PDA

View Full Version : Sox 25 man roster set

thedudeabides
03-30-2009, 02:24 PM
MacDougal, Miller, Lillibrige in. Marquez sent down.

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/white-sox-spring-training/

whitesox901
03-30-2009, 02:27 PM
IMO, this seems like its the earliest its been set, not that I mind

Foulke You
03-30-2009, 02:39 PM
*gulp* MacDougal (Foulke You reaches for Maalox bottle...)

thedudeabides
03-30-2009, 02:44 PM
Also, Jayson Nix was placed on the disabled list, retroactive to March 17.

LoveYourSuit
03-30-2009, 03:01 PM
MacDougal receives a roster sport all because of the money owed to him.

ChiSoxFan81
03-30-2009, 03:07 PM

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/white-sox-spring-training/

:cuss:

Boondock Saint
03-30-2009, 03:14 PM

:chunks

Oh God, please be joking. It can't be a good sign if there isn't a guy on the team that Ozzie or KW sees as being a better contributor than MacDougal.

soltrain21
03-30-2009, 03:15 PM

Or he pitched pretty well in spring training. If money were the case, wouldn't he have been around last year?

NLaloosh
03-30-2009, 03:18 PM
I think the best choices were made from the camp. I have no argument with anyone that was selected over those that were waived or sent down.

MacDougal is a better pitcher than Russell or Wassermann right now. It's not a big deal anyway. He probably wouldn't pitch past the 6th inning and the Sox will continually be trying to trade him anyway.

If you dislike him that much you should root for him to pitch well so that the Sox can move him to another team.

ChiSoxFan81
03-30-2009, 03:21 PM
I think the best choices were made from the camp. I have no argument with anyone that was selected over those that were waived or sent down.

MacDougal is a better pitcher than Russell or Wassermann right now. It's not a big deal anyway. He probably wouldn't pitch past the 6th inning and the Sox will continually be trying to trade him anyway.

If you dislike him that much you should root for him to pitch well so that the Sox can move him to another team.

Wait, what? If he pitched well, not only should the Sox keep him, but I might start to forget his past performances, and even might have to rename my ulcer. But seriously, I never wanted to see his face again.

thomas35forever
03-30-2009, 03:33 PM
Eh...the MacDougal move doesn't surprise me. I saw an article about him in the paper today and it said he'd been pretty productive this spring, but then again, that could've been against minor leaguers. Don't say I'm confident in him because he's done nothing to help his cause since we acquired him back in '06.

delben91
03-30-2009, 03:43 PM
I don't really have any objections to this, as long as the Sox have a quick hook with MacDougal if he reverts to his recent ways.

Personally I think Marquez will be a solid back-of-the-rotation starter and would've like to see him adjust to the big leagues in the bullpen, but imagine he'll be the first pitcher called up if there's a need.

downstater
03-30-2009, 03:48 PM
I haven't posted on here in a few years, but this brought me back. McDougal is terrible. I can't believe that we are going to have to listen to Hawk tell us how good of stuff he has as the seventh run of the inning crosses the plate with one out.

Lip Man 1
03-30-2009, 04:12 PM
I don't know if this is completely accurate. The Sun-Times blog says the Sox still have 27 players in camp so this may not be the opening day roster.

Lip

sox1970
03-30-2009, 04:23 PM
I don't know if this is completely accurate. The Sun-Times blog says the Sox still have 27 players in camp so this may not be the opening day roster.

Lip

Owens and Lucy aren't making the team. Unless they make a trade, the 25 are set.

Lip Man 1
03-30-2009, 06:07 PM
After today's performance by both Colon and Contreras they may be re-thinking this....seriously the kids aren't cutting it and the two guys who they hoped could anchor the back end of the rotation aren't doing well either.

We'll see how it plays out but to me, suddenly all the 'optimism' of Colon and Contreras making it back appears iffy right now.

Lip

MtGrnwdSoxFan
03-30-2009, 06:09 PM
If I see MacDougal in a game where the lead/defecit is smaller than 9, I will go to U.S. Cellular Field and smack Ozzie in the face just for living.

delben91
03-30-2009, 06:11 PM
After today's performance by both Colon and Contreras they may be re-thinking this....seriously the kids aren't cutting it and the two guys who they hoped could anchor the back end of the rotation aren't doing well either.

We'll see how it plays out but to me, suddenly all the 'optimism' of Colon and Contreras making it back appears iffy right now.

Lip

Richard had one bad outing this spring but otherwise was solid.

soxinem1
03-30-2009, 06:25 PM
Richard had one bad outing this spring but otherwise was solid.

Not to draw straws, but his last two were pretty bad, one against a team that had tons of fans there. He'll need to perform in front of large crowds. If he lets them get into the game like the late innings of his start last year against NYY, he will have problems.

But I am a little concerned with Bart and Contreras. I wonder if they are being pushed a little too much and maybe need a little extended ST.

thedudeabides
03-30-2009, 07:28 PM
Not to draw straws, but his last two were pretty bad, one against a team that had tons of fans there. He'll need to perform in front of large crowds. If he lets them get into the game like the late innings of his start last year against NYY, he will have problems.

But I am a little concerned with Bart and Contreras. I wonder if they are being pushed a little too much and maybe need a little extended ST.

I'm not all that concerned yet. Keep in mind they are a couple weeks behind the hitters right now.

35th and Shields
03-30-2009, 08:00 PM
I'm not all that concerned yet. Keep in mind they are a couple weeks behind the hitters right now.

Yeah I'm not concerned either but if they're not ready they shouldn't break with the team. I'd much rather have them healthy the last month of the season then the first.

TommyJohn
03-30-2009, 08:10 PM
MacDougal?

NNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
:angry::angry::angry:

soxfan2504
03-30-2009, 08:10 PM
Eh...the MacDougal move doesn't surprise me. I saw an article about him in the paper today and it said he'd been pretty productive this spring, but then again, that could've been against minor leaguers. Don't say I'm confident in him because he's done nothing to help his cause since we acquired him back in '06.

That's not what I'd call a 1.80 ERA for us in August and September '06. The rest of the team blew it in those months, but it wasn't his fault.
http://www.baseball-reference.com/m/macdomi01.shtml

If he could ever get his control together and stay healthy for a full season, he'd be damn good. But he's been too inconsistent and is now 32. It's probably not gonna happen.

sunofgold
03-30-2009, 08:36 PM
I really thought Marquez was going to break camp with the White Sox. What happened with Randy Williams? Maybe I missed something.

delben91
03-30-2009, 08:54 PM
I really thought Marquez was going to break camp with the White Sox. What happened with Randy Williams? Maybe I missed something.

With Colon and Contreras filling the back two slots of the rotation, the Sox put Richard in the pen as the 2nd lefty. That made Williams superfluous. Now if one of those two ends up needing DL time and Richard moves into the rotation then maybe we'll see Williams again.

Chicken Dinner
03-30-2009, 10:05 PM
IMO, this seems like its the earliest its been set, not that I mind

It has been one of the longest spring trainings in history though.

LoveYourSuit
03-30-2009, 10:58 PM
Or he pitched pretty well in spring training. If money were the case, wouldn't he have been around last year?

He is scheduled to make $3 million this year w/ his buy out for next season.

The Sox are in no territory to just piss away another season out of this guy without him giving them some ML innings.

It's a numbers game and this move makes all the sense in the world financialy.

thomas35forever
03-30-2009, 11:04 PM
That's not what I'd call a 1.80 ERA for us in August and September '06. The rest of the team blew it in those months, but it wasn't his fault.
http://www.baseball-reference.com/m/macdomi01.shtml

If he could ever get his control together and stay healthy for a full season, he'd be damn good. But he's been too inconsistent and is now 32. It's probably not gonna happen.
I think you misunderstood me. I meant to say he was good for those two months, but has been crap ever since.

cards press box
03-30-2009, 11:19 PM
MacDougal?

NNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
:angry::angry::angry:

Perhaps the Sox are trying to build his trade value so they can deal him for a starter.

Lip

At this point, Colon and Contreras have had a little less than 3 weeks of spring training. It is hard to know what exactly they have left in the tank. As discussed above, perhaps the Sox are showcasing MacDougal for a possible trade to fill a hole in the starting rotation if Colon and/or Contreras falter.

As for remaining free agents, Pedro Martinez, Mark Mulder and Orlando Hernandez are still available. Martinez probably has the most upside but would he take a contract from the Sox that would be far less than his previous deal with the Mets?

sunofgold
03-31-2009, 01:19 AM
Martinez, Hernandez, and Mulder.

I don't know. We already are working with 2 starters coming up injuries. Think that the White Sox will try Richard, Poreda, and Marquez before trading or acquiring another starter.

I really don't know what trade value MacDougal would have. Maybe a team with a decimated bullpen would want him. Don't think that we could get a starter for him. Not a decent one , at least. hahaha!

Probably best just to hold onto and see if he can rebound. He does have good stuff. Just frustrating that he lost his control.

Chez
03-31-2009, 08:53 AM

I don't believe $ was a major factor. The Sox are going to owe MacDougal the money whether he's pitching at the Cell, Birmingham, Winston-Salem or Joliet. I think accountants call it a "sunk cost." He had a decent spring and, unfortunately, Marquez flamed out towards the end. The Sox are probably thinking that they would rather have MacDougal rusting away in the back of the bullpen (do they really need to carry 12 pitchers in April?) than a legitimate prospect who would benefit from more regular work in the minors.

Mohoney
04-01-2009, 06:11 AM
MacDougal is a better pitcher than Russell or Wassermann right now.

He certainly is. We're not in a position where we can allow MacDougal's past failures to overshadow this simple fact.

slavko
04-01-2009, 03:02 PM

Don't confuse them with logic. Any damn fool can see he's got scary good stuff but can't pitch consistently. And I'm his biggest backer. I've about given up on the theory that he's going to be a stud somewhere, someday. But for now, I'd try this: He's only in the game a short time anyway, so he shouldn't need more than two pitches. Fastball with great movement, slider. No curve (which he can't control), no change. Might help him mentally, can't hurt.