PDA

View Full Version : No Jimbo's for opening day

Andy T Clown
03-31-2009, 09:57 PM
I have been going to opening day since 1984 and most of those endeed at Jimbo's. What is the closest bar to the park now that Jimbo's is gone? It looks like I will need a place to warm up.

Sorry if this has already been addressed.

Viva Medias B's
03-31-2009, 10:01 PM
Maybe Schaller's Pump at 37th and Halsted?

soxfan21
03-31-2009, 10:48 PM
Mitchell's is pretty close to the park, went there a few times last year and the year, it was a pretty good place to hang out at.

kittle42
03-31-2009, 10:50 PM
Follow me up to the North Side.

Andy T Clown
03-31-2009, 11:11 PM
Mitchell's is pretty close to the park, went there a few times last year and the year, it was a pretty good place to hang out at.

Where is Mitchell's?

WizardsofOzzie
04-01-2009, 12:12 AM
Where is Mitchell's?

3356 S Halsted St

I've hung out there with ChiSoxGirl a couple times after games. Used to be Puffer's IIRC

fozzy
04-01-2009, 06:29 AM
i don't know if it's the same for openning day but if you go to cobblestones and spend $20 they let you park for free.

http://cobblestonesmenu.com/index2.html

doublem23
04-01-2009, 06:52 AM
Is Buffalo Wings & Rings still open? That was at the corner of 34th and Halsted.

Thome25
04-01-2009, 06:57 AM
You could always hang out at Ricobene's. :tongue:

DrCrawdad
04-01-2009, 07:17 AM
i don't know if it's the same for openning day but if you go to cobblestones and spend $20 they let you park for free.

http://cobblestonesmenu.com/index2.html

Info about the 2006 Dan Ryan construction on their site? The website update a tad overdue?

skobabe8
04-01-2009, 08:22 AM
Is Buffalo Wings & Rings still open? That was at the corner of 34th and Halsted.

It's still there. I'm gonna check it out on Monday for the first time.

russ99
04-01-2009, 08:37 AM
I'd recommend both Mitchell's and Schaller's. Both are much nicer than Jimbo's ever was, but both are a hike, especially if you need to get (stumble) back to the Red Line to get home.

I wonder if there's any new options closer to the park, or around the new developments on the other side of the Dan Ryan.

In a related Jimbo's note, I wonder what happened to all those old Sox photos? Those are much too important to lay around in a cardboard box somewhere. Maybe the Sox can get them if they ever open the ramp-side bar/restaurant...

doublem23
04-01-2009, 08:39 AM
It's still there. I'm gonna check it out on Monday for the first time.

I checked it out once after a game in August last season (that was the game against Tampa Javier took a perfect game into the 6th and then fell apart... :angry: :angry: :angry:)... Anyways, BWR is OK, the food is all right, the prices are fine... It's probably as good of a place as you'll find within reasonable walking distance of the park.

Sargeant79
04-01-2009, 09:07 AM
I checked it out once after a game in August last season (that was the game against Tampa Javier took a perfect game into the 6th and then fell apart... :angry: :angry: :angry:)... Anyways, BWR is OK, the food is all right, the prices are fine... It's probably as good of a place as you'll find within reasonable walking distance of the park.

When did that place open up? I saw it open when I was in the area last fall, but they broke ground on that block-long building back in 2003 when I lived about a block away and it seemed like it took years for it to get finished.

skobabe8
04-01-2009, 09:26 AM
When did that place open up? I saw it open when I was in the area last fall, but they broke ground on that block-long building back in 2003 when I lived about a block away and it seemed like it took years for it to get finished.

It took a long time, but it was open all season last year. I lived 2 blocks away in the summer of 2007 and there was a sign hanging that said 'Coming Soon' for months.

Andy T Clown
04-01-2009, 09:51 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I will probably head toward Halsted. What is the name of the place on Pershing west of the tracks?

Cat Thief
04-01-2009, 10:15 AM
Hit the VFW at 3152 S Wallace, just down the street from the Redwood. Door says members only but as long as you don't swear (too loud) it's all good. Opening early at 10a. If you want to leave your DL you can get a parking pass for the day. It's about a mile walk to the park.

No fancy Tv's or anything like that. Just a nice quiet, not very crowded place to get primed.

$2.50 Domestics
$3.00 Heinken,Amstel,Corona
$1.25 Tap MGD

Sargeant79
04-01-2009, 10:23 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I will probably head toward Halsted. What is the name of the place on Pershing west of the tracks?

That's Cobblestone's. Watched Game 4 of the World Series there.

chimaki
04-01-2009, 10:25 AM
wings and rings is fairly disappointing, at least from my few visits. service is fairly bad, which won't help on OD, and the food is generally subpar. mitchell's brings in a catering company to grill on OD. went there last year and the food was great and it wasn't completely mobbed. i'll be there or redwood, as usual.

Cat Thief
04-01-2009, 11:03 AM
wings and rings is fairly disappointing, at least from my few visits. service is fairly bad, which won't help on OD, and the food is generally subpar. mitchell's brings in a catering company to grill on OD. went there last year and the food was great and it wasn't completely mobbed. i'll be there or redwood, as usual.

Have to agree about the service and food. Nice place though. Never sat at the bar. Looks like a good place to watch a game.

BainesHOF
04-01-2009, 11:10 AM
I thought the rings at Buffalo Wings & Rings were completely awesome. I sat at the bar and the service was decent, but the place was not a well-oiled machine.

I think they made a mistake with the layout. The place has regular tables like a restaurant. I think they should have had high tables and chairs. That layout would encourage more social interaction in the place.

For cheap beer, you can't go wrong with Catcher's, located on 35th a block west of Halsted.

RustyKuntz
04-01-2009, 11:48 PM
I like Shinnick's after the game.

http://chicago.metromix.com/bars-and-clubs/bar/shinnicks-bridgeport-sox/146189/content

Before the game, Schaller's has pretty decent food.

http://chicago.metromix.com/bars-and-clubs/sports_bar/schallers-pump-bridgeport-sox/139482/content

daveeym
04-02-2009, 09:54 AM
There's a place called home plate or something like that about 2 or 3 blocks north of the stadium and 2 or 3 blocks west of the tracks. It was pretty decent and close.

thepaulbowski
04-02-2009, 10:43 AM
There's a place called home plate or something like that about 2 or 3 blocks north of the stadium and 2 or 3 blocks west of the tracks. It was pretty decent and close.

I think you mean First Base at 32nd & Normal. It's a bar, no food. Prices are decent. You can get a parking pass from them for the game if you patronize the bar.

hawkjt
04-02-2009, 11:14 AM
I'd recommend both Mitchell's and Schaller's. Both are much nicer than Jimbo's ever was, but both are a hike, especially if you need to get (stumble) back to the Red Line to get home.

I wonder if there's any new options closer to the park, or around the new developments on the other side of the Dan Ryan.

In a related Jimbo's note, I wonder what happened to all those old Sox photos? Those are much too important to lay around in a cardboard box somewhere. Maybe the Sox can get them if they ever open the ramp-side bar/restaurant...

I have the same question about anything over east of the Dan Ryan for us Red line or Green line folks. Anything happening over there?

SOXPHILE
04-02-2009, 11:21 AM
Aww man. Where else can you get a $7.00 can of warm beer ?

Lundind1
04-02-2009, 11:36 AM
I have the same question about anything over east of the Dan Ryan for us Red line or Green line folks. Anything happening over there?

We were going to get a place right over there but there is still really nothing going on there. It is a shame too. Nobody has the $ to invest in it right now anyway.

See the renovation thread, the Sox are going to put that bar/restaurant in just not until this next off-season.

Goose
04-02-2009, 12:06 PM
Hit the VFW at 3152 S Wallace

Seriously? VFW? If this is a legit option, then the Sox need to start pushing for some entertainment options around that park.

S-A-D!

soxinem1
04-02-2009, 12:29 PM
Seriously? VFW? If this is a legit option, then the Sox need to start pushing for some entertainment options around that park.

S-A-D!

The Alderman, Daley's, and most of the neighborhood does not want this. I see where you are coming from. I lived off of 37th and Wallace while I was in college, and have family roots there as well.

Pat Huels didn't want this, Hizzoner, his bro, Balcer, etc. all have the same stance. They just do not think that the neighborhood is large enough to sustain the traffic issues, and other than the entrenched neighborhood bars, the residents would be very much against this as well.

While there has been a lot of building in the last 20 years, the basic configurations of Bridgeport are not made for any major hangout strips, which is too bad.

Cangelosi CF
04-02-2009, 12:42 PM
3356 S Halsted St

I've hung out there with ChiSoxGirl a couple times after games. Used to be Puffer's IIRC Yeah, nice place, good beer selection :gulp:

Rocky Soprano
04-02-2009, 12:52 PM

Are you able to park there if you spend x amount for the game?

Cat Thief
04-02-2009, 12:54 PM
While there has been a lot of building in the last 20 years, the basic configurations of Bridgeport are not made for any major hangout strips, which is too bad.

A neighborhood with no major hangout strips. :thumbsup:
Hope it stays that way.

soxfan21
04-02-2009, 01:53 PM
A neighborhood with no major hangout strips. :thumbsup:
Hope it stays that way.

Agreed.