PDA

View Full Version : My A.L. Central preview

NLaloosh
03-26-2009, 03:08 PM
After going through the depth charts of these teams I have formed some opinions on what I expect to see in 2009:

1. I'll start with the easiest one- Detroit. This is clearly the worst team in the division. No way they finish ahead of K.C. this year. This might be the worst pitching staff in the league. The bullpen is almost pure crap and that follows a rotation listed as Verlander, E. Jackson, Galarraga, Bonderman, Robertson, Willis and Porcello. If Edwin Jackson is your # 2 and your hoping Bonderman is ready to make it back but your depth after Robertson is Willis and Porcello ? Forget it. I haven't even talked about the aging of the everyday players. After Granderson and Cabrera they are all old and in their 30's. Sheffield is 40, Maggs is 35, Guillen, Thames, Everett, Polanco, Laird and Inge all atleast 32.

2. K.C. is not looking bad. Their bullpen is probably the best in the divsion. Rotation is nice at the top and the bottom could go either way depending on Hochevar's development. The lineup isn't great but they've added some pop. Butler, Teahen, Jacobs, Guillen and Alex Gordon can hit. Throw in the pesky guys like Crisp, De Jesus, Aviles and Callaspo and they could surprise. Ultimately, I think the back end of the rotation will be their downfall but they could approach .500.

3. Cleveland has huge ????? in their rotation. Expect Lee and Carmona to be very good but after that ? The bullpen is much improved and might be as good as K.C.'s. The lineup is the best in the division. Adding De Rosa was a real nice move for them. They will be good but I can't imagine them winning with Pavano, Reyes and Scott Lewis getting 60% of the starts.

4. Minnesota. G** ***N Minnesota. I hate these guys. I'm going to say right now that this will be the last year they will be so mystifying. Next year they will have to play in a real baseball stadium and their huge home field advantage will be gone. Their lineup does not impress me. 3 guys can hit- Morneau, Cuddyer and Mauer and Mauer will likely be much less productive this year. Their bullpen is good not great and I feel the same way about their rotation. They aren't great anywhere but they know how to play the game to win and they have that advantage.

5. I believe that the division becomes a 3-way battle with the top 3 teams winning between 84-88 games. I think that the Sox will prevail due to their balance. My biggest concern for the Sox is their defense which is why I want BA in CF. The defense could potentially hurt the Sox in a big way. Ramirez needs to play SS as advertised. Fields and Getz need to be respectable and Dye and Quentin cannot regress. There is really no outfield depth. I would love the addition of Melky Cabrera here. The bullpen I like but would like it better with Will Ohman. The Rotation looks good as long as it's healthy. I wouldn't want Richard or Marquez to be making too many starts.

I believe that if the Sox defense holds up and Colon and Contreras can make atleast 20 starts each the Sox should win the division.

russ99
03-26-2009, 03:21 PM
After going through the depth charts of these teams I have formed some opinions on what I expect to see in 2009:

1. I'll start with the easiest one- Detroit. This is clearly the worst team in the division. No way they finish ahead of K.C. this year. This might be the worst pitching staff in the league. The bullpen is almost pure crap and that follows a rotation listed as Verlander, E. Jackson, Galarraga, Bonderman, Robertson, Willis and Porcello. If Edwin Jackson is your # 2 and your hoping Bonderman is ready to make it back but your depth after Robertson is Willis and Porcello ? Forget it. I haven't even talked about the aging of the everyday players. After Granderson and Cabrera they are all old and in their 30's. Sheffield is 40, Maggs is 35, Guillen, Thames, Everett, Polanco, Laird and Inge all atleast 32.

2. K.C. is not looking bad. Their bullpen is probably the best in the divsion. Rotation is nice at the top and the bottom could go either way depending on Hochevar's development. The lineup isn't great but they've added some pop. Butler, Teahen, Jacobs, Guillen and Alex Gordon can hit. Throw in the pesky guys like Crisp, De Jesus, Aviles and Callaspo and they could surprise. Ultimately, I think the back end of the rotation will be their downfall but they could approach .500.

3. Cleveland has huge ????? in their rotation. Expect Lee and Carmona to be very good but after that ? The bullpen is much improved and might be as good as K.C.'s. The lineup is the best in the division. Adding De Rosa was a real nice move for them. They will be good but I can't imagine them winning with Pavano, Reyes and Scott Lewis getting 60% of the starts.

4. Minnesota. G** ***N Minnesota. I hate these guys. I'm going to say right now that this will be the last year they will be so mystifying. Next year they will have to play in a real baseball stadium and their huge home field advantage will be gone. Their lineup does not impress me. 3 guys can hit- Morneau, Cuddyer and Mauer and Mauer will likely be much less productive this year. Their bullpen is good not great and I feel the same way about their rotation. They aren't great anywhere but they know how to play the game to win and they have that advantage.

5. I believe that the division becomes a 3-way battle with the top 3 teams winning between 84-88 games. I think that the Sox will prevail due to their balance. My biggest concern for the Sox is their defense which is why I want BA in CF. The defense could potentially hurt the Sox in a big way. Ramirez needs to play SS as advertised. Fields and Getz need to be respectable and Dye and Quentin cannot regress. There is really no outfield depth. I would love the addition of Melky Cabrera here. The bullpen I like but would like it better with Will Ohman. The Rotation looks good as long as it's healthy. I wouldn't want Richard or Marquez to be making too many starts.

I believe that if the Sox defense holds up and Colon and Contreras can make atleast 20 starts each the Sox should win the division.

OK my turn.

1) Detroit. Don't underestimate them. They have a very solid veteran lineup and the same pitching was more unlucky and unhealthy than bad last season. Also Edwin Jackson is a pretty good pitcher, and I expect an uptick in a more prominent role. Feet are to the fire, with both Leland and the GM's jobs, along with several prominent players' careers on the line. They could win 85 or lose 85.

2) Cleveland, despite their back-of-rotation pitching question marks, still have to be favorites for the division. If healthy, which it looks like so far, they have the best lineup in the division, and Wood should finally stabilize the backend of the bullpen.

3) Minnesota, they'll go as far as their young pitching takes them, but the should be in the mix. if Crede can play close to a full year, look out. A big factor is Mauer's health. You know the're going to be the same scrappy (and annoying) team as in years past. I'd pick them for 3rd right now.

4) Royals, much improved, but the lineup is still weak and other than Soria the pitching has a lot to prove. Maybe next year. I'm still picking them last, but they could come close to .500 ball. Not a gimme win for the Sox anymore.

5) Sox, big question marks. None of the young pitching prospects have stepped up this spring, and it's probably too much to ask to expect Contreras and Colon to go a full season. Most experts are predicting a bit of a lesser year for Danks and Floyd, and Buerhle's had an off spring, and could be hurt. Not to mention new starters at 2B and 3B along with the black hole in CF. I'd say this team goes as far as the big 3 carries them. If Konerko, Thome and Dye do well, we can win 87 and grab 2nd place and a shot at the wild card. If they look old or get injured, around .500 and 4th place.

NLaloosh
03-26-2009, 03:33 PM
OK my turn.

1) Detroit. Don't underestimate them. They have a very solid lineup and the same pitching was more unlucky and unhealthy than bad last season. Also Edwin Jackson is a pretty good pitcher, and I expect an uptick in a more prominent role. Feet are to the fire, with both Leland and the GM's jobs, along with several prominent players' careers on the line. They could win 85 or lose 85.

2) Cleveland, despite their back-of-rotation pitching question marks, still have to be favorites for the division. If healthy, they have the best lineup in the division, and Wood should finally stabilize the backend of the bullpen.

3) Minnesota, they'll go as far as their young pitching takes them, but the should be in the mix. if Crede can play close to a full year, look out. A big factor is Mauer's health. You know the're going to be the same scrappy (and annoying) team as in years past. I'd pick them for 3rd right now.

4) Royals, much improved, but the lineup is still weak and other than Soria the pitching has a lot to prove. Maybe next year. I'm still picking them last, but they could come close to .500 ball.

5) Sox, big question marks. None of the young pitching prospects have stepped up this spring, and it's too much to ask for Contreras and Colon to go a full season. And most experts are predicting a bit of a lesser year for Danks and Floyd, and Buerhle's had an off spring, and could be hurt. Not to mention new starters at 2B and 3B along with the black hole in CF. I'd say this team goes as far as the big 3 carries them. If Konerko, Thome and Dye do well, we can win 87 and grab 2nd place and a shot at the wild card. If they look old, .500 and 4th place.

Hey Russ, you seem pretty worried about our Sox- don't be. They'll be fine. Kenny has added more depth than in years past and if any team is most likely to add payroll it would be the Sox. Ofcourse, injuries could knock any of these teams out of contention.

I disagree with you on a few things;

Crede will not be a factor in anything. Detroit's pitching is so bad that nothing else matters for them. Royals will surprise this year. The wild card will not come from this division.

I do agree with you that the starting rotations for Chicago, Cleveland and Minnesota will determine the end result in this division.

jabrch
03-26-2009, 03:44 PM
(Det)Also Edwin Jackson is a pretty good pitcher

Really? I wouldn't want him in my rotation. I think their rotation is AWFUL.

(Cle)Wood should finally stabilize the backend of the bullpen.

When your stabilzing force is Kerry Wood, you are in trouble. He is far from a stabilizer.

(Minny)if Crede can play close to a full year, look out.

I agree with that - and history has shown he can't - but who knows? It's the Twins. Stranger things have happened.

(KC)I'm still picking them last, but they could come close to .500 ball. Not a gimme win for the Sox anymore.

I'm guessing that the 18 games they play in the division in Sept/Oct will play a key role in determining who wins the division. But it won't be KC. They will possibly be a spoiler to the rest of the crowd. (to make things worse for them, in addition to all the games inside the division, they end with 4 vs BOS and 3 @ NYY.) I don't see K

5) If Konerko, Thome and Dye do well, we can win 87 and grab 2nd place and a shot at the wild card. If they look old or get injured, around .500 and 4th place.[/quote]

You think best case for this club is 87 games, second place and the WC? First off, 87 games wouldn't get us the WC. I don't see how someone in the AL E doesn't clear that. If everything clicks, we should win more than 87 games.

thomas35forever
03-26-2009, 03:49 PM
The Tigers will either be average or below average. The Royals could be a sleeper in the American League if their young players go above and beyond their expectations. The Indians have good pitching no question, and that offense will be more seasoned. It's hard to argue with a lineup that headlines Sizemore and Martinez. They improved by getting DeRosa, and Wood will be a strong force if he's healthy. I don't quite get why the experts are picking the Twins to win the division. Yeah, they have the M&M boys and Joe Nathan, but their rotation will struggle outside of the Central. There's not enough experience for them to carry out a full 162-game schedule. Finally, the White Sox are far from balanced. They helped balance their offense out by dumping some of the older veterans, but the key to the rotation will be those 4 and 5 spots. Colon and Contreras have to stay healthy the entire year if it's going to be taken seriously by everyone else. That said, it will definitely be a three-team race in the Central. I'm not going to predict a winner just yet because it's just that tight of a division.

PKalltheway
03-26-2009, 03:55 PM
My preview:

1.) Detroit- This year will be a telling year for the Tigers. Was last year a fluke, or a sign of things to come? Their lineup is still pretty explosive, and their rotation, as russ99 said, was unlucky and unhealthy last year (this excludes Dontrelle Willis though). The bullpen is still a mess though, and that more than anything else is what will likely doom their playoff chances.

2.) Cleveland- This is baseball's version of Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde. I swear, I don't know what the hell you'll see out of this team. Sometimes they look like world beaters and other times they look like a AAA team. With that being said, I expect Victor Martinez to bounce back this year, but I'm not entirely sure about Hafner. Will his injuries continue to get the best of him? Also, I expect Carmona to bounce back this year, and I think Cliff Lee should fall back to earth this year, but he'll still be productive. Their bullpen looks to be stronger this year, too, so I expect them to contend up until the end.

3.) Royals- They are a young team with a lot of upside, with a solid rotation, and a decent lineup, but until they actually show me something, I'm predicting another last place finish.

4.) Twins- They should be just as good as last year, but the big question will be if Mauer can be productive when he recovers from his injury. Something tells me he still will be very productive. Their young pitching staff is a year older now, with another year of experience under their belt. Joe Nathan is still Joe Nathan, but he finally looked human during last September. If Crede can stay healthy, this should be a really good team this year.

5.) Sox- Their lineup should still be as explosive as last year, with a lineup that will include Thome, Quentin, Dye, Konerko, and Ramirez. The front of their rotation with Buehrle, Floyd, and Danks gives me a ton of confidence in the Sox's chances this year. The bullpen still looks solid as well. If Contreras and Colon prove to stay healthy, they should be in contention all year long.

It's a wide open division; I won't pick a winner, but I'd say 87-90 wins should win the division.

whitesox901
03-26-2009, 04:28 PM
1.) Sox - Best rotation (if JC, and Bartolo get going), balanced line-up
2.) Twins - Its the damned Twins, they're always around
3.) Indians - Iffy rotation, good line-up
4.) Kansas City - better, no there yet
5.) Detroit - LOL, no pitching

pmck003
03-26-2009, 06:28 PM
In terms of starting pitching, I think the Sox and Twins are about a wash as of right now w/ Liriano, Baker, and Slowey possibly having a slight edge over the Sox's first three due to their upside. JC and Colon will be the deal breakers. I actually think Cleveland has a respectable chance to end up with the best starting pitching. Lee should revert a bit to Burls-like numbers, but I think Carmona, Lewis, and Reyes are underrated albeit with experience/injury risk. I think the Tigers Bonderman and Robertson have established their stink; would rather have others than Jackson to break out. Kansas City.

The Sox have my favorite bullpen. Cleveland's is not horrible but there's more than one guy I wouldn't wanna count on. The Twins will need guys like Crain and Humber to step up. Detroit has potential but you can't expect all of Rodney, Lyons, and Zumaya to be effective if even just one of them.

If Cleveland's staff stays healthy enough the whole season, I think they'll win the division. Otherwise I think its gonna be Sox vs. Twins again. Should be close.

NLaloosh
03-26-2009, 08:26 PM
1.) Sox - Best rotation (if JC, and Bartolo get going), balanced line-up
2.) Twins - Its the damned Twins, they're always around
3.) Indians - Iffy rotation, good line-up
4.) Kansas City - better, no there yet
5.) Detroit - LOL, no pitching

Succinctly well put.

TwinKess
03-27-2009, 11:09 AM
4. Minnesota. G** ***N Minnesota. I hate these guys. I'm going to say right now that this will be the last year they will be so mystifying. Next year they will have to play in a real baseball stadium and their huge home field advantage will be gone.

Our home field advantage isn't going anywhere. The Twins have already said that the infield grass will be cut so short you could put a putting green on it, and that the infield dirt (especially in front of home plate) will be pounded so hard it will be just like the dome. Add to that the fact that our players (especially the outfielders) wont be diving onto concrete and getting rug burns to dive for fly balls, meaning we will be healthier at the end of the season.

cards press box
03-27-2009, 11:21 AM
Our home field advantage isn't going anywhere. The Twins have already said that the infield grass will be cut so short you could put a putting green on it, and that the infield dirt (especially in front of home plate) will be pounded so hard it will be just like the dome. Add to that the fact that our players (especially the outfielders) wont be diving onto concrete and getting rug burns to dive for fly balls, meaning we will be healthier at the end of the season.

A groundskeeper can only do so much. Over the years, the Metrodome has been a virtual pinball machine. A grass field, even if manicured like a putting green, won't play the same way.

The Twins, like every other team, try to build a team to maximize their advantage at home. Starting in 2010, the home field will offer a different set of advantages. It's unrealistic to expect an outdoor stadium in Minneapolis to have the same characteristics as the Metrodome. If nothing else, an outdoor stadium can never replicate a dome in terms of crowd noise. That's a big advantage that will be gone after 2009, as well.

TwinKess
03-27-2009, 12:03 PM
A groundskeeper can only do so much. Over the years, the Metrodome has been a virtual pinball machine. A grass field, even if manicured like a putting green, won't play the same way.

The Twins, like every other team, try to build a team to maximize their advantage at home. Starting in 2010, the home field will offer a different set of advantages. It's unrealistic to expect an outdoor stadium in Minneapolis to have the same characteristics as the Metrodome. If nothing else, an outdoor stadium can never replicate a dome in terms of crowd noise. That's a big advantage that will be gone after 2009, as well.

Agreed, that is one dome effect that will be sorely missed.

DumpJerry
03-27-2009, 12:15 PM
There won't be blowers to turn on during the bottom of inning in the new Twins' stadium.

There won't be high pop-ups lost in the same-color ceiling in the new Twins' stadium.

jabrch
03-27-2009, 12:20 PM

Will you continue to artificially manipulate the air flow to blow out when you hit and to blow in when you are pitching?

NLaloosh
03-27-2009, 12:48 PM

Will you still have garbage baggies on the outfield walls ?

You see, when your park is different in any way than every other park it becomes a big home field advantage.

DumpJerry
03-27-2009, 01:13 PM
Last year, the Twins were 53-28 at home. On the road, the Twins were 35-47.

Last year, the Sox were 54-28 at home and 35-46 on the road.

Take out the play-in game, and they had identical home and road records.

That darn U.S. Cellular Field! It gives the White Sox an unfair advantage!

NLaloosh
03-27-2009, 01:14 PM
Last year, the Twins were 53-28 at home. On the road, the Twins were 35-47.

Last year, the Sox were 54-28 at home and 35-46 on the road.

Take out the play-in game, and they had identical home and road records.

That darn U.S. Cellular Field! It gives the White Sox an unfair advantage!

That really doesn't mean anything. Maybe the Twins would've been 48-33 at home with a park comparable to the others.

DumpJerry
03-27-2009, 01:17 PM
That really doesn't mean anything. Maybe the Twins would've been 48-33 at home with a park comparable to the others.
How do you arrive at this figure?

My point is that for all the bellyaching we (and other AL fans) have had about the supposed advantage the Twins have at home, it appears that the Sox had the same advantage, too. I did not go through the records of other teams whose overall W-L records were close to the Twins/Sox' records, but I'm sure the home/road splits are about the same.

doublem23
03-27-2009, 01:41 PM
How do you arrive at this figure?

My point is that for all the bellyaching we (and other AL fans) have had about the supposed advantage the Twins have at home, it appears that the Sox had the same advantage, too. I did not go through the records of other teams whose overall W-L records were close to the Twins/Sox' records, but I'm sure the home/road splits are about the same.

Teams should have a home field advantage. When you play 81 times per season in the same place, you ought to try and build your team to have success at that park. For the Sox and US Cellular Field, which is very HR-friendly that means having a lineup with a lot of power and pitchers who keep the ball on the ground. By contrast, that's exactly what you don't want at the Metrodome, since it's got a much bigger OF and deep power alleys, and the artificial turf moves ground balls through the infield very quickly. Good teams win at home because their home park can be a 10th man; unlike basketball and football that have very limited "home field advantages," the individual differences from ballpark to ballpark can be a huge advantage if a team can harness it.

I have no doubt the Twins will eventually become used to their new park and build their team around the quirks they discover there, but at least they'll have to win in more traditional way, so it will at least not be as frustrating... No more lazy fly balls lost in the gray ceiling... No more ****ty hittrs like Nick Punto and Lew Ford pounding ground balls into the turf and having them rocket past the infield.

russ99
03-27-2009, 01:57 PM
Really? I wouldn't want him (Jackson) in my rotation. I think their rotation is AWFUL.

When your stabilzing force is Kerry Wood, you are in trouble. He is far from a stabilizer.

I agree with that - and history has shown he (Crede) can't - but who knows? It's the Twins. Stranger things have happened.

I'm guessing that the 18 games they play in the division in Sept/Oct will play a key role in determining who wins the division. But it won't be KC. They will possibly be a spoiler to the rest of the crowd. (to make things worse for them, in addition to all the games inside the division, they end with 4 vs BOS and 3 @ NYY.) I don't see K

You think best case for this club is 87 games, second place and the WC? First off, 87 games wouldn't get us the WC. I don't see how someone in the AL E doesn't clear that. If everything clicks, we should win more than 87 games.

I'd take Edwin Jackson over Contreras and Colon... Detroit's a pitchers park too. I don't think it's a stretch that he'll have a pretty solid season there. He may not have the greatest numbers, but he can pitch. And with the Tigers in general, this looks like the last shot for that group, and they won't take it lightly.

Kerry Wood will always have question marks with his health, but he's certainly more solid and reliable than Joe Borowski or whoever the Tribe threw in when he was out. Plus, I think he'll thrive outside the realm of nutty expectations by Cubs fans.

With Crede, I'm just going on track record. I don't think playing on turf will help his back one iota, but as with Magglio, Sox medical reports prior to FA may be blowing things slightly beyond the realm of reality. All indications are he's healthy going into the season, so we'll see. Healthy, he's the 3rd or 4th best hitter on the club, and is the power bat the Twins have desperately needed for 2 years.

I think at least one of the ALE teams will take a step back (not saying who right now, could be any of the three, and all have legit reasons for thinking that way) and 87-90 wins could secure the WC this year.

If everything clicks, the Sox could win more than 87, but this is baseball. Rarely does everything go perfectly according to plan. And I don't think Kenny has the go-ahead to add as much payroll at the deadline as in previous seasons.

oeo
03-27-2009, 02:04 PM

I've heard this mentioned before, but I find it really hard to believe they're going to be able to simulate a dome and artificial turf. Maybe make it more in their favor to their type of game, but it won't be anything close to what they have in the dome. They can try, but they don't have concrete under their turf, they're actually going to have to combat the elements in the grounds keeping, etc.

Regardless, at least the Sox won't have to ever play in that depressing dump ever again. I think that's home advantage #1 for any dome.

NLaloosh
03-27-2009, 02:22 PM
Teams should have a home field advantage. When you play 81 times per season in the same place, you ought to try and build your team to have success at that park. For the Sox and US Cellular Field, which is very HR-friendly that means having a lineup with a lot of power and pitchers who keep the ball on the ground. By contrast, that's exactly what you don't want at the Metrodome, since it's got a much bigger OF and deep power alleys, and the artificial turf moves ground balls through the infield very quickly. Good teams win at home because their home park can be a 10th man; unlike basketball and football that have very limited "home field advantages," the individual differences from ballpark to ballpark can be a huge advantage if a team can harness it.

I have no doubt the Twins will eventually become used to their new park and build their team around the quirks they discover there, but at least they'll have to win in more traditional way, so it will at least not be as frustrating... No more lazy fly balls lost in the gray ceiling... No more ****ty hittrs like Nick Punto and Lew Ford pounding ground balls into the turf and having them rocket past the infield.

Thank you. Every team has a home field advantage, as do the White Sox, but not to the ridiculous extent that the Twins do.

Madscout
03-27-2009, 02:31 PM
Thank you. Every team has a home field advantage, as do the White Sox, but not to the ridiculous extent that the Twins do.
When your park doesn't play like a ballpark, then yes, a ridiculous home field advantage is in effect.

whitesox901
03-27-2009, 02:39 PM
Succinctly well put.

thanks

FloridaTigers
03-28-2009, 04:22 AM
I'm glad you guys keep thinking the Tigers are garbage. Keep us in the underdog role and surprise in the end. Pitching isn't as bad as you say it is. I know you're biased NLaloosh, but it doesn't mean you have to disregard common sense, seeing as Verlander, Bonderman, and Galaragga aren't too bad.

Anyone can win the AL Central this year.

whitesox901
03-28-2009, 04:32 AM
I'm glad you guys keep thinking the Tigers are garbage. Keep us in the underdog role and surprise in the end. Pitching isn't as bad as you say it is. I know you're biased NLaloosh, but it doesn't mean you have to disregard common sense, seeing as Verlander, Bonderman, and Galaragga aren't too bad.

Anyone can win the AL Central this year.

I can agree to that, Its Jeremy I've never been sold on, Bonderman's never had an ERA below 4.29 before, I just think he's kind of overrated

EDIT: I feel the same for Jackson, he had an awesome 2003 with LA, but other than that its another ERA of 5.45+

Maybe I put to much emphasis on the ERA stat, I just think its the best way to measure a pitcher

FloridaTigers
03-28-2009, 04:39 AM
I can agree to that, Its Jeremy I've never been sold on, Bonderman's never had an ERA below 4.29 before, I just think he's kind of overrated

EDIT: I feel the same for Jackson, he had an awesome 2003 with LA, but other than that its another ERA of 5.45+

Maybe I put to much emphasis on the ERA stat, I just think its the best way to measure a pitcher

I could see why one would think Bonderman is overrated. His 2005 and 2006 seasons were great, but suffered injuries as of late. It seems like the national media makes him "breakout player to watch for" and it never happens, or so it seems to non-Tigers fans.

The real question is the #5 starter. Robertson is horrible. He didn't deserve the extension he got in the first place, and his performance since only proves it. Willis might never see a major league field again. Porcello has had a good spring, and is our most promising prospect, but you know about the concerns with him since you frequent MTS much. I'm all for Rick Porcello being our #5, but how many innings can someone with his experience pitch before needed to be shut down?

whitesox901
03-28-2009, 04:44 AM
I could see why one would think Bonderman is overrated. His 2005 and 2006 seasons were great, but suffered injuries as of late. It seems like the national media makes him "breakout player to watch for" and it never happens, or so it seems to non-Tigers fans.

The real question is the #5 starter. Robertson is horrible. He didn't deserve the extension he got in the first place, and his performance since only proves it. Willis might never see a major league field again. Porcello has had a good spring, and is our most promising prospect, but you know about the concerns with him since you frequent MTS much. I'm all for Rick Porcello being our #5, but how many innings can someone with his experience pitch before needed to be shut down?

Do you think Bonderman can break out this year if he over comes this injury? (I'm not sure on how the seriousness is though) Also, how well do you think the Tigers rotation will be this season in your own opinion?