PDA

View Full Version : Stadium with its warning track painted on?

Whitesox029
04-01-2009, 12:49 AM
A friend claims he remembers there being a current MLB stadium with a painted-on warning track...anyone know what park this might be?

Chrisaway
04-01-2009, 01:00 AM
I believe its Tropicana.

Whappeh
04-01-2009, 01:59 AM
Aye. I can attest (as I see a ton of games in Tampa every year), that the warning track is just the turf painted brown. Looks the same to the eye, however I don't know if it feels any different to stand on.

Whitesox029
04-01-2009, 02:43 AM
It's the same here at U of I's baseball field...last season they replaced the natural grass with field turf, and the entire playing surface is the same material with the exception of the pitcher's mound, obviously. The infield is colored brown to resemble a natural grass field (as opposed to metrodome or skydome, where the bases are inside 'islands' of real dirt).

Nellie_Fox
04-01-2009, 02:51 AM
The point of a warning track is to let you know that you're getting close to the wall. If it's made out of the same material, just a different color, how does it alert an outfielder who is looking up at the ball? Shouldn't be allowed.

Whappeh
04-01-2009, 03:29 AM
The point of a warning track is to let you know that you're getting close to the wall. If it's made out of the same material, just a different color, how does it alert an outfielder who is looking up at the ball? Shouldn't be allowed.

Which is why that stadium is a dump.

Only local area for me to see professional baseball there though...

which is actually not going well, so far seeing the Sox there I'm 0-3 (including Game 1 ALDS) last year.

Hopefully the 4 game series this season will change my fortunes.

Frater Perdurabo
04-01-2009, 07:19 AM

Yeah, but the wall is made out of pillows and cotton balls, so it's all good. :tongue:

Viva Medias B's
04-01-2009, 09:44 AM
It's the same here at U of I's baseball field...last season they replaced the natural grass with field turf, and the entire playing surface is the same material with the exception of the pitcher's mound, obviously. The infield is colored brown to resemble a natural grass field (as opposed to metrodome or skydome, where the bases are inside 'islands' of real dirt).

So if a baserunner slides into second at Illinois Field, wouldn't he get rug burn?

Bump34
04-01-2009, 11:35 AM
Which is why that stadium is a dump.

Only local area for me to see professional baseball there though...

which is actually not going well, so far seeing the Sox there I'm 0-3 (including Game 1 ALDS) last year.

Hopefully the 4 game series this season will change my fortunes.

The turf has a diifferent color... but it has a totally different texture and fill to let the players know they are getting close to a wall...

Railsplitter
04-01-2009, 04:59 PM

Crosley Field in Cincinatti used to have an incline in front of the wall. i.e an outfielder going uphill knew he was close to the wall.