PDA

View Full Version : Melky Cabrera or Brian Anderson?

NLaloosh
03-26-2009, 10:18 AM
If the Sox could get Melky from the Yanks without giving up too much would you rather have him as the starting CFer or BA ?

Madscout
03-26-2009, 10:19 AM
If the Sox could get Melky from the Yanks without giving up too much would you rather have him as the starting CFer or BA ?
I'd play the hot hand. Melky is younger, and most likely has more upside. Haven't seen him play enough to say...

TomBradley72
03-26-2009, 10:24 AM
Looking at his "splits", he hits RHs much better than LHs...so I'd see him as replacing Wise/Owens not BA.

russ99
03-26-2009, 10:50 AM
Let's see if Kenny can swing a deal first. I withhold my vote.

NLaloosh
03-26-2009, 10:53 AM
Looking at his "splits", he hits RHs much better than LHs...so I'd see him as replacing Wise/Owens not BA.

Agreed. Replacing Owens/Wise with Cabrera makes the Sox much better.

doublem23
03-26-2009, 10:56 AM
Cabrera's career splits vs RHP: .274/.333/.392
Anderson's career splits vs. LHP: .212/.272/.386

http://www.impawards.com/1986/posters/platoon.jpg

BleacherBandit
03-26-2009, 10:58 AM
Who'd we give up for him? They'd probably want pitchers, I'm guessing.

kittle42
03-26-2009, 11:44 AM
Platoon with Anderson.

Thome25
03-26-2009, 11:53 AM
I voted Melky. I'd be alright with a platoon with Anderson.....but, if the Sox acquired Melky I'd hope he could play more.....anything to keep BA in a galaxy far, far away from anything but 4th or 5th outfielder.

Marqhead
03-26-2009, 12:28 PM
This thread is going to be epic.

NLaloosh
03-26-2009, 01:24 PM
Well, it probably won't happen. It is funny to me because I thought it was a tough choice and that the vote would probably be very even, which it has been.

spawn
03-26-2009, 01:30 PM
Platoon with Anderson.
And Wise.

psyclonis
03-26-2009, 01:44 PM
Cabrera gets my vote...
He has a better arm, hes faster and doesn't strike out as much.

It's Dankerific
03-26-2009, 02:03 PM
People could post "Satan or Brian Anderson" and I have my doubts Brian would win that poll here.

Of course, not because they hate Brian, just because they reasonably think Satan can hit RH pitching.

voodoochile
03-26-2009, 02:10 PM
People could post "Satan or Brian Anderson" and I have my doubts Brian would win that poll here.

Of course, not because they hate Brian, just because they reasonably think Satan can hit RH pitching.

Is this an admission that Brian can't? :o:

Edit: Are you saying Jesus can't hit the curveball?

doublem23
03-26-2009, 02:18 PM

Are you trying to tell me the all-powerful Lord of Darkness couldn't hit better than .221 over his career?

Keep telling yourself it's all just because we have some vendetta against Brian and want him to fail and that it has nothing to do with the lousy track record he's established over nearly 650 plate appearances in his Major League career.

It's Dankerific
03-26-2009, 02:30 PM
Is this an admission that Brian can't? :o:

No, I just didnt use teal because I wouldnt want to accuse anyone of hating Brian.

Edit: Are you saying Jesus can't hit the curveball?

Thats a theological question that I am ill-prepared to answer. Just to be clear, I dont think Brian is Jesus, if thats what you are asking.

Are you trying to tell me the all-powerful Lord of Darkness couldn't hit better than .221 over his career?

From some of the sentiments about Brian, I think its clear that perhaps the all-powerful Lord of Darkness has not seen fit to hit better than .221 over his career yet.

Keep telling yourself it's all just because we have some vendetta against Brian and want him to fail and that it has nothing to do with the lousy track record he's established over nearly 650 plate appearances in his Major League career.

Maybe Brian shouldnt have called Fields "Cankles"

oeo
03-26-2009, 02:32 PM
Maybe Brian shouldnt have called Fields "Cankles"

I'm pretty sure he called Quentin that.

It's Dankerific
03-26-2009, 02:35 PM
I'm pretty sure he called Quentin that.

I'll have to review the show, if so, sorry for the mistake. =)

Thome25
03-26-2009, 02:51 PM

Exactly. No one has a vendetta against him and no one hates him "just because". This isn't some fad to be in the "BA Haters Club". As a matter of fact, there is no BA Haters Club. Those of us that don't like him simply don't like the way he plays. We want a successful White Sox team......and it's hard to build a successful team with unsuccessful, mediocre ballplayers like BA.

Nellie_Fox
03-26-2009, 03:13 PM
People could post "Satan or Brian Anderson" and I have my doubts Brian would win that poll here. Typical internet "all or nothing" hyperbole. "If you don't agree with me, you must be as far at the other end of the spectrum as is humanly possible." These kind of assertions add absolutely nothing to the discussion.

Mendoza Line
03-26-2009, 03:44 PM

I thought Satan played basketball.. (Man, I hate those Bulls commercials)

Kidding aside, I'd be interested in at least seeing what Cabrera could do.

JungleJimR
03-26-2009, 05:02 PM
Per MLB.com/Yankees

spawn
03-26-2009, 05:05 PM
I hope this doesn't happen. There's already enough "Brian Anderson has been wronged" threads around here. This place would explode if Cabrera were traded here.

DirtySox
03-26-2009, 05:06 PM
I'm assuming this is based off the article posted yesterday? Or are their new developments?

DSpivack
03-26-2009, 05:09 PM
I hope this doesn't happen. There's already enough "Brian Anderson has been wronged" threads around here. This place would explode if Cabrera were traded here.

I wouldn't mind a BA/Melky platoon.

SoxGirl4Life
03-26-2009, 05:12 PM
I'm assuming this is based off the article posted yesterday? Or are their new developments?
Same thing as yesterday

JungleJimR
03-26-2009, 05:14 PM

It might be from yesterday but I just found it after a Sox fan called me.

KenBerryGrab
03-26-2009, 05:25 PM
What's the score?

ode to veeck
03-26-2009, 05:26 PM
What's the score?

Exactly, who's on first?

Quentin4prez
03-26-2009, 05:34 PM
why exactly does anyone think melky is a step up from what we have:scratch:
unless we trade him for salary its a dumb move Im looken at you Mcdougal.

doublem23
03-26-2009, 05:39 PM
why exactly does anyone think melky is a step up from what we have:scratch:
unless we trade him for salary its a dumb move Im looken at you Mcdougal.

Because he, unlike Anderson, Owens, and Wise, has at least been able to hit Major League pitching consistently over the course of a season. Yes, I know last year was rough on him, but at least there's some hope for the guy who is only 24.

And considering the righty/lefty splits Cabrera and Anderson make for a perfect platoon.

kittle42
03-26-2009, 05:50 PM

Amen, doublem. The refuge of people whose arguments are losers is tossing names and labels. There is nothing objectively flawed with Anderson - we are all just BA haters! He can never get a fair shake!!!

Hey, if it wins political elections, it can win in sports, too!

spawn
03-26-2009, 05:53 PM
HAs there ever been a player discussed here as often as Brian Anderson? I've said it before and i'll say it again...I'll never understand how a mediocre player as one Brian Anderson could be the source of as many threads and posts as he has generated. Simply amazing.

doublem23
03-26-2009, 05:57 PM
HAs there ever been a player discussed here as often as Brian Anderson? I've said it before and i'll say it again...I'll never understand how a mediocre player as one Brian Anderson could be the source of as many threads and posts as he has generated. Simply amazing.

You didn't join us until 2005 so you missed the epic Royce Clayton v. Jose Valentin threads from the earlier in the decade.

http://whitesoxinteractive.com/Graphics/RoyceChoice/jesusroyce.jpg

I've yet to see someone plaster Anderson's face over Jesus yet.

spawn
03-26-2009, 05:58 PM
You didn't join us until 2005 so you missed the epic Royce Clayton v. Jose Valentin threads from the earlier in the decade.

http://whitesoxinteractive.com/Graphics/RoyceChoice/jesusroyce.jpg

I've yet to see someone plaster Anderson's face over Jesus yet.
Wow. Definitely glad I wasn't around for that...

kittle42
03-26-2009, 06:28 PM

He has his fans. Luckily, scotty's love for Toby Hall never became advocating playing Toby Hall over AJ.

palehozenychicty
03-27-2009, 01:53 AM
If they swing a trade for the Melk man, he's a starter. Otherwise, it is pointless exercise.

guillensdisciple
03-27-2009, 02:41 AM
I'm confused, prior to last year, what was there not to like about Melky? Even with last year's statistics, he looks like he might be better than anyone else we might have.

My vote is a profound yes, and I am shocked to see so many people hold allegiance with Brian Anderson over an option like this. I want him starting now, but if I had the choice of Melky- he could ride the bench for the rest of the season.

Chrisaway
03-27-2009, 02:48 AM
My vote is for Melky IF we can get him cheap otherwise I say we give Brian one last shot to live up to his "fame".

CWSpalehoseCWS
03-27-2009, 05:34 AM
I'm confused, prior to last year, what was there not to like about Melky? Even with last year's statistics, he looks like he might be better than anyone else we might have.

My vote is a profound yes, and I am shocked to see so many people hold allegiance with Brian Anderson over an option like this. I want him starting now, but if I had the choice of Melky- he could ride the bench for the rest of the season.

I think alot of people are against it because it would depend on what we would give up. I'd would say no at this point, simple because you know the Yankees won't give him away, and it is fairly late in ST to make any drastic changes IMO.

whitesox901
03-27-2009, 05:41 AM
just go with BA, he's already here too.

kittle42
03-27-2009, 10:18 AM
just go with BA, he's already here too.

Saves money on airfare.

Iwritecode
03-27-2009, 10:22 AM
Wow. Definitely glad I wasn't around for that...

We had an arm-wresting contest at Soxfest to determine the winner. :D:

California Sox
03-27-2009, 11:20 AM
Can I retroactively support Jose? The 'stache alone earned him his salary.

PaleHoser
03-27-2009, 02:44 PM
Rob Neyer weighs in on this in his column (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=4021002&name=Neyer_Rob) today on ESPN's web site. He has some interesting comments.

kittle42
03-27-2009, 02:58 PM
Rob Neyer weighs in on this in his column (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=4021002&name=Neyer_Rob) today on ESPN's web site. He has some interesting comments.

A clear and reasoned discussion of the situation.

He's obviously a hater.

KenBerryGrab
03-27-2009, 03:04 PM
He grew up a Royal fan and does have an admitted disliking of the White Sox. He says he tries to put it aside, but...

It's Dankerific
03-27-2009, 03:26 PM
A clear and reasoned discussion of the situation.

He's obviously a hater.

i dunno, he reiterates the obvious question. why is owens even being considered and why has he received the playing time he has.

kittle42
03-27-2009, 03:33 PM
i dunno, he reiterates the obvious question. why is owens even being considered and why has he received the playing time he has.

He took a nice jab at Ozzie re: Owens on the ABs, and on the "love of speed" argument in Owens' "favor."

He should have also spent a little more time talking about how much Wise sucks, because he does.

But other than that, it was a clear, but brief, synopsis, balanced with the nice tidbit about other teams also relying on very questionable options.

cards press box
03-27-2009, 03:33 PM
He grew up a Royal fan and does have an admitted disliking of the White Sox. He says he tries to put it aside, but...

I don't know anything about Rob Neyer's rooting interests with respect to the Sox but I agree with everything he said in the article. CF is the Sox' weak link right now and the current options are not great. As Neyer points out, Anderson has the most upside of anyone the Sox have but he has lots of question marks, too. Melky Cabrera may or may not be the answer but if the Sox hope to contend, they will likely add a CF either before the season or during the season.

sox1970
03-27-2009, 03:34 PM
So what would the Yankees want for him?

Madscout
03-27-2009, 03:56 PM
I just don't get why we have to have CF lead off for us. Why is this a given? I understand he is a rookie, but why not give Getz a shot at leadoff and simply worry about the CF that is going to give you the best play? Then, if that sucks, adjust accordingly. But to ask our weakest position to also fill the role of leadoff as well, with all that comes with that, could anybody fill that role? I can't count too many guys who we would be happy with leading off that also play a good CF.

Tragg
03-27-2009, 04:45 PM
Pretty accurate analysis of the situation by Neyer.

Bucky F. Dent
03-27-2009, 10:29 PM
I thought Satan played basketball.. (Man, I hate those Bulls commercials)

No, Miro Satan is a winger for the Pens!

Bucky F. Dent
03-27-2009, 10:31 PM

Yep. He pretty much nailed it.

JB98
03-28-2009, 12:43 AM
Hopefully, Beckham develops quickly. By midseason, I want him at SS and Ramirez in CF.

Screw Melky Cabrera. And everyone already knows that I don't like any of the current three "options" in CF. Neyer hits the nail when he points out that they all suck.

Frater Perdurabo
03-28-2009, 08:26 AM
Hopefully, Beckham develops quickly. By midseason, I want him at SS and Ramirez in CF.

You want to downgrade our defense at two critical defensive positions?

Taliesinrk
03-28-2009, 11:26 AM

Screw Melky Cabrera. And everyone already knows that I don't like any of the current three "options" in CF. Neyer hits the nail when he points out that they all suck.

I may agree with you abt. Richard, but the only way I want to see Ramirez in CF is he's getting called off on a pop-up by Brian Anderson. Ramirez is not a CF... I don't know what other people saw when he was out there at the beginning of last year, but it was not pretty.

sox1970
03-28-2009, 12:01 PM
I may agree with you abt. Richard, but the only way I want to see Ramirez in CF is he's getting called off on a pop-up by Brian Anderson. Ramirez is not a CF... I don't know what other people saw when he was out there at the beginning of last year, but it was not pretty.

I'm not ready to write off Ramirez in CF completely. When he was out there last year, he was experiencing cold weather for the first time in his life. I'm not sure he wouldn't have looked like a butcher at SS at the beginning of last year too.

I'm not saying they should move him to CF now...I don't think the should. But I don't think it's a set in stone thing that he's awful in CF, and would never be good out there.

DirtySox
03-28-2009, 01:22 PM
http://markbowman.mlblogs.com/archives/2009/03/soriano_willingly_speaks.html

Now we need Josh Anderson added to the poll. :cool:

JB98
03-28-2009, 01:26 PM
Those who do not like my suggestion about moving Ramirez to CF can read my arguments in the Ramirez thread over in the clubhouse. I don't really care to make the same comments twice in two different threads.

Taliesinrk
03-28-2009, 05:15 PM

interesting...

Tragg
03-28-2009, 08:18 PM
Anderson's out of options-should be real cheap. The Braves got him from Houston for a veteran middle reliever, and that should be the price, at most, today. But then didn't we get him thrown into the Vasquez trade? He's a lefty and, to me, he looks like a solid upgrade over Wise or Owens.

It's a little late to start moving Alexei to cF and all that....

SoxNation05
03-29-2009, 12:01 PM
Melky has a cooler name?

cards press box
03-29-2009, 02:17 PM

Josh Anderson's minor league numbers are interesting. Anderson, who bats lefty and throws righty, has a career minor league average of .294, a .340 OBP and a lot of stolen bases.

Just from the numbers, Josh Anderson appears to have more upside than either Owens or Wise and to add more speed than Brian Anderson. The Sox and Braves have dealt before and may do so again.

http://minors.baseball-reference.com/players.cgi?pid=481

TomBradley72
03-29-2009, 04:40 PM
XM 175 (MLB) was reporting names like Flowers or Nunez for Cabrera. If it's anything other than "spare parts", I wouldn't be interested. Definitely not a solid prospect or anyone that can help us win this year.

Tragg
03-29-2009, 05:57 PM
XM 175 (MLB) was reporting names like Flowers or Nunez for Cabrera. If it's anything other than "spare parts", I wouldn't be interested. Definitely not a solid prospect or anyone that can help us win this year.
Absolutely. A top prospect for Cabrera (or Josh Anderson) would be nuts.

DirtySox
03-30-2009, 02:40 PM
Tigers supposedly acquired Josh Anderson.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/03/tigers-acquire-josh-anderson.html