop sandwiches and great polish dogs.

skobabe8
04-10-2009, 04:59 PM
I had the loaded nachos Wednesday night and they were great. I got them with everything, and there were plenty of toppings to go around. I actually finished the chips before the rest of the toppings.

Where are these stands located?

MarySwiss
04-10-2009, 05:07 PM
I haven't had anything from the place at 35th and Union, and 35th Street Red Hots were good. Still, my favorite is Maxwell Street Depot at 31st and Canal. Fantastic pork chop sandwiches and great polish dogs.

Damn! I forgot all about those things! Unheard of in Arizona, AFAIK.

That's IT! Tomorrow, I go to the butcher shop, get some center cut loin chops, and fix some pork chop sammiches. Yummy!

Thanks for the nudge, Skot!

hi im skot
04-10-2009, 05:09 PM
Where are these stands located?

I don't recall the section number, but the third base side of the upper deck had one.

hi im skot
04-10-2009, 05:10 PM
Damn! I forgot all about those things! Unheard of in Arizona, AFAIK.

That's IT! Tomorrow, I go to the butcher shop, get some center cut loin chops, and fix some pork chop sammiches. Yummy!

Thanks for the nudge, Skot!

:thumbsup:

skobabe8
04-10-2009, 05:17 PM
I don't recall the section number, but the third base side of the upper deck had one.

Oh, so you mean right where my seats are? That'll work.

BainesHOF
04-10-2009, 05:27 PM
If the Sox cared about the problems, they would have been fixed. All they care about is collecting your money. The food used to be good. It's not any longer.

Illini Stripes
04-10-2009, 06:18 PM
How were the hot dog buns for game 2 & 3? Stale/hard at opener.

ChiSoxGirl
04-10-2009, 11:04 PM

My sister tried twice to get the loaded nachos on Wednesday night, but both time she went (around 5:45 and 6p), she was told they were having "technical difficulties" and the stand wasn't open. Instead, she opted for a hot dog and corn off the cob with everything.

Frater Perdurabo
04-10-2009, 11:25 PM
Not a food item, but I heard a rumor that the Sox will be installing new MacDougal-themed urinal cakes.

DumpJerry
04-11-2009, 02:46 AM
What happened to the steak pitas????? The steak pita stand behind 112 is now a Connie's Pizza stand.:whiner:

whitesox901
04-11-2009, 04:08 AM
I went to a grill and asked for a Turkey Burger, she said they didn't serve those until next year. But it was on the menu, so I politely steeped aside and got a Comiskey Dog :drool:

hi im skot
04-11-2009, 11:50 AM
I went to a grill and asked for a Turkey Burger, she said they didn't serve those until next year. But it was on the menu, so I politely steeped aside and got a Comiskey Dog :drool:

Sounds like a bunch of nonsense to me...

whitesoxwilkes
04-11-2009, 11:54 AM
What happened to the steak pitas????? The steak pita stand behind 112 is now a Connie's Pizza stand.:whiner:

It's bad enough they got rid of the super tacos. If they axed the steak pitas too I am going to be "hella pissed" as the kids say. I didn't notice when I was there Wednesday night but will look today for sure.

ChiSoxGirl
04-11-2009, 11:56 AM

I noticed this on Wednesday night when I was there. I told my dad of my discovery and he was disappointed that one of his favorite ballpark eats has been replaced. However, when I told him about "Build Your own Nachos," he seemed to quickly get over the lack of steak pita. :wink:

Also MIA this season (that I saw) are the Super Taco and Turkey Wrap (Club Level).

whitesoxwilkes
04-11-2009, 11:58 AM
I noticed this on Wednesday night when I was there. I told my dad of my discovery and he was disappointed that one of his favorite ballpark eats has been replaced. However, when I told him about "Build Your own Nachos," he seemed to quickly get over the lack of steak pita. :wink:

Also MIA this season (that I saw) are the Super Taco and Turkey Wrap (Club Level).

When I asked about the Super Tacos, the girl at the stand told me about the new "cantina" and the burritos and what not there. Not an acceptable substitute for greasy orange ground beef and hot sauce from a packet in my opinion.

ChiSoxGirl
04-11-2009, 12:03 PM
When I asked about the Super Tacos, the girl at the stand told me about the new "cantina" and the burritos and what not there. Not an acceptable substitute for greasy orange ground beef and hot sauce from a packet in my opinion.

I also asked about the Super Taco when I didn't see it on the menu Wednesday night, and all the girl told me was that they didn't have it anymore.

PatK
04-16-2009, 11:49 AM
That meatball sandwich weights 5lbs.

That's not bad for the price. Hell, I've eaten 3 footlong meatballs from Subway and it's not even close to 5 lbs. And that set me back $15

cards press box
04-16-2009, 11:55 AM

If the steak pitas are gone, that would be disappointing. On the bright side, I noticed a new stand down the left field line with barbecue beef sandwiches. Haven't tried it yet but am looking forward to doing so.

Dibbs
04-16-2009, 12:15 PM
Just to clarify, they do not have those tacos that were down the right field line for $2.25 anymore? Wow, I know many that will be very upset. That was the best pound for pound buy in the ballpark.

IlliniSox4Life
04-16-2009, 12:49 PM

I had some dogs from a stand on Easter. The buns were my biggest complaint. They weren't stale or hard, but they weren't steamed like I remember them being. They were too bread-y if that makes sense.

Sockinchisox
04-16-2009, 12:59 PM
Not a fan of the new Vienna dogs, might try it once more to see if I had a bad one. But I'm probably gonna stick with the pulled pork.

chisox12
04-16-2009, 04:46 PM
No steak pitas AND no more best's kosher dogs?!?!? Pretty dissappointing. Vienna is a solid hot dog, but I used to look forward to the best's kosher dogs for my trips to the Cell.

ChiSoxGirl
04-16-2009, 05:38 PM
Just to clarify, they do not have those tacos that were down the right field line for $2.25 anymore? Wow, I know many that will be very upset. That was the best pound for pound buy in the ballpark.

You are correct. If that wasn't the best deal in the ballpark, the cheese quesadilla topped with salsa, lettuce, tomatoes, and shredded cheese for $2.75 (I think) is definitely a close second.

Warriorjan
04-16-2009, 06:07 PM
Why are they messing around so much with the food? I understand it wasn't their fault about the Best's Kosher Dogs (sorry, but the Vienna dogs they're serving don't compare) but why get rid of the steak tacos? Why fix something that wasn't broken?

thechico
04-16-2009, 06:08 PM
My dad and I each had one of these at Wednesday's game at club level. Price was OK, but
1. The guy who brought it out dumped a lot of the chips.:mad:
2. Bun was hard; not steamed. Broke up easily so as to not stay with the bun. :angry:
3. They wouldn't put the mustard on it. Had to use packets.

Beer was good though. :gulp:

ewokpelts
04-17-2009, 04:19 PM
My dad and I each had one of these at Wednesday's game at club level. Price was OK, but
2. Bun was hard; not steamed. Broke up easily so as to not stay with the bun. :angry:

I enjoyed the Foot Long Polish. Much better than what Vienna Beef sells downstairs.

BTW, I firmly believe that Levy shoudl handle ALL concession @ the cell. They made the wrigley food edible, so imagine what they can do to a lackluster SportService menu.

Cat Thief
04-17-2009, 05:09 PM

I don't complain much but I sent the foot long polish back last Thursday. Bun sucked, onions weren't cooked. No thanks. Then I was overcharged on my total bill. I called and the guy who runs the club level concession was very helpful and apologetic. He told me to see him next time I was in the club level.

WizardsofOzzie
04-22-2009, 12:02 AM
I was there the day before Easter and the bun for my brat was hard and completely fell apart on me within 2 bites.