PDA

View Full Version : Black out??

Sell Jerry Sell!
04-01-2009, 04:30 PM
I haven't heard anything yet but do you think opening day will be a black out? I know it won't be as good as the Minnesota game but it'd be nice to relive that atmosphere

BRDSR
04-01-2009, 04:33 PM
Hope not.

The black out was cool but should be preserved for games that have more impact on the season than opening day, which arguably has the least impact on the season of any.

DumpJerry
04-01-2009, 04:35 PM
Day game black out? I don't see that working as well as a night game one.
Also, we should not overuse our most potent weapon.

whitesox901
04-01-2009, 04:38 PM
I always thought a white out would be cool

TomBradley72
04-01-2009, 04:42 PM
I'll be "blacking out". I'd like to see a "sea of black" at every WSox game, but I don't know if we'll ever recreate the Twins game...we had such a high percentage of "die hards" (tickets sold on short notice) vs. casual fans at that game, I think that really added to the atmosphere.

thomas35forever
04-01-2009, 04:42 PM
It's already been done by Penn State for football and several NBA playoff teams.

geraldfritz
04-01-2009, 04:54 PM
Well I will be wearing my Black jersey on Opening Day...Doesnt matter what we wear, just as long as we win.

CHISOXFAN13
04-01-2009, 04:56 PM
It's already been done by Penn State for football and several NBA playoff teams.

Last time I checked, they didn't patent it.

scarsofthumper
04-01-2009, 04:57 PM
and the Pittsburgh Penguins

hi im skot
04-01-2009, 04:58 PM
Eh, save it for the playoffs.

WS in 05
04-01-2009, 05:02 PM
It's OPENING DAY, why do we need an excuse to go crazy. 5 1/2 months of no baseball is reason enough to get me pumped up. I only wish I could be there:whiner:. 5 straight starting a week from now has me excited as hell though.:gulp::bandance::gulp:

roylestillman
04-01-2009, 05:10 PM

Neither sports is chasing a white ball, however...

Rohan
04-01-2009, 05:15 PM
It's OPENING DAY, why do we need an excuse to go crazy. 5 1/2 months of no baseball is reason enough to get me pumped up. I only wish I could be there:whiner:. 5 straight starting a week from now has me excited as hell though.:gulp::bandance::gulp:

Good point. I can't wait! I wish I could be there. I don't care about the weather. I'm just excited to get stuff going again.

sox2000divchamps
04-01-2009, 06:07 PM
I have mixed feelings about this. Maybe we should save it for super important games. Or maybe, and I have thought about this for a while, we should do it every game. We could make the Cell a combo of Raiders and Philly. We could be rabid each and every game. Very loud and intimadating to the opponent each and every game. Make it a college football envirnment.

fox23
04-01-2009, 06:38 PM
and the Pittsburgh Penguins

And trademarked by the Phoenix Coyotes.

KenBerryGrab
04-01-2009, 09:01 PM
Well, black's what I've got in Sox stuff, so black it is!

SoxGirl4Life
04-01-2009, 09:09 PM
Lets not overkill the blackout thing....

It was SO cool because it was done on such short notice and it was like, everyone got the memo. In less than 24 hours, 42,000 strangers, related only (mostly) by the love of the White Sox got together and got it done.

oeo
04-01-2009, 09:13 PM
Wear what you want. I still think it would be cool if black was established as our identity, much like the Red Sox/Cardinals and red, Cubs and blue, etc.

Soxaredabest
04-01-2009, 09:15 PM

They will never do it because it would be to hard for the fielders to see the ball off the bat. It would be cool though...

SoxGirl4Life
04-01-2009, 09:18 PM
They will never do it because it would be to hard for the fielders to see the ball off the bat. It would be cool though...

Good point.

Lundind1
04-01-2009, 09:19 PM
That blackout game was something special. I am kinda mad that the word didn't get around to some people, lol. This is a thing that should be saved for something truly special and opening day is not one of those events. Just save it for playoff baseball.

palehozenychicty
04-01-2009, 09:19 PM
Wear what you want. I still think it would be cool if black was established as our identity, much like the Red Sox/Cardinals and red, Cubs and blue, etc.

Exactly. The Sox have been deemed the Raiders of baseball by a few folks, and we have similar colors, and we commit to excellence, and Kenny is from Oakland, so why not? :D:

I want the road team to be intimidated when they enter our stadium. The Black out was a good start to fulfilling that promise.

DSpivack
04-01-2009, 11:29 PM

We could even bring back the Good Guys Wear Black campaign, that was the one I remember most growing up.

JB98
04-02-2009, 12:12 AM
That blackout game was something special. I am kinda mad that the word didn't get around to some people, lol. This is a thing that should be saved for something truly special and opening day is not one of those events. Just save it for playoff baseball.

Agreed. Save it for the playoffs. A lot of White Sox gear is black, so there's always going to be plenty of people dressed in black at the ballpark. But as far as an organized blackout, I think that should be something special that we do when the Sox are in the postseason.

decolores9628
04-02-2009, 12:30 AM
I think more games will become blackout-esque just because of the official blackout game. More people will start wearing black to games just because of the one game playoff.

FedEx227
04-02-2009, 01:19 AM
I think more games will become blackout-esque just because of the official blackout game. More people will start wearing black to games just because of the one game playoff.

Exactly. You don't have to define it as a blackout but once people remember it, they'll likely wear the black anyway.

And I don't speak for everyone at this board but the majority of my Sox gear is black anyway.

VenturaFan23
04-02-2009, 05:59 AM
And trademarked by the Phoenix Coyotes.

Which was originated by the Winnipeg Jets. The crowd did it in the playoffs the final year there.

Anyhoo, I'll be wearing my black jersey anyway, so to each his own.

cbotnyse
04-02-2009, 06:45 AM
Hope not.

The black out was cool but should be preserved for games that have more impact on the season than opening day, which arguably has the least impact on the season of any.100% agree.

Keep blackouts for the post season only.

Red Barchetta
04-02-2009, 08:02 AM
I'll be "blacking out". I'd like to see a "sea of black" at every WSox game, but I don't know if we'll ever recreate the Twins game...we had such a high percentage of "die hards" (tickets sold on short notice) vs. casual fans at that game, I think that really added to the atmosphere.

As a former season ticket holder and transplanted SOX fan, the first blackout night against the Twins was the absolute coolest thing I have ever seen on sports TV. The Cell never looked better on HD! In the year of "The Cub" (and another epic collapse) the SOX fans showed exactly who we are to a national audience that night.

Even non-SOX fans thought it was cool as some of my Floridian friends commented after the game. :smile:

esbrechtel
04-02-2009, 09:19 AM
My only issue with the black out and baseball during day games is sitting in the sun when it is 100 degrees outside.

I refuse to wear black if I am in the bleachers or along one of the baselines or the other areas devoid of shade for a day game, I do want to survive the game :D:

Frontman
04-02-2009, 09:36 AM
Day game black out? I don't see that working as well as a night game one.
Also, we should not overuse our most potent weapon.

Exactly. That's like Batman's costume. It wouldn't work during the day effectively.

soxinem1
04-02-2009, 01:51 PM

As one of them, I totally agree!!!

Foulke You
04-02-2009, 08:24 PM
Put me in the camp of saving the blackout for really big impact games late in the season or the playoffs. Another thing to consider about "blacking out" Opening Day is that there is a very likely chance you need to bring lots of gear with you to the game on Monday. Winter coats, gloves, umbrellas, blankets, etc. That's a lot of stuff to coordinate in all black.:tongue: