PDA

View Full Version : Joe Crede

NLaloosh
03-27-2009, 11:09 AM
Firstly, I want to start by saying that I have always been a Joe Crede fan and enjoyed his time on the South side.

However, the last couple of years with his back issues and agent issues I have been looking forward to him being replaced by Josh Fields. That day has finally come and I am happy!

Thanks for the memories Joe but right now the Sox are better off without you.

I really don't understand those that think the Twins will gain some big edge this season by having Crede. They won't. He'll be the same for them this year as he was for the Sox last year.

Let's make no mistake about it - Joe did not help the Sox a lot last year. He only played 97 games forcing them to use Juan Uribe for half the season and he made 20 errors in that short time- many were costly.

Yes, I know that Crede has played outstanding defense at times during his career but those days could be over. If you look at Joe's career, he turns 31 next month and has only had 1 good season (2006). He has a lifetime average of .257 with a pathetic .306 OBP. Plus, he can't run at all and is one of the worst base-runners I have ever seen.

Looking ahead, Joe is likely to continue to have back problems and miss games, play erratic defense, run the bases horribly, have a very low .OBP and have Scott Boras for an agent. He'll probably only play this season with Minny and then try the FA route again. The Sox had no choice but to let him go and they'll be better for it.

As for Josh Fields, he's far less expensive than Crede. He's healthier, a better base runner and will be a better hitter. He won't be the defender that Crede was in his prime when he was healthy but neither is Crede now.

I think this will be a big win for the Sox this year and in the future. Josh will be really good and I doubt that Joe will ever have another good season like 2006.

Go Josh!

kittle42
03-27-2009, 11:13 AM
I really don't understand those that think the Twins will gain some big edge this season by having Crede.

These people exist?

Johnny Mostil
03-27-2009, 11:25 AM
These people exist?

One of them is the baseball writer for the Tribune, no?

TomBradley72
03-27-2009, 11:36 AM
Firstly, I want to start by saying that I have always been a Joe Crede fan and enjoyed his time on the South side.

However, the last couple of years with his back issues and agent issues I have been looking forward to him being replaced by Josh Fields. That day has finally come and I am happy!

I really don't understand those that think the Twins will gain some big edge this season by having Crede. They won't. He'll be the same for them this year as he was for the Sox last year.

Let's make no mistake about it - Joe did not help the Sox a lot last year. He only played 97 games forcing them to use Juan Uribe for half the season and he made 20 errors in that short time- many were costly.

Yes, I know that Crede has played outstanding defense at times during his career but those days could be over. If you look at Joe's career, he turns 31 next month and has only had 1 good season (2006). He has a lifetime average of .257 with a pathetic .306 OBP. Plus, he can't run at all and is one of the worst base-runners I have ever seen.

Looking ahead, Joe is likely to continue to have back problems and miss games, play erratic defense, run the bases horribly, have a very low .OBP and have Scott Boras for an agent. He'll probably only play this season with Minny and then try the FA route again. The Sox had no choice but to let him go and they'll be better for it.

As for Josh Fields, he's far less expensive than Crede. He's healthier, a better base runner and will be a better hitter. He won't be the defender that Crede was in his prime when he was healthy but neither is Crede now.

I think this will be a big win for the Sox this year and in the future. Josh will be really good and I doubt that Joe will ever have another good season like 2006.

Go Josh!

I think you're under estimating the benefit of the 2nd surgery he had this past fall. He could be on the way back to his 2006 performance level which would be a huge lift for the Twins. I can't disagree with KW's decision to go with Fields, but a healthy Crede is among the elite 3rd basemen in MLB.

The back problems might return (just like Colon or Contreras may not hold up for the WSox), but it sounds like he's feeling better than he has since 2006.

whitesoxwilkes
03-27-2009, 11:39 AM
Run Joe Run!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3613/3377306140_d0067e3cb9.jpg

DSpivack
03-27-2009, 11:41 AM
I think you're under estimating the benefit of the 2nd surgery he had this past fall. He could be on the way back to his 2006 performance level which would be a huge lift for the Twins. I can't disagree with KW's decision to go with Fields, but a healthy Crede is among the elite 3rd basemen in MLB.

The back problems might return (just like Colon or Contreras may not hold up for the WSox), but it sounds like he's feeling better than he has since 2006.

Really? Defensively, sure he was good, but he had one good year offensively. I'd say calling him elite is a bit much.

Rocky Soprano
03-27-2009, 12:07 PM
This thread sucks and the timing is aweful.

ChiSoxFan81
03-27-2009, 12:49 PM
This thread sucks and the timing is aweful.

Not to mention your spelling

Chez
03-27-2009, 12:51 PM
I don't understand why you can't support Josh Fields without bashing Joe Crede. I understand and agree with the Sox decision to sever ties with Joe and go with Fields. That said, I thought Crede was really solid, will miss him and hope he has a great career (but that the Twins finish behind us).

Rocky Soprano
03-27-2009, 12:53 PM
Not to mention your spelling

Believe it or not, I did that on purpose.

doublem23
03-27-2009, 12:54 PM
I don't understand why you can't support Josh Fields without bashing Joe Crede. I understand and agree with the Sox decision to sever ties with Joe and go with Fields. That said, I thought Crede was really solid, will miss him and hope he has a great career (both that the Twins finish behind us).

I agree. Joe Crede was a good third baseman for us, he helped win the Sox a World Series for Christ's sake, but it was time for him to go. Now Josh Fields is our third baseman. I'm skeptical of his ability, but as long as he wears the pinstripes, I hope he plays Gold Glove defense and rakes at the plate.

DumpJerry
03-27-2009, 12:59 PM
One thing is certain: Phil Rogers does not have sciatica or know someone with the condition.

Crede will never be 100%. Being 90% will be a major challenge for Crede from now on. If he does not go on the DL (a big "if"), I don't see him playing much more than 100 games this season at Third. I won't count the times he might pinch hit and does not take the field.

ChiSoxFan81
03-27-2009, 01:02 PM
Believe it or not, I did that on purpose.

Suuuuuuuuuure ya did. :P
Yeah, it was time for Joe to go. Anyone complaining about Fields needs to give him a chance. Tell me you don't remember Crede's early struggles when he came to the bigs.

doublem23
03-27-2009, 01:07 PM
Yeah, it was time for Joe to go. Anyone complaining about Fields needs to give him a chance. Tell me you don't remember Crede's early struggles when he came to the bigs.

I don't know about that, there's pretty good evidence to suggest he's going to suck at the Majors, but we currently don't have any better options so our hands are tied. That being said, I wouldn't mind Josh having a .260/25/75 season. I could live with that. :cool:

ChiSoxFan81
03-27-2009, 01:11 PM
I don't know about that, there's pretty good evidence to suggest he's going to suck at the Majors, but we currently don't have any better options so our hands are tied. That being said, I wouldn't mind Josh having a .260/25/75 season. I could live with that. :cool:

I'm not saying he's going to be great, or even adequate. But he's been hanging around forever, and now's his chance. If he doesn't do the job, then we can look to other options. But we shouldn't write him off immediately.

Rocky Soprano
03-27-2009, 01:11 PM

I honestly did, I wanted to see how long it would take for someone to say that my post was "aweful." :D:

I hated to see Crede leave, while I'm ok with them giving Fields a chance, I am not overly excited as some of the people here.

ChiSoxFan81
03-27-2009, 01:14 PM
I honestly did, I wanted to see how long it would take for someone to say that my post was "aweful." :D:

I hated to see Crede leave, while I'm ok with them giving Fields a chance, I am not overly excited as some of the people here.

Yeah, I'm about as excited about Fields as I was about Crede coming to the plate when he first joined the club. Or BA coming up in '06. If the Sox could acquire a proven guy at 3B, I'd take it, but that's not happening.

NLaloosh
03-27-2009, 01:20 PM
I don't hate or even dislike Crede but I honestly feel that he'll never be the same player again.

I know that it's only spring training but after 13 games and 38 at bats he's hitting .184 with 1 run scored. Do you think that he's 100 % ?

longtimesoxguy
03-27-2009, 01:34 PM

Go Josh!
What gives you any reason to think your right about any of this.
This is the biggest jerk-off thread I have read on wsi.

SoxGirl4Life
03-27-2009, 01:53 PM
Are we really validating Phil Rogers' piece in the Tribune about Joe? Its the first (or second) of many he will write this year bashing the Sox for not signing Crede. (See 2007 and Phil Rogers' obsession with Chris Young.)

I wish Joe the best. But, I don't think his back is going to hold up, and I don't think the Sox should have offerend him a contract.

spawn
03-27-2009, 01:59 PM
Are we really validating Phil Rogers' piece in the Tribune about Joe? Its the first (or second) of many he will write this year bashing the Sox for not signing Crede. (See 2007 and Phil Rogers' obsession with Chris Young.)

I wish Joe the best. But, I don't think his back is going to hold up, and I don't think the Sox should have offerend him a contract.
Word. I had no problem with him being chosen last year to be the starter over Fields, but I think it would've been too risky a move to bring him back this year. I wish him luck in Minny and hope he stays healthy, but I think it was time to move on.

whitesox901
03-27-2009, 02:02 PM
word. I had no problem with him being chosen last year to be the starter over fields, but i think it would've been too risky a move to bring him back this year. I wish him luck in minny and hope he stays healthy, but i think kw it was time to move on.

+1

NLaloosh
03-27-2009, 02:17 PM
This is the biggest jerk-off thread I have read on wsi.

Hey, man. It could be worse. My mother-in-law is in Fargo right now being evacuated and wondering how she might save a few of her possessions.

It's Friday. Have a cocktail when you get home and chase the old lady around the house. You'll feel better.

Jim Shorts
03-27-2009, 02:19 PM
Doesn't anyone realize that you're taking a Phil Roger's column too seriously.

It's freaking Phil freaking Rogers.

johnnyg83
03-27-2009, 02:22 PM

If that was the criteria for posting, there'd be 75% less posts here. It's a message board ...

Madscout
03-27-2009, 02:28 PM

Agreed, but we probably won't see too much of a healthy Joe Crede anymore. Thanks for 05 Joe, but I await our Cuban 3rd baseman.

EndemicSox
03-27-2009, 02:38 PM
Agreed, but we probably won't see too much of a healthy Joe Crede anymore. Thanks for 05 Joe, but I await our Cuban 3rd baseman.

Agreed.

thedudeabides
03-27-2009, 02:58 PM
One thing is certain: Phil Rogers does not have sciatica or know someone with the condition.

Crede will never be 100%. Being 90% will be a major challenge for Crede from now on. If he does not go on the DL (a big "if"), I don't see him playing much more than 100 games this season at Third. I won't count the times he might pinch hit and does not take the field.

Your so right. I don't think most people understand how painful and debilitating his injury is. Also, it's re-occurring. Currently, there's no way to completely cure this. Just manage the pain and symptoms.

It's very unfortunate for Joe, but there's no way he can be the same player. Maybe in stretches, but not for the long haul.

palehozenychicty
03-27-2009, 05:53 PM
We're still on this merry-go-round? As someone said, he had one great offensive year in '06 which petered out by September even. His defense is what kept him around for years. Let's give Fields a chance. Before his 2007 debut, people projected him as an All-Star candidate. He knows that the time is now. I think he's worked hard and will become invaluable for this team.

SBSoxFan
03-27-2009, 11:36 PM

How has he shown he's going to suck in the majors? He certainly hit for power during extended playing time in 2007. Going into 2009, he's healthy, the Sox feel his defense has improved, and he's raking this Spring. I'll be surprised if he only puts up those numbers.

I'll defer to the Sox on his defensive abilities. I gotta believe Fields is a tremendous athlete so he certainly has what it takes to improve.

longtimesoxguy
03-27-2009, 11:48 PM
Hey, man. It could be worse. My mother-in-law is in Fargo right now being evacuated and wondering how she might save a few of her possessions.

It's Friday. Have a cocktail when you get home and chase the old lady around the house. You'll feel better.

I tell you I feel horrible for what the people of Fargo are going through. I wish your mother in law and everyone else the best. I went to Target tonight and bought some socks, t shirts and towels that our church will send out there.
Bottom line is your right I (and all of us) should lighten up!!!!

StillMissOzzie
03-28-2009, 12:09 AM

I don't think the artificial turf in the TwinkieDome is going to help matters any either. Not that he'd play 81 home games, but it can't help any.

SMO
:gulp:

EnglishChiSox
03-28-2009, 10:26 AM
I don't think the artificial turf in the TwinkieDome is going to help matters any either. Not that he'd play 81 home games, but it can't help any.

SMO
:gulp:

Not just playing on the turf, traveling on planes, different bed every week, cannot be easy for someone with a bad Cilla. I'd like to see him succeed (When he's not playing The Sox) but i don't see the Twins being miles better with him than without.

Mohoney
04-01-2009, 07:28 AM

Plus, all his home games will be on turf. Very unforgiving for a guy with back problems.