PDA

View Full Version : Rays send Price to Durham....

jabrch
03-25-2009, 11:16 PM
In a season where they have a shot at winning the east, I am shocked they'd do this...

kwkonsl
03-25-2009, 11:21 PM
Im not surprised. They are doing it most likely so they can get another year of him before he can go to arbitration. They did the same thing with Longoria last year. Of course once they found out he was legit they gave him an extention buying out his years. If Price proves him self again he will also get a quick extention buying out his arbitration years. I bet we see Price in the bigs come early June if not earlier.

DSpivack
03-25-2009, 11:26 PM
I have him on my fantasy team. :angry:

cws05champ
03-25-2009, 11:44 PM
Im not surprised. They are doing it most likely so they can get another year of him before he can go to arbitration. They did the same thing with Longoria last year. Of course once they found out he was legit they gave him an extention buying out his years. If Price proves him self again he will also get a quick extention buying out his arbitration years. I bet we see Price in the bigs come early June if not earlier.
They also have Jeff Niemann and Jason Hammell that are out of options that need to make the roster. They probably audition them for a trade and then bring Price up.

Jjav829
03-25-2009, 11:51 PM
Not surprised at all. He threw 123 innings last year. There was no way they were going to throw him out there for 30+ starts this year. You had to figure this was coming all along. He'll go down and they'll slowly build up his innings so that sometime in late May or so they can call him up and unleash him on the AL East.

aryzner
03-26-2009, 08:53 AM
I have him on my fantasy team. :angry:
I almost know how you feel. In my draft I was about to grab him but then thought that perhaps I could pick him up later/post-draft because nobody in my league had picked him up towards the later stages of the draft. Maybe if he does come back in June I can nab him if I feel the need.

Boondock Saint
03-26-2009, 08:57 AM
Not surprised at all. He threw 123 innings last year. There was no way they were going to throw him out there for 30+ starts this year. You had to figure this was coming all along. He'll go down and they'll slowly build up his innings so that sometime in late May or so they can call him up and unleash him on the AL East.

Okay, that makes sense. Any other scenario, and he's likely their ace by the all star break.

doublem23
03-26-2009, 09:12 AM
With Shields, Kazmire, Garza, and Sonnanstine they already have a good rotation. Jjav is right though, there's no reason they shouldn't play it safe with Price, especially considering the core of their team is still so young, they're legit World Series contenders for at least the next 3-4 years. No need to gamble long-term goals for short-term risks.

Bump34
03-26-2009, 10:18 AM
not surprised at all. He threw 123 innings last year. There was no way they were going to throw him out there for 30+ starts this year. You had to figure this was coming all along. He'll go down and they'll slowly build up his innings so that sometime in late may or so they can call him up and unleash him on the al east.

bingo!!!

NLaloosh
03-26-2009, 10:21 AM
I can't believe how much talent that organization has!

HawkDJ
03-26-2009, 12:57 PM
Sweet, guess I'll be heading out to Durham Bulls games in April.

FedEx227
03-26-2009, 01:25 PM
With Shields, Kazmire, Garza, and Sonnanstine they already have a good rotation. Jjav is right though, there's no reason they shouldn't play it safe with Price, especially considering the core of their team is still so young, they're legit World Series contenders for at least the next 3-4 years. No need to gamble long-term goals for short-term risks.

Exactly. There is zero need to rush him, they still have a great rotation with or without him. Move him, Neimann and the rest of the guys up slowly and they'll be all set.

thedudeabides
03-26-2009, 02:11 PM

From what I've read, they really want to control his innings early and it's much easier to do in AAA. They are also concerned it will be tough on him facing AL East lineups all year long. So, they want to keep him a little less exposed in the beginning of the year. It sounds like this was the plan all along. Hard to argue with the Rays talent development, as of late.

WhiteSoxJunkie
03-27-2009, 01:05 AM
I can't believe how much talent that organization has!

I can't believe this organization was garbage for a decade and now they can send down the player with the most potential and not be too worried about it.