PDA

View Full Version : The Cubs Did What????

kevingrt
03-30-2009, 12:36 PM
I was listening to Waddle & Silvy today (3/30) with Bardo filling in for Waddle and they reported that the Cubs are going to leave Kerry Wood's locker empty in respect for what he did for the Cubs. What did he do? Have a great 20 striekout game. Lead them to one NLCS and have a nice season as a closer. WHAT? The Cubs are kidding right?

Taliesinrk
03-30-2009, 12:40 PM
I was listening to Waddle & Silvy today (3/30) with Bardo filling in for Waddle and they reported that the Cubs are going to leave Kerry Wood's locker empty in respect for what he did for the Cubs. What did he do? Have a great 20 striekout game. Lead them to one NLCS and have a nice season as a closer. WHAT? The Cubs are kidding right?

hahahahaha - that's all i can do

oeo
03-30-2009, 12:41 PM

Is this confirmed? If so, wow...they never cease to amaze.

CWSpalehoseCWS
03-30-2009, 12:45 PM
Considering they haven't won in 100 years, I guess they're stating to get bored.

VenturaFan23
03-30-2009, 12:48 PM
I heard this on the way to work this morning with Levine reporting it and I just couldn't believe it.

doublem23
03-30-2009, 12:59 PM
They'll probably charge $20 so Cub fans can come to the Official Kerry Wood Shrine.

chunk
03-30-2009, 01:01 PM
That's a nice sentiment but a complete turnaround from how they handled him in FA negotiations.

Too bad we didn't do something like that with Frank.

Red Barchetta
03-30-2009, 01:05 PM
For what it's worth, I always liked Kerry Wood. I think he was a stand-up guy and appeared to be embarrassed whenever he had to discuss another injury, etc. that was preventing him from playing. Unlike Prior who IMO acted like a complete ass with the fans and media.

Perhaps they decided to make his locker a shrine in honor of him being the player who took a bat to Sosa's boom box after Sosa blew off the team the last game of 2004. :cool:

Woofer
03-30-2009, 01:06 PM
Wow. Just wow. I think that maybe we should have done more for Jon Garland when he left then.
Kerry Wood with the Cubs: 10 seasons, 77 wins 61 losses, 1407 strikeouts, one season he won 14 games. Locker left empty, lots and lots of praise.
Jon Garland with the White Sox: 8 seasons, 92 wins 81 losses, 2 time 18 game winner. No locker left empty, little praise for a job well done.

cws05champ
03-30-2009, 01:08 PM
71 Career wins as a starter gets you a Shrine at Wrigley? Are they going to proudly display the bat he used to bash Sosa's boom box as well?

kittle42
03-30-2009, 01:32 PM
Typical Cubs. Man, this organization is such a riot.

hi im skot
03-30-2009, 01:35 PM
This sounds like a joke...

forrestg
03-30-2009, 01:48 PM
As for me I totally understand it. You see keeping woods locker empty is like losing a very important person in your family, a "favorite son". This is the M.O. of most dysfunctional families

soxinem1
03-30-2009, 01:48 PM
I think they are also going to retire his number with Fergie and Maddux in the same ceremony.

But to be fair, he does hold several notable team records: Most money earned per start, win, loss, missed start, similated innings, simulated appearances, and time on the DL.

Congrats Kerry!

Smokey Burg
03-30-2009, 01:51 PM
You guys are a tough crowd. Take a look at some of his numbers and be truly amazed! Since entering MLB he has lead the majors in (simulated) inings pitched, lead the majors in (simulated) strike outs, and some of his former coaches say that he could have lead the majors in (simulated) fielding percentage for pitchers, and possibly several (simulated) gold gloves. A (simulated) HOFer for sure!

Mendoza Line
03-30-2009, 01:54 PM
71 Career wins as a starter gets you a Shrine at Wrigley? Are they going to proudly display the bat he used to bash Sosa's boom box as well?

We're not taking into account simulated game victories! That would add at least 100 wins!

In all seriousness, I wonder if a halfway decent pitching coach could have helped him adjust his mechanics. Had he avoided the countless injuries he's suffered over the years, he might have had a good shot to win 20 games. As it is, he still made a disgusting amount of money to sit around and heal, so I doubt that really bothers him.

ChiSoxFan81
03-30-2009, 01:55 PM
I wonder if the blueprint for U.S. Cellular Field is also in Wood's locker.

SoxGirl4Life
03-30-2009, 02:03 PM
Is this confirmed? If so, wow...they never cease to amaze.

I heard it too... and quickly laughed it off and forgot about it.... There's nothing to say...lol

PaleHoser
03-30-2009, 02:37 PM
Prelude to "Kerry Wood Day" and retirement of his number. The flag will hang in the trainer's room.

Jimmy Piersall
03-30-2009, 03:17 PM
Shouldn't they have a rally for him to ?

Mendoza Line
03-30-2009, 03:27 PM
Didn't they also have a "KW" flag in addition to their annoying "W" flag? How silly can you get?

voodoochile
03-30-2009, 03:31 PM
They'll probably charge $20 so Cub fans can come to the Official Kerry Wood Shrine.

Are they going to post his simulated game record?

spawn
03-30-2009, 03:39 PM
Are they going to post his simulated game record?
Probably. Those numbers will improve his HOF credentials.

RadioheadRocks
03-30-2009, 03:56 PM

Maybe Geraldo Rivera can do a little song and dance in front of it, like he did with Al Capone's empty vault. :D:

LoveYourSuit
03-30-2009, 04:11 PM
With a locker room already lacking in space, every bit of space is valueable. What a waste.

Madscout
03-30-2009, 04:20 PM
With a locker room already lacking in space, every bit of space is valueable. What a waste.
As if everything in that whole facility isn't a complete and utter waste.

OmarLittle
03-30-2009, 04:25 PM
We're not taking into account simulated game victories! That would add at least 100 wins!

In all seriousness, I wonder if a halfway decent pitching coach could have helped him adjust his mechanics. Had he avoided the countless injuries he's suffered over the years, he might have had a good shot to win 20 games. As it is, he still made a disgusting amount of money to sit around and heal, so I doubt that really bothers him.

A halfway decent pitching coach wouldn't have helped him survive Dusty Baker.

thomas35forever
03-30-2009, 04:36 PM
That's a joke. This guy is nothing close to a future HOFer and they're leaving his locker empty? Just watch. In about 20 years, he'll assume Santo's role in the radio booth and continually bitch about why he's not in the Hall of Fame.

Thome_Fan
03-30-2009, 04:38 PM
Didn't they also have a "KW" flag in addition to their annoying "W" flag? How silly can you get?

They made a Kenny Williams flag? Well, maybe they are starting to wise up!
:redneck

Soxman219
03-30-2009, 04:49 PM
I just can't stop laughing at the Cubs organization. They never cease to amaze me.

anewman35
03-30-2009, 04:53 PM
I hate the Cubs as much as anybody, but, come on, this thread is very stupid. Nobody is trying to claim he's an all-time great or anything. They're not retiring his number, or making a statue of him, or anything stupid like that, they're just not assigning his locker right now because they respect his service to the organization (and by that, I don't just mean on the field). What's wrong with that? If the Sox had done the same thing for Joe Crede or something, the same posters here would be saying what a classy organization we were.

spawn
03-30-2009, 04:57 PM
I hate the Cubs as much as anybody, but, come on, this thread is very stupid. Nobody is trying to claim he's an all-time great or anything. They're not retiring his number, or making a statue of him, or anything stupid like that, they're just not assigning his locker right now because they respect his service to the organization (and by that, I don't just mean on the field). What's wrong with that? If the Sox had done the same thing for Joe Crede or something, the same posters here would be saying what a classy organization we were.
And what exactly did Wood accomplish with the Cubs that would justify this "honor"?

Frontman
03-30-2009, 05:06 PM
You do this sort of gesture for a teammate who passes away, like Thurmon Munson. Not a guy you couldn't come to terms with in FA.

And that would go for Frank Thomas too. A locker is a locker; no more, no less. In Munson's case, I can see because he was a very strong leader on their team and was taken away in a tragic accident.

Retire his number when he retires; THAT would be a sign of respect for what the player did for you. Do NOT make a shrine in the lockerroom for him.

oeo
03-30-2009, 05:15 PM
You do this sort of gesture for a teammate who passes away, like Thurmon Munson. Not a guy you couldn't come to terms with in FA.

Exactly what I was thinking, which makes the whole thing kind of creepy. I wonder how the Cubs players feel about this.

LITTLE NELL
03-30-2009, 05:18 PM
They did the same thing for Prior, did'nt they?

Frontman
03-30-2009, 05:32 PM
They did the same thing for Prior, did'nt they?

Actually, Prior's locker was left open for a few seasons while he was in the towel drill league.

doublem23
03-30-2009, 05:39 PM
I was always under the impression that the locker room at Wrigley is a bit antiquated. I didn't know they had locker room to spare.

SOXPHILE
03-30-2009, 05:43 PM
Very disrespectful, all of you. I don't know if any of you knew or heard about this, but this one time, in April of 1998, he struck out 20 guys in one game.

He not only will get into the HOF, he will have an entire wing dedicated to him and his 77 career wins.

guillensdisciple
03-30-2009, 05:50 PM
Very disrespectful, all of you. I don't know if any of you knew or heard about this, but this one time, in April of 1998, he struck out 20 guys in one game.

He not only will get into the HOF, he will have an entire wing dedicated to him and his 77 career wins.

I agree- he is a lock to make it!

Frontman
03-30-2009, 06:58 PM
Exactly what I was thinking, which makes the whole thing kind of creepy. I wonder how the Cubs players feel about this.

It's this type of group-think that the North side is plagued with. It's all about the past and history, blah, blah, blah. Black Cats, goats, guys wearing a headset, the smashing of the boom box, "We'll go all the way," "This is our year," the ivy, the history of the ballpark, "Why, back in my day, I'd be one of the few in the bleachers with a bugle...." the whole mess of it. It just smacks of why I get frustrated with them being so beloved. THEY'RE LOVED BECAUSE THEY DON'T GET IT DONE!!!

Of course it will effect the players. When every Erin Andrews/Bruce LeVine-Line reporter shoves a mike or a digital recorder under their nose and ask them about the empty locker; they'll have to deal with it.

Personally, if I was one of the 25 men on the roster; I would make a point of throwing my stuff into that locker and pulling the name-tag/plaque/whatever down. For once I would love to see one player in that uniform stand up to that garbage and say, "I don't give a BLEEEP about that guy or last season or the rest. I have to play to win TODAY, and the next day."

Let Zambrano go off on it just once, man. That would be a cool listen.

WhiteSox5187
03-30-2009, 07:36 PM
You guys are a tough crowd. Take a look at some of his numbers and be truly amazed! Since entering MLB he has lead the majors in (simulated) inings pitched, lead the majors in (simulated) strike outs, and some of his former coaches say that he could have lead the majors in (simulated) fielding percentage for pitchers, and possibly several (simulated) gold gloves. A (simulated) HOFer for sure!
Prior has him beat in every one of those categories.

TheCommander
03-30-2009, 07:38 PM
Maybe they think his locker was cursed,thus all of his injuries.

BleacherBandit
03-30-2009, 07:45 PM
Are they incasing it in glass, and leaving all of his possesions in it like the Yankees did with Thruman Munson? Or are they just not assigning it? It makes a difference.

anewman35
03-30-2009, 08:11 PM
Are they incasing it in glass, and leaving all of his possesions in it like the Yankees did with Thruman Munson? Or are they just not assigning it? It makes a difference.

They're just not assigning it. I can't see what the big deal is at all - they obviously have to have more lockers than players (since they deal with September call-ups), so they're just leaving a different one empty. Despite all the injuries, he was on the team for a decade, so I see nothing wrong with a little respect.

I recall a thread here a few weeks ago where people were surprised that numbers like 24 and 5 were reassigned by the Sox so quickly. I can't see how this is in any way different. It's just a little symbol towards a guy who (for all we know) was probably liked and respected in the clubhouse, no more than that. I bet this sort of thing has always happened in baseball, it's just that we didn't always have blogs and sports radio to report it. Like I said, I hate the Cubs as much as anybody, but it's the posters here who look like jerks, not the Cubs.

RadioheadRocks
03-30-2009, 09:14 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the point of this thread is to show yet ANOTHER "feel-good media happening" concocted by the propaganda/hype department of the "Cute 'n Cuddlies", and of course the media swallowed it all... hook, line and sinker.

MarySwiss
03-30-2009, 09:21 PM

Well, you're entitled to your opinion, but I doubt that's true. And even if it were, Joe Crede was an integral part of a team that won the World Series--as opposed to a player who spent a large amount of time on the IR--so you're arguing apples and oranges.

Frontman
03-30-2009, 10:06 PM
Well, you're entitled to your opinion, but I doubt that's true. And even if it were, Joe Crede was an integral part of a team that won the World Series--as opposed to a player who spent a large amount of time on the IR--so you're arguing apples and oranges.

Even if they did this for Joe or Frank or *shudder* Aaron Rowand; I'd be annoyed.

Wood didn't die. He didn't get a new deal from the Cubs; pure and simple.

anewman35
03-30-2009, 10:19 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the point of this thread is to show yet ANOTHER "feel-good media happening" concocted by the propaganda/hype department of the "Cute 'n Cuddlies", and of course the media swallowed it all... hook, line and sinker.

The clubhouse manager made a minor decision. It got a minor mention in the papers. Then it got mentioned on a radio show. That's it. That happens all the time with all sorts of stories. It's no different than that "race" we had in our camp. It's a slow news day Spring Training story, and it has nothing to do with feel good Cubbie hype or anything. It's fine to dislike the Cubs, but, ****, stop all acting like two-year-old's about it.

anewman35
03-30-2009, 10:24 PM
Even if they did this for Joe or Frank or *shudder* Aaron Rowand; I'd be annoyed.

Wood didn't die. He didn't get a new deal from the Cubs; pure and simple.

The Sox haven't reissued #35, which to me is a far greater honor than this. Does that bother you?

And, right, Wood didn't die. And, so, they aren't doing any of the things they would do if he had died (I.e. A patch or a flag or a retire number or a statue or a memorial or anything). They're just leaving his old locker (as opposed to another locker) empty. All the Cubs hatred is blinding people to he fact that there is no story here.

Frontman
03-30-2009, 10:25 PM
The clubhouse manager made a minor decision. It got a minor mention in the papers. Then it got mentioned on a radio show. That's it. That happens all the time with all sorts of stories. It's no different than that "race" we had in our camp. It's a slow news day Spring Training story, and it has nothing to do with feel good Cubbie hype or anything. It's fine to dislike the Cubs, but, ****, stop all acting like two-year-old's about it.

I don't even know where to begin with this one.

So, because you comment how we should react to a news story; that's being mature and an adult.

Yet, isn't that exactly how the people you're complaining about in this thread are doing pretty much the same thing; commenting on how a sports team should react?

Pot, meet kettle.

Frontman
03-30-2009, 10:26 PM
The Sox haven't reissued #35, which to me is a far greater honor than this. Does that bother you?

And, right, Wood didn't die. And, so, they aren't doing any of the things they would do if he had died (I.e. A patch or a flag or a retire number or a statue or a memorial or anything). They're just leaving his old locker (as opposed to another locker) empty. All the Cubs hatred is blinding people to he fact that there is no story here.

Not reissuing a number is done across baseball all the time for future Hall of Fame players. Leaving a locker open to honor a player?

Not so much.

anewman35
03-30-2009, 10:50 PM
I don't even know where to begin with this one.

So, because you comment how we should react to a news story; that's being mature and an adult.

Yet, isn't that exactly how the people you're complaining about in this thread are doing pretty much the same thing; commenting on how a sports team should react?

Pot, meet kettle.

Hey, you're welcome to your opinion. My opinion is that threads like this (along with "nicknames" like "scrubs") almost make be embarassed to be a Sox fan. I like to think we're better than Cubs fans, but this kind of thread reminds me we aren't.

oeo
03-30-2009, 10:50 PM
I recall a thread here a few weeks ago where people were surprised that numbers like 24 and 5 were reassigned by the Sox so quickly. I can't see how this is in any way different.

You can't see how it's different? One is fans, the other is a major league franchise. We're not talking about what Joe Cub Fan thought was a good idea, we're talking about how lame and utterly stupid this is for a big league club to actually do it.

RadioheadRocks
03-30-2009, 10:59 PM
Hey, you're welcome to your opinion. My opinion is that threads like this (along with "nicknames" like "scrubs") almost make be embarassed to be a Sox fan. I like to think we're better than Cubs fans, but this kind of thread reminds me we aren't.

Like I said in another thread, people are going to believe whatever they want to believe, so any beliefs people may draw from "threads like these" is no skin off of my nose.

anewman35
03-30-2009, 11:00 PM
You can't see how it's different? One is fans, the other is a major league franchise. We're not talking about what Joe Cub Fan thought was a good idea, we're talking about how lame and utterly stupid this is for a big league club to actually do it.

Why is it lame or stupid? There are going to be empty lockers in the clubhouse. The clubhouse guy just decided to make one of them the one of a guy who was there ten years and for might have been a good guy to have around. So? It's not as if the Cubs issued a press release or the Trib did a front page story. Hasn't anyone ever worked someplace where people kept momentos or somehow commerated somebody who left?

oeo
03-30-2009, 11:13 PM
Why is it lame or stupid? There are going to be empty lockers in the clubhouse. The clubhouse guy just decided to make one of them the one of a guy who was there ten years and for might have been a good guy to have around. So? It's not as if the Cubs issued a press release or the Trib did a front page story. Hasn't anyone ever worked someplace where people kept momentos or somehow commerated somebody who left?

To each their own, I think it's a weird way to "honor" him. Kerry Wood is never going to be in the Wrigley Field home locker room. Give him a plaque or something if he's really been that important to the organization. Leaving his locker open is just dumb, IMO. It does nothing for Kerry Wood. And what really makes it stupid, is they let him walk in free agency. It's not like he retired or something...if he was that important, he was willing to take a 1-year deal at a discount to stay there.

anewman35
03-30-2009, 11:27 PM
To each their own, I think it's a weird way to "honor" him. Kerry Wood is never going to be in the Wrigley Field home locker room. Give him a plaque or something if he's really been that important to the organization. Leaving his locker open is just dumb, IMO. It does nothing for Kerry Wood. And what really makes it stupid, is they let him walk in free agency. It's not like he retired or something...if he was that important, he was willing to take a 1-year deal at a discount to stay there.

It's not like there's any evidence this was some big thought out gesture from Hendry or Pinella or anything. I get the impression this is just something the clubhouse manager did on his own. If he chooses to make a small gesture to a guy he may have known for 10 years, why does that offend so many people?

Nellie_Fox
03-31-2009, 01:12 AM
This thread has run its course.