PDA

View Full Version : Are the Cubs going to be playing at the Cell?

whitesox901
03-27-2009, 04:33 AM
With the Cubs being bought by the new owners, I heard talk that they want to renovate Wrigley and the Cubs might have to play part of, or a whole
season at U.S. Cellular Field. Whats the deal on that? Is that going to happen, or are they just going to renovate Wrigley during the off season like
we do? Or is the whole idea scraped? I think it would be kind of cool for the Cubs to play, mostly for the fact that the Cell would get a lot of air time
on national TV, thanks for your input.

WSox597
03-27-2009, 06:16 AM
I sure hope not. The place would have to be fumigated after it was all over.

That would be most uncomfortable, just think of all the BS we'd get from their fans.

Let 'em play in Milwaukee.

WhiteSox1989
03-27-2009, 06:49 AM
I doubt that would happen.

DumpJerry
03-27-2009, 07:37 AM
This has been discussed numerous times over the past two years here.

The Sox have the veto power over the decision and they have always said it won't happen. Too much wear and tear on the field.

Red Barchetta
03-27-2009, 09:09 AM
If (when) this happens, I would expect the Cubs would only need one season of renovations. They already have the outfield/bleachers and the playing field renovated so they would need to renovate the concourse, luxery boxes, clubhouses, etc.

Because of "Cub Nation", I'm sure the marketing wizards would appease their national fan base and play selective home games throughout the country. I doubt the brass would be very concerned with actually winning during this time and more concerned with branding their national image. Perhaps games in Vegas, Iowa or other minor league cities as well as Milwaukee, St. Louis and Chicago (The Cell).

I'm sure the SOX will be asked to support a few Chicago series, but not the entire season.

kittle42
03-27-2009, 09:17 AM
On another note, I saw many, many kegs being loaded into Wrigley this morning on my way to the L. Yeah, it's Wrigley and all, but boy, am I excited the season is almost here.

guillensdisciple
03-27-2009, 09:22 AM
I am confident that, if left on their own, Cubs fans would have a field day in making U.S. Cellular a crap hole that we would have to fix.

Sorry, I am very paranoid about your average Cubs fan, even though I am well aware that the majority of them are not legally insane.

Eddo144
03-27-2009, 09:37 AM
I don't know, I actually see the Cubs playing at U.S. Cellular as a good thing. It would get the new-and-improved version of the park some national recognition, and it would no longer be a joke.

Who knows, the Sox might even pick up some new fans who realize that the Cell is a much nicer place to watch a game than Wrigley.

Jerko
03-27-2009, 09:50 AM
I've seen them (Cub fans) trash the field they supposedly adore time after time; so I'd want them nowhere near The Cell for a full season's worth of games. The people that live right near the park need a break too; I'm sure a lot of them are glad when the Sox are out of town (traffic wise, etc), and it would suck for them to put up with cub fans in the hood on days that are usually quiet. A series or 2 is one thing, the whole season? I hope not.

cws05champ
03-27-2009, 10:24 AM
It may get some good pub because of the Cubs playing there, and the real baseball fans may enjoy actually watching the game with the great site lines. However the frat boy drunkards that are masquarade as a fan will do their best to trash the parking lot, stadium and the statues in and around the stadium.
They hung a goat from their own beloved statue....what do you think they would do to the display outside and the statues inside the stadium?

DSpivack
03-27-2009, 10:46 AM
Thillens is probably available.

DumpJerry
03-27-2009, 11:00 AM
I mentioned this option in one of the threads last year on this topic. I feel it is an extremely viable option since without Wrigley, there is no marketing draw for the team.

Vestigio
03-27-2009, 11:02 AM

...and has better parking than Wrigley

jabrch
03-27-2009, 11:22 AM
It wouldn't surprise me if they did play at USCF for a season. I'm sure for the right price, JR and KW would agree to it.

doublem23
03-27-2009, 11:29 AM
It wouldn't surprise me if they did play at USCF for a season. I'm sure for the right price, JR and KW would agree to it.

I've never really seen what all the huallabaloo is about, if the Cubs want to help subsidize our payroll for a season, I'd be willing to let them do so... :cool:

DSpivack
03-27-2009, 11:46 AM
I mentioned this option in one of the threads last year on this topic. I feel it is an extremely viable option since without Wrigley, there is no marketing draw for the team.

No marketing draw, you say? They should have the best indian food in baseball! And there's also a kosher Dunkin' Donuts across the street. :redneck

Chez
03-27-2009, 11:46 AM
Isn't Jerry Reinsdorf already on record that he would never approve the Cubs playing at the Cell?

ChiSoxFan81
03-27-2009, 11:53 AM
I've seen them (Cub fans) trash the field they supposedly adore time after time; so I'd want them nowhere near The Cell for a full season's worth of games. The people that live right near the park need a break too; I'm sure a lot of them are glad when the Sox are out of town (traffic wise, etc), and it would suck for them to put up with cub fans in the hood on days that are usually quiet. A series or 2 is one thing, the whole season? I hope not.

Cub fans are just taking management's lead when they throw garbage on the field. It's a 100 year old tradition!

Noneck
03-27-2009, 11:54 AM
Isn't Jerry Reinsdorf already on record that he would never approve the Cubs playing at the Cell?

For the right amount, He'll do it.

ChiSoxFan81
03-27-2009, 11:57 AM
For the right amount, He'll do it.

How exactly does one transfer his soul to another party?

Eddo144
03-27-2009, 11:59 AM
It may get some good pub because of the Cubs playing there, and the real baseball fans may enjoy actually watching the game with the great site lines. However the frat boy drunkards that are masquarade as a fan will do their best to trash the parking lot, stadium and the statues in and around the stadium.
They hung a goat from their own beloved statue....what do you think they would do to the display outside and the statues inside the stadium?
The "frat boy drunkards" (which is really just "idiot drunkards", I know plenty of Sox fans who were in the Greek system, including myself) only go to games because of Wrigley Field. I wouldn't worry about them heading south to the Cell, except for the Sox-Cubs series (which they already go to).

Noneck
03-27-2009, 12:01 PM
How exactly does one transfer his soul to another party?
The almighty dollar takes control of ones soul.

DumpJerry
03-27-2009, 12:05 PM
No marketing draw, you say? They should have the best indian food in baseball! And there's also a kosher Dunkin' Donuts across the street. :redneck
You're right about that. I think it would be a shock to the fans' emotional states if the Cubs suddenly marketed solid substances which can be ingested as the reason to see the Cubs.

Also, have you ever tried to heave a pita sandwich wrapper (similar to a hot dog wrapper) all the way over the fence from Row 6 to protest a well-played hit by the visiting team? Not enough mass and the wind might blow it the wrong direction.

Does Thillins even have outfield seating? Without it, all bets are off!

doublem23
03-27-2009, 12:18 PM

Nope. (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&q=Kedzie+%26+Devon,+Chicago,+IL+60645&sll=41.998595,-87.70934&sspn=0.00299,0.004807&ie=UTF8&geocode=FQnVgAIdt6nF-g&split=0&ll=41.997941,-87.709522&spn=0.00598,0.009613&t=h&z=17)

dickallen15
03-27-2009, 12:18 PM
The Cubs could never play at USCF. If you remember when their roofs started falling on their paying customers they talked how USCF had some concrete falling as well. (Of course it was just cut out for tests, but why let facts get in the way of the story) plus the neighborhood is far too dangerous for their fans to attend games. I would hope the neighborhood would have a say if it is proposed considering the Cubs fans desire to use any public or private properties as their personal urinals.

DSpivack
03-27-2009, 12:30 PM
You're right about that. I think it would be a shock to the fans' emotional states if the Cubs suddenly marketed solid substances which can be ingested as the reason to see the Cubs.

Also, have you ever tried to heave a pita sandwich wrapper (similar to a hot dog wrapper) all the way over the fence from Row 6 to protest a well-played hit by the visiting team? Not enough mass and the wind might blow it the wrong direction.

No, but they can stand behind the fence and watch.

The smell from the Sanitary Canal on hot summer days would bring a pleasant, familiar experience for Cub fans.

DumpJerry
03-27-2009, 12:36 PM
No, but they can stand behind the fence and watch.

The smell from the Sanitary Canal on hot summer days would bring a pleasant, familiar experience for Cub fans.
*cues the song "The Way We Were"* "Memories....like a coral on the shore......"

Thome_Fan
03-27-2009, 10:23 PM
Humor some of us non-Chicagoans... what is Thillen?

forrestg
03-27-2009, 10:30 PM
at the united center they change the floor from ice to hardwood to change over from hockey to basketball would the US cellular staff have to switch over to a trough so cubs fans can urinate and then change back to individual urinals when the sox play?

Rdy2PlayBall
03-27-2009, 11:03 PM
"Cubs have record low in fans in 2009 because of the lack of a old, smelly, park. Also, without large metal cans in the bathrooms fans suffer major kidney failures for "holding it" too long." :o:

This is about 09 right? Wouldn't they have decided this before making the schedule? I can't see letting the Cubs play on out turf before the Sox get a chance to since they always play day games. We don't need them cursing up the field before the Sox play.

LoveYourSuit
03-27-2009, 11:07 PM
The Cub fans who come and spy on our board must have a field day to see how childish we are. Can we give it a rest?

I have never seen a drunk annoying Sox fan at the Cell in my lifetime.

As for a business move for huge $$$, I would be so thrilled if JR doesn't pamper to our meatball fanbase and makes a killing for allowing the Cubs to play at USCF.

But beyond that, sorry guys but ....

:threadsucks

RadioheadRocks
03-27-2009, 11:21 PM
The Cub fans who come and spy on our board must have a field day to see how childish we are. Can we give it a rest?

As for a business move for huge $$$, I would be so thrilled if JR doesn't pamper to our meatball fanbase and makes a killing for allowing the Cubs to play at USCF.

But beyond that, sorry guys but ....

:threadsucks

People are going to think whatever they want to think, so whatever any Cub fan lurkers think about this thread (or any other WSI thread for that matter) is no skin off of my nose.

kittle42
03-27-2009, 11:50 PM

IMO, stop making fun of them for being drunk, because Sox fans at the Cell are as bad, and keep making fun of them for being preppy frat boys and trixies.

sunofgold
03-28-2009, 12:12 AM
For those not from Chicago, Thillens is a stadium that has two baseball fields that are used mainly for little league games. Maybe softball. They used to have donkey baseball.

These fields aren't close to major league size and I doubt that it sits more than 2000 people. Actually, had lights way before Wrigley though. hahaha!

whitem0nkey
03-28-2009, 12:23 AM
Im cool with the idea.

the "real" cub fans would go to the cell. because they could get tickets. cub fans get a bad rap because of "fake" cub fans, tourists, young 20 year olds looking to get laid, and the rich that price out the fan.

the people who would buy the tickets would be baseball fans who can finally afford tickets to the team they love. while we get a kick back.

I want Mags back
03-28-2009, 02:47 AM
"Cubs have record low in fans in 2009 because of the lack of a old, smelly, park. Also, without large metal cans in the bathrooms fans suffer major kidney failures for "holding it" too long." :o:

This is about 09 right? Wouldn't they have decided this before making the schedule? I can't see letting the Cubs play on out turf before the Sox get a chance to since they always play day games. We don't need them cursing up the field before the Sox play.

of course its not about '09, we would have heard about it by now!! And the Cubs always play day games because the city makes them because of the area neighborhood is in.

:rolleyes:x10

LongLiveFisk
03-28-2009, 05:59 PM
Let them play at Miller Park ("Wrigley North" as they like to call it). Apparently they already feel at home there.

soxfan21
03-28-2009, 09:32 PM
They will be playing here June 26-28, which is enough for one season.

Shoeless_Jeff
03-29-2009, 09:09 PM
I am completely against the Cubs playing home games at The Cell.

I have never been a superstitious person, but looking at the record of disasterously epic fails the Cubs have pulled off, I don't want their bad luck rubbing off on the White Sox.

Consider this: The Cubs borrowed Comiskey Park for home games in the 1918 World Series. The White Sox never again won a World Series in that stadium.

Hmm. That 1918 World Series was the Cubs vs Red Sox. You had a team that went 86 years without winning a WS playing a team that has now gone 100 years without winning a WS in the stadium of a team that went 88 years without winning a WS.

Red Barchetta
03-30-2009, 12:11 PM

I have never been a superstitious person, but looking at the record of disasterously epic fails the Cubs have pulled off, I don't want their bad luck rubbing off on the White Sox.

Consider this: The Cubs borrowed Comiskey Park for home games in the 1918 World Series. The White Sox never again won a World Series in that stadium.

Hmm. That 1918 World Series was the Cubs vs Red Sox. You had a team that went 86 years without winning a WS playing a team that has now gone 100 years without winning a WS in the stadium of a team that went 88 years without winning a WS.

Good point! :o: I never knew that! Never piss off the baseball gods!

Let 'em play in Peoria or Rockford!

WhiteSoxRich
04-01-2009, 10:55 PM

Jerry Reinsdorf for President!!!!

Soxaredabest
04-01-2009, 11:44 PM
Roger would never agree to it. He doesn't like it when visiting team's pitchers throw in the outfield on their off days. I highly doubt that he would want an additional 81 games on the field. But you never know, money talks.

Steelrod
04-02-2009, 05:51 AM
The revenue would belong to the stadium authority, not the Sox.
Zero reasons to want them.

LoveYourSuit
04-02-2009, 11:42 AM

:rolleyes:
Get serious.

Do you believe in Santa Clause/ Mickey Mouse too?

sox2000divchamps
04-02-2009, 05:02 PM
:rolleyes:
Get serious.

Do you believe in Santa Clause/ Mickey Mouse too?

True, but why take a chance? We dont need those asshats at our park. They get pissed and screw things up, throw stuff on the field etc.

AnkleSox
04-02-2009, 05:56 PM

Every sentence you wrote after that was nothing but superstition.

mrfourni
04-03-2009, 08:35 AM

I know Jerry needs to give final approval, but he doesn't own the stadium. I'm sure if enough pressure is applied by politicians who don't want to see that sales tax revenue leave the city/state, that Jerry will almost be forced to allow the Cub's to play a year in a ballpark owned by the state of Illinois.

Shoeless_Jeff
04-03-2009, 08:16 PM
Every sentence you wrote after that was nothing but superstition.

It was more of a joke than anything. I was trying to convey that I was not superstitious about anything except for the Cubs because of their uncanny ability to choke at a level far beyond any other franchise in professional sports. The joke is that the Cubs record of failure is so epic that it can't be just sheer incompetence, but supernatural forces must be involved.

Evidently some people don't have a sense of humor around here.

ewokpelts
04-17-2009, 04:12 PM
With the Cubs being bought by the new owners, I heard talk that they want to renovate Wrigley and the Cubs might have to play part of, or a whole
season at U.S. Cellular Field. Whats the deal on that? Is that going to happen, or are they just going to renovate Wrigley during the off season like
we do? Or is the whole idea scraped? I think it would be kind of cool for the Cubs to play, mostly for the fact that the Cell would get a lot of air time
on national TV, thanks for your input.
Did you hear this news off a marginal sox fansite?

ewokpelts
04-17-2009, 04:15 PM
I know Jerry needs to give final approval, but he doesn't own the stadium. I'm sure if enough pressure is applied by politicians who don't want to see that sales tax revenue leave the city/state, that Jerry will almost be forced to allow the Cub's to play a year in a ballpark owned by the state of Illinois.Sox have one of the best stadium contracts in all of sports. Jerry, or more importantly, Roger Bossard, has final say.

That said, I could see him negotiating with the state(provided the state buys wrigley) and the cubs.
But recent reports indicate that Ricketts wants to pay for the work himself, so it seems more likely that a rolling rennovation, a la Fenway, is more likely.