PDA

View Full Version : Opening Day Weather..

beasly213
03-31-2009, 08:58 AM
According to weather.com the forecast on April 6th calls for Snow Showers! :o:

Maybe we'll get lucky though and the weather will take a turn for the better before then.

white sox bill
03-31-2009, 09:09 AM
Nahhh, wouldn't put much stock in weather forrecasts 6 days out. 3 days well maybe. But it alwys seems to be freezing on opening day doesn't it?

Mendoza Line
03-31-2009, 09:17 AM
How much snow has to fall for a game to be called? Cleveland got a ridiculous amount a couple years ago, but I doubt it has to be that severe to postpone a game.

SoxGirl4Life
03-31-2009, 09:22 AM
The Sox had a game called due to cold a couple of years ago. Against the Twins. They made it up during that July 4th weekend double header where we were outscored like 200-2.

sox102
03-31-2009, 10:10 AM
I'm not going to pay attention to the forecast until Sunday night. 6 days out and they are just guessing. Well, they guess anyway, but whatever. :D:

Law11
03-31-2009, 10:27 AM
snow is better than rain. Especially if its just a snow shower or two.
I remember a few years back sitting at the opener vs Detroit I think for like 4 hours then the game started for what turned into a night game opener.

We were freezing!

hi im skot
03-31-2009, 10:29 AM
I remember a few years back sitting at the opener vs Detroit I think for like 4 hours then the game started for what turned into a night game opener.

We were freezing!

Yeah, I believe that was 2005. I think my coat is still soaked from that night.

beasly213
03-31-2009, 10:38 AM

Nope it was 2004. 2005 was gorgeous!

WhiteSox5187
03-31-2009, 10:39 AM
No, in '05 we opened against Cleveland to nice weather.

skobabe8
03-31-2009, 10:41 AM
Whenever we get 10 days from Opening Day I always check the 10 day forecast. I don't look at the exact numbers, but the trend is usually pretty telling.

Demps2
03-31-2009, 10:42 AM
not to offend this thread, but why is there a thread about weather (I know it involves opening day) that is predicted 6 days from now. They are wrong 90% of the time one day out, none the less 6 days out. Any of us could do just as good of a job predicting the weather on opening day than the weatherman can as of today. WAAAAAAYYYYYYY to early to worry.:D:

swisherfan
03-31-2009, 10:42 AM
Yeah, Loazia shut out Detroit that night.....we were in Lot B from 11 to 5 pm.....

skobabe8
03-31-2009, 10:53 AM
not to offend this thread, but why is there a thread about weather (I know it involves opening day) that is predicted 6 days from now. They are wrong 90% of the time one day out, none the less 6 days out. Any of us could do just as good of a job predicting the weather on opening day than the weatherman can as of today. WAAAAAAYYYYYYY to early to worry.:D:

I've been here since 2004 and there has been an Opening Day weather thread every year.

I'd also like to see some statistical backup of your claim that weather forecasters are wrong 90% of the time 1 day out. Myself having a bachelors degree in meteorology, this would really interest me so I know where these awful weathermen are employed so that I can send my resume to try to get in the field that I spent four years of my life studying.

doublem23
03-31-2009, 10:58 AM

Because a lot of posters are going to that game.

hi im skot
03-31-2009, 11:02 AM

No, in '05 we opened against Cleveland to nice weather.

Yeah, you guys are right.

:cool:

beasly213
03-31-2009, 11:03 AM

You answered your own question right after you asked it.

tony1972
03-31-2009, 11:31 AM

Actually it was in 2003...

IlliniOne82
03-31-2009, 11:40 AM
I don't know how they played that game. It was like 35 degrees and it was a downpour. We were sitting in the upper deck and lightning struck the old roof they had. It sounded like a bomb going off.

We were freezing!

soxfan21
I know the last two years we have had beautiful weather for OD, but that first weekend series was always cold with some snow showers.

spiffie
Actually it was in 2003...
This is correct. It was Loaiza's first start, and the guys on the radio were calling him Stevie Loaiza. The weather was so awful I left in the 6th. The 2004 home opener was against KC, and even though it was cold and windy it was sunny.

Law11
03-31-2009, 11:46 AM
This is correct. It was Loaiza's first start, and the guys on the radio were calling him Stevie Loaiza. The weather was so awful I left in the 6th. The 2004 home opener was against KC, and even though it was cold and windy it was sunny.

We had ridiculously great seats and we were not leaving from the get go..
I remember them running out of Hot chocolate by game time. And man after hours standing on the lower level concourse the smell was more than a bit rank.. Jamming thousands for hours in a cramped area made for some unpleasant odors. I remember walking out in the OF concourse getting soaked just to get some fresh air..

chisoxfanatic
03-31-2009, 11:53 AM
I know the last two years we have had beautiful weather for OD, but that first weekend series was always cold with some snow showers.
Yea, last season's opening weekend was pretty bad. That Friday night game against the Tigers produced a steady rain for large quantities of the game. Thankfully, I brought an umbrella. Ironically, the Tigers came to town in September causing two game cancellations. I guess we could say the Tigers brought out the worst weather-wise.

I guess I'll be wearing two hoodies if I have to. I get cold pretty quickly. Some models think it's gonna be in the 30s.

tony1972
03-31-2009, 02:13 PM
Yea, last season's opening weekend was pretty bad. That Friday night game against the Tigers produced a steady rain for large quantities of the game. Thankfully, I brought an umbrella. Ironically, the Tigers came to town in September causing two game cancellations. I guess we could say the Tigers brought out the worst weather-wise.

I guess I'll be wearing two hoodies if I have to. I get cold pretty quickly. Some models think it's gonna be in the 30s.

Which models think it's gonna be in the 30's? Kate Moss and Tyra Banks?:scratch:

Law11
03-31-2009, 02:31 PM
Which models think it's gonna be in the 30's? Kate Moss and Tyra Banks?:scratch:

Ginger Zee - A model weather forecaster..)

BleacherBandit
03-31-2009, 03:09 PM
Ginger Zee - A model weather forecaster..)

Channel 5 is terrible!

cws05champ
03-31-2009, 03:12 PM
I predict it will be 82 degrees and sunny where I live :D:.

Railsplitter
03-31-2009, 03:22 PM
Bad weather the week before, good weather for the opener.

whitesox901
03-31-2009, 03:38 PM
I hope opening week in general is t-shirt and shorts weather

nitetrain8601
03-31-2009, 07:30 PM
It's hard to ignore because everywhere I go predicts bad weather. Both cold and wet and a decent chance of snow. Now, I'll predict right now there won't be any snow, but I'll also bet it probably will be cold and damp.

soxpride724
03-31-2009, 07:55 PM
Whenever we get 10 days from Opening Day I always check the 10 day forecast. I don't look at the exact numbers, but the trend is usually pretty telling.

Yeah I checked the ten day also, Weather.com has been reliable for the most part with the ten day forecast. All weekend and into next week is gonna be cold.

sox2000divchamps
03-31-2009, 08:21 PM
It seems that every year OD is good weather, we have a good season, ex 2000 was great, 05 was warm, and 08 if I remember was nice too.

ChiSoxGirl
03-31-2009, 08:28 PM
I predict it will be 82 degrees and sunny where I live :D:.

Well, if that could hold for another two weeks or so, I'd really appreciate that because I'm coming down on April 12! :sunshine:

One more thing.... It pisses me off to no end that I'll likely be freezing my rear end off at the ballpark on Monday, especially after we've had so many nice days in March. I'm already trying to figure out how many in the hell layers I'm going to need. On the bright side, I've got Club Level seats so if it gets too unbearable, I'll just mosey on inside and park myself on a couch and watch the game on a nice LCD TV. :wink: I know it might take away from the whole in-game experience, but I hate the cold and will do what's necessary to avoid it.

house215
03-31-2009, 08:44 PM
Speaking of opening day, any word on if our President will be there throwing out the first pitch?

Jerko
03-31-2009, 08:47 PM
I'll be out there freezing my rump roast off either way. I love getting beer on my winter gloves.

Rocky Soprano
03-31-2009, 08:49 PM
Speaking of opening day, any word on if our President will be there throwing out the first pitch?

He won't be.

pearso66
03-31-2009, 09:06 PM
I wish I could go, but I remember going in 06 and the weather was aweful. There was a long rain delay and they eventually got the game over pretty late.

DoItForDanPasqua
03-31-2009, 10:55 PM

He will be at the G20 summit. I feel bad for him: it sucks having to work on opening day.

nasox
03-31-2009, 11:03 PM
I wish I could go, but I remember going in 06 and the weather was aweful. There was a long rain delay and they eventually got the game over pretty late.

And Cleveland kicked our asses if I recall correctly.

DaveIsHere
04-01-2009, 06:23 AM
I am pretty geeked for this April. I use to hate the fact that a lot of the games were during the day to start the season, but I work from home now so I can watch and work!!!!! Yes!!!

OD will be watched from my couch, I will wish for th ebest weather for everyone that is there.

doublem23
04-01-2009, 06:25 AM

No, we pounded the Indians Opening Day, 2006 (Thome's moonshot in the rain)... They beat us pretty badly the 2nd game of the season, Ring Day.

russ99
04-01-2009, 01:08 PM
He will be at the G20 summit. I feel bad for him: it sucks having to work on opening day.

No he won't. He and Michelle fly back to Washington on the 5th. But I still doubt he'll be at The Cell. Too much work to do.

Ragator43
04-01-2009, 07:39 PM

The Cleveland OD beatdown was in 07. Sizemore took Contreras yard on the second pitch of the game and it was all downhill from there on out.

TomBradley72
04-01-2009, 07:54 PM
The Cleveland OD beatdown was in 07. Sizemore took Contreras yard on the second pitch of the game and it was all downhill from there on out.

Yep. Erstad homered, after that it was all downhill for his grinderness.

Lundind1
04-01-2009, 08:00 PM

Was almost 80 when we rolled in the parking lot around 2 PM in 2006. The weather was great for the first 4 innings, warm and beautiful. Then the storms came. That is probably one of the longest rain-delays that I decided to wait out.
We ended up winning that game big, Thome hit an absolute bomb of a homer after the delay.
That is a night I will never forget, when the banners came down....the look in my dad's eyes. After being a Sox fan for over 60 years and getting to see it, what a night.

Lundind1
04-01-2009, 08:03 PM
No, we pounded the Indians Opening Day, 2006 (Thome's moonshot in the rain)... They beat us pretty badly the 2nd game of the season, Ring Day.

2007 was an embarassing home opener. 12-5, man what a nightmare that season was.

sox2000divchamps
04-01-2009, 08:07 PM
Was almost 80 when we rolled in the parking lot around 2 PM in 2006. The weather was great for the first 4 innings, warm and beautiful. Then the storms came. That is probably one of the longest rain-delays that I decided to wait out.
We ended up winning that game big, Thome hit an absolute bomb of a homer after the delay.
That is a night I will never forget, when the banners came down....the look in my dad's eyes. After being a Sox fan for over 60 years and getting to see it, what a night.

Boy, that seems like yesterday. I remember pulling out the grill, and everything. Old men crying, young men celebrating. But the best was the ring game. Phew, the memories.

ChiSoxGirl
04-01-2009, 09:37 PM
Jim Ramsey on WGN a few minutes ago, "After tomorrow, things are going to get cold and wintry around here for the next four or five days." :rolleyes: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

doublem23
04-01-2009, 09:39 PM
It's April.

hi im skot
04-01-2009, 09:40 PM
What a kick in the crotch.

ChiSoxGirl
04-01-2009, 09:43 PM
What a kick in the crotch.

Yeah, that about sums it up! :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

EDIT: Per Jim Ramsey's seven day forecast, "An accumulating snow for Opening Day with a high of 37!" ***?!?!?!?!

kevingrt
04-01-2009, 11:08 PM

EDIT: Per Jim Ramsey's seven day forecast, "An accumulating snow for Opening Day with a high of 37!" ***?!?!?!?!

I am so pumped. Get out those Bear's Jerseys. Oh wait. Opening Day for baseball. This is a bit of a problem.

chisoxfanatic
04-01-2009, 11:16 PM
That whole day for me was one where it seemed time stood still. It was so surreal seeing the banner ceremony and then Buehrle pitching so well and then the huge rain delay followed by that Thome HR, which was hit in heavy rain, and just constantly adding runs after the rain delay. We didn't leave the ballpark until around 1am.

ChiSoxGirl, I think we need for Cuck the Fubs to be there. He can have a few words with Old Man Winter for all of us. I'd love for him to do it right by home plate. I'm sure he'd emulate Ozzie for all of us to see! :D:

Law11
04-02-2009, 08:17 AM
I am so pumped. Get out those Bear's Jerseys. Oh wait. Opening Day for baseball. This is a bit of a problem.

I will be in my Bear Parka however..

twsoxfan5
04-02-2009, 11:37 AM
Things are not looking any better as the week wears on:
Mon (http://www.weather.com/outlook/recreation/outdoors/wxdetail/60613?dayNum=4)
Apr 6

http://i.imwx.com/web/common/wxicons/45/14.gif?12122006
Few Snow Showers / Wind
35°
28°

chisoxfanatic
04-02-2009, 11:44 AM
FWIW, Accuweather displays a high of 41 and "Mainly cloudy, windy and cold."

DeuceUnit
04-02-2009, 12:08 PM
I will say I would rather have it be 32 and light snow here and there as opposed to 40 and raining. Rain means no baseball and it is no fun being sopping wet AND cold. It's so aggravating having this terrible weather. It's the one day of the year all us baseball fans look forward to like Christmas and it basically gets ruined. As long as they get the game in and the Sox win I'll be happy though! :gulp:

kobo
04-02-2009, 12:22 PM
I like using Weather Underground for checking the weather. It's a site that is run basically by weather nerds. There's a station at the Cell that provides weather updates for Chicago. http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=60290&searchType=WEATHER

Right now they have the forecast as a high of 41 with a rain/snow mix throughout the morning and afternoon.

Woofer
04-02-2009, 01:44 PM

That was a great night. Everyone was so emotional. The videos were great. The flyover was awesome. The weather got crazy, and all of us sitting in the outfield tried to get out of the rain. It got so backed up that we couldn't get out of the rain. We were wearing ponchos, but our legs and shoes got soaked. We wer glad that the game didn't get rained out, and saw a White Sox winner.

I am hoping that Mondays game doesn't get snowed out!

soxinem1
04-02-2009, 01:48 PM
According to weather.com the forecast on April 6th calls for Snow Showers! :o:

Maybe we'll get lucky though and the weather will take a turn for the better before then.

We got snow in 1982 and started with a big winning streak.

Maybe snow is not a bad thing............

DeuceUnit
04-02-2009, 02:20 PM
The Sox are watching the weather closely Monday. It may be postponed before Monday and rescheduled for a 1:05 start Tuesday.

Rocky Soprano
04-02-2009, 02:21 PM
The Sox are watching the weather closely Monday. It may be postponed before Monday and rescheduled for a 1:05 start Tuesday.

Source?

Lip Man 1
04-02-2009, 02:59 PM
Sox1:

Of couse that same snow delayed the season for a week to ten days in some cases and the Midwest and East Coast were hammered by it.

--------------------

Ya gotta love ol' Proud To Be Your Bud and his schedule makers having teams open in cold weather as opposed to having only teams in warm weather / dome facilities host the first week of the season.

:rolleyes:

Lip

skobabe8
04-02-2009, 03:12 PM

Where did you hear that?

beasly213
04-02-2009, 03:15 PM
Sox1:

Of couse that same snow delayed the season for a week to ten days in some cases and the Midwest and East Coast were hammered by it.

--------------------

Ya gotta love ol' Proud To Be Your Bud and his schedule makers having teams open in cold weather as opposed to having only teams in warm weather / dome facilities host the first week of the season.

:rolleyes:

Lip

You can't do that because its unfair to Warm Weather Teams/Dome teams to have less games at home during the end of the year which is usually crucial.

sox2000divchamps
04-02-2009, 03:42 PM
Where did you hear that?

Thats why there is that day off between OD and the 2nd game, so if it gets postponed, it will be the next day, and it will still be Opening Day.

sox2000divchamps
04-02-2009, 03:43 PM
You can't do that because its unfair to Warm Weather Teams/Dome teams to have less games at home during the end of the year which is usually crucial.

100% Agree.

doublem23
04-02-2009, 03:46 PM
Thats why there is that day off between OD and the 2nd game, so if it gets postponed, it will be the next day, and it will still be Opening Day.

Yes, we understand why they schedule the off day, everyone is questioning where people heard the Sox might postpone a game in advance... The only time I've ever see MLB do that was for a blizzard or hurricane.

doublem23
04-02-2009, 03:48 PM

Not to mention the fact that the record high on April 6 in Chicago is 80 and the average high is 55. It just ****ing happens. Sometimes its cold. College and high school kids are already playing outdoors in the weather, the pros can suck it up and wear long sleeves.

DeuceUnit
04-02-2009, 04:00 PM
I didn't mean to make it sound like they were cancelling it tomorrow or anything but possibly later Sunday or very early Monday depending on the weather. The make up game would be Tuesday at 1:05. My source is about as good as one could get and I will leave it at that. I have posted other tidbits over the years and none of the info has been bogus.

whitesox901
04-02-2009, 04:05 PM
I didn't mean to make it sound like they were cancelling it tomorrow or anything but possibly later Sunday or very early Monday depending on the weather. The make up game would be Tuesday at 1:05. My source is about as good as one could get and I will leave it at that. I have posted other tidbits over the years and none of the info has been bogus.

otis is that you?? :D:

LoveYourSuit
04-02-2009, 04:15 PM

:cleo

DeuceUnit
04-02-2009, 04:26 PM
:cleo

That's some funny ****....I hate to break it to ya, but I am pretty much just stating the obvious anyways. If its ****ty Monday the game will be played Tuesday. Just thought I would mention the fact that there is a chance of that happening and what Plan B is.

chisoxfanatic
04-02-2009, 04:39 PM
They wouldn't have to have a light home schedule at the end of the season. Instead, they could just have a pretty road-heavy month of May, like we did last season (I think we only had nine home games last May).

russ99
04-02-2009, 04:49 PM
I like using Weather Underground for checking the weather. It's a site that is run basically by weather nerds. There's a station at the Cell that provides weather updates for Chicago. http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=60290&searchType=WEATHER

Right now they have the forecast as a high of 41 with a rain/snow mix throughout the morning and afternoon.

I'm hoping for a bit more sun, which makes a big difference regardless of the temp.

Still, I'm sure we'll all have fun no matter what the weather is. :D:

whitesox901
04-02-2009, 05:06 PM

woo-hoo thursday high 50's :thumbsup:

Foulke You
04-02-2009, 05:06 PM
I'm hoping for a bit more sun, which makes a big difference regardless of the temp.

Still, I'm sure we'll all have fun no matter what the weather is. :D:
I agree. Cold is fine because they can still play in that. I expect the weather to be cold on Opening Day. It is the snow/rain that I'm worried about. I just don't want the game canceled because I have friends going to that game with me that won't be able to make it if they push it back to Tuesday.:(:

sox2000divchamps
04-02-2009, 05:58 PM

Yeah, its also supposed to be nice on Wed, too. Lets kick KC ass!

chisoxfanatic
04-02-2009, 08:51 PM
Crud, now even Accuweather's saying 37!

It looks like I'll be breaking out my University of Waterloo hoodie at the game on Monday with a couple of layers of sweatshirts underneath.

soxfan21
04-02-2009, 09:17 PM
As long as there is no rain, it shouldn't be too bad, as long as they get the game in then it's all good. By the way, how cold does it have to be to have a game cancelled? I thought it was around 20 or something but was not sure, just hoping this game does not get called for cold weather either.

Sad
04-03-2009, 08:18 AM

unless the forecast changes I think I'm gonna target Thursday and blow off Monday...

soxfan21
04-03-2009, 09:50 AM
At least next weekend looks good as well right now, 50's and sunny.

skobabe8
04-03-2009, 09:57 AM
Yes, we understand why they schedule the off day, everyone is questioning where people heard the Sox might postpone a game in advance... The only time I've ever see MLB do that was for a blizzard or hurricane.

Thank you.

russ99
04-03-2009, 09:58 AM

That would truly suck as many of us took days off work weeks beforehand, and won't be able to make Tuesday's make up date.

And I went to one of the Twins games the first weekend 2 years ago, and it was much colder than we're expecting for Monday. So I can't see why they'd cancel unless we got substantial snow...

skobabe8
04-03-2009, 10:03 AM
That would truly suck as many of us took days off work weeks beforehand, and won't be able to make Tuesday's make up date.

And I went to one of the Twins games the first weekend 2 years ago, and it was much colder than we're expecting for Monday. So I can't see why they'd cancel unless we got substantial snow...

Thta would absolutely blow as there is NO WAY i can get off of work tuesday. bye bye tickets.

sox102
04-03-2009, 11:32 AM
Thta would absolutely blow as there is NO WAY i can get off of work tuesday. bye bye tickets.

I think most of us are in that boat. We aren't Cub fans who don't work during the day! :D:

KnightSox
04-03-2009, 11:37 AM
I think most of us are in that boat. We aren't Cub fans who don't work during the day! :D:I can hear Lee Elia now.......

whitesox901
04-03-2009, 11:40 AM
I can hear Lee Elia now.......

:D: nice

russ99
04-03-2009, 11:58 AM
I can hear Lee Elia now.......

I actually have the uncensored MP3. (much thanks, Grobber :D:)

Quite hilarious, and true even to this day.

DaveFeelsRight
04-03-2009, 12:49 PM
weather forecasts for every home game haha

http://www.weather.com/outlook/events/mlb/result/?from=mlb_seo&query=SPORTS_TEAM_SCHEDULE&team=beaw

DaveIsHere
04-03-2009, 01:10 PM

http://www.weather.com/outlook/events/mlb/result/?from=mlb_seo&query=SPORTS_TEAM_SCHEDULE&team=beaw

Sweet, going to be 80 on my Birthday!!!

sox2000divchamps
04-03-2009, 03:33 PM
I actually have the uncensored MP3. (much thanks, Grobber :D:)

Quite hilarious, and true even to this day.

Yes, probably the best postgame interview, and all that he said was ture!

chisoxfanatic
04-03-2009, 04:03 PM
While we're on the topic, what is the worst Opening Day weather you've ever experienced?

roylestillman
04-03-2009, 05:19 PM
While we're on the topic, what is the worst Opening Day weather you've ever experienced?

There have been a number of them, but I'll limit it to those where a game was actually played. Start with 2003, which was delayed about 3 hours with a a 38 degree rain that wouldn't quit. Once the game got goin it wasn't bad. 2006 was warm but had that biblical downpour half way through the game. I was in the upper deck and we all kept moving back to get under the roof. It looked like the stern of the Titanic up there.

The worst was OPening Day of 1979. It was rainy and freezing. We were sitting just under the overhang of the upperdeck of the old park. By the third inning it started dripping on us. I still shudder to think what was dripping on us. The game and the weather was so bad that Veeck invited everyone back for free the next day.

SoxGirl4Life
04-03-2009, 06:38 PM

They forgot to include the playoffs :tongue:

Soxaredabest
04-03-2009, 08:50 PM
Just checked weatherunderground.com and there is now a 50% chance of precipitation at game time, that is up from %40 earlier today.

I'm more concerned with the forecast on Sunday. Right now there is "definite rain" for much of the day on Sunday and "likely snow" overnight. Let's see how it plays out!

roylestillman
04-03-2009, 10:11 PM
Jim Ramsey said during his 7 day forecast that there may be 3-5 inches Sunday night into Monday and that the storm has slowed down. Time to get the Plan B's in line.

Taft says 1-2 inches. Channel 5 is still at snow showers.

soxfan21
04-03-2009, 10:33 PM
Jim Ramsey said during his 7 day forecast that there may be 3-5 inches Sunday night into Monday and that the storm has slowed down. Time to get the Plan B's in line.

I heard earlier today that most of the heavy stuff will be north and west of the city, is this still true?

DoItForDanPasqua
04-03-2009, 11:59 PM

Probably 1999 when the weather was horrible and Mike Sirotka made three errors in one inning. The park was about half full.

DoItForDanPasqua
04-04-2009, 12:01 AM

My plan B is to cry, because I can't get Tuesday off and I have a ticket for a terrace suite.

ChiSoxGirl
04-04-2009, 12:08 AM

I've never heard of anyone at my school switching a Personal Day, but it may be something I'm forced to consider. My principal has known me for five years and when I e-mailed her to let her know I'd be taking a Personal Day on Monday, she replied with, "Go Sox." The only problem is I don't know if the sub. I have lined up would be able to come in for me on Tuesday. Chances are I'd have to miss my first Opening Day since 2005 and only my second since 2000. :whiner:

:mg: That could totally screw us over. :angry:

My plan B is to cry, because I can't get Tuesday off and I have a ticket for a terrace suite.

I'm right there with you. I've got a Club Level ticket that I'd rather not see go to waste.

soxfan21
04-04-2009, 09:09 AM
does anyone know or remember an OD actually being postponed?

skobabe8
04-04-2009, 09:32 AM
I think the heavy snow will stay north. There may be some on the ground at gametime, but i think we will be okay.

Brian26
04-04-2009, 09:33 AM
does anyone know or remember an OD actually being postponed?

1982...season was delayed a week due to a mammoth snowstorm in NY.

Lip Man 1
04-04-2009, 10:30 AM
Brian:

The mammoth snowstorm was across the entire Midwest and East Coast. That year the Sox were supposed to open in Chicago against the Red Sox. Sox management was expecting an opening day crowd of over 50 thousand packed into Comiskey Park. Needless to say, it didn't happen.

------------------------

Worst home opening day weather, by far...1973. Snow was still piled up on the edges of the field at Comiskey Park. My friends and I skipped high school and got to the park hours before the first pitch. In those days they'd open the gates a few hours ahead of time so fans could watch BP. It was absolutely freezing.

Reggie Jackson and Catfish Hunter were playing long toss in right field, we were sitting in the first row of seats. We all yellat at Reggie and he came over and spoke to us for a minute.

Then the Sox got their brains beat out...:(:

Lip

ChiSoxGirl
04-04-2009, 10:37 AM
I think the heavy snow will stay north. There may be some on the ground at gametime, but i think we will be okay.

Back a couple months ago when we had all that snow on the ground, I remember complaining how there's no way it'd all melt for Opening Day. Well, all of that snow melted, but I never thought we'd have FRESH snow on the ground on April 6! Seriously, what the hell?!

BTW, the forecast has been updated...

Weather.com: Wind and an 80% chance of snow with a high of 34. (http://www.weather.com/weather/wxdetail/60616?dayNum=2)

WGN: Cloudy, blustery, and cold with a heavy wet snow. North to northwest winds gusting to 35 mph with a high of 36. (http://weather.wgntv.com/US/IL/Chicago.html?main=1)

AccuWeather: Very windy with snow showers and a high of 33 (http://www.accuweather.com/us/il/chicago/60616/forecast-details.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=0&zipchg=1&metric=0&fday=3). They have the real feel being 14 degrees!!!

Is Opening Day on APRIL 6 or FEBRUARY 6?! Any way you slice it, Monday is going to totally suck in the weather department! :angry:

sox2000divchamps
04-04-2009, 10:58 AM
This is why I quit going to OD years ago. The weather always sucks, and everyone gets pissed, including me, and if it gets posponed, things get screwed up. Now I always go to the 2nd game. May not be quite as fun, but I will still make it to 40+ games anyway, so I'm OK.

kevingrt
04-04-2009, 11:58 AM
This is why I quit going to OD years ago. The weather always sucks, and everyone gets pissed, including me, and if it gets posponed, things get screwed up. Now I always go to the 2nd game. May not be quite as fun, but I will still make it to 40+ games anyway, so I'm OK.

Wait you go to the second game of the year and the weather is that much different? Something is wrong here. And the past three out of four seasons the weather has been jut fine. This year no.

And if the game gets postponed they move it to Tuesday. Don't things get screwed up if they move the second game of the season?

Your rationale in not going to OD makes sense but everything you complain about OD has just as good of a chance as happening on the second game of the year.

roylestillman
04-04-2009, 12:52 PM
1982...season was delayed a week due to a mammoth snowstorm in NY.
Opening Day was scheduled for (fatefully) April 6th in 1982. There was a heavy snow here that wiped out the whole opening series, which resulted in rescheduling to Opening Night on April 16th - when it poured rain. The first game was then part of a double header on Saturday April 17th (we won both.)

DoItForDanPasqua
04-04-2009, 12:53 PM

April 6 average temperature in Chicago= 40 degrees and snow.

April 8 average temperature in Chicago= 72 degrees and sunny.

JohnTucker0814
04-04-2009, 01:01 PM
:rolling::rolling::rolling::rolling:

This is hilarious!

jmeneghini1433
04-04-2009, 01:28 PM
I think everyone needs to calm down about the opening day weather, it will be fine.

Brian26
04-04-2009, 01:28 PM
Wait you go to the second game of the year and the weather is that much different? Something is wrong here. And the past three out of four seasons the weather has been jut fine. This year no.

And if the game gets postponed they move it to Tuesday. Don't things get screwed up if they move the second game of the season?

Your rationale in not going to OD makes sense but everything you complain about OD has just as good of a chance as happening on the second game of the year.

I agree that his rationale makes little sense, with the case in point being 2007. Opening Day was cool, but tolerable (except for the awful Contreras start and Sox drubbing by Cleveland). Two days later, a cold front moved in that was so terrible that the Wednesday afternoon game was one of the most miserable games I've ever attended, and the Friday night game was cancelled altogether due to the cold.

A more logical statement might be "I always skip Opening Day and go to the first Saturday night fireworks game in May", or something to that effect.

Brian26
04-04-2009, 01:33 PM
Brian:

The mammoth snowstorm was across the entire Midwest and East Coast. That year the Sox were supposed to open in Chicago against the Red Sox. Sox management was expecting an opening day crowd of over 50 thousand packed into Comiskey Park. Needless to say, it didn't happen.

As an aside, I went back to retrosheet and looked up the results of the beginning of the '82 season. I remember the Sox got off to a decent start, but I didn't remember this:

LaMarr Hoyt was 9-0 by May 24.

DoItForDanPasqua
04-04-2009, 01:35 PM
I just checked weather.com. The forecast now calls for a high of 34 with an 80% chance of bees.

sox2000divchamps
04-04-2009, 02:11 PM

I should of been more specific. I like going up to the Stadium Club if its cold or bad outside. On OD, its like a cattle heard up there. OD is fun, but I just prefer the second game. You guys dont have to get all pissed at me like this.

Lip Man 1
04-04-2009, 02:26 PM
Brian:

May 29, 1982 - LaMarr Hoyt is beaten by the Indians 5 - 2 at Cleveland. Hoyt had won his first nine decisions of the season and coupled with five straight wins from 1981, meant he had won 14 consecutive games. It was longest win streak over multiple seasons in franchise history at that point. Hoyt hadn’t lost a game since August 15, 1981 at (where else?) Baltimore.

Lip

kevingrt
04-04-2009, 02:39 PM
I should of been more specific. I like going up to the Stadium Club if its cold or bad outside. On OD, its like a cattle heard up there. OD is fun, but I just prefer the second game. You guys dont have to get all pissed at me like this.

We weren't pissed. Your statement just made no sense at all. Now it does. Thanks. People don't get pissed here.

chisoxfanatic
04-04-2009, 02:47 PM
Unfortunately, aside from the precipitation, things aren't looking much better for Tuesday. The 2-day arctic blast that's coming chose the best time to hit.

DoItForDanPasqua
04-04-2009, 03:13 PM
We weren't pissed. Your statement just made no sense at all. Now it does. Thanks. People don't get pissed here.

:tealpolice:

You are under arrest!

thomas35forever
04-04-2009, 03:41 PM
The MLB Event Forecast on weather.com is calling for a high of 35 with a 70 percent chance of snow. Heavy winds blowing NNW too. Sorry folks, but I highly doubt we're going to see baseball on Monday. I'm sort of hoping for it though because I have class from 12-2:30 and then a radio meeting at 4 and a newspaper meeting at 6:30. Tuesday would be ideal for me except for a work meeting at 1.

roylestillman
04-04-2009, 04:25 PM
Updated National Weather Service forecast as of 4:00 pm.

.SUNDAY NIGHT...SNOW. SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 1 TO 3 INCHES.
BLUSTERY. LOWS AROUND 30. NORTH WINDS 15 TO 25 MPH WITH GUSTS UP
TO 35 MPH AT TIMES. CHANCE OF PRECIPITATION 80 PERCENT.
.MONDAY...CLOUDY WITH A 50 PERCENT CHANCE OF SNOW. BLUSTERY.
HIGHS IN THE UPPER 30S. NORTH WINDS 15 TO 25 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO
35 MPH AT TIMES.
.MONDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH A 40 PERCENT CHANCE OF LIGHT
SNOW SHOWERS. LOWS IN THE MID 20S. NORTHWEST WINDS 10 TO 20 MPH
WITH GUSTS UP TO 30 MPH AT TIMES.
.TUESDAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY IN THE MORNING THEN BECOMING PARTLY
SUNNY. A CHANCE OF FLURRIES. HIGHS IN THE LOWER 40S.

Right now I'd take my chances on Tuesday

Garland_IS_God
04-04-2009, 05:28 PM
Do you think they would announce if the game is going to be postponed the day before?? I hope they do, that way I just go into work and take Tuesday off instead.

DumpJerry
04-04-2009, 05:40 PM
The weather will be fine. The last outdoor sporting event I attended was the Bears/Packers' game on Monday night last December. That was cold!

Garland_IS_God
04-04-2009, 05:44 PM
The weather will be fine. The last outdoor sporting event I attended was the Bears/Packers' game on Monday night last December. That was cold!

Yeah but a few years ago I think a few games got called because of cold weather. I hope to god the game doesn't get canceled.

DoItForDanPasqua
04-04-2009, 05:56 PM
This is what the intelligentsia in KC think about the matter, as posted on the Royal Review:

Opening day forecast: High of 35, snow, windy (http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/USIL0225?from=36hr_topnav_undeclared)

"Unless that wind is blowing out, I think we can expect a 3-2 or 2-1 game. Isn't it great to open the season in Chicago? When are they going to put a roof on that toilet anyway?"

Perhaps all that barbecue and the last place finishes have rotted their brains.

sox2000divchamps
04-04-2009, 05:57 PM

Nah. Nice day. Seriously though, that some of the most brutal cold I've ever experenced, and one of the greatest Bears games ever, too.

JB98
04-04-2009, 06:01 PM
This is what the intelligentsia in KC think about the matter, as posted on the Royal Review:

Opening day forecast: High of 35, snow, windy (http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/USIL0225?from=36hr_topnav_undeclared)

"Unless that wind is blowing out, I think we can expect a 3-2 or 2-1 game. Isn't it great to open the season in Chicago? When are they going to put a roof on that toilet anyway?"

They are cowards. If I didn't have to work, I'd be out there Monday. Let's play ball.

thepaulbowski
04-04-2009, 06:02 PM

Yes, I never had a beer turn to slush until that game.

Rdy2PlayBall
04-04-2009, 06:09 PM
I need to know tomorrow at noon if this game is being postponed. I can't slack Sunday and then end up going to school Monday and have nothing done. I don't really feel like working on homework today or tomorrow.

PLAY IN THE SNOW!!! I'm prepared. Ski cap under a Sox hat, t-shirt, sweater over t-shirt, hoody over sweatshirt, and a jersey over all that. It will feel like July to me! :D:

cards press box
04-04-2009, 07:18 PM
Updated National Weather Service forecast as of 4:00 pm.

.SUNDAY NIGHT...SNOW. SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 1 TO 3 INCHES.
BLUSTERY. LOWS AROUND 30. NORTH WINDS 15 TO 25 MPH WITH GUSTS UP
TO 35 MPH AT TIMES. CHANCE OF PRECIPITATION 80 PERCENT.
.MONDAY...CLOUDY WITH A 50 PERCENT CHANCE OF SNOW. BLUSTERY.
HIGHS IN THE UPPER 30S. NORTH WINDS 15 TO 25 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO
35 MPH AT TIMES.
.MONDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH A 40 PERCENT CHANCE OF LIGHT
SNOW SHOWERS. LOWS IN THE MID 20S. NORTHWEST WINDS 10 TO 20 MPH
WITH GUSTS UP TO 30 MPH AT TIMES.
.TUESDAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY IN THE MORNING THEN BECOMING PARTLY
SUNNY. A CHANCE OF FLURRIES. HIGHS IN THE LOWER 40S.

Right now I'd take my chances on Tuesday

Based upon the current forecast, Wednesday looks like it has the best weather during the K.C. series. Wednesday has a high of 49 degrees, partly sunny with no precipitation in the forecast.

Here's a question: the Sox already have a scheduled night game on Wed. so why not open with a day-night doubleheader? A lot of people going to the opener would stick around for the night cap, so the Sox would do better attendance-wise on Wed. night than they might have otherwise.

The Sox have had some luck with opening day doubleheaders in the past. Anyone remember them sweeping Oakland in Oakland on opening day, 1971? I recall that the Sox once swept the Yanks on an opening day in New York in the early '80's, too.

So, gang, what do you think?

http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/vacationplanner/tenday/USIL0225?from=weekend_topnav_vacation

Ragator43
04-04-2009, 08:25 PM
Yeah but a few years ago I think a few games got called because of cold weather. I hope to god the game doesn't get canceled.

Ironically, Monday will be two years to the day of the canceled game vs the Twins. The weather was a lot worse that night than it's scheduled to be Monday. I was at the Saturday game the day after in '07. The temp when i stepped out of the car was 26 degrees AND it snowed during the game without a delay being called.

sox2000divchamps
04-04-2009, 09:33 PM
Ironically, Monday will be two years to the day of the canceled game vs the Twins. The weather was a lot worse that night than it's scheduled to be Monday. I was at the Saturday game the day after in '07. The temp when i stepped out of the car was 26 degrees AND it snowed during the game without a delay being called.

Ah, the memories.

Soxaredabest
04-05-2009, 12:03 AM
Maybe it is just me wanting this storm to miss Chicago, but take a look at it on radar (http://www.weather.com/outlook/recreation/golf/map/interactive/USIL0225?from=36hr_topnav_golf). It looks like it is moving north-north east. I'm thinking the heart of the storm will miss. Heard it here on WSI first.

But we can't forget that we are still 37 hours away from game-time and it can go any which way.

chisoxfanatic
04-05-2009, 12:16 AM
Maybe it is just me wanting this storm to miss Chicago, but take a look at it on radar (http://www.weather.com/outlook/recreation/golf/map/interactive/USIL0225?from=36hr_topnav_golf). It looks like it is moving north-north east. I'm thinking the heart of the storm will miss. Heard it here on WSI first.

But we can't forget that we are still 37 hours away from game-time and it can go any which way.
But, that goes against the 00z GFS models, which forecast 3-5 inches coming our way. If it were on the 18z GFS models, I'd take it with a grain of salt; but, this is the 00z GFS model. If that were the case, there's no way in hell the Sodfather allows a game to be played on Monday.

Hopefully they at least call it Sunday night if it is gonna be called for those who took Monday off work so that they can perhaps switch days they take off.

BigP50
04-05-2009, 12:32 AM
I will be at the game monday, watching the game in snow would be awesome

ChiSoxGirl
04-05-2009, 12:43 AM
I will be at the game monday, watching the game in snow would be awesome
Awesome? No. Memorable, YES!

Foulke You
04-05-2009, 12:46 AM
The Sox will do everything they can to try to get the game in on Monday. As a previous poster pointed out, in 2003, they waited nearly 3 hrs for a "Wrath of God" type thunderstorm to pass before getting the game underway. It rained lightly for practically the whole game and they played anyway. I'm sure the Sox are well aware that Opening Day is an event that many people take vacation days to go to and will try to get it in. I will be in the Upper Deck on Monday and I plan on dressing for a hike in Siberia. Go Sox!:cool:

chisoxfanatic
04-05-2009, 12:50 AM
I guess the one positive here is that Buehrle will be starting. If all goes right, the game'll be done in under 2 hours, and we can get all warm soon after.

havelj
04-05-2009, 08:43 AM

So would they prefer we play the game in Kansas City instead with this forecast?
MONDAY:
Windy with some snow flurries possible in the morning. Cold. High 36F. Winds NW at 20 to 30 mph.

Quentin4prez
04-05-2009, 10:03 AM
i was just looking at tomarrows forcast and it doesn't look good at all it is supposed to start snowing today at around 11 or noon and notstop until tomarrow night

Dat Funky Motion
04-05-2009, 10:38 AM
The Sod father was on the Score this morning. He said the they will get this game in unless we get 4 inches or more of now. They asked him about moving it to Tues and he said it looks the same for both days.

Now I own a car wash and watch the weather close. It is not even close for Tues. Its a 20% chance with it being 8 to 10 degrees warmer. It has looked that way for 5 days now.

He said that Jerry, Kenny and himself will meet Monday at 8 to dicuss it.

white sox bill
04-05-2009, 10:41 AM
The Sod father was on the Score this morning. He said the they will get this game in unless we get 4 inches or more of now. They asked him about moving it to Tues and he said it looks the same for both days.

Now I own a car wash and watch the weather close. It is not even close for Tues. Its a 20% chance with it being 8 to 10 degrees warmer. It has looked that way for 5 days now.

Who has the final call? The Umps?

DoItForDanPasqua
04-05-2009, 10:46 AM
Who has the final call? The Umps?

The Sox have the call until the lineup cards are exchanged. Then it's up to the umps.

Soxaredabest
04-05-2009, 11:53 AM
Trib also says 8:00 tomorrow morning....

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2009/04/white-sox-to-make-opening-day-decision-monday-morning.html

sox102
04-05-2009, 12:02 PM
we won't need as much ice this year to keep the kegs cold!!

chisox616
04-05-2009, 12:31 PM
So would they prefer we play the game in Kansas City instead with this forecast?
MONDAY:
Windy with some snow flurries possible in the morning. Cold. High 36F. Winds NW at 20 to 30 mph.

Hahaha thank you, I was thinking the same thing. I think our weather is going to be almost exactly the same as Chicago's, but it'll be 50 by Tuesday. Although part of me wishes it would've been a Royals opener, I might have been able to go. :(: Either way, I know a few Royals fans who are gonna be watching the game with me on Monday and it's gonna be a blast so I'm not too worried.

TomBradley72
04-05-2009, 12:32 PM
MONDAY:

I still don't understand why this year's first week's openers aren't scheduled for: Texas, Toronto, LAA, Oakland, Seattle, Minnesota and Tampa Bay. The 2nd week openers could be in the other 7 AL cities. One week can make a pretty big difference in the northern cities w/out domes.

NoNeckEra
04-05-2009, 12:47 PM

That means that unless the field is unplayable, the game will go on.
The time to cancel was today, to give those traveling to the game a chance to change plans.

Once it gets to game day, the cold won't be a factor in the decision.

Early Win!
04-05-2009, 12:50 PM
Does anyone know the history what opening games that the Sox had at home were postponed by snow/ rain? I am curious as it does not look good for Monday.

tick53
04-05-2009, 12:55 PM
I don't know the history of it but the only time that I attended opening day in 1982 at the old park, IT got rained out after we got there. We did manage to drop a wad of cash on beer though.

Sox
04-05-2009, 01:05 PM
we will all just have to cross our fingers and hope that the weather forecast is wrong or at least the weather will hold out long enough to get the game in IMO.

sox2000divchamps
04-05-2009, 01:17 PM
I still don't understand why this year's first week's openers aren't scheduled for: Texas, Toronto, LAA, Oakland, Seattle, Minnesota and Tampa Bay. The 2nd week openers could be in the other 7 AL cities. One week can make a pretty big difference in the northern cities w/out domes.

I have been saying this for years. But, with Bud, good ideas are always not very good.

ChiSox89
04-05-2009, 01:24 PM
is it possible that there is a day night double header on wednesday if it snows both tommorow and tuesday

kevingrt
04-05-2009, 01:29 PM
That means that unless the field is unplayable, the game will go on.
The time to cancel was today, to give those traveling to the game a chance to change plans.

Once it gets to game day, the cold won't be a factor in the decision.

Pretty sure your right. It all depends on the amount of snow we get. Cold will not factor in.

sunofgold
04-05-2009, 01:55 PM
Looks at the projected winds.

Really they should cancel this as early as possible. Save a lot of grief of people commuting to the game in bad weather and waiting around in the wet and the cold.

Tuesday looks iffy as well. Wednesday looks good.

Looking at a possible re-scheduled game sometime later in the year. We do have two more home series against KC. Wouldn't be hard to re-schedule a game against them.

Sucks, but what can you do.

cards press box
04-05-2009, 02:05 PM
is it possible that there is a day night double header on wednesday if it snows both tommorow and tuesday

A day night doubleheader on Wednesday makes a lot more sense than playing in February conditions on either Monday or Tuesday. As I said in an earlier post, if the Sox go the day/night DH route, lot of people going to the opener on Wednesday would stick around for the nightcap, too.

Really they should cancel this as early as possible. Save a lot of grief of people commuting to the game in bad weather and waiting around in the wet and the cold.

Looking at a possible re-scheduled game sometime later in the year. We do have two more home series against KC. Wouldn't be hard to re-schedule a game against them.

Simple, day/night DH on Wednesday.

Brian26
04-05-2009, 02:07 PM

So everyone that dropped coin for Opening Day tickets either by purchasing season ticket packages or hitting StubHub gets screwed while the people who bought Wednesday tickets below face get to see the Opener.
Makes sense.

Brian26
04-05-2009, 02:10 PM
Trib also says 8:00 tomorrow morning....

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2009/04/white-sox-to-make-opening-day-decision-monday-morning.html

This is already turning into a fiasco. By 8am on Monday, most people have already made their decision on whether or not they are going to work for the day.

Jerry, Kenny and Sodfather need to make the call tonight so it can be announced on the 10 o'clock news.

roylestillman
04-05-2009, 02:13 PM
Getting a nice round of Thundersleet right now on the Southside.

cards press box
04-05-2009, 02:27 PM
So everyone that dropped coin for Opening Day tickets either by purchasing season ticket packages or hitting StubHub gets screwed while the people who bought Wednesday tickets below face get to see the Opener.
Makes sense.

Not to beat a dead horse, but a day/night DH on Wednesday solves this problem, too. If the Sox go the DH route, anyone who purchased a ticket for Monday, April 6 would simply use that ticket for the day game on Wednesday, April 8. Simple.

doublem23
04-05-2009, 02:27 PM
Pretty sure your right. It all depends on the amount of snow we get. Cold will not factor in.

They've canceled games before due to cold, though, they were night games.

Anyway, don't know if this has been posted yet, but the Sox will make the call Monday morning, so check before you head out:

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2009/04/is-sox-opener-on-no-call-until-monday-morning.html

sunofgold
04-05-2009, 02:52 PM
Way too early for day/evening DH. Especially in cold conditions. Screws up our pitching rotation way too early.

Schedule a day game on Wednesday. Opening day tickets are good for that game. And it will be the first game (opening day).

The night game on Wednesday would be re-scheduled for another time the Royals come to US Cellular.

Opening day ticket buyers wouldn't be screwed. Screw some people who have tickets for the Wed night. But they could use them later in the year when the weather should be warmer (never know Chicago weather. hahah)

We would be kinda screwed for the last game in Min

Rotation would be
Wed (day) Buehrle
Wed (night) Floyd
Thur Danks
Fri Color or Contreras
Sat Contreras or Colon
SUN : against the Twins who would have one of their 5 starters available. Would have to probably be Richards or maybe Carrasco. That would sucks. haah!

Soxfan 78
04-05-2009, 03:14 PM
Mod Edit: do not reproduce copyrighted material on WSI. A link to this story was already posted on here.

Sounds like there is a good chance of play even with a little snow...Cmon think positive, it's Opening Day for god's sake!!!!!!! :gulp:

WS in 05
04-05-2009, 03:15 PM
Way too early for day/evening DH. Especially in cold conditions. Screws up our pitching rotation way too early.

Schedule a day game on Wednesday. Opening day tickets are good for that game. And it will be the first game (opening day).

The night game on Wednesday would be re-scheduled for another time the Royals come to US Cellular.

Opening day ticket buyers wouldn't be screwed. Screw some people who have tickets for the Wed night. But they could use them later in the year when the weather should be warmer (never know Chicago weather. hahah)

We would be kinda screwed for the last game in Min

Rotation would be
Wed (day) Buehrle
Wed (night) Floyd
Thur Danks
Fri Color or Contreras
Sat Contreras or Colon
SUN : against the Twins who would have one of their 5 starters available. Would have to probably be Richards or maybe Carrasco. That would sucks. haah!

You contradict yourself in this post:scratch:.

kevingrt
04-05-2009, 03:18 PM
Sounds like there is a good chance of play even with a little snow...Cmon think positive, it's Opening Day for god's sake!!!!!!! :gulp:

Love the preseason optimism.

Jerko
04-05-2009, 03:21 PM
Snow is one thing, it's the 30-40 mph winds that I'm not too crazy about.

sox2000divchamps
04-05-2009, 03:25 PM
Earlier everyone was picking on me for prefering to go to the 2nd game of the season, now I might be going to OD!

Frater Perdurabo
04-05-2009, 03:30 PM

Which way will it be blowing? From the North, out toward right field? If so, look for a "Thomer" or two. :D:

sunofgold
04-05-2009, 03:37 PM
What I am trying to say is that I don't want a day/night DH. It would mess up our rotation. I was just showing how bad our rotation would be screwed up if we had to play a DH.

DumpJerry
04-05-2009, 03:38 PM
Look, we're going to sweep the Royals anyway, so why not just award us these three games and get ready for the Twins this coming weekend?

DoItForDanPasqua
04-05-2009, 03:41 PM
Earlyer everyone was picking on me for prefering to go to the 2nd game of the season, now I might be going to OD!

Now we're picking on you for not knowing how to spell earlier.

sunofgold
04-05-2009, 03:42 PM
Royals are improved. And they always give us a hard time. I don't take team for granted. For openers, Meche has given us some trouble in the past.

sox2000divchamps
04-05-2009, 03:44 PM
Earlier everyone was picking on me for prefering to go to the 2nd game of the season, now I might be going to OD!

Now we're picking on you for not knowing how to spell earlier.

Happy?

ChiSoxGirl
04-05-2009, 03:47 PM

Fortunately, the winds will be at my back, as I'm sitting up in 350!

Frater Perdurabo
04-05-2009, 03:48 PM
Royals are improved. And they always give us a hard time. I don't take team for granted. For openers, Meche has given us some trouble in the past.

Isn't Meche one of those junk-dealing craptacular pitchers who doesn't throw fastballs? Another one that comes to mind is Paul Byrd. These guys stymie Sox hitters all the time. But I'm most worried about any young pitchers who have never before faced the Sox. Those guys give the Sox the most fits.

The key to facing any of them is to wait them out, make them throw a lot of pitches (don't help them by swinging at sliders in the dirt), and get them out of the game in the sixth inning, then put up on crooked numbers on the fastball-throwing relievers.

BainesHOF
04-05-2009, 03:51 PM
The Sox might as well postpone Monday's opener early and shoot for Tuesday, which looks to be better than Monday.

dickallen15
04-05-2009, 03:58 PM
Its now only supposed to snow an inch or 2 overnight. They will play on Monday. Tuesday isn't much better and a ton of fans are invested in tomorrow.

ChiSoxGirl
04-05-2009, 04:00 PM
Its now only supposed to snow an inch or 2 overnight. They will play on Monday. Tuesday isn't much better and a ton of fans are invested in tomorrow.

From your lips to God's ears!

parlaycard
04-05-2009, 04:01 PM

im not sure this plays into the Sox decision. Unfortunately for us, is they dont play tomorrow, i can light the tickets we purchased on. As none of the 4 of us gan go if they play Tuesday. A nice waste of $700 if they dont play. Lesson learned.

champagne030
04-05-2009, 04:12 PM
Isn't Meche one of those junk-dealing craptacular pitchers who doesn't throw fastballs? Another one that comes to mind is Paul Byrd. These guys stymie Sox hitters all the time. But I'm most worried about any young pitchers who have never before faced the Sox. Those guys give the Sox the most fits.

He's nothing like Paul Byrd. He's a power pitcher with a 93-94 mph fastball. He'll also mix in a plus slider, curve and change. He was 1-1 against us last year with a 4.5 ERA, 12 IP, 10 H, 5 BB and 11 K's.

chisoxfanatic
04-05-2009, 04:15 PM
Accuweather says 3.3 inches.

eastchicagosoxfan
04-05-2009, 04:40 PM
Tomorrow would be my first opener. I hope they get the game in. I can go any day this week; I'm on vacation. But Monday will be a new experience, regardless of the weather.

dickallen15
04-05-2009, 04:51 PM
NWS forecast which was out at 4 pm said 1-2 inches of snow tonight, 20% chance of snow tomorrow. Game on.

eastchicagosoxfan
04-05-2009, 04:54 PM
NWS forecast which was out at 4 pm said 1-2 inches of snow tonight, 20% chance of snow tomorrow. Game on.
HOT DAMN!!!!!!!! I like your reasoning.:gulp::gulp::gulp:

Rdy2PlayBall
04-05-2009, 04:57 PM
HOT DAMN!!!!!!!! I like your reasoning.:gulp::gulp::gulp:Is that sarcasm? Or is that a real weather report? :?:

kevingrt
04-05-2009, 05:01 PM
Is that sarcasm? Or is that a real weather report? :?:

That's a real National Weather Service (NWS) report.

eastchicagosoxfan
04-05-2009, 05:02 PM
Is that sarcasm? Or is that a real weather report? :?:
I just want to get tomorrow's game in. The weather won't be very good all week, so why not just play as scheduled?

DoItForDanPasqua
04-05-2009, 05:02 PM
that's a real national weather service (nws) report.

Hooray!!!!

soxstarter
04-05-2009, 05:25 PM
Team and fans just strap on the thermals and let's go!

KenBerryGrab
04-05-2009, 05:43 PM
I'm dressing like it's a November football game.

It was less here than predicted. Keep hope alive.

Edit (or not).

jmeneghini1433
04-05-2009, 06:17 PM
the game is postponed. Source whitesox.com

Viva Medias B's
04-05-2009, 06:41 PM
Yet another reminder that snow sucks.

Cuck the Fubs
04-05-2009, 07:07 PM
Yet another reminder that snow sucks.

Winter sucks!

No wait that's right it's :spring" now :rolleyes:

Brian26
04-05-2009, 07:09 PM
Smart decision. This gives people a chance to make plans with work/babysitters/etc. :thumbsup:

WhiteSox5187
04-05-2009, 07:19 PM
I'm sad that they canceled it, but really, it's very hard to play in three inches of snow.

chisoxfan83
04-05-2009, 07:39 PM
I'm sad that they canceled it, but really, it's very hard to play in three inches of snow.

but the sodfather said the irrigation system can melt it :whiner: good waste of tickets oh well can't beat mother nature

Rdy2PlayBall
04-05-2009, 08:52 PM
Smart decision. This gives people a chance to make plans with work/babysitters/etc. :thumbsup:Actually it ruins everyone's already made plans. :wink:

The only good part about this is they chose today.... which is what I think you meant. :P

jmeneghini1433
04-05-2009, 09:33 PM
What do you think the crowd will be like? 30,000?

ChiSoxGirl
04-05-2009, 09:35 PM
An update on Tuesday's weather forecast.... Jim Ramsey just said there will be clouds in the morning, but the sun will come out in the afternoon! The high will be around 40, but the winds are only going to blow 10-15mph out of the north, rather than 25-35mph like they're supposed to tomorrow! It's looking like the Sox made the right decision.

Rdy2PlayBall
04-05-2009, 09:50 PM
An update on Tuesday's weather forecast.... Jim Ramsey just said there will be clouds in the morning, but the sun will come out in the afternoon! The high will be around 40, but the winds are only going to blow 10-15mph out of the north, rather than 25-35mph like they're supposed to tomorrow! It's looking like the Sox made the right decision.That's good, at least I will be able to only have to wear a hoody and won't feel all puffy. I hate the combination of wind and snow, I don't care if it's only like 4 degrese warmer, I'm dressing a lot lighter. :smile:

fusionspill
04-06-2009, 09:38 AM
I guess the media didnt get the memo including The Weather Channel. I just drove by and nothing but news trucks and crew setup with cameras ready.

SoxFan78
04-06-2009, 09:54 AM
I guess the media didnt get the memo including The Weather Channel. I just drove by and nothing but news trucks and crew setup with cameras ready.

I saw their report on the web, they are at the there reporting about how the game is cancelled. Big news day!

thomas35forever
04-06-2009, 10:18 AM
I hate seeing all the Cubs fans' statuses on Facebook glorifying Opening Day. Why did you have to ruin it for us, snow?:whiner:

esbrechtel
04-06-2009, 10:20 AM
I feel like a 5 year old on Christmas where my parents tell me, "well today is technically christmas and some people get to open their presents now, but you have to wait a day...."

sox102
04-06-2009, 10:27 AM
I hate seeing all the Cubs fans' statuses on Facebook glorifying Opening Day. Why did you have to ruin it for us, snow?:whiner:

Why? So we are delayed one day. It's still Opening Day, just not for the Sox.

esbrechtel
04-06-2009, 10:28 AM
Why? So we are delayed one day. It's still Opening Day, just not for the Sox.

and that just adds to my reasoning for being sad!

DoItForDanPasqua
04-06-2009, 10:49 AM
Damn it! It's not snowing and there is no more snow in the forecast. They could have played: the Sodfather said the field can handle a couple of inches.

WhiteSox1989
04-06-2009, 11:06 AM
They probably could have played today. Just sayin'..

EuroSox35
04-06-2009, 11:42 AM
Sunny and dry in my neck of the woods. I've been to April games much colder (and right now outside, it doesn't feel nearly as cold as the temps say). I have to think that calling it on a Sunday night would put some people in a weird spot with work who had this Monday planned off for work (for people who require other people to adjust when getting days off, then it'd be tough to just show up and say 'oh nvm, I'm taking tomorrow instead)

Is Obama supposed to be back by tomorrow? If ends up throwing the first pitch, I would bet that played some factor in this

russ99
04-06-2009, 12:06 PM
An update on Tuesday's weather forecast.... Jim Ramsey just said there will be clouds in the morning, but the sun will come out in the afternoon! The high will be around 40, but the winds are only going to blow 10-15mph out of the north, rather than 25-35mph like they're supposed to tomorrow! It's looking like the Sox made the right decision.

Wow this really sucks. The Sox really dropped the ball. They should have kept their initial plan of calling it or not on Monday morning.

I'm a bit annoyed being at home on an off day when I could be at the ballpark...

kevingrt
04-06-2009, 12:07 PM
They probably could have played today. Just sayin'..

Very true. Oh well. What are you going to do? Besides go to tomorrows game.

russ99
04-06-2009, 12:08 PM

Some of us can't do that, hence the irritation.

SoxFan78
04-06-2009, 12:09 PM
Wow this really sucks. The Sox really dropped the ball. They should have kept their initial plan of calling it or not on Monday morning.

I'm a bit annoyed being at home on an off day when I could be at the ballpark...

The sox did the right thing calling it early. If they would have called the game this morning, then lots of people would have been either

A. Trying to scramble into work and take their day off tomorrow

B. Take their scheduled day off today, and miss the Tuesday game

russ99
04-06-2009, 12:11 PM
The sox did the right thing calling it early. If they would have called the game this morning, then lots of people would have been either

A. Trying to scramble into work and take their day off tomorrow

B. Take their scheduled day off today, and miss the Tuesday game

Well, I'm at "B' either way. Not sure if your job allows you to take an extra day or shift vacation to another day on a whim, but my job requires I take vacation days months in advance. But I guess it's my fault for breaking my longstanding rule about going to opening day. Too many miserable days like this one when I was a kid.

I wonder if MLB pressured them in any way to call it earlier. I don't understand the reversal of the initial plan to decide on Monday. The Sox usually try to get games in under these circumstances.

But it should work out anyway, I'm going at the end of the month when the temperature should be nowhere near 30. :D:

Jollyroger2
04-06-2009, 12:17 PM
Damn it! It's not snowing and there is no more snow in the forecast. They could have played: the Sodfather said the field can handle a couple of inches.

That's why yesterday I had said I was suprised to see/hear the game had been called, just because of a forecast...in Chicago of all places.

HawkDJ
04-06-2009, 12:54 PM
Well I don't have a ticket, and I am sitting here in 70 degree weather, but I don't have a problem with what the Sox did. The weather tomorrow is supposed to be at least 5 degrees warmer.

WhiteSox1989
04-06-2009, 12:57 PM

I actually can not go Tuesday because I have a meeting at work, and class that night. But I am going Wednesday night instead! I'm still just as excited. So I guess it's okay!:bandance:

HawkDJ
04-06-2009, 01:01 PM
Is Obama supposed to be back by tomorrow? If ends up throwing the first pitch, I would bet that played some factor in this

Actually yes he will be back tomorrow. I doubt he's throwing out the first pitch though.