PDA

View Full Version : Would White Sox ever consider moving Alexei around ( like Figgins in LAA)

sunofgold
03-28-2009, 12:43 AM
Alexei played multiple positions for Cuba. I realize that SS is his best position, but it also might be the best position for Beckham. Beckham really has no experience playing anywhere else but SS.

As I recall, Alexei look pretty good in CF. Thus, at some point (the point when Beckham is ready to jump to major league level), do you think that the White Sox would consider moving Alexei to CF?

Or even possibly move Alexei to 2B if Getz doesn't work out and they want to bring up Beckham.

Some guys just seem to find it easy to move around position. I think that Alexei is one of those guys. I also think that it could benefit the team.

Frater Perdurabo
03-28-2009, 07:14 AM
Alexei did not look very good in CF.

His best position is shortstop.

From all indications, Beckham's bat is good enough for third base.

Also, while Beckham is a good defensive shortstop, there are many indications that Alexei may be an excellent defensive shortstop.

All things being equal, I want my best defensive shortstop to play shortstop!

Eddo144
03-28-2009, 09:49 AM
All things being equal, I want my best defensive shortstop to play shortstop!
Unless you're the Yankees or Team USA! :tongue:

Seriously, though, you're right; shortstop is the most important defensive position, so you want your best defensive player there as much as possible, given the choice. Hopefully, Alexei is that guy, though I feel he was a touch overrated at second base.

Britt Burns
03-28-2009, 10:54 AM
Beckham and TCM will be fixtures at 2B and SS respectively. Period. No need to move them around.

hi im skot
03-28-2009, 11:28 AM
Nah, you can't constantly consider trading him for Konerko when they're both on the same team.

getonbckthr
03-28-2009, 12:05 PM
So if the Owens/Anderson/Wise team is hitting .156 and Getz is hitting .300 you guys wouldn't consider a move of Alexei to CF for the better of the team?

Frater Perdurabo
03-28-2009, 12:07 PM
So if the Owens/Anderson/Wise team is hitting .156 and Getz is hitting .300 you guys wouldn't consider a move of Alexei to CF for the better of the team?

I don't think moving Alexei to CF would help the team.

And BA is not going to hit .156.

And if Getz is hitting .300, Ozzie better have him leading off.

JB98
03-28-2009, 12:22 PM
]I don't think moving Alexei to CF would help the team[/B].

And BA is not going to hit .156.

And if Getz is hitting .300, Ozzie better have him leading off.

Not immediately. Once Beckham is ready for the big, it might help the team.

I've got the March 16 edition of The Sporting News in front of me right now. Here's an excerpt from Page 70, speaking about Ramirez:

"He never looked comfortable at second base with everybody bearing down on him," the A.L. scout said. "He'll be a lot better at shortstop. His athletic ability will show." However, the N.L. scout says Ramirez is still out of position. "I'd play him every day in center. For me, that's his best position."

There isn't agreement among baseball people on what Ramirez's best position is. I'm sure if the Sox put him in CF every day, it wouldn't take him long to master the position. If Getz and Fields are both playing well, we can't justify moving Beckham to 2B or 3B. And he's going to merit a spot soon. Moving Ramirez again is a potential solution, especially if our long national nightmare in CF continues. I don't think the possibility can be dismissed outright.

Frater Perdurabo
03-28-2009, 12:39 PM
Not immediately. Once Beckham is ready for the big, it might help the team.

I've got the March 16 edition of The Sporting News in front of me right now. Here's an excerpt from Page 70, speaking about Ramirez:

"He never looked comfortable at second base with everybody bearing down on him," the A.L. scout said. "He'll be a lot better at shortstop. His athletic ability will show." However, the N.L. scout says Ramirez is still out of position. "I'd play him every day in center. For me, that's his best position."

There isn't agreement among baseball people on what Ramirez's best position is. I'm sure if the Sox put him in CF every day, it wouldn't take him long to master the position. If Getz and Fields are both playing well, we can't justify moving Beckham to 2B or 3B. And he's going to merit a spot soon. Moving Ramirez again is a potential solution, especially if our long national nightmare in CF continues. I don't think the possibility can be dismissed outright.

Athletic ability alone does not make someone a great defensive center fielder. If it did, Aaron Rowand and Joe Borchard would be headed for the Hall of Fame. It takes instincts and years of experience. Alexei has played a lot more in the infield - especially at shortstop - than he has in center field. He therefore has developed his shortstop instincts much more extensively than his center field instincts.

If Fields and Getz both hit well in 2009, then all things being equal, we can afford to have a CF batting ninth primarily for his defense. If Fields and Getz are hitting well in 2009, we won't need Beckham for his bat.

Let's think about this for a second.

Would you seriously want to move Alexei from shortstop to center field in the middle of the season, and put a less talented defensive shortstop who also is a rookie, at shortstop, thereby weakening the two most important defensive positions up the middle of the field, when we already have an average defensive catcher, a below average defensive third baseman, a slow right fielder, and an average defensive left fielder?

Thome almost certainly will be gone in 2010. Therefore, that opens up DH for Fields, so Beckham can play third base. I would be much happier with our best defensive shortstop (Alexei) playing shortstop, our second best defensive shortstop (Beckham) playing third base (especially since he has a "corner inflederer's bat"), and our best defensive CF (BA now, maybe Jordan Danks by 2010 or 2011) playing CF.

When Paulie leaves, Fields or Viciedo can play first base. The other can DH. When Dye leaves, Quentin moves to RF, which opens LF for Viciedo, which opens up 1B/DH for Allen to share with Fields.

JB98
03-28-2009, 12:55 PM
Athletic ability alone does not make someone a great defensive center fielder. If it did, Aaron Rowand and Joe Borchard would be headed for the Hall of Fame. It takes instincts and years of experience. Alexei has played a lot more in the infield - especially at shortstop - than he has in center field. He therefore has developed his shortstop instincts much more extensively than his center field instincts.

If Fields and Getz both hit well in 2009, then all things being equal, we can afford to have a CF batting ninth primarily for his defense. If Fields and Getz are hitting well in 2009, we won't need Beckham for his bat.

Let's think about this for a second.

Would you seriously want to move Alexei from shortstop to center field in the middle of the season, and put a less talented defensive shortstop who also is a rookie, at shortstop, thereby weakening the two most important defensive positions up the middle of the field, when we already have an average defensive catcher, a below average defensive third baseman, a slow right fielder, and an average defensive left fielder?

Thome almost certainly will be gone in 2010. Therefore, that opens up DH for Fields, so Beckham can play third base. I would be much happier with our best defensive shortstop (Alexei) playing shortstop, our second best defensive shortstop (Beckham) playing third base (especially since he has a "corner inflederer's bat"), and our best defensive CF (BA now, maybe Jordan Danks by 2010 or 2011) playing CF.

When Paulie leaves, Fields or Viciedo can play first base. The other can DH. When Dye leaves, Quentin moves to RF, which opens LF for Viciedo, which opens up 1B/DH for Allen to share with Fields.

It's a fluid situation. We have to wait and see how things play out. My argument is you can't dismiss the possibility of moving Ramirez to CF outright.

Maybe Getz or Fields washes out, and that creates a hole for Beckham. Maybe somebody gets hurt. Will Fields improve his defense and take himself out of the DH discussion? Maybe Anderson finally becomes a serviceable player. Or maybe Anderson hits .230 again. Maybe Jordan Danks' development will be accelerated. Or maybe he washes out. Will the Sox be in contention this year? Or will they be an also-ran? There are way too many factors in play to speak authoritatively on what we should do. I'm glad that we finally have enough young players in the mix that we have some options here.

I just don't see how you can say unequivocally that it would be a bad move to switch Alexei to CF. At this point in time, I wouldn't do it. Not a chance. But to me, it's something that has to be in play if nobody steps up in CF, Getz and Fields play well AND Beckham demonstrates that he's ready for the big leagues. I want the best nine players in the lineup we can find.

If Craig Biggio can become a good CF in the middle of his career, then I think Alexei Ramirez can do it too.

Frater Perdurabo
03-28-2009, 01:09 PM
I agree that the situation is fluid.

I just do not like the option of downgrading the defense at two critical defensive positions, especially at midseason.

If on July 31 Fields and Getz are tearing up the majors, and Beckham is lighting the world on fire in Birmingham (harder place to hit than Charlotte), and BA is hitting around the Mendoza line, perhaps a better option would be time to deal one of the hot hitters and prospects for a legitimate veteran CF from a non-contender, or a team with a surplus of outfielders.

Also, consider this historical tidbit: Remember when Jerry Manuel tinkered with the team by moving Jose Valentin to CF to make room for Royce Clayton at SS?

champagne030
03-28-2009, 01:16 PM
If Craig Biggio can become a good CF in the middle of his career, then I think Alexei Ramirez can do it too.

I assume you mean 2B because Biggio was never a good CF. He was barely a step up from Mack O' Wack.

oeo
03-28-2009, 01:29 PM
If on July 31 Fields and Getz are tearing up the majors, and Beckham is lighting the world on fire in Birmingham (harder place to hit than Charlotte), and BA is hitting around the Mendoza line, perhaps a better option would be time to deal one of the hot hitters and prospects for a legitimate veteran CF from a non-contender, or a team with a surplus of outfielders.

How do we know Alexei could not become a legitimate centerfielder? We could have everything that we need right now. Trading for a veteran centerfielder, unless he has a contract that expires at the end of the year, would mean adding more payroll next year. I know we've got money coming off, but we still need to pay Danks, Quentin, Jenks, etc., plus that money would be better spent bringing in a veteran starting pitcher.

If we're winning with our crappy platoon in CF, then I guess we'll just have to hold Beckham back a little longer. However, if we're around .500 or below, Alexei in CF is something that we should not only explore, but use for the rest of the year. Don't move him there for a couple of weeks like we did with Fields in LF (that was pointless). Live through the growing pains, see how he develops, and then make the decision in the offseason of what direction the team should head.

As of right now, no reason to move anyone, because again, we might have all the guys we need already.

CWSpalehoseCWS
03-28-2009, 01:38 PM
I would be more concerned with what to do with Getz. If he ends up being really good, where do we move him? LF?

Frater Perdurabo
03-28-2009, 01:48 PM
How do we know Alexei could not become a legitimate centerfielder? We could have everything that we need right now. Trading for a veteran centerfielder, unless he has a contract that expires at the end of the year, would mean adding more payroll next year. I know we've got money coming off, but we still need to pay Danks, Quentin, Jenks, etc., plus that money would be better spent bringing in a veteran starting pitcher.

If we're winning with our crappy platoon in CF, then I guess we'll just have to hold Beckham back a little longer. However, if we're around .500 or below, Alexei in CF is something that we should not only explore, but use for the rest of the year. Don't move him there for a couple of weeks like we did with Fields in LF (that was pointless). Live through the growing pains, see how he develops, and then make the decision in the offseason of what direction the team should head.

As of right now, no reason to move anyone, because again, we might have all the guys we need already.

All of the successful moves of infielders to CF that others cite (and the only really successful move was of Robin Yount - as someone else mentioned Biggio ended up at 2B) were done during the offseason.

There's no need to do it right now, and it would be foolish to do it during the middle of a pennant race.

If we're under .500, 20 games back and mired in fourth or fifth place in mid-July, despite Beckham, Getz and Fields raking (and BA sucking), then I'd be willing to at least consider giving Alexei a shot in CF.

But if Fields and Getz are raking, chances are we'll be in the thick of things for the division title.

Even if those two aren't raking, I think we'll be in the hunt for the division title. No team looks to run away with this thing, and no team looks to have the ability to win more than 90 games.

If we're in the hunt for the division at the trade deadline, and CF remains a black hole, then the better plan would be to make a trade. I'd rather package assets for a proven CF at that point.

My point is that the odd combination of circumstances under which I'd entertain moving Alexei to CF to make room for Beckham at SS are, when all put together, quite remote.

Frater Perdurabo
03-28-2009, 01:49 PM
I would be more concerned with what to do with Getz. If he ends up being really good, where do we move him? LF?

He stays at 2B and Beckham goes to 3B and Fields goes to DH.

Frater Perdurabo
03-28-2009, 01:54 PM
Does anyone really think all three of these things will happen simultaneously in 2009:

1. Fields rakes with the bat and plays solid defense;

2. Getz rakes with the bat and plays solid defense;

3. The Sox get mired well below .500 and well out of the AL Central race?

It seems to me that, barring injuries to the pitching staff and/or core hitters, that #1 and #2 would help PREVENT #3 from happening.

HBaines03
03-28-2009, 01:55 PM
I really hope Getz, Ramirez & Fields all have success offensively and defensively this year and for years to come. If Beckham is as good as advertised, Viciedo is as good as his potential shows and Jo. Danks becomes a solid CF this makes for great team depth and gives us options for potential big deals strengthening our team and making us a top tier team. I love to see all of our guys achieve to the best of their abilities but I also understand that likely will push guys away via trades to better our ballclub.

Eddo144
03-28-2009, 02:00 PM
That depends on how good a defensive shortstop Alexei is, actually. If he's a top-five defensive shortstop, probably not. However, I don't see him being that. I see him being a very capable shortstop, slightly above-average, and if Beckham could be a capable shortstop and Alexei could be a capable centerfielder, then yes, I would move Alexei to center and bring up Beckham.

Frater Perdurabo
03-28-2009, 02:04 PM
That depends on how good a defensive shortstop Alexei is, actually. If he's a top-five defensive shortstop, probably not. However, I don't see him being that. I see him being a very capable shortstop, slightly above-average, and if Beckham could be a capable shortstop and Alexei could be a capable centerfielder, then yes, I would move Alexei to center and bring up Beckham.

Do you define "Top 5" as Top 5 in the AL or Top 5 in all of MLB?

I see him being Top 5 in the AL and Top 10 in MLB.

thedudeabides
03-28-2009, 03:01 PM

I believe Alexei spent more time in Centerfield in Cuba than any other position. It may take me some time to find the breakdown, but I'll see if I can find it today.

I have read scouting reports that believe CF is his best postition and that he could be a plus CF'er in MLB. I wouldn't be too quick to judge him on a handful of games that he played last year. They were his first games at this level, and I thought you could see a ton of potential there.

Eddo144
03-28-2009, 03:43 PM
Do you define "Top 5" as Top 5 in the AL or Top 5 in all of MLB?

I see him being Top 5 in the AL and Top 10 in MLB.
I hope he's top five in the AL; that would be great. I'm trying not to get too optimistic.

oeo
03-28-2009, 03:51 PM
Does anyone really think all three of these things will happen simultaneously in 2009:

It seems to me that, barring injuries to the pitching staff and/or core hitters, that #1 and #2 would help PREVENT #3 from happening.

I think merely sitting at .500, no matter our division standing, is enough to give it a try. Unless our platoon is doing a hell of a job (doubtful), then there's no reason to refuse to look at ways to improve. Even if we're leading the division at .500, that's more of the bad division coming into play than our own problems.

If we're winning, then fine, there's no reason to fix what's not broken.

In other words, unless a)we're winning a ton of games or b)our platoon is getting the job done, then Alexei in CF should be explored.

Frater Perdurabo
03-28-2009, 03:51 PM
I hope he's top five in the AL; that would be great. I'm trying not to get too optimistic.

According to Steve Stone, just seconds ago: "You just don't outrun Ramirez's arm."

Frater Perdurabo
03-28-2009, 03:54 PM
I think merely sitting at .500, no matter our division standing, is enough to give it a try. Unless our platoon is doing a hell of a job (doubtful), then there's no reason to refuse to look at ways to improve. Even if we're leading the division at .500, that's more of the bad division coming into play and not our own problems.

If we're winning, then fine, there's no reason to fix what's not broken.

If the Sox are at .500, I am reasonably sure they will be within striking distance of the division lead. No one is equipped to run away with this thing.

If the Sox are at .500 and BA is hitting .210, why not try to trade for Juan Pierre (and get the Dodgers to send cash our way)? He's led off his whole career, can bunt for hits, can steal lots of bases, can get to any ball in CF (something we do not know Alexei can do) and only lacks a strong arm. Or why not trade Beckham for Nate McLouth?

Craig Grebeck
03-28-2009, 03:56 PM
If the Sox are at .500, I am reasonably sure they will be within striking distance of the division lead. No one is equipped to run away with this thing.

If the Sox are at .500 and BA is hitting .210, why not try to trade for Juan Pierre (and get the Dodgers to send cash our way)? He's led off his whole career, can bunt for hits, can steal lots of bases, can get to any ball in CF (something we do not know Alexei can do) and only lacks a strong arm. Or why not trade Beckham for Nate McLouth?
Because he's not good defensively.

Frater Perdurabo
03-28-2009, 03:59 PM
Because he's not good defensively.

That doesn't seem to bother many of those who are advocating downgrading the CF defense to downgrade the SS defense, just to get a talented rookie's bat in the lineup, after just a couple dozen professional games.

At least MacLouth is an experienced MLB outfielder.

oeo
03-28-2009, 04:03 PM

I don't disagree with that, but that doesn't mean we will ever 'strike.' Leading the division or close to it at .500 doesn't say a whole lot about your team.

Because like I've said, we could have what we need already. I'd rather not have Pierre here for a couple more years. Also, I think Beckham will be a better player than McLouth, and with Beckham's uncertainty, it would probably take a little more to get him, anyway. Beckham shouldn't be discussed in any trade scenarios unless it's part of something to bring a stud back.

Craig Grebeck
03-28-2009, 04:03 PM
That doesn't seem to bother many of those who are advocating downgrading the CF defense to downgrade the SS defense, just to get a talented rookie's bat in the lineup, after just a couple dozen professional games.

At least MacLouth is an experienced MLB outfielder.
I'm stating a fact. McLouth is a glorified left fielder.

Frater Perdurabo
03-28-2009, 04:06 PM
I'm stating a fact. McLouth is a glorified left fielder.

And Beckham has played just a couple dozen professional games.

Let's at least see how things progress before we're coming up with scenarios to uproot Alexei from shortstop (where he's looked great) just to get Beckham's bat and inferior defense (when compared to Alexei) in the lineup, OK?

JB98
03-28-2009, 04:08 PM
I agree that the situation is fluid.

I just do not like the option of downgrading the defense at two critical defensive positions, especially at midseason.

Also, consider this historical tidbit: Remember when Jerry Manuel tinkered with the team by moving Jose Valentin to CF to make room for Royce Clayton at SS?

What if we're out of it? Then, who cares?

Also, if Dewayne Wise is going to start 100 games in CF for the Sox this year, how would Ramirez be a downgrade defensively at that position?

JB98
03-28-2009, 04:09 PM
I assume you mean 2B because Biggio was never a good CF. He was barely a step up from Mack O' Wack.

Your schtick is tiresome.

JB98
03-28-2009, 04:10 PM

If the pitching collapses, we could be out of the race with both Fields and Getz playing well. Hope not, but you never know.

Frater Perdurabo
03-28-2009, 04:12 PM
What if we're out of it? Then, who cares?

Also, if Dewayne Wise is going to start 100 games in CF for the Sox this year, how would Ramirez be a downgrade defensively at that position?

I'm not against experimenting if we're completely out of it.

I'm just saying that if Fields and Getz are hitting and fielding well - the conditions that would preclude a move of Beckham to another position - chances are the Sox will be right in the hunt. And if the Sox are in the thick of things, and BA is hitting .225 or lower, why not try to get Juan Pierre and get the Dodgers to pick up a big chunk of his salary?

Frater Perdurabo
03-28-2009, 04:16 PM
If the pitching collapses, we could be out of the race with both Fields and Getz playing well. Hope not, but you never know.

If Fields and Getz are playing great defense (as will Alexei), chances are the pitching staff will do OK. Obviously injuries could change things, especially if one of the Big Three (Buehrle, Danks, Floyd) goes down.

Again, if in late July the Sox are buried in fourth or last place, under .500, and well out of the race, and if Getz and Fields and Beckham are raking, and BA is sucking, I'm open to experimenting with Alexei in CF.

JB98
03-28-2009, 04:26 PM
If Fields and Getz are playing great defense (as will Alexei), chances are the pitching staff will do OK. Obviously injuries could change things, especially if one of the Big Three (Buehrle, Danks, Floyd) goes down.

Again, if in late July the Sox are buried in fourth or last place, under .500, and well out of the race, and if Getz and Fields and Beckham are raking, and BA is sucking, I'm open to experimenting with Alexei in CF.

Fair enough. When the conversation started, you seemed to be dismissing the possibility outright.

I don't think we should move Alexei to CF right now. On that, we agree. But I have that possibility in my head as a potential solution because I do not believe any of the Anderson/Owens/Wise trilogy will provide us a legitimate answer for the position. Hopefully, I'm wrong. I was wrong about Gavin Floyd last year.

If certain circumstances develop, I think the Sox need to strongly consider Alexei in CF and Beckham at SS. That's the argument I'm putting forth.

Frater Perdurabo
03-28-2009, 04:36 PM
If certain circumstances develop, I think the Sox need to strongly consider Alexei in CF and Beckham at SS. That's the argument I'm putting forth.

I'll entertain it only if you stop splitting your infinitives. :tongue:

JB98
03-28-2009, 04:38 PM
I'll entertain it only if you stop splitting your infinitives. :tongue:

Not a chance. :rolleyes:

Craig Grebeck
03-28-2009, 04:43 PM
I'm not against experimenting if we're completely out of it.

I'm just saying that if Fields and Getz are hitting and fielding well - the conditions that would preclude a move of Beckham to another position - chances are the Sox will be right in the hunt. And if the Sox are in the thick of things, and BA is hitting .225 or lower, why not try to get Juan Pierre and get the Dodgers to pick up a big chunk of his salary?
Because Juan Pierre is awful.

champagne030
03-28-2009, 04:47 PM
Your schtick is tiresome.

What??? Biggio sucked in CF.

Frater Perdurabo
03-28-2009, 05:06 PM
Because Juan Pierre is awful.

Why? He can lead off. He can bunt for hits. He can catch any ball out there. He has CF instincts. He only lacks an arm and doesn't hit for power.

Craig Grebeck
03-28-2009, 05:08 PM
Why? He can lead off. He can bunt for hits. He can catch any ball out there. He has CF instincts. He only lacks an arm and doesn't hit for power.
He doesn't get on base. He hasn't been an average player since 2004.

He can bunt? Who cares?

Getz can lead off.

Frater Perdurabo
03-28-2009, 05:15 PM
He doesn't get on base. He hasn't been an average player since 2004.

He can bunt? Who cares?

Getz can lead off.

My only point is that if CF is a black hole - if BA doesn't improve this year - why not trade for a CF who can lead off? It doesn't have to be Pierre.

Frater Perdurabo
03-28-2009, 05:21 PM
OK, here's another scenario. As long as we're considering midseason position changes:

What if at midseason the Sox are in contention; Getz, Fields, Alexei and Beckham are raking and fielding well, and Paulie is on the DL or slumping terribly?

What about moving Fields to first base and promoting Beckham to play third?

Frankly I think this would be an easier transition than moving Alexei to CF at midseason.

Eddo144
03-28-2009, 05:26 PM
My only point is that if CF is a black hole - if BA doesn't improve this year - why not trade for a CF who can lead off? It doesn't have to be Pierre.
There are only a handful of "CF who can lead off", and the teams that those guys are on value them appropriately. The Sox aren't going to be acquiring Granderson or Sizemore any time soon.

You are also dramatically overrating Pierre. At this stage in his career, he is only slightly better than Jerry Owens. He doesn't have the range you attribute to him, and he makes outs like it's his job. When a player's best offensive option is bunting for hits, I want him as far away from my team's lineup as possible.

Craig Grebeck
03-28-2009, 05:51 PM
OK, here's another scenario. As long as we're considering midseason position changes:

What if at midseason the Sox are in contention; Getz, Fields, Alexei and Beckham are raking and fielding well, and Paulie is on the DL or slumping terribly?

Frankly I think this would be an easier transition than moving Alexei to CF at midseason.
No. That would be terrible.

Frater Perdurabo
03-28-2009, 06:23 PM
No. That would be terrible.

So what would you do if Paulie was slumping badly or hurt?

JB98
03-28-2009, 06:33 PM

Depends on our position in the standings, and how Fields is playing defensively. I wouldn't say never.

Frater Perdurabo
03-28-2009, 06:37 PM
Depends on our position in the standings, and how Fields is playing defensively. I wouldn't say never.

OK, fair enough. :smile:

You and I have managed to find a way to bring both our heroes and our whipping boys into this thread. :tongue:

Craig Grebeck
03-28-2009, 07:13 PM
So what would you do if Paulie was slumping badly or hurt?
I wouldn't bring up Beckham and throw him to a position he's never played before, while simultaneously marginalizing Fields' offensive production by moving him to an easier filled position.

If Paulie is hurt, I pick up another first baseman on the cheap. If he's slumping, I limit his playing time and try to put him in positions to succeed.

jabrch
03-28-2009, 11:32 PM
Figgins is a below average defender at 3B and SS. He's an average CF. He is moved all over because - he is not good enough anywhere, but they want his bat in the order. We don't have that problem with Ramirez or (hopefully) eventually with Beckham.

jabrch
03-28-2009, 11:33 PM

Does Josh have any experience playing 1B?

FedEx227
03-28-2009, 11:56 PM
No, but for some reason everyone thinks you can throw a glove on someone and they can play 1B.

guillen4life13
03-28-2009, 11:57 PM
If Paulie is hurt, I pick up another first baseman on the cheap. If he's slumping, I limit his playing time and try to put him in positions to succeed.

Bring back Swisher.

Frater Perdurabo
03-29-2009, 06:57 AM
No, but for some reason everyone thinks you can throw a glove on someone and they can play 1B.

Well, lots of people seem to think you can stick anyone out in center field.

WSI and Ozzie Guillen's brain are the two places where center field is easier than first base.

sunofgold
04-01-2009, 08:10 PM
you have to move Alexei to CF. It doesn't have to happen right away, but you rarely finish the season without tweaking some things.

Alexei to CF and Beckham to SS is cheap and effective. Looks like a plausible move during this season.

Unless you trade for a CF somewhere during this season.

russ99
04-02-2009, 08:59 AM
And I think that' a colossal mistake by Angels management with Figgins. Be it at 2B, 3B or CF he should be playing every day at one position. There's a reason he gets injured so much.

As for Alexei, I think the discussion about him in CF will go away once we see what a great SS he is.