PDA

View Full Version : Colon Update

Lip Man 1
03-25-2009, 06:09 PM
Bartolo went 4 1/3 shutout innings today vs. Oakland. Allowed two hits, struck out four.

Scouts had him 91 on his fastball by the end of the stint.

Lip

LoveYourSuit
03-25-2009, 06:10 PM
Bartolo went 4 1/3 shutout innings today vs. Oakland. Allowed two hits, struck out four.

Scouts had him 91 on his fastball by the end of the stint.

Lip

He's heading in the right direction.

DirtySox
03-25-2009, 06:22 PM
Bartolo looked real good on the webcast. Contreras, not so much.

Dan Mega
03-25-2009, 06:33 PM
If he has other stuff and gets some movement on that fastball then that is a good sign. Fingers crossed.

nug0hs
03-25-2009, 06:53 PM
My colon is fine, thank you for asking.

veeter
03-25-2009, 07:04 PM
Bartolo is an interesting guy. HE knows when he's ready, and he's not going to push anything to impress people. Just like watching him work in a game, Bartolo paces himself and accelerates at the right times. When Jose last left us, he wasn't that good anyway. IMO, we'll get way more quality innings and starts out of Colon than Jose.

oeo
03-25-2009, 07:05 PM
Bartolo is an interesting guy. HE knows when he's ready, and he's not going to push anything to impress people. Just like watching him work in a game, Bartolo paces himself and accelerates at the right times. When Jose last left us, he wasn't that good anyway. IMO, we'll get way more quality innings and starts out of Colon than Jose.

Let's wait until Colon can stay healthy for more than a few weeks before statements like that.

RadioheadRocks
03-25-2009, 07:07 PM

Ba-da-boom, Tishhhhhhhhhhh

veeter
03-25-2009, 07:07 PM
Let's wait until Colon can stay healthy for more than a few weeks before statements like that.You're right, but I don't think Bartolo and Kenny would have agreed on a deal if they weren't pretty sure he could give it a go.

DaBearsSoxBulls3
03-25-2009, 07:08 PM

Thumbs down

Frater Perdurabo
03-25-2009, 07:38 PM
Maybe the two of them can "share" the fourth starter spot.

SOXSINCE'70
03-25-2009, 07:42 PM

Since he struck out 4 batters,is it fair to ask if they've had a "whiff"
of Bartolo Colon??Or is it Bartolo Cologne??:D:

EnglishChiSox
03-25-2009, 07:47 PM
Maybe the two of them can "share" the fourth starter spot.

Bartolo can start, go 4.2 innings then Jose can come in for the rest of the game. Simples.

thomas35forever
03-25-2009, 07:56 PM
http://www.instantrimshot.com/

Nice to hear about Colon though. Do you think he won the starting job today or does he need another one to prove himself?

slavko
03-25-2009, 08:03 PM
He throws a fastball 90% of the time, which requires less fine tuning than Contreras who throws an array of big breaking stuff. He should be ahead of Jose. 91...not bad...another 4 mph...we have a winner.

soxfan2504
03-25-2009, 08:07 PM
Since he struck out 4 batters,is it fair to ask if they've had a "whiff"
of Bartolo Colon??Or is it Bartolo Cologne??:D:

:tealpolice:

Lol.....when he does well, we get a whiff of Bartolo's Cologne. If he struggles, then we get a whiff of Bartolo's ****ty Colon. Hopefully he'll have enough Cologne this year to cover up the irresistible Colon smell.

Roof Shot
03-25-2009, 08:11 PM
Just got back from the game and I had a chance to watch him warm up in the pen. He seemed like he was throwing real well. Mostly fastballs, but he did throw some breaking pitches as well. He looked good...hopefully he can continue pitching well.

Frater Perdurabo
03-25-2009, 08:17 PM
Bartolo can start, go 4.2 innings then Jose can come in for the rest of the game. Simples.

Yep. Then you save the rest of the pen to back up the other starters. Jenks gets a guaranteed day off every fifth day! It's the formula for 162 wins!

DirtySox
03-25-2009, 08:36 PM
White Sox Excited About Bartolo Colon's Outing (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-26-white-sox-chicago-mar26,0,43939.story)

First time this spring that Bartolo has spoken with the media.

guillensdisciple
03-25-2009, 10:06 PM
The only way the White Sox succeed this year is with a fresh and healthy Colon.

Thome_Fan
03-25-2009, 10:08 PM
I just saw the title of the thread on the homepage and couldn't help but chuckle, even though I knew what you meant.

whitesox901
03-25-2009, 10:33 PM
glad to hear Colon did good today

Taliesinrk
03-25-2009, 10:45 PM
I guess this contradicts Peter Gammons who said today that Bartolo would only be ready for the cafeteria

oeo
03-25-2009, 10:50 PM
I guess this contradicts Peter Gammons who said today that Bartolo would only be ready for the cafeteria

Yeah, that was a dick comment. Probably bitter over Colon's Red Sox stint last year, and the whole playoff/bullpen scenario. You know Gammons, can't keep the bias out of his reporting.

voodoochile
03-25-2009, 11:18 PM

He even made a nice defensive play. He actually looks like he's in reasonable shape by Colon standards. He'll never be thin, but he's not the porker he was and if he can throw without pain, he could be a huge addition.

LoveYourSuit
03-26-2009, 02:12 AM

You would figure a guy who had life threatning issues just not too long ago would be a a bit more humble and respectful to others the rest of his life.

whatever.

DrCrawdad
03-26-2009, 08:15 AM
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee6/ccwolfe75/Untitled-1-1.jpg

cws05champ
03-26-2009, 09:24 AM
Yeah, that was a dick comment. Probably bitter over Colon's Red Sox stint last year, and the whole playoff/bullpen scenario. You know Gammons, can't keep the bias out of his reporting.

C'mon, it was joke that has been made on here about Colon a thousand times and people are now offended? IMO Gammons, even though he a big RedSox fan, does one of the best jobs of ANY of the baseball guys they have at ESPN about being unbiased in his reporting.
IIRC he was the only guy at ESPN that picked the Sox over the RedCubs in 2005, and he was giving high praise to Danks and Floyd last year when no one else was taking notice.

oeo
03-26-2009, 09:32 AM
C'mon, it was joke that has been made on here about Colon a thousand times and people are now offended?

I'm not offended, why the hell would I be? He offended Colon for absolutely no reason, however. It was the way he said it, and it wasn't very professional. The first thing that came to mind after he said it was, "what an *******." Comparing a reporter to what people say on a message board is just silly.

IMO Gammons, even though he a big RedSox fan, does one of the best jobs of ANY of the baseball guys they have at ESPN about being unbiased in his reporting.
IIRC he was the only guy at ESPN that picked the Sox over the RedCubs in 2005, and he was giving high praise to Danks and Floyd last year when no one else was taking notice.Just because they have bigger morons like Steve Phillips, John Kruk, etc. doesn't mean he's good. Sorry, not a big fan.

beasly213
03-26-2009, 10:18 AM
I'm not offended, why the hell would I be? He offended Colon for absolutely no reason, however. It was the way he said it, and it wasn't very professional. The first thing that came to mind after he said it was, "what an *******." Comparing a reporter to what people say on a message board is just silly.

Just because they have bigger morons like Steve Phillips, John Kruk, etc. doesn't mean he's good. Sorry, not a big fan.

100% agree. John Kruk may be the dumbest man in Sports Broadcasting. And that is saying something.

It's good to see that Colon looked good. If he can stay healthy that's a big plus for the Sox this year. If not they Sox have a couple guys they can insert into the rotation in Richard and Marquez.

everafan
03-26-2009, 12:14 PM
For Gammons, who prides himself on reputation, that is a shocking thing for him to say. For Kruk or some Joe Schmo on the radio, I would expect it.