PDA

View Full Version : Gregg named Cubs closer.

JermaineDye05
03-29-2009, 04:50 PM
Link (http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2009/03/countdown-begins-on-cubs-closer-decision.html)

How long into the season until Marmol is closing for the Cubs? I can't see the Cubs winning too many close games with Gregg as their closer.

FedEx227
03-29-2009, 04:58 PM
Gregg was quite solid last year for the Marlins.

This is a very smart move. This gives you the opportunity to use Marmol more often in tighter, arguably more important situations.

dwalteroo
03-29-2009, 05:00 PM
Really? I respectfully disagree. Gregg has the stuff and has been lights out all spring.

JermaineDye05
03-29-2009, 05:07 PM
Gregg blew 9 games last year. His career ERA is 4. I just see this as a significant downgrade from last year.

getonbckthr
03-29-2009, 05:17 PM
I thought I heard Gregg pitched with a torn knee last year.

DrCrawdad
03-29-2009, 05:22 PM

This is a very smart move. This gives you the opportunity to use Marmol more often in tighter, arguably more important situations.

Wasn't Gregg removed as the mighty Marlins closer after blowing 9 saves?

getonbckthr
03-29-2009, 05:38 PM
Wasn't Gregg removed as the mighty Marlins closer after blowing 9 saves?
Ya because he was hurt.

Eddo144
03-29-2009, 05:48 PM
Meh. The way Piniella uses the bullpen is more important than the pitcher with the "closer" title. If anything, this means he'll be using Marmol in a tie game or with a one-run lead in the eighth, which is more important than who arbitrarily gets saves.

If Ozzie named Thornton the closer, but continued to use Jenks in the most crucial situations, would that somehow hurt the Sox? I think not.

thomas35forever
03-29-2009, 05:58 PM
If he's been impressive this spring, I guess you can't argue with the decision. However, I can easily see this move backfiring. I've been campaigning for Marmol to be the Cubs' closer for two offseasons now. He's easily the best pitcher in that bullpen.

WhiteSox5187
03-29-2009, 06:33 PM
I don't think that Marmol has the mental make up to be a closer, the few times they tried to use him last year he couldn't get the job done and he also looked like a nervous wreck in the WBC against the Netherlands. I never thought much of Gregg but that could be because he was away in Florida.

SoxSpeed22
03-29-2009, 06:52 PM
Gregg was pretty solid two years ago as the Marlins closer, last year he was hurt and lost the closer role. I also don't think that Marmol has it in him to be a closer, but he should do well as a set-up man. I think that Gregg can do as well, if not better, than Wood did last year.

JB98
03-29-2009, 07:49 PM

I agree. It's the right move. Marmol is more of a strikeout pitcher. He's the type of guy who can come into a jam in the seventh or eighth inning and get the key strikeout to get out of trouble. Gregg is better off starting an inning.

Piniella will be blasted by the ignorant Chicago media and ignorant Cubbie faithful for this decision, but it's a wise move, IMO.

whitesox901
03-30-2009, 12:07 AM
I like the move

esbrechtel
03-30-2009, 09:25 AM
Marmol's quote seemed like he wasn't too happy about it....I can't find it but it was on Sportsnite last night...

russ99
03-30-2009, 11:26 AM
I don't think that Marmol has the mental make up to be a closer, the few times they tried to use him last year he couldn't get the job done and he also looked like a nervous wreck in the WBC against the Netherlands. I never thought much of Gregg but that could be because he was away in Florida.

Absoultely agree. Actually, I was hoping Marmol was closer, since he'd likely crack under pressure and thus lessen the Cubs chances for a sucessful season. :wink:

Smart move by Lou.

SOXPHILE
03-30-2009, 11:26 AM
If he's been impressive this spring, I guess you can't argue with the decision. However, I can easily see this move backfiring. I've been campaigning for Marmol to be the Cubs' closer for two offseasons now. He's easily the best pitcher in that bullpen.

You've been campaigning for Marmol to be the Cubs closer ? It's that important to you ?

thomas35forever
03-30-2009, 11:30 AM
You've been campaigning for Marmol to be the Cubs closer ? It's that important to you ?
No. I've just been saying he should close games for them. It ain't that important.

jdm2662
03-30-2009, 06:41 PM
Good, I drafted Gregg for my fantasy team... And, I suck big time at fantasy baseball, so I need all the help I can get.